• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
I'm a black guy. I would say I have a medium tone to my skin tone. I'm from the south and I find it weird that I can say that I've been mistake for being Indian way too many times. I don't have an un-American accent that I notice or look Indian to my knowledge.

I used to work any Sonic in my teen years and too many customers would say something like "You were the guy who took my order?!" or "Dude, your voice doesn't match what you look like." I Have been told I should be a country singer so I guess that's always a career choice in the future haha.

So, have any of y'all ever been mistaken for another race?

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
I don't know if it counts, but I'm a white dude and I used to live a mostly Hispanic neighborhood and I had people assume I must be Argentinian a few times.

I know it doesn't count.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm brown, so this happens all the time. It's fun when they get the continent wrong.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I'm pretty white so sometimes people express mild surprise at my very Italian last name. There's a small overgeneralisation that all Italians have olive skin, although my dad does while I got my mom's.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes people can tell that I'm only mostly white and think I'm hispanic or have ancestors from somewhere in the middle east (or eastern European like Bosnian or Albanian, but that's still white I guess). Doesn't happen often though.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm blindingly white.

Someone did mistake me for British once, but that's about it.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
When I was in high school, a classmate randomly asked me if I was Japanese. Then he asked if I was Filipino. Some other classmates also thought I was Indian.

I'm Puerto Rican.

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
When I was in Primary School, I was mistaken for a Filipino and ended up participating in a Filipino culture dance. In secondary, I was mistaken for being a Malaysian because of how shite my Malay and accent was and still is. To be fair, being Bruneian probably made it even more easier to confuse my race.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a black guy. I would say I have a medium tone to my skin tone. I'm from the south and I find it weird that I can say that I've been mistake for being Indian way too many times. I don't have an un-American accent that I notice or look Indian to my knowledge.

I used to work any Sonic in my teen years and too many customers would say something like "You were the guy who took my order?!" or "Dude, your voice doesn't match what you look like." I Have been told I should be a country singer so I guess that's always a career choice in the future haha.

So, have any of y'all ever been mistaken for another race?
Weren't country singers originally all black people from the south? Lol.

I'm a light skinned black dude (both parents are African/Deutsche), and I get confused for an Arab or a Mexican lol

I am Black and do not look Indian at all but for some reason my co-worker thought I was Indian.
Must be from Guyana then

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All the time, and such a strange range too. People think I'm Mexican a lot, sometimes Samoan, one time an Iranian student asked me if I was also Iranian.

For context I'm 3/4th white, 1/4th Filipino.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
I had a couple of Israelis start talking to me in Israeli on the train one time. I've had people think I'm Italian. I am in fact English/Irish and Colombian.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
all the time

seems to me like everybody with brown skin thinks I am whatever they are

also get that "where are you from" question a lot, which actually means "what's your ethnicity"

ErichWK

Oct 25, 2017
Sandy Eggo
I'm Puerto Rican and German...when I lived in Florida as a 12 year old kid a lot of people asked me if I was half Japanese. I still get it today. Asking if I am half Asian, Korea or Japanese. It's weird

Owari

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tons of Asian people have been so surprised when I told them I was not also Asian.

I'm definitely Greek & Irish and 100% white looking

Pretty odd

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
Black, people sometimes mistake me as being Latino. Not really sure how though.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I got told Asian once.
It baffled me (so I blame a mistake on their part). I got Eastern European roots.

Maybe some mongol genes permeated for a split second, since I'm pretty sure they were all up my ancestors regions (..literally and figuratively).

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I get Polish a lot cause of my surname and not exactly having a stereotypical Turkish/Muslim look.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not quite racial misinterpretation, rather I'm always thought of as a Mexican. My mother's Dominican, but all hispanic people are either Cuban or Mexican by default. Occasionally Puerto Rican. Never Dominican.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm biracial (black/white) but I often get North-African or Middle-Eastern. I've also had people think I'm Indian and someone once even assumed I was Indonesian.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Im half salvadorian and half mexican but everyone always thinks im white or asian.

When Iworked at mcdonalds this lady came through the drive through and asked me, "are you chinese?" Like what? Lol

BIGLukas

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm white but my girlfriend's grandmother, who is Afghan, thought I was "Middle Eastern" because of my beard.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm also biracial (black/white). The majority of people think I'm Latino. I live in Socal so people will come up to me and be like ¿Hablas español? When I say no or I speak a very little Spanish, they give me a confused look and some will say I look Puerto Rican. I'll also get mistaken for Middle-Eastern. If I didn't tell people that I was black, nobody would know.