• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
After dying dozens of times to Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts as a kid I finally said screw it and used a gameshark to get infinite health in order to beat him. I'm pretty sure he's harder than any boss I've fought in Dark Souls.

maxresdefault.jpg

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I always felt like I was cheating when I would call in a "spirit" for Souls games against bosses. I didn't do it too often but every once in awhile.

Deleted member 1185

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hell yeah

played FF9 on Steam last year and the last boss or two were crazy hard, maybe I was underleveled a bit.

used the built in boost stuff to get past them, what a great feature. so many times before ive just had to quit games because i dont enjoy grinding out XP to get strong enough

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Dark Souls 2 was my first game in the series, i accidentally knocked that first boss off the edge as soon as he attacked me and I thought I was the absolute greatest.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I've cheesed several Souls bosses (notably Manus), but I'm not sure if that would be considered "cheating".

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not exactly cheating, but i ended up fighting ornstein and smough with a co-op friend just because i happened to be testing the co-op that day

and considering how many people dtruggled with them, it feels like chating that i had a pretty good time with them 2 vs 2

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I shot arrows through the fog gate at Manus in Dark Souls.

I've never used an exploit not within the gameplay of the game though.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
not exactly cheating, but i ended up fighting ornstein and smough with a co-op friend just because i happened to be testing the co-op that day

and considering how many people dtruggled with them, it feels like chating that i had a pretty good time with them 2 vs 2
the problem when playing co op in a soul game, the boss also will get health boost.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland

Does it count as cheating if you summoned Solaire?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
All is fair in Soulsborne games, I say.

I haven't ever used cheats to advance in a game, but I have exploited glitches to get more resources or EXP, which I suppose is functionally the same.

Kaiser Swayze

Oct 30, 2017
I always felt like I was cheating when I would call in a "spirit" for Souls games against bosses. I didn't do it too often but every once in awhile.
Me too. My general aversion to playing online kept me from doing it in the first Dark Souls (as well as pretty much being hollow the whole time), but I started to see the appeal once time became more precious. It does kind of feel like cheating because most bosses don't have a means of taking on players from two directions at once.

Deleted member 2618

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. On repeat playthroughs of Pokemon Platinum, theres a level gap between the 8th gym and the Elite 4 and eventually Cynthia. I have no desire to play honestly at that point so Hi Ho Hi Ho to Action Replay I go

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
Not "cheated" exactly... but, definitely have used what is in game (such as poor environmental design) to defeat bosses in some games... such as hiding behind a tree or a wall or another environmental feature and hitting him through the wall.

But, I don't know that this is necessarily "cheating", like using a Game Shark or something like that.

Jun 8, 2018
I didn't know it was cheating at the time, but I used ancient arrows on those minotaur beasts in Hyrule Castle in BOTW. By 1 hit KOing them into a black whole, it made the journey smoother.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
i never cheated during a boss, but i've defnitely cheated during a level

in call of duty 4: modern warfare, there's a level called "one shot, one kill" where you have to wait for a helicopter at the end (i think). it's a bitch on veteran, but i wouldn't know. on my first try, i clipped through some geometry and was untouchable for that whole section.

Seven4sses

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I remember punching the cheat codes for health and ammo on the fly during the last GTA missions, especially Vice City. Other than that, for other games, no.

I don't count summons in Souls as cheating. The devs made that mechanic an actual part of the game. On the other hand, I still avoid Sephiroth in KH like the plague. He's too OP for my liking.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
this is a soulsborne thread, right?

yeah I'd summon with zero shits given on chalice dungeons in bloodborne

With main game bosses, I'd try a bit harder but that stupid fire/stone dog in the dungeon that takes half your life bar, I summoned immediately, beat it and be one and done, fuck that "moral duty" to beat random side bosses solo.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
First time through FFT I cheated using the Square+L1/R1 trick on multi page jobs to get all the skills without grinding.

Oct 28, 2017
i remember cheating on the king allant for the first time i fought it. it's not really a cheat since it's a strategy the game allows you to do, but it was very cheap

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Closest I've come is looking up a password and a login for a computer you find in Virtue's Last Reward. Got the game's saddest cutscene way too early as a result...

(The game gave you the code later on.)

PurgeVIII

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
United States
For sure, the first time I beat Lingering Will in KH2 in 2014 was using the negative combo cheese as seen here:

I did end up beating him normally on subsequent playthroughs though.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
dont' think so..you need to be in human form and that costs resources..also as far as i can remember AI doesn't help that much in that game other than drawing aggro
The remaster was my first time playing Dark Souls, I had a feeling I was walking into a boss room but wasn't sure. Killed the skinny one first then the big one and I killed each other with a final blow. Woke up at the bonfire to the boss defeated message. I laughed my ass off.

Fight was amazing.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
For sure, the first time I beat Lingering Will in KH2 in 2014 was using the negative combo cheese as seen here:

I did end up beating him normally on subsequent playthroughs though.

Same here for my platinum run. I exhausted myself beating all the Data Organization members that I didn't have it left in me to seriously fight him that time.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've ever cheated a boss. If I feel like I'm running up against a wall, I'll usually just go grind if that's possible. Sometimes I'll look up how to beat puzzle bosses though.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I've definitely exploited AI patterns to beat a boss. I'm very hard-headed and will prefer chipping away at a boss for an hour, rather than going back and grinding or something. However, I can't recall straight up cheating to beat one.

Oh wait, I did once. In Pillars of Eternity my level was fine enough to get into the very end of the game. But apparently my level wasn't good enough to beat the final boss. With no way to return past the point of no-return. I used the in-game cheats to boost myself 5 levels to make the fight fair.

That's the only recent time in memory i've done that. Would've been mad as hell if I did that on a console with no way to do it.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Never cheated. But I did cheese some boss fights.

The final Optional Boss in KH 1.5. I just put Ethers on Donald and Goofy. Took all skills away from them and only had MP gift on Goofy.

Then proceeded to Strike Raid the whole time. Since you're invincible during the attack. He couldn't touch me and went down super easy. Push Triangle to win indeed

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Rising. Used either Cheat Engine or a Trainer for the final boss. And the fight was still annoying af.
how so?

it is annoying since it's interrupted several times with dialogue and cutscenes,but the fight itself isn't really that much hard than anything that came before it

Lightsbane

Jul 8, 2018
Cheating, per se, not really. But I have "cheesed" many Dark Souls bosses when I couldn't be bothered.

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
No.

If it's something within the game itself, whether intended or not, then it's fair game.

I only define cheats as something that requires outside 3rd-party tools/programs
Is that the case, the don't. But i did use the trick of Dante attacks in DMC1 in order to defeat the first form of Mundus without almost 0 damage.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had sex with my girlfriend's roommate, and it really helped me beat Darklurker.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Not outright cheating but I've definitely took advantage of AI's patterns and exploited their weaknesses.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was a bug in the original Wild Arms that's similar to the W-Item glitch in FFVII. I did the glitch on attribute modifiers and one shot the final boss. It was satisfying.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
I'm not proud to admit it, but I had to cheese The Traitor Lord in Hollow Knight since I could not beat him regularly. I felt dirty afterwards...

Oct 28, 2017
When I fought Sif in Dark Souls she did an attack that somehow made her trapped on a rock that was slightly above my head. She kept attempting to hit me but couldn't move. So I just stood there and fired soul arrows at her.

Does that count?