• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
For me, I am increasingly put off by the idea of a 60, 70-hour campaign, and the games that held me longest this gen have been ones that I can play in short bursts and try out new things over and over again: racing games, sports games, Hitman.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
The games I tend to play have intrinsic replay value due to being mechanical deep. Whether it is strategy or action, I tend to gravitate towards games that reward you for putting time in or have a high enough learning curve. I also find it hard to just pick up and start a new game and if given the chance I rather just play something I am already playing so naturally I end up picking games that allow me to stick with them longer than most people.

Most people probably have a 100hrs at most with Dark Souls games but I have like 5 times that amount in all the Dark Souls games in my library. Idk if my choice of games leads me to not like picking up and starting new games or if my difficulty with starting games led me to only choosing games with replay value.

I should stress though that I dont replay games just to keep playing them. If a game does not satisfy me in one way or another anymore I will drop it and then take the plunge and start something new instead.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I don't think the games have outgrown replay value, I think most of us as gamers have outgrown replay value. I looked at replay value as one of the most compelling attributes to a game when I was a younger(10-18). I had a ton of free time back then, and not much(if any lol) money to spend on new games. I wanted bang for your buck. Now that I'm a lot older and can afford and buy new games pretty frequently, but I also have a full time job and other personal relationships to cultivate... yeah, replay value definitely doesn't really do much for me.

Aside from that, I think only Rockstar games are games I come back to to replay after I finish them. Or some Nintendo-made games

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you're old enough to post here, you have a backlog and no time to get to it, which may give games the appearance of being overextended. If you're a child with no money, you're pretty damn happy that games as a service, free to play games and DLC are options you can afford yourself or easily convince parents.

That's how I see it. It's still Time Vs Money; we just play for the opposing team now.

Teapunk robot

Jan 26, 2019
Kinda off-topic but some books/movies/shows , do in fact, have "replay value " , some are designed in a way that a late reveal put the rest of the work in a totally different context, making the act og re-reading/re-watching them so much rewarding and make you notice things you had no way of noticing them earlier.

Makes me think of Phoenix Wright.
The only example off the top of my head is
[spoilers for trials and tribulations]
At the end of the first trial Phoenix says that Dahlia would never say those harsh words about him
"Maybe she was like... I dunno ... a fake or something"