• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
México
Mexican here. Our country is big. Not as big as the USA (we used to be larger some years ago before we lost Texas) but it is the 13th largest country in the world.

I live in a city that is border with the USA. Fortunately, I have traveled a lot, both in Mexico and the USA thanks to my job.

But I never traveled to CDMX before. I'm 34 now. I was 32 the first I traveled to CDMX, and last week I was there again for a week.

What an incredible city. The atmosphere of the city is great. I felt safe all the time. The food is godly. The entertainment is endless.

What are your thoughts of CDMX?

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Not scientific or anything, but when like the second thing you mention is that the city feels safe, it makes me worry lol

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be there the 14th-21st next month (unless the govt shutdown prevents my renewed passport from getting here)

Any suggestions or must dos? Staying in Condesa. Have something Saturday night or else Id be going to the Cruz Azul game.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to go last summer for a summer school trip, but i became to worried about my finances.

I was watching Total Recall recently and wondered, where did they film that?

Turns out it is in Mexico City for it's futuristic look (back in the 80s).

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
I'll be there the 14th-21st next month (unless the govt shutdown prevents my renewed passport from getting here)

Any suggestions or must dos? Staying in Condesa. Have something Saturday night or else Id be going to the Cruz Azul game.
My training was in Condesa. My hotel was near, in Zona Rosa. If you are going to be around Condesa, please check Pizza del Perro Negro (Black Dog's Pizza). Absolutely delicious.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
No, would love to one day tho.

I'm actually in Mexicali right now for a doctors appointment. Got here a few hours ago and then gotta drive back home to California tonight, about a 3-4 drive.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
I wanted to go last summer for a summer school trip, but i became to worried about my finances.

I was watching Total Recall recently and wondered, where did they film that?

Turns out it is in Mexico City for it's futuristic look (back in the 80s).

Where are you from? If you are from the USA, you shouldn't be worried about your finances. Your dollars are worth a lot here. I think I spent around $300 USD for two people in food all week.

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
I was born there. It is truly something I cannot convey to someone who hasn't lived there. More fun than living in any city in the US for me, and it's not nostalgia. And the food, not one place here in the US that serves "Mexican" food has made think it compares. Maybe one place. But I really miss freshly made tortillas and bread right out of the oven, and just certain customs.
And you are damn right you have to be careful in certain areas, like everywhere else.

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
I went once when I was a little child for a little bit (my parents are from Zacatecas), don't remember much.

However, I'm planning on going in March or the summer for a week with my gf and another couple. I've always heard how beautiful it is, and we're looking at AirBnbs in the area (likely Condesa or Roma Norte). Round trip tickets are only like ~270, and Airbnb is stupid cheap for some awesome looking places. I'm surprised not more people talk about it. The city itself looks amazing.

Not looking forward to being the only Spanish speaker of a group consisting of myself, a Korean and two blonde white people from Iowa though lol.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
I was born there. It is truly something I cannot convey to someone who hasn't lived there. More fun than living in any city in the US for me, and it's not nostalgia. And the food, not one place that serves "Mexican" food has made think it compares. Maybe one place. But I really miss freshly made tortillas and bread right out of the oven, and just certain customs.
And you are damn right you have to be careful in certain areas, like everywhere else.
I was going to say that I had a lot more fun in CDMX than in NYC (similar cities) but didn't want to sound rude. Might be bias though.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, a few times, it's an amazing city.
Not scientific or anything, but when like the second thing you mention is that the city feels safe, it makes me worry lol
I think it's a reflection of the reputation it got. It's not really earned, while there are some sketchy neighborhoods in Mexico City, you're unlikely to go to them if you're visiting.
If you go by murders per capita it's lower than many American cities (and not only cities that have reputation for being dangerous like Baltimore, for example it's lower than Miami, Dallas or Boston).

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
The school summer trip costed at around $2,000 for everything and 3 Spanish college credits, but I needed to make sure I had enough money for my actual fall semester of classes. I am in the El Paso area, so I can visit Juarez anytime (and Juarez does have some great historical locations), but Mexico City where I would like to visit.

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
I was going to say that I had a lot more fun in CDMX than in NYC (similar cities) but didn't want to sound rude. Might be bias though.

What it was for me maybe the convenience, not having to travel so far and so much just to do one thing. There is a never ending supply of activities, the cultural places, the museums, the restaurants, the transportation is cheap and available without need for a car. the people are great, always something interesting to see. Did I mention the food?
But yeah, living there like I did has made me biased. But one thing many Mexicans friends say and I agree, you just somehow enjoy your time more. In the US it feels like it's all a rush to nowhere for some reason, like you are confined. Over there it's all just more relaxed and enjoyable. For the most part, there is insanity too.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Mexican here but I've never been to Mexico City. I'd be up to go in a few years once I have cash (hopefully).

Dai101

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
absolutely amazing city. also definitely the cheapest trip i've ever been on. Flight was $230 from Houston and food/uber/everything was dirt cheap.

We surprisingly didn't see many tourists there when we went around the city until we visited the pyramids. Was kinda nice honestly but we did stick out like sore thumbs being a family of 3 tall black people. People immediately knew we were likely American. I'd reccomend CDMX to anyone.

El Moro has the best churros anywhere in the world (i've been to Chocolatería San Ginés
in Madrid and El Moro was better with more variety) . and it's 24 hours.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was born in it molded by it! (ok not MOLDED but i did visit once a year for a month for like 14 years straight)

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I didn't know about a Total Recall scene being filmed there. It hasn't changed much.

Moving from A to B from or thru Periférico takes at least one hour, which is a dreadful experience if you are trying to get some rest at the hotel.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
absolutely amazing city. also definitely the cheapest trip i've ever been on. Flight was $230 from Houston and food/uber/everything was dirt cheap.

We surprisingly didn't see many tourists there when we went around the city until we visited the pyramids. Was kinda nice honestly but we did stick out like sore thumbs being a family of 3 tall black people. People immediately knew we were likely American. I'd reccomend CDMX to anyone.

El Moro has the best churros anywhere in the world (i've been to Chocolatería San Ginés
in Madrid and El Moro was better with more variety) . and it's 24 hours.
Mexico City is one of my favorite cities on the planet. I would say that a morning spent at the national anthropology museum, followed by incredible barbacoa at el Hidalguense, a nap, and later churros and chocolate at El Moro is pretty much a perfect day.

LV426

Nov 14, 2017
Born there. Only been there a handful a times, but everytime I visit it I love the experience.

Riding the metro during peak hours is insane.