• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 24, 2018
"Too much of a good thing" is a very real and it can be very easy to play too much of something until you need to take break from it to reignite the joy in it for you.

Fighting games are my favourite genre, I've loved them since I was a kid games like Soul Edge and Mortal Kombat Deception. However, twice now have I majorly burned myself out on them and needed to stay away from them for a bit because they were just becoming less and less fun for me.

The first time was back in 2016, I had been playing fighting games back to back for at least a few months, nothing really in-between, with Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Tekken Tag 2 and 7, Soul Edge, Calibur 2 and 4, Mortal Kombat arcade kollection, 9 and X, most of the Blazblue games, you get the picture. However, eventually it started to get harder and harder for me to get enjoyment out of them, playing online matches got to be way less fun and I just couldn't get into BlazBlue CentralFiction as I did the other. It had became clear that I had played to many fighters and needed to take a break from something you love in order to appreciate it more so I spent a year playing of games like 100% Horizon Zero Dawn, playing Silent Hill, Mega Man X and Mario Kart for the first time, got back into Pokemon etc. By the summer of 2017, I was able to enjoy them again, though currently going through a similar patch after the sheer grind of MK11 has burned me out of the genre for me and I'm deciding what I should play instead.

This isn't a bad thing either, I feel gaming nowadays puts way too much emphasis that in order to be a "real fan", you have to keep playing no matter what, not helped that the recent GAAS trend also encourages this and expects it's audience to play daily. Take a break? Too bad, you lose out on bonuses, events, missions, skins etc. Very few games seem to understand that we are still human and sometimes need a break to enjoy it again, otherwise it becomes mundane and just busy work.

As such, for you, has their ever been a time you just needed a break from your favourite genre of game or just your favourite game or gaming in general? What did you do in the mean time and what happened if or when you came back to it?

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
I feel like I play 2D platformers much more rarely now. I got Tropic Freeze and SMBU hoping it would kindle the spark but I didn't finish either.

Dec 6, 2017
US
The Souls/From formula fatigue is at peak level for me right now and I consider Dark Souls quite possibly my favorite game of all time.

I overdid it :/

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
2D Platformer? I don't think so - but there was a dark age before NSMB.
Point and Click? Nope, either - and... same after lucas and sierra fell.

So, in general, I don't need a break, but they gave one to me anyway.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I burned myself out on open worlds after 200+ hours of RDR2. I feel compelled to explore everything and actively avoid Assassin's Creed games after having finished AC Unity. I would love to play the Witcher 3 but ... I just don't have the time now i'm invested into XGP.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was a huge platformer fan once. Can't play those games anymore. Some of the old once for nostalgia reasons? Yes.
But new ones? Ugh....

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fighting games. Went from favorite genre to not caring about them at all

Dec 14, 2017
Yes, recently I played the hell out of dmc5 and sekiro, and played other third person action games on the side. Stuff from assault spy to getting back into mitsurugi kamui hikae. Now rage 2 has been a nice palette cleanser of sorts. But my burnout phases don't last long, I just have small hiatuses I suppose.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First person shooters are my favourite, and... kinda? Never for long, mind, but after getting off a multiplayer FPS addiction it happens that I don't really touch another FPS for some time, as I try and unwind a bit on other genres. When I left Destiny after some 200 hours, I moved onto an Assassin's Creed which I finished, along with other games in my backlog. The fatigue usually ends as soon as the next game I'm really into arrives. Right now I'm kinda burnt out on Black Ops IIII and Apex Legends, so I haven't played an FPS in a couple weeks now. But as soon as Apex gets a good new update or something else catches my attention again, I'll definitely be on board quickly.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Usually, even if I own a trilogy, once I beat one game, I play something in a completely different genre next. A couple of games later, I might revisit the sequel. This keeps things fresh enough for me.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Yeah -- I rarely play RPGs anymore. Just don't have the time, and the repetitive tropes, particularly in JRPGs, have become irritating.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Not really. I've always tried to varied the games I play to avoid getting burned out and to be honest I don't get the time to play enough games to get burned out on anything. I also have other hobbies and interests like running, football (soccer), swimming etc so I don't get burned out on gaming in general. Still love it as much as I did 35 years ago!

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Yep I've had open world fatigue for a while. Mainly because most games just have tedious open worlds that are too big for no reason. If you can't create an open world that encourages exploration, discovery, and taps into my sense of wonder, you shouldn't bother with the genre imo.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
FPS no question especially online. Just flat out sick of COD and it just happened around November and this is coming from someone who plays COD throughout the entire year and always goes for all the special camo's and goes max prestuige. Guess I am just sick of the money grab and the burden trying to get head shots.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
There are many good fighting games, especially on this generation, but I don't feel burnt out, I enjoy them.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I burnt out on souls games after playing bloodborne and ds3 pretty close togeather. Still havent found it in me to beat dark souls remastered

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Yeah if I play a huge RPG I need a pallette cleanser usually in the form of an FPS campaign or short, linear title.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
With the glut of great platformers and metroidvanias these days, it's definitely more of a mission to play fully through the ones that are just good.
I picked up Momodora the other week and it just feels so dang vanilla after the sub genre got tackled full force by the indie scene.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Any genre I've ever played a decent amount of time has reached burnout point. I crave variety, I can't be playing the same thing for months on end. It's why games as a service are pretty useless for me.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
visual novels: a few times. Mostly because I had run out of things I really wanted to play. Once because I hyped myself up for zero time dilemma for 2 years and then was so disappointed by it I wanted to drop the genre altogether.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Every so often. I play a lot of open world games, and occasionally I'll feel the fatigue. I'll just stop playing for a week or three, then come back.

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, even when we narrow it down to "Souls games". I can get tired of individual games every now and then, but I never feel like not playing any of them.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Shooters is the big one for me. Back last gen I was super into Halo and Call of Duty and other shooters. I just played them so much and so often that it really burned me out on shooters for a while, and competitive multiplayer as well.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Not really. There aren't enough great technical action games in the world for me to go "Eh, I think I'll pass on this one."

Astral Chain and Bayonetta 3 are up next, and I hope they're great.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
RTS. But I attribute this more to the uncompelling titles I have been playing lately. The time investment is so huge and sometimes the victory comes at the most unexciting conditions (find the only living villager somewhere in the map after destroying its empire two hours ago).

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
FPS used to be arguably my favorite genre, but I got tired of them around 2007, and haven't enjoyed anything other than the new Doom since.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
MY genre of choice is JRPG. While I absolutely love them and I'm always usually down to play them. I do take a bit of a break of them to play shooters and indie games ever so often so I don't completely burn out. Right now I'm in a JRPG break.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Open world games with useless filler. Honestly, its fine for an open world game to be 30 hrs. They dont have to be 70+ hrs. Chances are I am gonna drop it because you cannot possibly entertain me with no context/story and average mission design (looking at you ubisoft. Far cry 5/ Ac odyssey rubbed me the wrong way)

Take chances. Bring something fresh to the table. Enjoyed my time with RDR 2, and currently loving Days gone.

FPS used to be arguably my favorite genre, but I got tired of them around 2007, and haven't enjoyed anything other than the new Doom since.

Good one! Didnt even realise that. Wolfenstein, which people praise a lot, did nothing for me (although story was fun).

Looking forward to Doom 2 though.

Edit: titanfall 2 was really good actually! Do not usually enjoy military shooters, but that was good fun. Short n sweet.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. I've always tried to varied the games I play to avoid getting burned out and to be honest I don't get the time to play enough games to get burned out on anything. I also have other hobbies and interests like running, football (soccer), swimming etc so I don't get burned out on gaming in general. Still love it as much as I did 35 years ago!
This is me, but I vary the types of games I play just because there is sooooo much to play. As such, my backlog is huge, lol. Spanning generations.

I still haven't finished GTA San Andreas or FFX.

I also don't have as much time now too.

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
Happens to me often enough if I try to do back to back JRPG's especially, since they tend to be longer games. Usually playing something else in between them is enough to get me ready to go again.