• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you ever had baby fever?

• Oh yeah.

Votes: 113 27.8%
  • Nope.

Votes: 179 44.0%
  • I don't plan on ever having kids at all in life.

Votes: 189 46.4%

• Total voters

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
My sister had a baby a few months ago and I had the chance to hold him today and man… the baby smiled at me and my heart MELTED. One of the most sweetest moments I ever experienced in my life. It was such a innocent and pure smile. I was like, "I gotta be the best uncle for this kid".

I've always wanted kids and I wanna have kids someday. I think holding the baby sent my desire for kids into overdrive. I'm in no condition to have kids though lmao I mean, I got my own car and place but I'm not in a serious relationship. I wanna have kids with someone in a serious relationship and plan it like a smart guy but then again… aren't most of us just "mistakes" like not really planned?

What about you, Era? Ever had that baby fever?

Oct 27, 2017
Ive had it for some time now since my sister has had 4 kids, kids definitely make you want to be a better person for them for sure, after trying for some time me and my wife are expecting a child in march, it cannot be overstated how incredible the feeling of watching the growth progress of a child is. Im sure the feeling of holding your child is a million times that as well, all things im looking forward to.

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ihatekidsvgjxq.gif

I held a few babies throughout my life but nope, none of that baby fever.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Not so much me but my wife did and then she suffered for 40 weeks and now my daughter is awesome.

I like kids. I never really have a hankering for little babies, but I'm always shocked how light babies are. Picking up a toddler every day I picked up my friends 6mos old the other day and was like "wtf this is so light"

I've also legit forgotten / mentally blocked out the first few months. I've got photos of it but have like no memory of what being a new parent was like. Little babies are so sweet but now I love how my daughter leaves daycare and runs up to me and hugs me.

"Do you want to watch cartoons?"

"YEEEEESSSSSSS!"

... did you poop...?

"NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

The biggest change in me since having kids is how much I like other little kids. I used to be indifferent to baby's I'd see out but now when I see a little baby I'm like entranced.

If you want to cure your baby fever come to parent era community and read about all of our suffering.

Last edited:

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I did once, but then I went out on a Saturday afternoon for a sandwich and ended up not coming home until Sunday evening and reminded myself I could never do that with a kid.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I once had a high fever and tiny babies started crawling out of the pores of my skin... So maybe?

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I did when I spent a week in the newborn nursery in med school. My mind completely changed after I spend a few weeks in the outpatient pediatric office. Saw too many children acting out for the strangest of things. I can def wait a decade before having to deal with that everyday lol

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
Nope, never once. I've got 2 kids already but seeing other people with infants reminds me how refreshing it is to have teenagers

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Not sure if I ever had the fever, but I did know I wanted to have kids, I was just worried that I might screw them up.

I know some kids were accidents, ours weren't. My wife is a teacher so we roughly had. A 3 month window . Teachers don't get maternity leave.

Hit that window both times lol 🤛

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
My wife and I were just discussing this the other night. When we decided to have kids it was more a matter of "I think now would be a good time to start", and that was that. Neither one of us had a burning desire or lifelong goal of having children, but we shared that vague feeling of "I'd like to have kids someday". We were 31, married a year, had a new house, and our careers were soaring so we had 2 girls with only 15 months between their birthdays. The real discussion came when were trying to decide on more kids after our first two.

In hindsight, I wish I would have met my wife earlier in life and we could have had a much larger family than just the 4 of us. I could easily imagine us with 5-6 kids. Being a father is without a doubt the greatest source of joy and accomplishment in my life, and I live a pretty goddamn good life.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I'll see my nephew every few weeks and get my fill. I can't imagine that as an everyday thing.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Ive had it for some time now since my sister has had 4 kids, kids definitely make you want to be a better person for them for sure, after trying for some time me and my wife are expecting a child in march, it cannot be overstated how incredible the feeling of watching the growth progress of a child is. Im sure the feeling of holding your child is a million times that as well, all things im looking forward to.

Children will definitely humble you and you definitely feel the need to do betteR, when you know you have those that depend on you for everything.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Yeah, I used to want kids but then I didn't for a couple years. And now that I'm in my mid 30s and even more people are having kids around me I'm starting to want them again.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Yes. I'd love to adopt a child but I've had to resign myself to the reality that I'll never get to.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Literally not even once. I think babies are super cute, but I've never seen a baby, not even close relatives' babies, and thought "omg I want a baby now!"

The only time or reason I've ever given it a thought is because I have a uterus and it's like 100% expected of me by society. And I feel bad because my parents would make great grandparents. But I have a twin and she's having kids so that's what having twins is for, right? lmao

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No, I can't say that I ever have. And me having kids is pretty unlikely, so if I were to experience it I don't really know what I'd do with the feeling

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Absolutely. Ended when the relationship broke into tiny pieces though, and I haven't felt it since. Kids are still cool at all, but I think that for me, a big part of wanting a child is wanting to raise a child with someone, and there's nobody like that now.

Gouty

Oct 25, 2017
Most of my friends have kids and it just seems like hell on earth.
They're a constant, unending, tireless, threat to the things you own and themselves.
They're loud, uncompromising, irrational, can't do anything for themselves. You can't go anywhere, they don't let you sleep, you can't enjoy meals, watch movies whenever you please etc etc. Your entire life is now completely beholden to them every second of the day. They shit and piss themselves. Cover themselves in their food, frequently bring illnesses into the house.
They're just goddamn awful.
In fact Im getting an oil change as I type this and Im trapped in the lobby with one of these screaming rats. They're fucking terrible.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Every time I look at a baby all I can think about is how they are planning World Domination

For real though I don't want kids but luckily I have a brother so he can pass down the family name, he and I are currently the last boys with it.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting side note:

I ended a long term relationship with a woman who told be she wanted to have kids with me. It was several days after that conversation that I realized she was completely untrustworthy to plan a future with and I decided to move on. The question just gnawed at my brain and all I could think of was that if I couldn't trust this woman to be a decent mother to a child, why am I still with her? Many, many years later, my instincts have proven correct. She has been married and divorced 3 times and cannot commit to anything in her life. But boy, that baby conversation cast her in a light I had never considered before.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I had it bad last year when helping my cousin out with his kid. This year has kind of numbed me to everything though

OP
OP
Mediking

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Most of my friends have kids and it just seems like hell on earth.
They're a constant, unending, tireless, threat to the things you own and themselves.
They're loud, uncompromising, irrational, can't do anything for themselves. You can't go anywhere, they don't let you sleep, you can't enjoy meals, watch movies whenever you please etc etc. Your entire life is now completely beholden to them every second of the day. They shit and piss themselves. Cover themselves in their food, frequently bring illnesses into the house.
They're just goddamn awful.
In fact Im getting an oil change as I type this and Im trapped in the lobby with one of these screaming rats. They're fucking terrible.
Lmao yeah... you're not wrong but think of the positives. Wouldn't the positives outweigh the negatives?

smoothj

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As a new dad for 4 months now. Fucking wait until you're absolutely ready. I think Covid is partly to blame but It was really hard for me to come to terms that my old life and routine are never going to be the same. Raising our first baby during quarantine has been tough to say the least. So maybe I have a jaded viewpoint lol.

Our baby is just starting to really show a personality and interaction with the world around him. Im now getting that rewarding/love feeling whenever I help him or show him something new. I can see how this kid is going to be my everything as my bond gets stronger every day.

Oh and at least in my case.. Mom's deserve everything and then some.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
Never, and with the path our world is on, I don't see that changing anytime soon. If I want to raise a child, I'll adopt and better a life that's already here. For now, I'm very happy with the dog my girlfriend and I just rescued.

I'm having a hard enough time watching my life-long best friend's life spiral into financial ruin after deciding to have a baby when he and his wife had low-paying, unsteady jobs. Their daughter just turned a year old, and they basically have no money to their name. It breaks my heart how much he tries to keep it together despite all the stress and uncertainty that's staring him right in the face.

I've tried so hard to set them up with solid ways to save hundreds of dollars a month via SlickDeals/Amazon Subscribe & Save/cashback cards, but they're not listening and constantly making poor financial decisions for no good reasons. At this point, all I can do is stand by and watch until they reach out for help that they may or may not heed.

And then of course there's my Facebook feed full of desperate struggling parents pitching crafts, MLM, and straight up scams to keep their families afloat. I apologize for the rant, but it does feel good to let this out. My heart breaks frequently for the families of those I love that are suffering, especially that of my best friend's.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can barely look after myself so I have no faith I could ever look after a baby. I also don't see myself as being selfless enough for a baby, so no. Who knows what'll happen in the future but right now I can't see myself ever genuinely wanting a baby.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
I work with kids at my job, but earlier in life I had very little desire to have one of my own. My first daughter is 5 now, and whoa is she awesome. Nothing beats having her pull one of my Star Wars RPG books off of my shelf and saying, "Let's read about Jabba, daddy! He's a big worm!"

I had my second daughter literally 48 hours ago and I'm a huge ball of stress. My wife had an abruption and we had to have an emergency c-section. Poor little baby is only 35 weeks so she's teeny tiny. Luckily, we haven't needed oxygen, glucose levels are fine, etc.

Only scary thing is that she failed her hearing screening. This is actually really common and of those who are referred for the more detailed diagnostic, 70% will pass it. Still, I'm horrified about any potential problem that can come up.

I bring this up purely because as awesome as kids are, the infant stage can be super anxiety producing. Soooo many things can go wrong.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
It's not for me, and I'm not just saying that as a zoomer. I've never particularly liked babies, either.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I had no idea that was something men experienced. Or am I confusing this with something else?

Anyway, if I ever get that sort of thing I'll probably just adopt a puppy or some other pet baby.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Never wanted them. Sounds like such a waste of time for all the parties involved, tbh.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Both of my brothers have two young children now. I love them all to death and being with them has only reinforced my intention of never having kids.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
No never, but I was a third parent to my sister and... I'll have one at most. The hours of tutoring, not listening to reason, having her own head, knowing anything better, extremely naive and uneducated because nothing interests her...And you only want the best. Not fun or rewarding.

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
I've had baby fever for about a year now. My wife and I have been trying to conceive in that time but we've run into some physiological barriers. Here's to hoping fertility medication works!

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm indifferent. I think eventually would want one but could go either way.

My gf got insane baby fever after her sister had a baby. Then we went to a lake where we were camped next to a bunch of obnoxious screaming kids. Fever seemed to subside, strange.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I'm now 36 and my daughter is 11.

I'm so frugal where I can be and that blocks my mind sometimes because I know if I wasn't then I would have told my wife years ago that I want another.

I think about it time to time. I honestly think I want to adopt this time. She's on board but then you get into the whole "What kind of baby do you want?".

I have a preference as I would truly like to raise a minority child as there is still so much for me to learn and this would be the best way for not just myself but for my current family and the child I take in. In reality though I would just wish for one that is healthy.

I'm positive my wife would be on board the moment I suggest it but it is me who keeps hesitating and I feel like I will live to regret it if I don't act soon.