• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
In the late 2010's, we all know far too well that you can love someone's work, only to discover that the person behind it is contemptible. Often a shock, such as in my personal experience with Jon Jafari, many are forced to reconcile their love of an art with the despicable views or actions of the person behind them.

But that's overplayed, and if I have to read the phrase "milkshake duck" ever again, I might do some terrible things at the city park. So instead, let's explore the reverse: what creators, whether it be on online platforms, big budget media, or even video gaming, do admire, respect, or like, but don't enjoy, or even tolerate, their work?

This might end the thread, but for me it's this guy:

605715f38e08102f7421792199466061--film-theory-game-theory.jpg

This is Matthew Patrick, a talented drama student that worked his way out of near poverty, an often genuinely funny comedian, and a highly creative person with a high standard of professionalism and presentation.

However, I can't enjoy Game Theory. Sometimes the theories are too literal, sometimes they are way too surreal, but they always make no sense. Now, I don't hate MatPat. I love MatPat, and I understand that there is an audience for his work. But that audience isn't me.

That was a pretty obvious example, but what about you, ERA? Who is your milksh -- I mean, what creators do you like as a person, but not for their work?

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I truly dislike Game Theory. I like him on Youtuber's React and stuff even! Just highly dislike his own work.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I loooovvvvve Kevin Smith. If there is any celebrity I could hang out with for an afternoon, it would be him, by a long way.

His films are not good. Like really really not good.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of SUDA51 games are like this. I just finished getting through The Silver Case, and man, I had to psyche myself up to keep coming back to it.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Peter Dinklage. Seems like a really nice guy, but I think people are starting to realize that his performance on Game of Thrones was never that great.

On a similar note, Emilia Clarke, who seems like a really cool person and is in fact a terrible actress.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Dinklage is dope. That scene about his cousin that killed beetles? Godly.

Never seen the Station Agent that everyone talks about.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I truly dislike Game Theory. I like him on Youtuber's React and stuff even! Just highly dislike his own work.
I think I am the opposite. I really like his early Game Theory stuff but anytime I see him doing anything, even Youtubers react and his girlfriend isn't there I absolutely cannot stand him. Way too over the top and high energy, I want him to take a breath and chill. When his girlfriend is there she seems to calm him and he is actually endearing.

Back on topic....
I honestly can't think of anyone. Wait....Grace Helbig. Thing she is pretty awesome and funny but cant stand her videos.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
I think fundamentalist Christians fit this bill.

Say they love God but hate so many things he created.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Kevin Smith.
David Lynch.
Duncan Jones.
Suda 51.
Tim Schaefer.

I'm sure there are others, I don't exactly hate all their work. But, their work is often just not for me.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'd agree with Game Theory. MatPat seems like a good dude, but every time I watched a Game Theory, I just felt like "Why did I even just watch that? What was the point of all of that?". I generally feel that way with most conspiracy theory stuff though.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Skrillex is by all accounts an extremely cool dude but his solo work is almost entirely terrible.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I really like Rami from Vlambeer as a personality and as a thinker but I never got into one of his games. The dude seems like an awesome and super smart guy but his games haven't done it for me yet.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Aubrey Plaza is one of my favorite celebrities on the planet, but I haven't really liked anything she's starred in or produced since Parks & Rec ended.

Lin-Manuel Miranda is another awesome person whose work I try to avoid now. Hamilton was fine for, like, one listen, but it's so cheesy I can't go back to it. A lot of his other music has that same quality.

Hideo Kojima... doesn't make great games but I love his persona within the games industry.

David Lynch is another good one.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Now I'm curious if other people feel this way

In fairness, when Game of Thrones was released, Dinklage was given the Emmy and proclaimed one of the best actors on the show.

Now they give his character significantly less to do, and his acting appears stale and repetitive. It may be that, but he's definitely no Lena Headey, who he often has appeared alongside.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Orson Scott card is a dope writer that holds shitty ideas

So yeah separating works from creators is important since we don't have access to their thoughts when evaluating works

Edit: I see its Opposite Day today

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like the definition of Kevin Smith. Sorry, Kevin Smith.

Also, Cardi B. She's fresh in my mind given the recent thread about her lol

Feel like a lot of hip hop fans would say J. Cole. I'm not one of em, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't sort of understand why they feel that way.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Kevin Smith was the voice of a generation, but that generation grew up. He ran out of things to say.

(At least in movies, not talking about podcasts/Youtube videos and such)

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In fairness, when Game of Thrones was released, Dinklage was given the Emmy and proclaimed one of the best actors on the show.

Now they give his character significantly less to do, and his acting appears stale and repetitive. It may be that, but he's definitely no Lena Headey, who he often has appeared alongside.

I'd chalk up his lack of things to do as the writers fault, everything from the books he excelled at, he was consistently one of the most liked actors on the show and had a lot of stand out moments. The scene where he get's all his feelings out at the trail for example is one of the highlights of the show, and his one on one scenes are always stellar.

He's just been pushed way into the background now due to the story becoming about other people, he's still a good actor but he's not getting the material he deserves.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Guy Pearce. Seems like a good guy, but almost everything post-Memento has been pretty mediocre. That said, he was great in Factory Girl and The King's Speech.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For all the complaints Seth Macfarlane gets he seems to be a pretty nice guy in reality despite the problematic elements in his shows---to the point I legit think he may be one of the few non-sex creeps in Hollywood right now.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Yeahhh... Kevin Smith fits. To a point anyway. I still like Dogma. And I enjoy his enthusiasm for his podcasts etc., even if I really don't listen particularly frequently. He would be a fun guy to hang out with, and he has a good head on his shoulders. Especially in light of the Weinstein scandal.

But the majority of his filmography does noooot do it for me.

OP
OP
Nick Nehidnyk

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For all the complaints Seth Macfarlane gets he seems to be a pretty nice guy in reality despite the problematic elements in his shows---to the point I legit think he may be one of the few non-sex creeps in Hollywood right now.
Yeah, Macfarlane seems like he's a pretty regular guy in a world of megalomaniacs and predators. Many would argue that his content furthers the oppression of women and racial minorities, but at least he seems like a decent guy. Furthermore, if I recall correctly, he hasn't written anything for Family Guy in a while, and instead collects money from it to fund his Star Trek LARP (which I do enjoy for the record).

Orson Scott card is a dope writer that holds shitty ideas

So yeah separating works from creators is important since we don't have access to their thoughts when evaluating works

Edit: I see its Opposite Day today

Yeah, sorry about that.

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Wachowski Sisters.

LOVE the Matrix Trilogy, Love Bound, Love V, Love Speed Racer, Love Assasins, And Love Ninja Assasin.

But Cloud Atlas And Jupiter Ascending were fucking garbage.

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
I dont hate Kevin Smith's work but I have little intetest in it. However I just love the person. He comes across like such a positive-minded and humble dude. Which is something that is sorely needed in geek culture. I listen to his podcast whenever I get the opportunity, just for him and for Marc Benardin as well.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Kevin Smith was the voice of a generation, but that generation grew up. He ran out of things to say.

My take is that Kevin decided he wanted to make movies in his 20s, went to one semester of film school, wrote a few decent movies with his own unique voice based on how he and his friends thought and spoke. When he went to make other-real films, he probably didn't have the skill or background to pull all of that off without being able to lean on his real life experiences. His film work past 1999 is a lot of him learning on the job, and while I would argue most of the films he made were not TERRIBLE (neither were they Clerks or Chasing Amy), it's clear he's a better entertainer and human being than a filmmaker.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would love to get high with Kevin Smith and talk about Star Wars. Haven't liked one of his movies since the 90s, and even then I'm kinda embarrassed about those.

Nov 9, 2017
Nostalgia critic, really nice dude who knew what he was talking about. A lot of passion but his videos were terrible. His skits.... bejdjbfhcksmsnkzkde

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Butch Hartman and Seth MacFarlane both have descended into mediocrity as showrunners but both seem like awesome people with a real love for the craft.

OP
OP
Nick Nehidnyk

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nostalgia critic, really nice dude who knew what he was talking about. A lot of passion but his videos were terrible. His skits.... bejdjbfhcksmsnkzkde
YES, I'd forgotten about Doug Walker. His editorials are excellent, but any time he tries to add humor to his thoughts, they tear each other apart, leaving an unfunny video with no critical substance. It's unfortunate really, his more serious videos are delightful, as are the occasional Nostalgia Critic when the subject material is really bad.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People seemed to have this reaction to Yooka Laylee. They loved the devs and their previous works, they liked their stance on that racist dude but they didn't love the game.

Not me though. Never played Banjo, never played Yooka.

Deleted member 4208

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll add one more for Seth McFarlane. I don't care for any of his shows at all but outside of that he seems like a genuinely decent and intelligent person.