• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
Real talk. We're reaching the breakpoint where we have to choose to radically change our society and our way of living at large or let the status quo that's gonna kill us all one way or another continue.

But what if it can't be fixed? What if, just like depression and other mental health issues, it doesn't want to be fixed?

Have you ever been so frustrated with the current state of the world that you feel like it's not worth fixing?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
OP has a good gimmick going on. Crushingly depressing, cynically nihilistic posts with no reprieve.

If it's not a gimmick then may god, in his infinite non-existence, have mercy on your soul OP.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you think going outside is gonna fix all my problems, you're completely mistaken

Sorry, it was just a figure of speech and also just me guessing that you spend a little too much time going down rabbit holes on the internet. I obviously know nothing about your life, so you're right. But also, if your mental health is on the decline, then don't ignore that.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
While I can't say that I don't want to see things fixed, I can understand the OP's mindset in this regard. It's frustrating to see how much progress can be made in any one area, only for people to easily tear that progress down and make it seem as though we're starting from scratch again. I don't feel that people learn the right lessons in most cases, and I think people are overly reliant on things that they demonize. Also, to be frank, there are too many people out there who aren't smart enough to make the sorts of decisions we have them making.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
Look man, I lived 17 years with 2 dictators ruining the life of me and everyone I know. I moved a few years ago, but I was still affected by it and pissed off.
There was never a point I thought "yeah, what are you gonna do? Let them take everything and destroy our homes, its never getting better"

If this is about climate change, go vegetarian. Vote for green candidates. Protest.
If this is about Trump or some other elections, vote vote vote, call your representatives or whoever you call and tell them 'fuck the alt-right' or whatever.
Don't conform to a shitty life just cause it's hard to change it. It CAN be fixed.

Edit: oh for what it's worth, my home country is still controlled by a dictator. But this year has seen the most progress for freedom or change in my whole life.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's depressing if you look at everything that has to be done as if it has to be done by you all at once, but a social revolution would apparently involve a lot of people cooperating over a long period of time, so it's just way too early to be throwing up your hands.

OP
OP
Hawkster

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
It's depressing if you look at everything that has to be done as if it has to be done all at once, but a social revolution would apparently involve a lot of people cooperating over a long period of time, so it's just way too early to be throwing up your hands.

I dunno, there are times where I think of myself as a wannabe revolutionary.

But of course, other times I think like a depressed nihilist where I just want it to end

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why the Serenity Prayer exists. Change what you can, accept what you can't. Try where you can.

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, this is your second dumb thread, following up the "no laws" one.

Stop being ridiculously nihilistic, and think about other people just a little bit, for god sake.

Pretty sure people being caged/bombed/disenfranchised would love for things to change for the better.

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Nope. I am not that pathetic.

Its a nonproductive mindset.
Amazing post. Sometimes I think some of y'all induce your own anxiety. Take a step back.

Don't let the pessimism regarding an issue cloud your logic. I'm super curious how some of you deal with the day to day. It could explain so much.

World's too big. One issue at a time and start small start locally.

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
maybe you need a therapist, a lot of your posts are so doom and gloom

Or take a break from Era. At the least sign out and refrain from posting for a bit. I get it the world's seems like shit but you gotta keep grinding.

Conincidetally that other thread about echo chambers this is why they can be bad. Just drowning yourself in pessimism and grey clouds all day.

Fuck that this shit is too short.

GrimJawz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I dunno, there are times where I think of myself as a wannabe revolutionary.

But of course, other times I think like a depressed nihilist where I just want it to end

Dude you sound like a edgy 15 year old who's watched to much anime. I get it, shit can seem totally fucked sometimes, but I think you need to take astep back and do some self reflecting or ideally therapy if possible.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
No, but I was thinking the other day how I miss the stress after 9-11 compared to this.

Being from right outside New York it was certainly a scary time, but in retrospect people and government were doing things more things to keep us safe, compared to now where every day feels like an attack on our country.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
No. That's just plain dumb. There's billions of other people on this planet who are more than happy to continue living their life to the best of their ability .

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This is why the Serenity Prayer exists. Change what you can, accept what you can't. Try where you can.

giphy.gif

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty frustrated and somewhat disillusioned with the current state of the world.
That being said, I still live here, so I would still prefer it be fixed rather than not, regardless of the likelihood of that happening.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's just too many people on this planet that it's going to prove unsustainable at some point. They keep looking for ways to solve food issues and other problems and that's creating even more issues, but the reality is reproduction needs to be curbed. We can't always have a growing world economy, and the fact that so much rides on that puts it in direct opposition.

That's just one thing of many, but the entire system needs to be reworked. Maybe reworked is the wrong word, but it needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
No

i think you need to lay off the news OP. the world is not all doom and gloom despite it being presented as such.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
All the time OP. We're already past the breaking point. Nobody wants it fixed, so it won't be. That's that

At this point all you can do is be kind to those around you. If they're unfortunate enough to have kids, they're going to have a tough enough time growing up in a doomed world they can't and won't fix full of unkind people. Sometimes a smile will just make it feel better, sometimes that's enough to get someone through a day

Don't trust these other wretched people, especially on here, to be the one that will make that person smile before you can; if you wait on others to do the right thing, it won't get done. Period. We've proven that already. It's over because we always waited. Learn from the mistake of us

If you can make someone's day better or easier, do it. Don't wait

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I want things to get better, if not for me, then for future generations.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Wanting things to be bad for your own vindicating is probably a sign you're following news from a detached state instead of as an active participant, and probably following way too much of it

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Just spent 40 min arguing with my father about how Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warrens tax plans are the right path forward to help fix americas economy and he believes Jeff Bezos earned and deserves all of his money and nobody should be forced to pay more in taxes because they earn more regardless of how much they have.

Sometimes I think to myself that maybe we should let the world continue to burn just so I can eventually rub it in his face. Too bad we'll all be dead.