• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It'd be Kevin Smith if it weren't for the guilty pleasure that's Dogma. And I only wrote guilty because of the pun.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Jim Sterling? I watched his videos back when he was on the Escapist and I enjoyed his humor and have agreed with him for the most part, but I've only watched a handful of his stuff over the last few years. Just seems like every video is 20 minutes of rehashing the same points he been saying for years. And while I probably agree with him, at a certain point it just became preaching to the choir, I know what points he is probably going to make before even clicking the link, so there is really no need to even watch the video.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
But I bet you like his podcasts
I think Smith's effervescence is why he's so loveable, and why his films aren't very good.

It's infectious to hear someone so happy and enthusiastic, without being cynical about it. He really loves everything, and that's great, but he's like that because he doesn't really have discerning tastes, and his films feel like that. They exist in this world in which the viewer is meant to just enjoy everything. They don't seem to care about pacing, or plotting, or growth. They're just 'come and hang out with these people, they're fun'.

Speevy called him the voice of a generation, I think the truth is that he came in the same wave that Linklater established, but Linklater came with a sense of craft within filmmaking that he couldn't achieve until later. Smith came with the intention to never surpass the Slacker style micro-budget production. Even when he did, his craft never improved.

I listened to his interview with a former Westboro Baptist member a few months ago, that was my first exposure to one of his podcasts. Not really a big listener, but I'd seen him in various things over the years, and he always comes across as joyous.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I really like Hbomberguy, he seems like the kind of person who it would be cool to chat about stuff with, even if some of his opinions seem out of wack (unironically likes and defends The Prequels, BvS and Man of Steel, DS2, etc.) Oh, and he also goes all in on the worst elements on Youtube and how being a fascist/racist/misogynist is bad.

The problem is that I have to psych myself up whenever he does a video, because he has a really bad tendency to put in long tangents that make it harder to follow his main points and set aside the time to watch them. Also, while I appreciate and cheer on his efforts to tear down the alt-right on Youtube, I can't personally stand those kinds of videos because they often feature multiple clips of people being unapologetically stupid and hateful, which I just can not deal with. I think the only video I can reliably rewatch and enjoy is his Sherlock one, and even that one has issues.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Post Malone seems like a really cool guy to hang out with, but other than like 1 or 2 songs, I'm not a fan of his music at all.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'll go with Kevin Smith as well. Very funny down to earth dude but it's been a while since he last made a decent film.
I do respect that he's aware of it though.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
A recent example for me would be Duncan Jones.

He seems like a really nice guy and is the son of David Bowie, one of my favourite artists of all time.

I would put Moon up there are one of the best sci-fi movies ever made. Beautiful film that had me on the edge of my seat throughout. However, I watched Warcraft yesterday and......

I hated it. I couldn't believe this was directed by the same person who directed Moon. That film had a soul, but Warcraft was the polar opposite with cringe worthy dialogue, a paper thin plot and characters i didn't give a shit about. Easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

However, I still like Duncan Jones and will watch whatever he does next.........as long as it's not a sequel to Warcraft.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
If we count actors Emilia Clarke, Kit Harington and Sophie Turner count IMO. Every evidence points to them being cool people, but good lord they are bad actors.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
have never seen any of kevin smith's movies but damn if the video where he talks about his time on superman lives isnt the best

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Seth McFarlane - I like the guy, but I don't care for anything he's done.

Rob Liefeld - I kinda feel bad for the guy. He was the 90's comic book artist and gets shit on a lot. He's done a lot of crappy work but he seems like a cool dude I'd have a beer with.

Deleted member 31133

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
His new movie is coming to Netflix next month. I'm pretty excited, especially because it's
a semi-sequel to Moon

I knew it was sci fi, but that was it. Like Moon I wanted to go in with a totally blank slate. But.........

Holy shit. I didn't know it was out next month on Netflix . A semi-sequel to Moon as well........

stop-my-penis-can-only-get-so-erect-memegenerator-net-21050484.png

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
SUDA 51 was a great pick, I also feel this way about most of Yoko Taro's output.

Ringo Starr.

Ringo has the kind of personality and outlook that makes you wanna ruffle his hair and give him a hug and he'd be super chill to hang out with, but his solo work is straight trash aside from the song written by George he does.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Honestly its usually the other way around for me. Plenty of work I love from creators I can't stand.

I guess Seth McFarlane would be the closest one. Seems fine as a person but I can't stand the shows he makes.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Smith's effervescence is why he's so loveable, and why his films aren't very good.

It's infectious to hear someone so happy and enthusiastic, without being cynical about it. He really loves everything, and that's great, but he's like that because he doesn't really have discerning tastes, and his films feel like that. They exist in this world in which the viewer is meant to just enjoy everything. They don't seem to care about pacing, or plotting, or growth. They're just 'come and hang out with these people, they're fun'.

Speevy called him the voice of a generation, I think the truth is that he came in the same wave that Linklater established, but Linklater came with a sense of craft within filmmaking that he couldn't achieve until later. Smith came with the intention to never surpass the Slacker style micro-budget production. Even when he did, his craft never improved.

I listened to his interview with a former Westboro Baptist member a few months ago, that was my first exposure to one of his podcasts. Not really a big listener, but I'd seen him in various things over the years, and he always comes across as joyous.

Yeah I really like him as a person, and that's what you get in the podcasts. Not so much with the movies. The irony of him playing a silent character...

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
Hideo Kojima

He seems very passionate and pushes the industry in new directions, which I admire. Also he is just a likable guy.

I tend to love the music and art direction in his games; however, I attribute this more to the musicians and artists. Just my opinion obviously, but the other aspects of his games sadly come up short. Admittedly, I haven't played the entire Kojima library, and maybe I'm uninformed about the degree of involvement he has with the soundtrack/concept art process.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Darren Hayes former singer of Savage Garden & Sometimes Solo Artist, really don't like his music, had no interest in him.

But when saw him on Star Wars Youtube stream a few years ago, I found out he's he's a fellow Star Wars fan thought thats cool & I follow him on Twitter, seems like a real nice guy.

Oct 30, 2017
as far as i know i hate everything tom hanks has ever done except toy story. he seems like a good dude though!

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I loathe the interface and art within all of Christine Love's visual novels, especially the interface, which seems convoluted for purposes I don't really care about. I also didn't really like the writing; though admittedly I don't hate it, and I never got far enough in any of her games to experience it fully because of my problems with the aforementioned elements. But she seems really cool from everything I've seen.

Maybe Seth McFarlane as well? That one's weird because I find Brian in Family Guy kind of insufferable, and he's basically him by all accounts. I guess I admire him but I wouldn't really want to hang out with him.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I absolutely love JK Rowling, I think she's an amazing person and getting so many kids to read is an important achievement.

I think Harry Potter is absolute trash and the character himself is a low-budget Luke Skywalker.

Viera

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Britney Spears seems like a really good person these days but I'm not a fan of pop

SUDA 51 was a great pick, I also feel this way about most of Yoko Taro's output.

Ringo Starr.

Ringo has the kind of personality and outlook that makes you wanna ruffle his hair and give him a hug and he'd be super chill to hang out with, but his solo work is straight trash aside from the song written by George he does.

Rings Starr is actually apparently a massive asshole haha

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
outside of stuff like clerks and dogma it's like kevin smith movies are made by a completely different person

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I respect Jay Z and Kendrick Lamar a great deal. I appreciate their talent, ear for beats and stylistic choices.

Outside of a couple of songs from each, I do not enjoy the music they produce.

EDIT: Same for BROCKHAMPTON.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
I like Ralph Bakshi for his straightforwardness and contribution to adult animation, but most of his works are bad, with the exception of the adaptation of Lord of the Rings.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
Dave Grohl. Seems like an awesome dude but im not a fan of Nirvana or the Foo Fighters.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Amber from f(x)

I don't hate her solo work, but it's okay. She seems lovely though. Just wish SM Entertainment would give her better material and bigger MV budgets.

Oct 28, 2017
Gerry Anderson (creator of Thunderbirds). He seemed like a nice, clever guy and I appreciate his and his crews contributions to TV sci-fi and SFX (some of his staff went on to work on Star Wars), but the works he produced nearly always had a sleek style and a solid concept but little substance and lackluster execution.

There's a great write-up from Jonathan Clements about him.

I really like Hbomberguy, he seems like the kind of person who it would be cool to chat about stuff with, even if some of his opinions seem out of wack (unironically likes and defends The Prequels, BvS and Man of Steel, DS2, etc.) Oh, and he also goes all in on the worst elements on Youtube and how being a fascist/racist/misogynist is bad.

lol, Hbomberguy is the exact opposite for me (albeit I can't bring myself to watch his work now) - he gaslighted an employee who was sexually assaulted by one of his close friends/employees.
The short and simple of it is that Hbomberguy refused to believe a person who is a rape survivor when he came up to Hbomb about the fact that a close friend of Hbomberguy, also serving on his production and mod team, had in 2011 made innapropriate harrassing and rapey comments towards this person. It was also acknowledged that the person in question was perceived as being "creepy" by his and Hbomberguy's female friends and fans in the live streams he participated in. Hbomberguy even shows that he knew on some level his response was wrong, but he then later said things that effectively gaslighted this person and called into question their own memory and perception of the accused party. Hbomberguy, instead of taking the time to listen to what the person had to say about his friend and keep an open mind, casted doubt about their whole experience because he didn't want to believe that his friend was sexist and a creep despite the clear evidence to the contrary.