• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
Same difference. CG just means computer generated, and typically refers to offline rendered (such as an in-engine demo) whereas runtime refers to - you guessed it - a real time demo.
What? Not at all. A CG can use any engine and represents nothing for the final product. An in engine demo shows the technology that will be involved in the game and where its limit is.

You can make an insane CG trailer with photorealistic results of a Gameboy game. You can't do that if it's in engine, because it'd still be back and white, 2D, boxy and with a ridiculous resolution.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What? Not at all. A CG can use any engine and represents nothing for the final product. An in engine demo shows the technology that will be involved in the game and where its limit is.

You can make an insane CG trailer with photorealistic results of a Gameboy game. You can't do that if it's in engine, because it'd still be back and white, 2D, boxy and with a ridiculous resolution.

many modern engines are very capable of rendering near photorealistic scenes when the requirement of real time is thrown out the window. "in engine" these days may as well be the same as CG.

that was the initial "in engine" reveal trailer for BFV. the actual game, visually, is not even in the same stratosphere

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

that hasn't been true for years now. "in-engine" is the new bullshots

Oct 26, 2017
I know CDPR swears up and down that their demos so far run on current console but I still think Cyberpunk 2077 E3 2018 gameplay demo is the bar I've set for next-gen, and---

beaten

CDPR never said that their demos are running on consoles, it's high end PC.

People should not complain if they are using a 2013 hardware to play a 2020 game, of course it will look bad lmao

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Tetrinski please don't mistake my comment as downplay. In-engine is actually how a lot of CG is done today for games, as their engines usually support far more when offline rendering and without instability issues that are usually only present in runtime (until they are ironed out during development).

The cutscenes in older Uncharted games are in-engine, for instance, and feature more accurate shaders - and things like subsurface scattering simulation, which is then absent during gameplay. The same is true in The Last of Us. It wasn't until Uncharted 4 that they could more accurately depict skin and eyes and lip-sync during runtime.

You're absolutely right that the previous teaser was in-engine, but that does not mean it isn't offline rendered on a computer. CG does not only mean stuff like professional animations made by studio blur, for example.

mrqs

Oct 25, 2017
Any news on this?

There's this Square Enix tech demo from last year:

Epic's destruction demo is pretty amazing:

It's pretty limited. I'm thinking this next-gen could be the most impressive graphical jump ever. Nearing photo-realism in some games. Seeing TLOU 2, RDR 2 and those Capcom games makes me really excited. They're already next-gen on current generation platforms.

Hopefully we get more tech demos or tech demonstrations throughout the year. If any of you have anything, please share!

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Next-gen console is going to push the envelope on the subtler effects (think lighting, smoke, particles). It's not gonna be a readily apparent jump because the easy wins like polygon bumps have long entered the realm of diminishing returns.

Where I'm exited is that VR may not be gimped. Full 4K/eye visuals at 90Hz+
I wouldn't call lighting subtle. It plays a way bigger role then people think. If we get good lighting this gen it will be amazing.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I think people aren't realizing how big this is going to be. Loading screens while in game will be a thing of the past.

Agreed. An example, and correct me if I'm wrong, would be like how in Skyrim there is a loading screen whenever you walk into a building or dungeon from the outside world, but with the new consoles you'll just walk right in with no loading. That's how I see it anyway. Complete game changer.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Agreed. An example, and correct me if I'm wrong, would be like how in Skyrim there is a loading screen whenever you walk into a building or dungeon from the outside world, but with the new consoles you'll just walk right in with no loading. That's how I see it anyway. Complete game changer.
That is something that's already possible with this generation. Look att The Witcher 3 or RDR2. While yes, that will certainly be true for next-gen games as well, I think we'll see insane speeds when it comes to traveling faster in general.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
That is something that's already possible with this generation. Look att The Witcher 3 or RDR2. While yes, that will certainly be true for next-gen games as well, I think we'll see insane speeds when it comes to traveling faster in general.

Ah true. Maybe because Skyrim was the last open world game I dipped into. Really frustrating how it has to load to get into a city etc.

Fast travel will actually be fast next gen! That's for sure.

Ashok

Jan 24, 2019
From a pure tech standpoint, the Half-Life: Alyx trailer is the best looking anything I've ever seen. Already watched it a million times. 2020 is the new 1998.

mrqs

Oct 25, 2017
Photogrammetry and Ray Traced lighting will make the true life-like scenary of the next generation. I expect to have near perfect scenes.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think people aren't realizing how big this is going to be. Loading screens while in game will be a thing of the past.
Loading screens aren't a thing of the past on PC no matter what kind of drive you're packing. They will be even less of a thing of the past in more memory-hungry next-gen games.

Last edited:

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Basically this.

PS5 is basically going to be a 5700XT by all rumors. the day PS5 drops, PC versions of it's multiplats will look better.

The last console that could truly threaten in any respect a top end PC at release was Xbox 360. Xenos GPU was comparable to the best PC GPU's of late 2005, even if PC's could exceed in other areas and were overall more powerful. It doesn't happen any more.
Well Xbox Series X will probably be better than 95% of gaming pc's out there. Ryzen 8core,SSD,raytracing,12tf gpu. Its a monster, comparable what xbox360 was back in 2005.
Hope PS5 will also be powerful on its own.

This good for gaming in general, especially for PC guys.This gen we were held down by very slow Jaguar CPU and kinda midrange gpu.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Second that Halo Infinite was next gen

Also Star Wars 1313, Watch Dogs 2012, Deep Down & Kingdom Come Deliverance Beta might give you an idea about next gen visuals too, im expecting similar to current gen but with more polish, which describes the games i listed, Deep Down's particles & super high quality volumetrics will be sure possible on PS5, Capcom ran it on a Sandy Bridge i7/GTX 590 i believe, PS5 will be quite beyond that.

Star Wars 1313 was outdone on current gen hardware with Jedi fallen order

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Shocked at no one posting the in-engine trailer for what they're building with Hellblade 2

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing yet. Remember when pc gamers were claiming that ps4 games would be lucky to look as good as witcher 2? And for sure, the high end ps5 titles will blow away anything right now on PC

This. People saying current PC games at Ultra are funny.

The Hellblade 2 trailer is more representative of what AAA next gen exclusive games will look like.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
That clip is running on 4 high end GPUs worth $60000. So I don't think so

This one's great because this demo was actually released and I can run it on my computer.

Wait for the consoles to be revealed first? I'm sure the Sony event in February will have a few tech demos from the likes of Square-Enix just like the PS4 reveal did. In the meantime, both Unity and Epic released these recently.

From what I gathered Heretic demo wasn't real time. Just used Unity to make CG... The newer video makes that more clear, despite the description on the older video...

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shocked at no one posting the in-engine trailer for what they're building with Hellblade 2

Yeah this is my bar for next gen too, even though people here have said not to expect that quality in-game, just in cutscenes, I'll still be blown away if we get real-time cutscenes like that.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Well Xbox Series X will probably be better than 95% of gaming pc's out there. Ryzen 8core,SSD,raytracing,12tf gpu. Its a monster, comparable what xbox360 was back in 2005.

This good for gaming in general, especially for PC guys.This gen we were held down by very slow Jaguar CPU and kinda midrange gpu.

yeah, that's a good point. consoles get outspecced by high end pc's, but their baselines also pummel the vast majority, i'm assuming 95+%, of actual pc's in consumer hands. thats often forgotten.

Even the 1.3/4 TF original Xbox One...for starters >50% of Pc's sold are laptops, and consoles outpower probably 99% of those.

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
People do know this is a necrobump right?

The published specs sound more powerful than most gaming PCs on the market right now. It's possible and even likely that by the time Series X and PS5 do come out, we'll have mid-range gaming GPUs that are comparable to them. It'll probably end up being more similar to the current-gen consoles and their refreshes.

It'll still cause a significant increase in minimum specs for PC games going forward though. CPUs and RAM from 2013 are already getting long in the tooth for PC ports like Red Dead 2 and Modern Warfare.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What

tumblr_pxp7ml7cf21ypkb3uo5_540.gifv

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People do know this is a necrobump right?

The published specs sound more powerful than most gaming PCs on the market right now. It's possible and even likely that by the time Series X and PS5 do come out, we'll have mid-range gaming GPUs that are comparable to them. It'll probably end up being more similar to the current-gen consoles and their refreshes.

It'll still cause a significant increase in minimum specs for PC games going forward though. CPUs and RAM from 2013 are already getting long in the tooth for PC ports like Red Dead 2 and Modern Warfare.
I expect the 2080 and its next Gen equivalents from Nvidia and AMD to be around $400-$500 by holidays. Provided the coronavirus dies down

Jan 21, 2019
wow, thanks for posting this. this looks beautiful.

when do you think we'll reach this level of fidelity on consoles? PS6 OR 7? don't think 5 is it
A game artist I talked to laughed at this implying that if this is what it takes to impress me, I'm not prepared for true next gen games. So I'm pretty positive.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
wow, thanks for posting this. this looks beautiful.

when do you think we'll reach this level of fidelity on consoles? PS6 OR 7? don't think 5 is it

no that's all artist talent, nothing to do with specs.

here's what the guy who developed the scene said:

I read a lot of "you need a quantic nasa computer to run that" so here is some stats :
- no optimization at all
- no pre-baked animation
- 20 trees (70000 poly each, no lod)
- 100 bushes (6000 poly each, no lod)
- 35-60fps 1080p on a gtx970 (with epic/high quality)

He also only used basic building blocks in unreal engine.
next gen should trounce this easily. Even a 9.2TF PS5 would be twice as fast as the Gfx card he used to run this.

Jan 21, 2019
maybe at 30 fps lol
though the guy would know much more than me tbh

Well, I really don't wanna be that guy but I feel somewhat indebted to him for sharing his knowledge with me (he didn't tell me anything about the consoles specs, only some things about the game and what he as an artist is able to do) so I need to defend him here.

He claimed that his game is aiming at 4k60 on next gen consoles. It's a full next gen exclusive. He told me that he at times has problems maxing out the consoles. To be fair, he clarified that they are doing optimization to reduce the cost of RT. So they are doing hybrid RT with voxel stuff (too smart for me). So yeah, take this with a grain of salt, believe me or not but I believe him, we talked for a couple of months until he bid his farewell as the console are coming closer and he didn't wanna slip up with something stupid.

He has also posted in this thread if you wanna go hunting but I will not disclose anything. ;)

But yeah thanks to him I know that next gen will not be about diminishing returns but mind blowing.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
as good as Koola's stuff is, it's not that hardware intensive unless you want to go really high resolution and frame rate

but goddamn is his artistic sense amazing