• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Every time I log on to this place, it's a new headline of something negative, something clickbait, or a "call-out" thread. A large sum of post amount to nothing more than name calling and dog-piling. At times, this is due to serious, important subjects that need to be discussed and can be personal to users. Often, it's an overreaction or exaggeration of events. An example, since ND and Neil Druckman are hot tickets right now, what appears to be a simple mistake of forgetting to credit one of the many artist who worked on the game, a thread was made pretty much vilifying the entire company saying they steal everything and are apparently no good thieves and an awful group. Then the other side vilified the artist (on twitter actual verbal attacks) calling her names like attention seeking, clout chasing, and the like. Hours? A day later the indy artist was properly credited and her album began trending on Spotify. Honestly, I don't know (and really don't care about a cover of a cover inspiration credit) what the full story is, but it did seem like an awful lot of negative energy for a topic that was not a big deal. I'm certainly not suggesting we don't put companies, public figures etc., on notice when they are legit bad actors, but where is the spirit of "we'll be better" when we left the old place?

This is pretty much reddit/gamefaq level of vitriol now. Everything someone doesn't like is "trash". "Gross" "disgusting" "get fucked" I think are the most common adjectives on gaming side. With all the "industry needs to do better" posts I keep seeing popping up regarding the breaking news, I do hope some of that mindset is directed here. And no this is not just a vent thread, I've not reached some breaking point and am personally doing fine. I just kinda care about this place and it's lame seeing it fall from its lofty goals. I did say this isn't just a vent thread though, here's some basic suggestions

- discourage sensationalist thread titles
- enforce values of respectful discourse.
- discourage being the "first to post a story" and encourage research before making a thread
- discourage inflammatory discussions
- encourage the golden rule

I don't get what is gained from calling some EA execs "pieces of trash" for 29 pages. Even if it's true, what does that do for discussion? What does that do to change anything if we're still going to buy the next battlefield?

Sure, every thread and discourse can't be full or rainbows and ponies, we live in the real world, and it's ugly and nasty and real issues need to be discussed. Frankly, there's a lot of intelligent posters here, and I know a higher level of maturity can be reached in discussing these topics. Still, there's a bad spirit here man, and it wasn't like that in the beginning. I dunno, we're all gamers and have some common ground. We like games enough to follow the industry, that's fairly unique, and we should celebrate and cherish our friendships here. Lately it's starting to feel like "all lives matter" vs "black lives matter" though. Fox News vs CNN. That's whack fam.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Resetera has a bunch of users who have a major hate for Naughty Dog and they're kind of running the place right now.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Totally agree

i almost calling here "toxic", everything people say its shit

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, it's been like this for a long while

I tend to just stick to community threads now, or discord

Hero.of.Lgnd

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spot on dude. The issue isn't so much people voicing their negative opinions or disagreements, it's them doing it in an incredibly toxic way that does not get called out often enough.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Well written, OP, and I agree with thee. There really isn't much to read on the page most days. Unless you want to hate or attack something directly. We need more fun topics, which I guess is up to us all to try to add to the discussion. I had an idea of a topic and you have given me some energy to focus on it. I will put some efforts shortly into it.

Oct 27, 2017
there are great threads and great people, but this place can be insanely exhausting sometimes. it gets difficult to browse through all the vitriol.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
This site gets embarrassingly negative over anything and everything and people too attached to game series get overly defensive over any perceived slight. It's just overreactions for days.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
I like this site a lot but imho it never captured the heights of GAF at its peak. It's the vibe of the thing, y'know?

Oct 25, 2017
Resetera has a bunch of users who have a major hate for Naughty Dog and they're kind of running the place right now.

TBF it's not just ND. Trey are they hot topic right now, but it'll be something else a few weeks from now. The main issue is just a lack of discussion. Legit discussion. I agree with OP. This place is gamefaqs/reddit levels

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
One think I dislike a lot is when people complain about unconfirmed and not yet experienced content from games that haven't released yet. Happens everywhere else in gaming enthusiast communities, and it sucks to see it here.

Not just on gaming side, but an issue I see a lot here is that people feel the need to throw in a dig when disagreeing with another poster. "That's not true, and you'd know that if you ever played a game in the series" kinda thing. It's enough to prove your point. You don't need to also insult another person. I try my best to never escalate things online or in real life. Just be respectful (unless the person is a hateful bigot).

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly, I don't think it's just Resetera, it feels like that is a reflection of a large portion of the gaming community overall.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mostly here for the OTs in hangouts but it does feel like there is too much negativity sometime.
I guess that's just how the gaming news is nowadays, and here we are simply reporting what is happening in gaming.
There is some great research and interviews thread though, and I love them.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The analogy at the end of your post doesn't really follow as those examples are clearly defined as being on the right side of things vs the wrong side of things.

The problem here, on the gaming side, is that sensationalist takes and concern trolling takes precedence over nuanced well thought out discussion. We see it all the time when it comes to topics revolving around Microsoft and Xbox especially. People entrench themselves into their corners and refuse to talk about issues that don't fit inside their sphere of acceptance in good faith.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
People only care when it's one of the things they like that's getting criticized. I suggest frequent use of the new ignore feature if you don't want to see certain threads.

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Yeah it definitely feels like there's not a lot of caring going on here at the moment. And I get that there's a lot of other shit going on, but this place should be something of a refuge from horror, not just a slightly different flavour of it.

I would respectfully ask you to change or reword your last point. I'm not sure what you mean and I'm sure you don't want it to mean what I think it comes across as.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the spirit is gone, it is just concentrated in certain communities. For example, generally speaking you can talk retro games and retro news without someone coming in and dropping a hot take like "actually Super Mario World is embarrassing." It's a smaller group of people who are generally a little older. As opposed to like 9 pages popping up over twitter spats...which certainly can be fun. But they were on other boards too.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Agree 100% and it's something that I've been feeling a lot these past couple of months but didn't want to talk about. The site has a lot of hate flowing right now. Maybe it's partly due to the current state of the world affairs, people are on the edge. And sadly, I sometimes feel that the moderation team contributes to the mob mentality.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
thats what happens when the moderation bans as much as they do.

Do the mods ban people too easily? Yeah I would agree with that. But they also are dealing with sooo many posts every single day and you have to be pretty firm because if you give an inch people are never going to relinquish that again without screaming about hypocrisy. It is incredibly easy to not get banned from this place if you simply act like a respectful adult.

It'sYaBoi

Oct 31, 2017
I agree OP. I'm just a lurker but I used to be energized by reading threads. Now they often just feel draining.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping it get's better around console launch period, right now it's depressing. Just some of the comments from people are very standoffish and dissolved.
Early on we were super happy to be off the old place and to have a new place and start fresh, the freshness wore off for some.
Sometimes I make general comments in threads, only to receive super standoffish and argumentative responses when I return, it's actually insane how often it happens.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yup felt the same for around a year now. Nearly everything is an argument with someone who has to be right, a console war, someone hating on something just because, or an actual issue that is just really depressing.

Oct 28, 2017
Can't help but feel like this thread is going to get locked with a snippy "Can we not?" admin post. But put me in the agree column. TBH it's the same on both sides of the forum. You'll have a hot take, or a controversial item. 36 pages of posts and new information coming in, but then non stop people reading the title, or looking at the first post and coming in on page 46 or whatever, as hot about it as if none of the conversation or new info existed.

Everyone is very excited to pile in with the hot takes, and that goes for posters and thread-makers alike.

Even in theory innocuous threads like "What was the worst mainline Mario game?" seem like they're contributing to the general negativity as opposed to meaningful discussion.

Last edited:

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
This board fucking THRIVES on negativity, so it's kinda to be expected.

But yeah, I agree. People need to chill the fuck out.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
funs threads always die too soon or get locked here unlike the old place.
also inb4 the lock

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think the loss of E3 and the difficult year that 2020 is proving to be has meant that there's more reflective critique and less pure happy hype. Which I'm not saying is wholly good nor wholly bad, but I look forward to the site having something to collectively smile over again.

Edit: Fantastic OP btw.

Last edited:

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well said, game media is setting a very bad example at the moment with the constant negativity in all respects.This is supposed to be a joyful medium that brings us laughter and smiles.

I am guilty of it myself sometimes and for that I apologize. I will work to be better about this.

Oct 27, 2017
This place has always have a negative slant towards the main topic of discussion, but also please keep in mind that we have a pandemic going on, and people are on the edge. Not justifying it, but there these are symptoms of something larger. Moderation team can only do so much.

Oct 25, 2017
That's not true at all, really. It's a perception of things because those who have positive things to say are usually in the game OTs and not "disingenuous thread #24"

However, the sort of dog-pilling and bad faith/low-effort posts can quickly spiral out of control when the topic is difficult to draw a line from the moderation side. The best example I can give is the massive shift in discussion around Joe Biden over the past few months.

Also, this website is massive and probably incredibly difficult to moderate.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a combination of the times + people having an unhealthy relationship with their systems or developers.

It'll get better but measures can definitely be taken to help.

A simple one would be to ask someone to think for 5 minutes before making the thread/post they want to make. And see if it really is worth posting.

Oct 27, 2017
How about having a gaming section and a non gaming section for gaming related stuff. I feel like this place gets caught in the middle of agendas rather than the main purpose of discussing games.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming seems to full of negativity right now and I guess that spills over into places like Resetera.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It's literally the vibe of the whole world right now, but

An example, since ND and Neil Druckman are hot tickets right now, what appears to be a simple mistake of forgetting to credit one of the many artist who worked on the game, a thread was made pretty much vilifying the entire company saying they steal everything and are apparently no good thieves and an awful group. Then the other side vilified the artist (on twitter actual verbal attacks) calling her names like attention seeking, clout chasing, and the like. Hours? A day later the indy artist was properly credited and her album began trending on Spotify. Honestly, I don't know (and really don't care about a cover of a cover inspiration credit) what the full story is, but it did seem like an awful lot of negative energy for a topic that was not a big deal.
don't misrepresent a thread and a real issue

if you don't care you can just ignore it. that's what they introduced the ignore thread function for.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
It's kind of been like that almost since the beginning to be honest. In today's internet world, you are either right or you are wrong. There is no in between and you'll get attacked for taking or not taking a side.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
thats what happens when the moderation bans as much as they do.

Does this make any sense? People are too reactionary and mean-spirited because... of moderation? Wouldn't it be the opposite? I don't get it.

This seems like the exact sort of hot take that would spiral the whole thread away from meta-discussion into exactly what's being talked about, tbh. I'm not really that in the thick of Naughty Dog discussions, but even if this was true somehow, there's no reason discussion has to be so shallow.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
I think the negativity is a result of what's going on in the real world. Everything feels like shit these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.