• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
I only hold it that way if I'm also cutting with a knife in my other hand.

Another question would be - who cuts meat with the fork in their left hand and then switches hands to eat? I've always done it that way.
I did it when I was younger, but it was like too much work so I just ended up learning to cut with my left hand

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
I've seen someone hold the fork with their fist, stab it into a piece of meat, then cut it with a knife in front of the fork only to take the fork out of the big piece of meat and pick up the small piece they wanted to eat. Absolute madness.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
jDIVJFW.png
Actually this is the correct ways to eat peas with a fork. It's a little tricky but once you get into the groove it's quite easy

alekth

Mar 2, 2019
Actually this is the correct ways to eat peas with a fork. It's a little tricky but once you get into the groove it's quite easy

For peas, I guess that makes sense. But I feel for rice, one would have to catch it mid air with chopsticks.

On a serious note about using a fork and knife to get the peas/rice, I've been taught quite the opposite to the British way (if convex side up is the British way). Hold the knife on the plate as a kind of wall, then scoop with the fork against the knife so that you don't scratch the length of the knife against the plate.

Last edited:

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Why are you switching hands to cut a steak
is your left hand that weak/uncoordinated you need to swap when eating steak
I never change fork hands
do you get the fork on the left at fancy restaurants

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I hold the fork from the pointy end and prod at things with the blunt end. It's tough going at times, can end up poking into my palms and I have to really chisel at things sometimes to get that blunt end to stab through but I feel It has made me more resilient.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
At the end of the day it boils down to if you switch the fork from your left hand to your right hand to put a piece of meat in your mouth after cutting it.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm wondering why you didn't post a screen cap of this so we can tell what exactly you mean by curve side up vs down since you could interpret it two ways.

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
This is the only scenario in which I put my fork into my mouth upside-down.
Same here. Meat requires more force to stab so this fork position solves that issue. If you are forking some soft pasta like ravioli or tortellini OR also need to scoop part of your bite while also stabbing then the other way would probably work just fine or better.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you switching hands to cut a steak
is your left hand that weak/uncoordinated you need to swap when eating steak
I never change fork hands
do you get the fork on the left at fancy restaurants

Most Americans switch the fork from their left hand to their right after cutting to put the food that has been cut in their mouth. I don't do that, and didn't know it was considered unusual here until someone commented that I "eat like a European" at a dinner party. Being mostly left-handed but easily able to handle a knife in either hand, it never occurred to me to switch. After that I started watching people switch hands while they eat and it's just ridiculously inefficient.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Most Americans switch the fork from their left hand to their right after cutting to put the food that has been cut in their mouth. I don't do that, and didn't know it was considered unusual here until someone commented that I "eat like a European" at a dinner party. Being mostly left-handed but easily able to handle a knife in either hand, it never occurred to me to switch. After that I started watching people switch hands while they eat and it's just ridiculously inefficient.
why is that even a rule, you're just cutting food why do you need your primary hand to move up and down a few times instead of using your off hand?

i swear if typing was around 1000 years ago we'd all be beholden to some weird ass rules about only using your left hand to type and right for the numpad or some shit

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
This is blowing my mind.

I have never seen anyone eat curve side up, but it is a thing. How do you pile stuff on the convex side of the fork? Logically, it makes no sense.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Waiting for that inevitable "Have I been breathing wrong?" Era thread any day now...what am I talking about, of course someone is gonna find out about using your diaphragm correctly and post a thread about it soon.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Waiting for that inevitable "Have I been breathing wrong?" Era thread any day now...what am I talking about, of course someone is gonna find out about using your diaphragm correctly and post a thread about it soon.
To be fair, I see a lot of people breathing in a way that their chests inflate and deflate instead of their stomachs. They remind me of fighting game characters with their exaggerated breathing animations.

I'm gonna go and say that probably a bunch of people don't quite know how to breath properly 😮‍💨.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Everybody knows that you hold it sideways, cut your food straight down with the edge, and then use the fork to fling the cut food from the plate into your mouth. Use the opposing thumb for tension.

It takes years of practice to get right but that's what Etiquette Schools are for.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
There are two ways to use a fork and both are useful given the circumstance.

730-american-fork.jpg

You use it this way when not using a knife for looser, one handed meals, in your preferred hand. The fork is used as a kind of scoop this way with the prongs acting to skewer anything along the way that a spoon wouldn't be able to. Use it for things like pasta, rice dishes, mex bowls, curries etc.

730-continental-fork.jpg

You use it this way in conjunction with a knife for more solid foods like steak, chicken etc that you have to slice up to consume. Use it in your non-preferred hand. You stab downwards on the food with the fork, slice that piece of the food off with the knife, and now you've got a skewered piece of food ready for consumption. I can't imagine using it the other way in this scenario.

Neither of these are about etiquette. It's straight up easier eating food knowing both these methods.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I only hold it that way if I'm also cutting with a knife in my other hand.

Another question would be - who cuts meat with the fork in their left hand and then switches hands to eat? I've always done it that way.
I'm right handed, so normally fork on the right unless I'm cutting with a knife. If the knife is just for pushing, I hold fork on right and complain about lack of bread. But, damn, I haven't done the "switch hands after cutting" thing since I was little, like, I prefer to do complex motions with my right hand but just bringing into my mouth previously stabbed food is easy enough for my left.

Sarobi

Oct 25, 2017
I hold a fork the same way I hold a spoon, except I stab the food items instead of scoop them. Does this resonate with you? Are we the outcasts of Era?!

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
This is blowing my mind.

I have never seen anyone eat curve side up, but it is a thing. How do you pile stuff on the convex side of the fork? Logically, it makes no sense.

I'm European and I'm pretty sure we'd make fun of anyone piling food on the convex side, it goes against the fork's very own design. This lady is talking about her British husband though, and the British are known for swimming against the current for the sake of it.

As for the American way, it just seems super annoying, you cut all your food and then you eat instead of cutting as you go seems like something you'd only want to do in one of those (very American) food eating challenges.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Hmm I guess I've been eating like a king.for example when I cut meat from a piece of steak, I grab it with my fork curve upside and into my mouth.

Wow nice been doing it like a gentleman day1. Woot!

Ribs

Dec 10, 2017
The most efficient way is using the fork with your dominant hand. Scooping food facing up, turning it facing down only for cutting.

No switching hands. No stacking food on the back of the fork. Who has time for that nonsense.