• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I'm Chilean and I've been confused with being of another spanish speaking country, like Uruguay for my lack of accent (doesn't quite count)....

But when I was in NY in March, people at the deli I frequented were convinced me and my mother were Italians. It was hilarious.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Ashkenazi Jew in a JCC and a woman started talking to me in Spanish and was shocked when she learned I wasn't Latino and had no idea what she was saying. Happened another time in a totally different state, a drunk Latino man almost fought me because he didn't believe I didn't speak Spanish and was not Latino. Funny thing is, I've told this to other people and they don't believe me.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm black American and people have called me Jamaican and Haitian.

One lady wouldn't believe me and I didn't care to argue.

hiro_x

Nov 2, 2017
I'm Filipino-Chinese but I don't look like filipino or chinese. Most people say that I look like Korean/Japanese.

There's a lot of Korean tourists in the Philippines and every time I go to some vacation spot, the locals there speak to me in english because they think I'm Korean.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
African American, but I've been mistaken for Haitian, Dominican, Jamaican, and even Nigerian.

Halcy Caritas

Oct 26, 2017
I am Filipino. I have been asked if I was Latino many times before and also some people think I'm half White/Half Latino.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Im on a trip in the Czech Republic and a girl asked me if im from Israel.

But i dont know if that counts since im just a white dude from Belgium.

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While growing up some people would say I was Gypsy.

More recently I've had Americans tell me that I'm Mexican.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
During this past summer I was helping some old lady find angel food cake at the grocery store I work at. I wasn't able to find any and told her we might have more out the next day. She came back and asked my coworkers if we did (we didn't) and said a tall black Haitian man told her we would.

They asked me about this Haitian man and I quickly realized it was me.

I am however white as white can be. It was very odd.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Well I'm 3/4 Chinese 1/4 Mon (A very small ethnic group in Thai)

I have been mistaken for Korean and Japanese by Korean, Chineses, Japanese, and THAI constantly

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm Indian from India. Grew up in Canada but ppl think I'm from the West indies, Guyana or Trinidad. Some people think I'm black as well. I'm not super dark either but the way I dress and hairstyle?

GummyGoob

Oct 25, 2017
San Jose, CA
I was often confused for Indian at my last two jobs. Had to tell everyone I worked with that I am Mexican, much to their bewilderment. A lot of "wow, really?!"

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not quite, but I'm Texan and get mistaken for European a lot. I had a speech impediment when I was a toddler and had to take classes with an instructor who happened to be British. As a result, my accent is kind of strange, and I sound like a mix between Texan and English to some people, so they never think I was actually born here.

Heath V

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm Italian. When I was younger I was mistaken for either Hispanic or half black. My step dad is black so that perhaps gave them that impression too.

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I am mostly Japanese with a mix of a bunch of White and other. I get asked if I am Mexican or people just assume and start talking to me in Spanish and then are surprised I'm not Mexican.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I guess being East Asian, we get mistaken for any one of the big 3 East Asian countries. It's not even a race thing, even Asians screw up. I've had Korean people mistaken me for Korean even though I'm Chinese.

I'm Asian and White. People think I'm anything but Asian and White.

So what part of Africa are you from?

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Sure. I am mixed Scottish/English and Goan Indian. I've had Italian, Spanish, and Brazilian, and other stuff depending on where I am. Usually I don't get people making vocally making assumptions. My name, which is Celtic, is probably hard to place as well.

Every South Asian is Indian by default

Haha, this is true, especially in India, but more than that, in India people will insist you are Indian if you are brown. Heard this from all sorts of people from the Middle East to Brazil. They were Indian apparently, according to some Indian blokes.

EVOL

Oct 27, 2017
I've frequently been mistaken for Japanese, though I'm Korean.

Mostly I've been told that I look like an Anime character, even when I had a buzzcut