• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will this affect your purchase of future Atlus titles?

• Yes I will not buy another Atlus title.

• Yes I will not buy any title involving Hashino

• Yes I’ll only buy them used.

• No but I won’t buy Catherine Full Body.

• No I will continue to purchase future Atlus titles.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I won't be buying Catherine, but I will still be buying Atlus games, mainly persona and SMT

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The poll results are really telling aren't they.

Anyway, I'll still be getting Atlus games, but I won't be getting Catherine FB. Then again, I wasn't really interested in getting it again in the first place.

Well that would mean caring about human beings over a videogame and for some gamers that's a pretty hard thing to do.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
No, Atlus makes games I love, and I'm not going to stop supporting them over one person. Atlus is a lot more than just one person.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've never played Catherine before, and that type of game does not interest me at all. But I did skim through the whole linked thread and that stuff does not offend me. I've never boycotted any type of media, and doubt I ever will. I have no personal interest in the Catherine game, but not because of the OP's reasons.

As for Persona, I've played a couple of them. Regarding bullying scenes, that's totally realistic when you're talking about a high-school setting. In fact it would be *extremely weird* to have a video game about high school social life, without any bullying whatsoever and every kid buddy-buddy with each other. That would feel very off and break immersion as far as I'm concerned.

Yall never seen fat kids getting bullied growing up through elementary, middle, high schools? That happens every day in every country on earth.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
The poll results are kinda like telling folks to boycott Amazon because they're terrible to workers. Cept then people still end up using Amazon and that sweet prime delivery 😩
To be fair, all the 'yes' and 'no, but not Full Body' added together outnumber the 'no. I will continue to purchase Atlus titles.'

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I'll keep buying them and also criticize the problematic aspects. There's no hypocrisy in that. I did the same with DQXI and their continued use of Sugiyama's music.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
damn the poll results are not what I expected considering the other thread on Catherine.
There's an easy logical reason why. ERA seems like it would ban the opposing viewpoint (or even a middling viewpoint) in the other thread, so a lot of posters aren't able to comment. But voting allows lurkers who might not be able to express their views.

KingKunta

Nov 10, 2018
Atlus is one of my favorites, so nah. Nothing gonna stop me from buying their games...I guess. Still hyped for Catherine an all that. /shrug

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
I'll only buy SMT games that aren't Persona or involved with Hashino. It helps that I like these games more then Persona anyway.

The poll results are kinda like telling folks to boycott Amazon because they're terrible to workers. Cept then people still end up using Amazon and that sweet prime delivery 😩
Eeeeh, Amazon gives services to people who are tight on time and money so there aren't many Amazon alternatives. Atlus is just one game company and there are many other alternatives if you want JRPGs or any good game honestly.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never played Catherine before, and that type of game does not interest me at all. But I did skim through the whole linked thread and that stuff does not offend me. I've never boycotted any type of media, and doubt I ever will. I have no personal interest in the Catherine game, but not because of the OP's reasons.

As for Persona, I've played a couple of them. Regarding bullying scenes, that's totally realistic when you're talking about a high-school setting. In fact it would be *extremely weird* to have a video game about high school social life, without any bullying whatsoever and every kid buddy-buddy with each other. That would feel very off and break immersion as far as I'm concerned.

Yall never seen fat kids getting bullied growing up through elementary, middle, high schools? That happens every day in every country on earth.
Please fuck off

Not only does complete apathy at utter transphobia say more than enough about you, but to be so fuckin apathetic to people as a whole that you want homophobic bullying in games is beyond excusable.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Ill be going based on content. Unless Atlus USA cleans it up significantly, no Catherine.

As much as I adore the positive parts of person those will never be enough to deal with such blatant trans + homophobia

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
There is definitely a kind of hypocrisy in the "I'll buy it but I'll still criticize the problematic aspects" because unless it's so widespread that it gets picked up by news organizations, they won't care about criticism. They just care that people will buy their product.

If, after several several examples of homophobia and transphobia, you're still buying their games and they're still not stopping then you're part of the problem.

I loved Persona 4 for the most part but sometimes a line has to be fucking drawn.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
huh?? I didn't bully any fat kids or any kids growing up, because I was just an average under-the-radar kid who got along with everyone. I wasn't on either end

I was just pointing out about any video game that's completely set in high school social life -- wouldn't make sense or feel realistic if every character got along with everyone else. That'd be weird in that type of setting?

Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna buy Catherine depending on how they handled Erica this time around. And, well... look how that turned out.

Mainline SMT stay pure tho. Gotta spite YHWH and punch Lucifer.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not buying Catherine. And Re:Fantasy is on probation.

I'm still buying Persona 5R because I'm a pretty committed Megaten fan.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm not gonna get Full Body & I'm considering avoiding future Hashino titles. But I already got the Smash Ultimate Fighters Pass & will likely get Persona 5 Arena if/when that happens.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is definitely a kind of hypocrisy in the "I'll buy it but I'll still criticize the problematic aspects" because unless it's so widespread that it gets picked up by news organizations, they won't care about criticism. They just care that people will buy their product.

If, after several several examples of homophobia and transphobia, you're still buying their games and they're still not stopping then you're part of the problem.

I loved Persona 4 for the most part but sometimes a line has to be fucking drawn.
Some People arent even pretending to think the bigotry is actually bad in their excuses at this point in the thread lol

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown

This

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
huh?? I didn't bully any fat kids or any kids growing up, because I was just an average under-the-radar kid who got along with everyone. I wasn't on either end

I was just pointing out about any video game that's completely set in high school social life -- wouldn't make sense or feel realistic if every character got along with everyone else. That'd be weird in that type of setting?
You are the problem and this is in itself homophobic, you realize that right

Asking to not be demonized isnt fuckin kiddifying your dumb anime games where teens fight monsters

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Lmao, go read again before spilling this crap.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I was never going to buy it, I thought the first Catherine sucked. The concept was ok but the gameplay was baaaaaaaad. 🐑

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I didn't know what to vote for. I will have to think about it some more. A few weeks ago I bought Catherine on Steam and TBH if I knew about this stuff then I wouldn't have.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017

That's a fair question. There are ways of respectfully adapting high school bullying/trauma that don't contribute to the victimization of the affected group. Persona 4's treatment of Hanako doesn't fit the bill. It's horrendous.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Please fuck off

Not only does complete apathy at utter transphobia say more than enough about you, but to be so fuckin apathetic to people as a whole that you want homophobic bullying in games is beyond excusable.

Asking to not be demonized isnt fuckin kiddifying your dumb anime games where teens fight monsters

I think the point the person is trying to make is that bullying/teasing is a thing that happens in high school, so it makes sense for it to be in the game in some form.

Yosuke is a homophobic piece of shit. You could deceiver it as being in the closet himself (which was cut), or he's just your typical shitty teenager. I think having characters have negative character traits isn't a bad thing, as long as you point out how that character is in the wrong for thinking that way.

That's where one of the problems with P4 (and P3/P5) comes in. It's supposed to star a MC you can self insert and make decisions as, but at no point can you ridicule or reprimand these characters for their phobic actions. I don't think anyone ever reprimands Yosuke in the game for his treatment of Kanji, except for like maybe once with Chie telling him to "be a little nicer" to Kanji.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Not really. There are a lot of things we monetarily support that are odious, but we can't completely abstain from everything. We can pick and choose how we want to protest particular things without being labeled hypocritical as long as we're at least outwardly vocal or cognizant of it.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the point the person is trying to make is that bullying/teasing is a thing that happens in high school, so it makes sense for it to be in the game in some form.

Yosuke is a homophobic piece of shit. You could deceiver it as being in the closet himself (which was cut), or he's just your typical shitty teenager. I think having characters have negative character traits isn't a bad thing, as long as you point out how that character is in the wrong for thinking that way.

That's where one of the problems with P4 (and P3/P5) comes in. It's supposed to star a MC you can self insert and make decisions as, but at no point can you ridicule or reprimand these characters for their phobic actions. I don't think anyone ever reprimands Yosuke in the game for his treatment of Kanji, except for like maybe once with Chie telling him to "be a little nicer" to Kanji.
In his first post he literally says the utter transphobia in CFB doesnt bother him, so read his post again with that apathy in mind

Also lets not pretend: Persona is a highschool fantasy. Nothing in Persona is realistic because you play a cool, popular, smart, ladies man who fights demons.

People wanting that homophobia are wanting to see minorities discriminated against in a goddamn social fantasy for realism, when the basic premise, setting, and themes of the games themselves arent realistic

Persona 5 got the closest to grounded but even that gives up halfway through

Koeta

Dec 12, 2017
If they make a game I like I'll buy it, I'm not going to let the actions of 1 person or 1 game ruin my fun.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

What's homophobic, I specifically was referring to the fat kid example with the kid breaking a bike by sitting on it. That's what I said the first post about fat kids being bullied

I have no plans on buying any more Persona games, I didn't get P5. But it's not for the OP's reasons, it's because I'm over 40 and have no interest in high school social life settings anymore. I didn't finish P3 or P4, and that's why I didn't buy P5

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not buying their crap anymore. I won't contribute to their bigotry in this medium.

One thing is to be like most of the japanese devs and deny the existence of the lgbtq community, but another fucking worst thing is being straight homophobic and transphobic in their products.