• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Frequently I won't finish a title - or I'll have a desire to replay one - and I'll come back to it months later only to find myself having forgotten vital nuances or large swaths of mechanics altogether.

Have you ever found yourself experiencing this? With which games? Is a fear of this ever a hindrance to returning to a title? Would you sooner restart a game from the beginning than attempt to play from the middle where you left off?

Edit: A fear of this is presently stopping me from returning to a late-game Sekiro save.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did this with The Witcher 3 last night. Haven't played it in like two years and spent about the first ten minutes re-learning the controls etc while in the middle of a quest.

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
Haven't returned a game in years. Last game I traded was SMT4 for 4A when it came out. Before then...I can't even remember.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
95% of the time! I constantly switch games.

Recently I went back to Fallen Order and was thinking I had an air dash and didn't know what button that might be. Alternatively when I went back to Hat In Time I forgot about the air dash.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
All the time, but it's not so much forgetting the controls as it is just not being able to get back into the groove with a game. It's hard to go back to most games when you haven't played it in months.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Usually I just restart

And then realize I remember enough to make the tutorials annoying but not enough to be able to skip them entirely....

OP
OP
mindsale

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Another thing I want to do is resume my 4th Three Houses playthrough from the later stages but I'm worried I'll have forgotten something vital since July when I put it down.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
This happened to me with FF15, I'd put in about two and a half hours, then returned about two and a half months later...
oh god, how do I combat?

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Stepped away from Sekiro for months with nothing left but the endgame bosses lol. Bit of a hassle coming back to it

This topic is basically how I play games. It kinda sucks, to be honest, but I always stop a game thinking I'll be back in a couple days.

Days turn into weeks, weeks into months, etc.

I'd say most games I play are like this. It's the main reason I try to play old arcade-style games these days.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I don't end up getting dlc for some games. Like I finished it 6 months ago and now I"m not so familiar with it anymore.

OP
OP
mindsale

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
This is why I don't end up getting dlc for some games. Like I finished it 6 months ago and now I"m not so familiar with it anymore.

I've absolutely fallen into this camp. I just straight up won't consider additional purchases for a title because I'm not sure if my muscle memory is still there.

Oct 29, 2017
Constantly. I always have like 10 games going at a time that I flit between; I'm terrible about sticking to one game until I'm done with it.

I really appreciate games with good tutorials that can be re-run, or even games that detect when you haven't played in a long time and give you a refresher.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I went back to Sekiro after quitting at the last boss shortly after it came out or thereabouts, started a new playthrough and am suddenly good as fuck at it like some Matrix shit.

It's like the opposite of the topic at hand.

Oct 27, 2017
It's the main reason I haven't picked Death Stranding up since putting it down in December.

I felt this way after playing it twice when it first released, and then dropping it until early January due to the small text. I eventually picked it up again and I'm back in business, but there are a lot of little menus and systems all over the place.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Has been heroes, but that's because it has a rhythm and you build up to it and the only way to fix it is to reset progression

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
It depends on the game.

Stuff like say Ratchet and Clank or Tomb Raider where I've played multiple games multiple times over the years and the controls remain consistent, I can pick up and remember everything no problem.

When Control's DLC comes out? I'll probably have to replay through the game again before I start it to relearn everything.

Losing some muscle memories are not the end of the world. Eg forgetting the boost start timing in Mario Kart. Other times you forget things that are essential.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I had a rough month on Apex in October after not touching an FPS for almost 6 months. I just got to where all my kills aren't coming from shooting people looting dead boxes anymore.

Nov 17, 2017
I get muscle memory from games I play a lot so when I switch back to something I haven't played in a while, my muscle memory from the last game is still there and will cause me to press the wrong buttons or even worse, imagine I can do some mechanic from one game in another game.

Eventually my muscle memory from the old game reboots after playing a bit.

amnesties

Nov 17, 2017
the witness. tried to pick up again after a year but its impossible without remembering how i solved previous puzzles

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
This is part of the reason I keep not going back to Pillars of Eternity. I'm 20 hours in and the problem keeps getting worse the longer I hold out.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
All the damn time. Have to get reacquainted with the controls almost always and then also got back into the flow so to speak. Only a handful of games this is not necessary for. Usually FPS MP I am pretty good with remembering right away. Otherwise it can almost be like playing a game for the first time again.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, currently trying to finish NieR: Automata before I see the symphonic concert this weekend. Luckily button mashing goes pretty far.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
This is the tragedy of Hollow Knight for me....It was a long, difficult, immersive, and intriguing journey to get where I was..... Now if I try to start I'm so lost as to make it unplayable😥

Don't have time to restart. I've just called it "finished for me" at this point. But I'm a bit sad about it.

Bring on the sequel🧚🏽‍♂️

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
The 50+ hours I put into Xenoblade Chronicles almost (over?) a decade ago say hi.

Sometimes I think about starting a website or a channel that's just about tutorials/lore catchups for people who already spent a bunch of hours on a game and then forgot how to play it. I don't actually have the energy for this so hopefully someone makes it for me!

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game and how far I was. If it's something like Fire Emblem Three Houses or any FPs I can pick that up pretty quickly.

Things like Elder Scrolls, or Shadow or Mordor or FFVII or KH though, I'd have to restart (well, not KH because by this point I know those games well enough that I'd know exactly where to go regardless of how much time has passed)

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I try to finish games that I've started (unless I end up not enjoying it), but there are times when life gets in the way. I dropped Zelda Spirit Tracks, Tales of the Abyss, and Metroid Samus Returns for nearly a year due to events and had to relearn some of the controls, but worst of all, where I left off. I ended up completing all of them when I went back to them.

After multiple sequels of the Souls series, when the DLC releases I have to relearn some of the controls and remember my way through areas.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Horizon fucked me after I hadn't touched it in over a year or so.

I just ran from everything, thought about starting a new game 25hrs in lol.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
Last summer. Played God of War for about 20 hours, watched a YT video about the crusades and really wanted to play some Crusader Kings 2. Three months later, I have no idea how to do anything in GoW. The plan is to start over again sometime this year.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
This is a monthly occurrence for me. Usually I can pick it back up but sometimes you just need to restart. Shadow Tactics was like that. I was completely lost and that game is too hard to not know what you're doing.

Jerrod

Dec 24, 2017
Did this with The Witcher 3 last night. Haven't played it in like two years and spent about the first ten minutes re-learning the controls etc while in the middle of a quest.
This is going to be me soon. My girlfriend and I recently finished the Netflix Witcher show and now she wants to watch me play the game which I haven't played since it came out.