• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The Dark Knight is my all time favorite movie but I honestly do not think I can ever take the Joker seriously as a character anymore because gamer Joker, we live in a society, Joker's trick, etc. have completely infected how my brain perceives the character and regard him as too ridiculous for reasons that aren't even his fault within the narrative. Before I would have said he was my favorite villain of all time but man, I don't know anymore. I really do live in a society.

inb4 Shrek

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Lol memes are pretty much "overdoing a joke to death" but no, it's never stopped me from enjoying shows/movies I love.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Memes have only made my love for Revenge of the Sith strongah!

I can't even watch the film anymore without cracking up.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
"One does not simply walk into Mordor"

I saw a special showing of Fellowship last year and you could hear the audience groan.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
not that I can think of though I usually don't pay attention to what're the most popular memes and usually arrive late to the party

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Everything is memes

You cannot escape memes

But also everything kinda sucks so

OT, I feel like there is some meme that is relevant but I can't think of it atm. Usually the things that keep me from enjoying something are having grown up around crazy mofos who see shows like Sons of Anarchy and think "I wanna be like those people they are role models", which is some shit I have trouble getting out of my head when watching something, and this person I know who is a fuckin' creep and ruined a few things for me by putting really gross interpretations of certain media in my head. Messed up a lot of anime for me by going "see that pose? That's fanservice" every other shot. But him being a fuckin' creep is a meme within my friend group so maybe that's applicable?

Last edited:

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Idk if this counts but their is an abridged series of Code Geass on YouTube called Code Ment and I watched the whole thing a long time ago. I am physically incapable of watching Code Geass anymore. All I think about is the abridged series now when I see it.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Siiva gunner has ruined my ability to listen to Despacito or hotline bling without risking having to explain to normal people in my life why i burst out laughing.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
I wouldn't say ruined but it's hard to take Thanos seriously or see him as a threat when he's been memed to death.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Not necessarily. I think they get obnoxiously overdone sometimes, but I don't think movie / series memes are around nearly as much as they used to be.

Oct 28, 2017
The Bran memes from GoT S8 were pretty annoying, but he was barely a character at that point anymore. I guess if the show treats a character as a meme, the damage is done and memes don't hurt?

Oct 25, 2017
Memes usually enhance the experience. I don't think I would be able to enjoy the prequels as much if it wasn't for the memes.
The only way they can ruin anything for me is if the creators change the plot because of them which is what likely happened with GOT.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What's that? Star Wars prequels are now infinitely more entertaining thanks to memes?
Krg9uLm.gif

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Nah, but maybe it's just because I limit my exposure to memes by not spending so much time looking at memes.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
It's literally impossible to watch TDKR without bursting out into uncontrollable laughter within the first 2 minutes

Vapelord

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
Being an old that yells at clouds, having the Hulk dab and the chillin' playing Fortnite was pretty cringy in the latest Avengers.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i enjoy certain properties vicariously though memes, like GoT season 8 for example

never seen the show, but S8 brought me alot of entertainment