• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
The run up to previous console generations usually had moments where a few companies would release tech demos to give us a preview of what they were aiming for with next-gen graphics: The Final Fantasy VI Interactive CG tech demo for the PS1/N64 era in 1995, the FF8 PS2 tech demo in 1999, the tech demos for Metal Gear Solid 4 and FF13 in 2005 and 2006 respectively, the "Samaritan" Unreal demo in 2011. I don't think we've had that moment yet and next-gen consoles are probably less than 24 months away.

For last-gen, even as far back as 2011 there were games mainly focusing on PC hardware which offered a glimpse of what would become current-gen graphics when cranked up on PC, like Battlefield 3, The Witcher 2, and Crysis 2. I don't even think we've had that moment on PC yet for today's games.

The last time someone posted a thread asking "what will a next-gen game look like" I saw a lot of people just post screenshots of Red Dead 2 or Last of Us 2, but those are current-gen games. Red Dead 2 is already running at 4K on an Xbox One X. It doesn't look like a different game on base PS4. TLOU2 will still run on base PS4 and will look like the game you saw at E3, just with worse IQ. TLOU2 will be cross-gen at best. Even Cyberpunk 2077 is just cross-gen -- the current-gen equivalent of Assassin's Creed IV or Far Cry 3. Do those games really look light years better than AC Unity? I think people just post those answers because they haven't been shown any higher goalpost yet.

Do we even know what the Halo Infinite footage we've seen is running on? If you watch a DigitalFoundry video analyzing the latest trailer they say it's pretty impressive, but that's also cross-gen if I'm not mistaken.

Even if next-gen launch GPUs aren't a huge leap forward from the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X GPUs, we haven't seen what a game looks like when optimized for those GPUs as the minimum spec. Even if PS5 and Scarlett only have around GTX 1080-level performance, we haven't seen what a game that requires a 1080 at minimum looks like, not even a tech demo from what I can tell. Today's AAA games are all designed to achieve some acceptable level of performance on a 760.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Wait for the consoles to be revealed first? I'm sure the Sony event in February will have a few tech demos from the likes of Square-Enix just like the PS4 reveal did. In the meantime, both Unity and Epic released these recently.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

yea those were the 2 that came to mind.
then again, not much from game developers making tech demos, which is kind of disappointing.
guess we will see in february.

The Halo Infinite trailer is probably running on next gen Xbox hardware.
i felt it was a disappointing showcase of next gen, as it didnt show what is possible with the 2 major shakeups of next gen, the CPU and the SSD.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Second that Halo Infinite was next gen

Also Star Wars 1313, Watch Dogs 2012, Deep Down & Kingdom Come Deliverance Beta might give you an idea about next gen visuals too, im expecting similar to current gen but with more polish, which describes the games i listed, Deep Down's particles & super high quality volumetrics will be sure possible on PS5, Capcom ran it on a Sandy Bridge i7/GTX 590 i believe, PS5 will be quite beyond that.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Nothing yet. Remember when pc gamers were claiming that ps4 games would be lucky to look as good as witcher 2? And for sure, the high end ps5 titles will blow away anything right now on PC

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Want some rubber duckies

Kinda hit diminishing returns. Most people myself included wouldn't be able to pick out graphical enhancements without something like digital foundry

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Even Cyberpunk 2077 is just cross-gen -- the current-gen equivalent of Assassin's Creed IV or Far Cry 3. Do those games really look light years better than AC Unity? I think people just post those answers because they haven't been shown any higher goalpost yet.
I expect Cyberpunk on current consoles to look like dogshit. Like MGSV or Watch Dogs on PS3.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Want some rubber duckies
7799442064_319e82a303_b.jpg

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was super underwhelming, though. The CG teaser from the previous year was more exciting / visually impressive.
We have kinda just hit diminishing returns I think. Either it is too expensive to justify making higher quality art assets, or the hardware leap from generation to generation is not what it used to be. Probably both.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I figure some studio will make a purpose built, mealtime raytracing demo running on the latest hardware next year (like a top end ampere or navi)

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Next-gen console is going to push the envelope on the subtler effects (think lighting, smoke, particles). It's not gonna be a readily apparent jump because the easy wins like polygon bumps have long entered the realm of diminishing returns.

Where I'm exited is that VR may not be gimped. Full 4K/eye visuals at 90Hz+

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017

Edit: My mistake. This is footage of real cars racing on a Tokyo highway.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
We have kinda just hit diminishing returns I think. Either it is too expensive to justify making higher quality art assets, or the hardware leap from generation to generation is not what it used to be. Probably both.
I think it was just what they had polished and ready to show. Also not really a fan of 343 has done with Halo so far, but who knows. Maybe they'll surprise me this time.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
For tech demos, Book of the Dead could be another good shout:
book-of-the-dead-2-672x372.jpg

For your Battlefield 3 equivalent, look to Star Citizen:
A1AA08D579E03978A8DCA2BF252191E07C9EFA94

This game is a good example of something the PS5 can manage that the PS4 can't, thanks to the CPU and SSD. Too many detailed assets to stream-load at speed for current gen consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
Graphical leaps these days are too gradual for a tech demo to be truly impressive like it was 15-20 years ago.
Also gamers have been burned so many times from footage that was doctored or ran on more powerful than retail hardware that they may not trust tech demos anyway.

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't really know about Cyberpunk but we'll see. I still feel like on base PS4 it won't look as bad as last-gen Watch Dogs 1 or something like that. The way CDPR talks about the game, it sounds like its priority is current-gen with next-gen being a bonus. I just looked up the specs for that 2018 gameplay demo and it was running on a 1080 Ti.

Right now I'm thinking it could be this gen's GTA5. GTA5 still looks good today but also obviously looks like a last-gen game. You may get the sense that the base PS4 is buckling under the pressure to run CP77 while being amazed it's even managing it, but I don't think it's going to look like an ugly version of the game.

This game is a good example of something the PS5 can manage that the PS4 can't, thanks to the CPU and SSD. Too many detailed assets to stream-load at speed for current gen consoles.

I was going to mention that, but in terms of pure graphics it's not that far ahead of current-gen games, definitely not to the degree that PC BF3 and Witcher 2 were ahead of 2011 console games. It's really just the system and draw distance that put it out of reach of current consoles.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Graphical leaps these days are too gradual for a tech demo to be truly impressive like it was 15-20 years ago.

Basically this.

PS5 is basically going to be a 5700XT by all rumors. the day PS5 drops, PC versions of it's multiplats will look better.

The last console that could truly threaten in any respect a top end PC at release was Xbox 360. Xenos GPU was comparable to the best PC GPU's of late 2005, even if PC's could exceed in other areas and were overall more powerful. It doesn't happen any more.

nikatapi

Jan 11, 2018
I honestly feel we're already noticing diminishing returns on graphics.
Unless we're talking about VR or super high resolutions (for which you will need the appropriate equipment for) i feel like apart from ray-tracing the next gen won't blow our minds.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
For tech demos, Book of the Dead could be another good shout:
book-of-the-dead-2-672x372.jpg

That Book of the Dead demo was literally about what you can do today with Unity's photogrammetry pipeline, and runs on a PS4 Pro with the performance you'd expect from any current gen AAA game.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
The Unity tech demos are indicative, although it may be by the end of the gen until we can reach the Heretic one.

I feel like many people are underestimating how much better visuals can be with the tech jump we will get. Xbone X and PS4 pro are held back by base consoles and CPU, PC is held back by console baselines and budget in most instances.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
That Book of the Dead demo was literally about what you can do today with Unity's photogrammetry pipeline, and runs on a PS4 Pro with the performance you'd expect from any current gen AAA game.
Yes, but no AAA game has forests this detailed today, even Kingdom Come. Maybe Battlefront gets close? So I think it's a fairly good visual example of what to realistically expect next gen, when scaled up to a big open world setting and with gameplay systems on top. I don't expect TES6 will look much better than this for example. I'm sure closed space games like Uncharted etc will blow this tech demo away of course =)

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
People keep posting current-gen games as examples.
I mean, the Cyberpunk footage we've seen definitely isn't running on a PS4/Xbox One, but you said that doesn't really count since it's cross gen. So you're asking if we've seen footage of next gen games yet, and the answer is no. If we had, I'm sure you would have heard about it here.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Companies are maybe trying to avoid it since it became a bit of a meme last time around.

Tradesman

May 22, 2019
I know CDPR swears up and down that their demos so far run on current console but I still think Cyberpunk 2077 E3 2018 gameplay demo is the bar I've set for next-gen, and---

beaten
I swear I read that e3 demos and the later public showing had ray tracing enabled?? When switched to normal rendering performance boost is pretty big I would imagine so might not look as bad people think on consoles. I think it will be 30fps tho

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I expect open world games to look something like Detriot become human next gen.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Want some rubber duckies

Kinda hit diminishing returns. Most people myself included wouldn't be able to pick out graphical enhancements without something like digital foundry

I dunno', when you see extremely dense hair animating correctly and naturally crinkling cloth on jackets, pants, and dresses, I think you'll notice.That's not even to mention how many GPU-heavy materials and detailed fabrics will become common now that there won't be as much fear of bogging the system down. As much as we can expect denser foliage, improved indirect lighting, better shadows, and great image quality, I think character artwork is where the biggest 'wow' moments are going to be. And then we'll see many of those techniques achieved in cross-gen games on PS4 and wonder why we were holding back for so long.

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
Those are some convenient assumptions. Halo trailer was def underwhelming if you aren't a long time fan. Honestly, what from the trailer looked next gen and not just "new"?

And I been a fan since Halo3. I just didn't see it.