• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will this affect your purchase of future Atlus titles?

• Yes I will not buy another Atlus title.

• Yes I will not buy any title involving Hashino

• Yes I’ll only buy them used.

• No but I won’t buy Catherine Full Body.

• No I will continue to purchase future Atlus titles.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yes, i did. But i still don't get your point. Here people have the choice to stop playing stuff that's hateful and bigoted, supporting a company that doesn't even address this issue at all and gives the ok to the shit this man writes.

Lmao, then it's even worse.
Still, you can always see the poster's true colours when they say that dumb "politicsss out of muuuh gamezzz1!1!!1!!!" argument. It's always the same.
Seriously lol

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Honestly, I don't think a blanket boycott would be helpful on things like this because I can't see enough people getting behind it unfortunately, and if you decide you're never going to get another Atlus or Hashino game again regardless of whether they stop doing this shit or not I kind of feel like in a way that removes any incentive to get better, because your sales are gone regardless. I think it's important to reward good behavior in cases like this, and hell even just stop touching on subjects that are creating these controversies would be a step in the right direction

Well, that's the thing with Boycotts - they're not meant to be forever. The purpose of them is to say "Hey, I'm not buying your shit until this problem is fixed" and then resume buying if fixing occurs. Is this not something people understand? If Atlus doesn't fix this, you keep boycotting until they do. But if they prove they've sufficiently moved past this, then you end your boycott.

Chances are Hashino will always be a piece of shit, but Atlus as a whole can still fix this problem so I'm 100% behind boycotts until they do. They can absolutely stop Hashino's garbage from permeating through their works.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
How they didn't reflect their views in their works?

All the art creations are an extrapolation of the personal views of an author, and I firmly believe in the teachings of Erwin Panofsky.

In one of the most iconic Luis Buñuel's films, 'Él', the protagonist is a pathological jealous tormenting the live of his lover, and Luis Buñuel confessed in interviews that this was an extrapolation of his own personality.

Most of these important writers of the 20th century that I cited tend to have shitty autobiographical books describing how jealous they were from his colleagues, and how they actively worked to destroy them. I'm thinking in Thomas Bernhard, my favorite writer in this century.

Pablo Picasso was a misogynist piece of shit who never stayed loyal to his wife and who paid prostitutes to have sex and then he paid them to appear in his paintings. So the paintings of women that you are seeing most of the time in a museum, are a reflect of objectized women.

The thing is that at the end, you are watching a film of Luis Buñuel because none other filmmaker describes as well the psychological subconscious of the human being, even when this human being that he is describing, a misogynist macho, is a self-portrait of him.

At the end, when you see a painting of Picasso you are enjoying of his revolutionary use of colors and shapes.

And when I play 'Catherine', I'm simply enjoying with the creative level design, even if I find that the story is disgusting.

So your seperating hte art from the artist, that's fine.

It's just hard to take solace in that when, 4 times now, the artist's message has been, "you shouldn't be afraid to be who you truly feel you are, as that makes you a stronger person in the end....unless you're queer, in which case you are a deviant that should be ostracized." There's a lot of room for nuance in artistic pieces, but when that's what you're constantly saying, again and again, the artistic message is still something very hateful and piercing to many people.

This isn't like Sugiyama creating a masterfully done score and then using the proceeds from said score to fund anti-lgbt+ groups and hate crime deniers. This is a director of the piece going out of his way to single out queerfolk and say "these people are, at worst, deplorable, and at best, going through a childish phase".

Dhoom

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
The controversy has not affected my opinions in the slightest. I will enjoy the Persona 5 Update, Catherine Full Body, SMTV, Project ReFantasy and whatever else Atlus makes. They are good developers who make good games that I enjoy.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's the thing with Boycotts - they're not meant to be forever. The purpose of them is to say "Hey, I'm not buying your shit until this problem is fixed" and then resume buying if fixing occurs. Is this not something people understand? If Atlus doesn't fix this, you keep boycotting until they do. But if they prove they've sufficiently moved past this, then you end your boycott.

Chances are Hashino will always be a piece of shit, but Atlus as a whole can still fix this problem so I'm 100% behind boycotts until they do.
Here's the thing though imo: Hashino will probably always be a piece of shit on this issue, and he's too popular a director for Atlus to be willing to fire him even with shit like this going on. As such, I think the best case scenario is that Hashino just stops expressing his personal views on these issues in his games, and so I think the best way to enact change given this scenario is by both not buying shit like Full Body that pulls this shit while continuing to buy the games that don't pull this shit and engaging in an active conversation on the issue, because it's the best way to make it clear why we're not buying the stuff that's shitty and why sales of those specific titles are dropping.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Not for me. But I don't really care about politics.
You may not care. But your actions are still political. If you buy Catherine, for instance, you are making a political statement. That you think the content isn't transphobic enough to stop you buying the game, or you don't care about transphobia enough to stop a purchasing decision. I am not judging by the way, I own Annie Hall on DVD.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Atlus has more games. This is like swearing off Square Enix as a whole because of the DQ composer.

I'm still teetering on the edge of not getting Full Body, because I'm still in it purely for multiplayer. But the main Catherine pro who basically invented the competitive scene has swore off it so I mean.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
Not at all, actually pre-ordered Full Body yesterday. I enjoy their games and buy most of them day 1.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I don't understand why people have to turn games into politics. I will continue to buy any Atlus game I'm interested in.
Almost like games are made by people with ideologies and worldviews which are in-turn reflected by the games themselves.

But sure, let's pretend the games about sexuality, social upheaval, and identity have nothing to do with politics...

Grow up.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm sure as fuck not buying Catherine but I don't know about future games. Hopefully this controversy makes them change for the better because they're a talented studio who doesn't deserve to make shitty games.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Oh yes, i did. But i still don't get your point. Here people have the choice to stop playing stuff that's hateful and bigoted, supporting a company that doesn't even address this issue at all and gives the ok to the shit this man writes.

The message was an answer to other message quoting other previous post in which I perfectly explained my posture on this subject:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ha...ture-atlus-titles.100155/page-3#post-17998513

Yes, I will continue buying and enjoying Atlus games, it's one of my favorite companies.

In the same way as Pablo Picasso was an egoist piece of human shit that fucked up to a lot of contemporary artists, and I can go to a museum and enjoy one of his paintings.

In the same way as Luis Buñuel was a misogynist and a compulsive jealous who treated to his wife like shit, but he's still one of my favorite filmmakers.

In the same way as most of the best writers of the 20th century were egoist persons trying to throw shit to the rest of their colleagues, as a way of taking the fame for them.

In the same way as I'm a leftist and I can watch a film of Gaspar Noe filled with justifications of the fascism and alt-right positions. And I love how from an intellectual standpoint, he tries to defy my own vision of the world, creating something close to a performance to fuck off the brains of the spectators.

As someone who loves art, I have learned to separate the art pieces from their creators.

And Katsura Hashino created one of my all-time favorite games, 'Maken X'.

I'm only a bit jealous of the PS4 owners, because it's a game that I really want to play on Switch.

The only difference after knowing all the shit surrounding this guy, it's that there is no way in which I will go to drink some beers with him.

My beers and whisky time is reserved only for nice people.

I don't see the need in starting drawing circles, repeating the same arguments.

I love video game design, and in the case of 'Catherine', I'm only interested in the design of its puzzles.

In the same way that I consider that if you're trying to learn cinema, the documentaries of Leni Riefenstahl are essential. Because while they are nazi propaganda , she was pioneering most of the film techniques used in the genre.

And to watch a film of Leni Riefenstahl doesn't make me a nazi.

In the same way as purchasing a game from Atlus, don't make me a transphobic.

And that is said by an activist that has spent a lot of his time fighting for equality, and not from a chair writing on a keyboard but on the streets, sometimes putting on risk my own safety.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will buy Catherine Fully Body on release as well as any and all future mainline Persona games (spin-offs are case to case basis).

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The message was an answer to other message quoting other previous post in which I perfectly explained my posture on this subject:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ha...ture-atlus-titles.100155/page-3#post-17998513

I love video game design, and in the case of 'Catherine', I'm only interested in the design of its puzzles.

In the same way that I consider that if you're trying to learn cinema, the documentaries of Leni Riefenstahl are essential. Because while they are nazi propaganda , she was pioneering most of the film techniques used in the genre.

And that is said by an activist that has spent a lot of his time fighting for equality, and not from a chair writing on a keyboard but on the streets, sometimes putting on risk my own safety.
Watching a Roman Polanski movie may not make me a pedophile, but the fact that he's made some breathtaking work certainly wouldn't stop me from wanting to see him tried for his crimes.

Dinoegg_96

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Not really, no. I'll buy it when it's cheap, but that's because I wasn't that interested in buying the PS4 version.

The mainline Persona (and expansions) and Project RE Fantasy will be day one purchases, though.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Watching a Roman Polanski movie may not make me a pedophile, but the fact that he's made some breathtaking work certainly wouldn't stop me from wanting to see him tried for his crimes.

I don't think anybody is implying that brilliant artists that have commited heinous crimes should be exempt from justice.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I was never going to buy it, I thought the first Catherine sucked. The concept was ok but the gameplay was baaaaaaaad. 🐑

Yup, it's a great concept but a really lame game. IQ for the PS1 is still my favorite block puzzle game. Hell if Catherine was a skin of that it would be perfect.

As far as buying their games, yes, I still will as long as they are fun, highly doubt his views are gonna change. I still want to buy this game for the story even if I have to suffer through the gameplay.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

You're not giving money to nazis if you watch those films. Nor to Picasso when you admire his work. Would you pay the KKK for their material, for example? What about alt-right comics? Because that would be practically generating a benefit and a push forward for those movements.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

Watching a documentary by Leni Reifenstahl does not provide material support to a Nazi.

Purchasing Catherine does provide material support to a transphobe and bigot.

Also, nice virtue signalling with that last line. "I've put myself on the line, unlike all you keyboard warriors."

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think anybody is implying that brilliant artists that have commited heinous crimes should be exempt from justice.

My point is that creators are not exempt from social criticism just because they are exceptional at what they do. It should not be pass, even if, in real life, it often is.

The underscore of Leni Riefenstahl should still be that they were a nazi, just how Hashino's underscore should be that he is a biggot. Not that many people seem to have a problem with that, if this thread is any indication.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I will not be purchasing them.

The poll results don't surprise me after seeing what people here were like in threads about Sugiyama and DQ games.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The writing was on the wall that Atlus isn't the company that they're used to be with Shin Megami Tensei IV cutting off story content to be sold later as DLC.

Or that Etrian Odyssey Untold locked content behind a story mode that no one asked for.

Or that Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold locked a class, bosses and parts of maps behind DLC.

Or Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse pandering hard to the Persona audience.

Or the latest Atlus remakes features a new girl that ruins the stories and bad artstyles (Strange Journey Redux, Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology).

Or that Persona 3 and 5 Dancing has shitloads of day 1 DLC.

And now we're here with Catherine Full Body's endings (don't forget the DLC!).

Let this be known, modern Atlus is a mistake. I'm thankful for Etrian Odyssey V and Nexus however, those games are among my favorite Atlus games.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't bought their games in years.

I genuinely have no idea why so many on this site gives them so many free passes while making this huge stink about stuff like The Last Night, Kingdom Come, etc. Seems like Japanese companies(see Dragon Quest) get more leeway to be bigots.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Catherine is the only game of theirs that was on my release radar, will probably not buy it now. If they cut it out from the US version I may still consider buying it, since that would mean that at least Atlus USA gets the message.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The writing was on the wall that Atlus isn't the company that they're used to be with Shin Megami Tensei IV cutting off story content to be sold later as DLC.

Or that Etrian Odyssey Untold locked content behind a story mode that no one asked for.

Or that Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold locked a class, bosses and parts of maps behind DLC.

Or Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse pandering hard to the Persona audience.

Or the latest Atlus remakes features a new girl that ruins the stories and bad artstyles (Strange Journey Redux, Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology).

Or that Persona 3 and 5 Dancing has shitloads of day 1 DLC.

And now we're here with Catherine Full Body's endings (don't forget the DLC!).

Let this be known, modern Atlus is a mistake. I'm thankful for Etrian Odyssey V and Nexus however, those games are among my favorite Atlus games.
I feel like equating any of the other stuff you mention to the Hashino controversy going on right now is honestly a bit shitty because they're completely separate issues that have more to do with personal taste than the actual dignity and fair treatment of a group of people

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I like pretty much everything about the games outside of the issues, so I'm not going to stop. I believe it's possible to enjoy something despite its problematic aspects, such as Dragon Quest or H.P. Lovecraft.

I'm also not 100% sure Hashino hasn't become a boogeyman symbolizing a larger problem, so even if I were boycotting the games, I'm not so sure just boycotting his games would make sense.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I will not be purchasing them.

The poll results don't surprise me after seeing what people here were like in threads about Sugiyama and DQ games.

Yeah. I really hope i never become a person that doesn't care and ignore another's suffering just so i can play some games or listen to some music by X bigot, racist or whatever.

Lol at puting these games as some sort of psychological exploration of a bigoted mind. This is just trash, and by paying for them you support the dude and his ideas, and the company that allows them.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Polls are interesting in this regard because as far as things are considered, the people who care about this are the minority so wouldn't the outcome be evident without a poll? I mean we're aware we are a minority.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Poll's are interesting in this regard because as far as things are considered, the people who care about this are the minority so wouldn't the outcome be evident without a poll? I mean we're aware we are a minority.
If anything, Era should be proud the number of people who aren't in the last group who just don't give a shit at all about these issues (or at least not enough to affect their purchasing habits in any way) is as high as it is here

Oct 26, 2017
Polls are interesting in this regard because as far as things are considered, the people who care about this are the minority so wouldn't the outcome be evident without a poll? I mean we're aware we are a minority.
I truly didn't think we would be a minority here at Resetera. Typing that out and re-reading it now kind of seems comical and silly....which is sad.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like equating any of the other stuff you mention to the Hashino controversy going on right now is honestly a bit shitty because they're completely separate issues that have more to do with personal taste than the actual dignity and fair treatment of a group of people
I did mention the Catherine Full Body endings to be fair but yeah I had no intention of coming across that way. The controversy just prompted me to say this. Maybe I should create a separate thread about Atlus being on the decline in general, away from the transphobic issues.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
You're better off. One helped abolish the death penalty, one abducted a child.

It's weird that their bodies of work are held in the same light but...here we are.

I'm happy to see that we coincide in at least one thing, and I think that this the real value and great purpose of art pieces :)

Oct 25, 2017
You may not care. But your actions are still political. If you buy Catherine, for instance, you are making a political statement. That you think the content isn't transphobic enough to stop you buying the game, or you don't care about transphobia enough to stop a purchasing decision. I am not judging by the way, I own Annie Hall on DVD.

Every decision you make isn't political. That would assume that you know the political effect of every decision you make. Most consumers are oblivious.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I'm not getting Catherine Full Body since Catherine never interested me, but I'll continue to buy future Shin Megami/Persona titles.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Err recent events? It's not news that the Persona games have had issues. I will probably buy whatever P5R is because, not to trivialize the homophobia, but it's a really small insignificant bit in a very long game - a game that actually has a small but non-offensive depiction of a transgender (well possibly, but at least they're not the butt of jokes either way). I'll probably never re-buy the heartbreak that was Persona 4 unless they miraculously rework the worst parts of the game, the Catherine Full Body ending is pretty bullshit so I probably won't buy that. Guess you could say I'll be keeping an ear out for this stuff before I purchase an Atlus game.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure as fuck not buying Full Body less because I think that will actually accomplish anything and more because I simply have no desire to play a game with that much transphobic garbage in it. Future games? Well, I'll never entirely write off a whole company forever, but I'm definitely on a wait-and-see approach with Atlus right now.