Have you ever played a Bandai Playdia game?

• No

Votes: 120 91.6%
  • Yes, I own / owned real hardware

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Yes, I tried / borrowed real hardware

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes, but only ports / emulation / clones / seen anime rips

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
If so, please tell me when, how, what game and all the details. This is among my mythical unicorn gaming hardware. The kind of hardware I read about in magazines, but never even saw in real life. I know some of the fmv games were ripped into videos that you could watch, but I don't think any of them retained their quick time / choice nature.

In 1994 - 1996 was also when I liked Dragon Ball. And I did see clips in Japanese of that game years later in really bad quality. I guess they must've looked much better on real hardware.

Did anyone ever see a real Playdia here?

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
s-l1200.webp

That Dragon Ball game.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
latest

The first few games were aimed at children, then Bandai tried to reposition it towards adults. It only lasted 2 years before being discontinued.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
haven't played them but I own a boxed Playdia, both DBZ games, the Sailor Moon game for some reason AND the two DBZ OVAs on VHS

to all the kids out there: don't start a Dragon Ball Z collection, it takes you to some dark places.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I consider my self pretty well versed on consoles and the history, I actually wasn't even aware of this - so I don't have any feedback for you OP but I now have a new rabbit hole to jump into so thanks for that.

Oct 26, 2017
There are some consoles like this or the Apple Pippin or the FM Towns Marty or Magnavox Odyssey where if any more than 5 people say they own one, they're lying. There has been so many obscure systems in gaming history that make the Jaguar look like a great success.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
This must be the first thread of this series where I don't believe I've ever even heard of the system.

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
haven't played them but I own a boxed Playdia, both DBZ games, the Sailor Moon game for some reason AND the two DBZ OVAs on VHS

to all the kids out there: don't start a Dragon Ball Z collection, it takes you to some dark places.
People like you make these threads so worth it! Did you buy it when it was new? Was it expensive? Are the Dragon Ball games fun?

mute

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of those crappy Atgames Genesis minis and their horrible IR controllers. Worst idea ever.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
People like you make these threads so worth it! Did you buy it when it was new? Was it expensive? Are the Dragon Ball games fun?

Nah, I got it maybe 6 years ago? Not very expensive. I haven't had a chance to play them yet but from what I understand they are not very good 😂

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Come on OP, make a thread about the Terebikko next. I got you.
You have that one too? 😀
Yeah I think this is the first time OP has stumped me!
Sorry! I just like failures I guess. I really wanted a game.com back in the day.
This reminds me of those crappy Atgames Genesis minis and their horrible IR controllers. Worst idea ever.
Tell that to all those chasing fmv-games from late 80s to mid 90s.
Nah, I got it maybe 6 years ago? Not very expensive. I haven't had a chance to play them yet but from what I understand they are not very good 😂
That's a shame. Do you know if any of the games were more visual novel games than quick time event games?

OP
OP
Tailzo

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I never heard of that hardware I think, I kinda like the design of it.
Me too. I was in awe of it back in the day. Seeing photos of Japan only gaming hardware really made it all the more interesting.

I'm glad Anth0ny replied. But I wish the 4 other owners had written about it too 🙂