• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
I'm struggling with a weird conundrum. I have access thanks to streaming/backlogs/etc to almost any game that I've wanted, and I've got the next two weeks off work and all the time I've ever wanted.

The moment I go to open a game, I just end up cycling on to the next one, and then the next. I'm almost paralyzed by choice.

Anyone else experienced the same?

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah it's called being an adult. I literally spend thousands of dollars on games, but most of the time I get home from work and watch netflix because I'm tired from working. I have hundreds of games I haven't played on Steam. I think most people in their 30's and up are the same tbh

Currently I'm playing Gears 5, Outer Worlds, Outer Wilds and Luigis Mansion 3. I just play whatever I feel like and try not to worry about finishing games.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, analysis paralysis is a very real thing. I especially get it with movies, since there's a much larger back-catalogue which you can never really make headway into (I've watched a minimum of one movie a day for 8 years - during university it was two or three - and my backlog is still growing).

I suggest using a random number generator to pick what you'll play next. Removing the choice is very freeing and gets rid of the constant second guessing about how you're spending your time.

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's been this way for a while for me. Not quite 30 years, but like... I guess maybe the last decade (since I became a "retired person")?

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's called being an adult. I literally spend thousands of dollars on games, but most of the time I get home from work and watch netflix because I'm tired from working. I have hundreds of games I haven't played on Steam. I think most people in their 30's and up are the same tbh

Currently I'm playing Gears 5, Outer Worlds, Outer Wilds and Luigis Mansion 3. I just play whatever I feel like and try not to worry about finishing games.
Yep. My backlog is massive and ever expanding. Hell, I've been playing Trails of Cold Steel 3 for like two months. It is what it is.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think that's the case for anybody that partook in the Steam sales from the past, or anybody using Game Pass currently.

I'm at a stage where I'm installing random games on the Xbox, booting up and playing for an hour or two, then bailing out to play something else instead (with the intention of possibly maybe going back one day).

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's a constant these days... :/

It's not even a real backlog for me. I do have a few games still wrapped, but my biggest "weakness" in that regard is going back to old games. I always start thinking things like: "Hmm...I could really play Vanquish again...or Dragon's Dogma...oh! It's been like 2 months since I played Dark Souls! Might start a new low lvl build!"

And on and on it goes...all the while new releases keep coming out. >.<

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I'd say for the past decade. It's even worse now with Game Pass, PS Plus, and other companies like Epic giving away free games. It's awesome but sucks at the same time, lol.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Rarely. Handhelds are my home and I find more than enough time for every new release. I game everywhere I can, from commute train to dentists waiting room (sometimes it takes couple of hours).

Oct 31, 2017
Yep, I'm going through that right now. I own a PS4 Pro and PC and for years now I've had too many games to play. It's a struggle every time I turn on each system.

I have moments I turn on my PS4 or PC and get overwhelmed with my huge backlog of games, and I end up playing nothing because I can't decide what to play 😅. When you add the fact I also play VR games on PC and PS4 it's insane because owning VR is like owning a separate system with its own ecosystem of games.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
At this point I'm waiting to retire.

Love reading stories about retirees with like 4 MMO accounts or 30 phones for Pokémon Go.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I have hundreds of games to play but i never do more than 2 at the same time. What change is that i drop games more easily if i'm not really enjoying it. Ultimately, i plan to get on the credits roll in games i play.

Being paralyzed by choice is an alien concept for me. I rather enjoy it, as i can get really picky about specific stuff i wanna play at the time.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Yep it really feels like there's so much to do, so much to play. So what's wrong with playing my backlog? You'll never know if you don't go.

Aggie CMD

Dec 8, 2017
Over the past few weeks I've started The Outer Worlds, Untitled Goose Game, Jurassic Park Evolution, Rage 2, and continue to dabble in Gears 5. I've purchased Grand Theft Auto V and Resident Evil 2. I have 475 downloaded games on my Xbox. And what have I played most? TECMO BOWL THROWBACK, NBA JAM ON FIRE EDITION, and PACMAN CE 2. I don't know what to do with myself.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's tough, but I just try to focus on 1-3 games at a time, all of different genres. Usually one long game (AC Odyssey or Death Stranding) with a couple short ones (A Short Hike, Superliminal, Sayonara Wild Hearts, etc.). Works out pretty well that way! There's that feeling of regularly knocking out games with the short ones while taking a longer-term approach to the time-demanding ones.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
This is a big reason why I don't like owning more than one concurrent-gen console. It's a good example of "less is more."

Fall Damage

Oct 31, 2017
I'm probably good for the next 5 years or so with my current backlog and gamepass. I have stopped buying games unless they are on deep discount at $5 or less AND are something I really want to play. I just don't have the time I used to.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Always. Literally.

I have a PC, PS4, PS3, PS Vita and a Switch. Sometimes it's overwhelming.

For the last months, maybe a whole year, I haven't touched my Vita or Switch, but I've been regularly playing on PS4, PS3 and PC, daily. There's just too much good games I haven't played yet. 2020 will be the year of the backlog for me.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
Constantly. My collection is at a point where I have lots and lots of major games and series that I'm dying to play, and it hurts that I can't put them all at the top of the list.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's tough, but I just try to focus on 1-3 games at a time, all of different genres. Usually one long game (AC Odyssey or Death Stranding) with a couple short ones (A Short Hike, Superliminal, Sayonara Wild Hearts, etc.). Works out pretty well that way! There's that feeling of regularly knocking out games with the short ones while taking a longer-term approach to the time-demanding ones.
This is me, but one bigger, AC: Odyssey type game, one online game, and 1-3 smaller indie games. I eat up the Indies more swiftly (usually, though Dead Cells still has me trapped.)

I try not to buy more than one big game in a month's time because of this, but...

... my backlog is STILL really big. I just only have so much time, and SO many games have been released that I want to play. Stupid sales and Humble Bundles. :P

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I've written about it a few times here now, but yes, I've found it to be a real problem.
It all came to a head for me with the Steam library overhaul, which made me realize how bad things had become (1500+ games, of which I've only played half and finished a quarter).
It's why I found myself spending more time on the Switch rather than PC last year, because I only have a very small library of games on it - though that has now crept up from five to eleven titles in recent months, in part due to the recent sale.

The main thing is that you have to play games.
It's all too easy to fall into the trap of spending more time reading about them online, discussing them on forums, or watching other people play games, instead of playing them yourself - especially if you're tired after a long day of work and feel like you don't have the energy for it.

On Steam at least, I have found a solution which works for me, by taking the time to sort games into the following categories:
  1. Playing now (3 games max)
  2. Want to play
  3. Maybe
  4. Probably not
  5. Never
The "want to play" list is as the name suggests - it's games that I actually really want to play. Even then, I ended up with about 50 titles in there - though I've got that down to 42 now.​
The "maybe" list is one of good/interesting games, but ones that I don't have a burning desire to play. I'll look at those if I ever empty the "want to play" list.​
The "probably not" games are hidden, and are games which I'm probably not going to play for various reasons - often because I was interested when I bought them in a sale or got them in a bundle, but never got around to playing it and the time for that game may have passed now.​
The "never" games are often "bundle trash" or giveaways which were just cluttering up the library, and will be removed from the account.​

This has made it so much easier for me.
My mood/interest often changes too much to stick with a single game to completion, but I find that three games is enough to have some variety in my "playing now" list without being paralyzed by choice; making it very easy to sit down and play something without putting much thought into it.
I find that feeling "too tired to play games" is often "too tired to decide what I want to play" and limiting choice helps a lot.

Once I am done with a game, they end up in one of two categories:
  • Played (finished)
  • Played (unfinished)
The "unfinished" category is a list of games I have played to the point that I am satisfied with them, or have no desire to continue and want to remove them from the "playing now" list for something else.
Though I may not have finished them, this is a list of games I'm not going to return to. I make a point of moving them out of the other lists when doing this, so that it's actually being cut from the backlog.

I am also trying to avoid returning to the "finished" games list.
I find it very easy to return to old favorites that I know are good, instead of playing new games which are an unknown quantity, and I might not enjoy as much (or might enjoy more).
That's not to say you should never play old games, but I'm trying to make a point of spending my time with new games and slowly working through the backlog instead of revisiting old ones.

Since implementing this system a few months ago, I have found myself playing a lot more games again, and enjoying my time with them more.
I'm not playing games for 20 minutes and jumping to something else, because once a game is removed from the "playing now" list it moves into the "played" list instead of returning to the list of "available" games. That serves as motivation to actually stick with a game and see more of it before deciding whether I want to see it through to the end, or drop it entirely.
My goal for 2020 is to make meaningful progress through the backlog, and try to resist buying as many games as possible - even if they're a really good deal. Sales come around every few months, and if I really wanted to play a game, I can afford to pay a bit more anyway. No more buying games that I want to get around to playing later.
If I do buy any new games—and so far, there are four I'm looking forward to in 20H1: Coffee Talk, Animal Crossing, Cyberpunk 2077, and Bloodlines 2—it will be with the intent of playing them right away.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeaa... This has been a problem for me for a very long time. My backlog is huge, I'll probably not even touch most of it because there's constantly new exciting things coming out.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
It happened before but it's been the case since around the PS4 launch for me. It's been worst this year with sooo many great games, PS+ freebies since day one, Gamepass, Steam sales and EGS free games. First world problems.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm currently BURIED in games I actually want to play.

when people say "I have a backlog" a lot of times they are just spouting nonsense.
No, you don't have a "a one hundred games backlog". You have a collection of titles you got with bundles, subscriptions and so that you will never care about to any significant extent...

BUT

When you actually start gathering 15-20 titles that you actually enjoy playing and/or have genuine interest to complete... Well, that become an actual backlog.

Oct 26, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I am trying to play through Final Fantasy 14 as well as Death Stranding, Link's Awakening, The Division 2, and Rocket League - I also just started Starlink.

So.... yeah. Holy shit.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
Looks at Steam, console, and game pass backlog - I don't know what you are talking about.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I have been in a constant state of too much to play for a very long time.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I'm constantly rotating between a few games, but I've been doing rather well with actually finishing them.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I honestly think I could stop buying new games right now and be set for 5 to 10 years. The thought of skipping next gen completely has crossed my mind more than once.

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
You know what I like about this feeling? When you randomly think of a game you never played too often, and the game mechanics just "click" in your head when you're not playing and just thinking about it another day.

Then when you boot it up after excitement, it's everything you want it to be. Oh man, last game this happened was recent for me, Street Fighter 2. I'm getting too into arcade games and fightsicks, sega saturn pads, I'm gonna start hunting down arcade pcbs next, like damn. THis shit is good.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
I always make some sort of plan as to what I'm going to play and when I need to beat it by. Can't always keep to it, but at least it keeps choice paralysis from preventing all progress.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Yup, I've felt this way since probably 2018. I've been buying a ton of games and some I've started, some I haven't.

I stacked up with an insane (for me at least) amount of games on Black Friday 2018 and we are now in January 2020 and I haven't even started most of them.

I'm trying to put more thought into what I buy and into what I spend my time with. I honestly sometimes miss the times when I was a kid and had only a couple of games that I'd replay over and over.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I've learned to cut back on buying new games until I've finished the ones I'm playing. I still have a backlog but it's not too bad now. Unfortunately I don't have time to play everything I want like I did in my 20's. I have to pick and choose the best games I will invest both my money and time into.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Never. It's great to have games to play once you're done with the one you're at.

I just make sure to finish the game I'm at (or discard it forever if I'm not enjoying it), before I move on to the game I look forward to the most to play next.