• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
It was re-released to theaters in the 1980s.
It was apparently released on VHS.
And according to wikipedia The Disney Channel was showing it on TV until 2001.

So, just from those 3 sources it's completely possible I could've seen it. If I did watch it I have no memory of it.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think fear of controversy is just a convenient excuse to not release a product they don't see selling all that well today.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Never seen it but PAL VHS were all over the place here in the 90s (you could stroll into Blockbuster and rent one). I do remember it being advertised on other Disney VHS at the time (Robin Hood? The Little Mermaid?), could've just been for the sing-a-longs right enough.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw it sometime in the 80's, but I don't remember where. Aside from some of the Brer Rabbit stuff and the Zippity Do Dah song, I have almost no recollection of it.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
I knew zip a dee do da growing up so I guess I watched it on The Disney channel growing up (UK).

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
UK. Born in 2000, family had a VHS copy that I used to watch a considerable amount.

I remember thinking it was fine. Obviously the racism is fucking horrendous but I feel they should have it around because at the end of the day, it's art and only censoring it/not releasing it doesn't do a good job. I feel it should be around to remind us of our unfortunate past.

Sins of the father etc.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure I saw it as a kid in the early 80s on tv.

Racism was not uncommon in mainstream media at that point and I was a kid so it didn't really stand out to me. I remember not really liking the movie. It was no The Black Cauldron.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah watched it as a kid in about 86 i think and obviously didnt think anything was bad about it.

Oh to be an innocent child....

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Pretty sure they showed this at church when I was really little. I hardly remember a thing about it, though.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked that lots of people watched the movie in the 80's, I always thought that it was "cancelled" way before that

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen it, and somewhat suspect that, should they ever actually rerelease it, folks would suddenly discover that most of it is actually horrifically boring.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Zippity-Doo-Dah used to be a part of those singalong Disney tapes from the 90s, so I am exposed to that one.

Man, is that a memorable song. Shame about how it is associated with the movie...

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I think we had the ABC special or whatever it was on the opening of Splash Mountain too. Went to Disneyland that year, rode it once because the line fucking sucked and from what I understand there are people still waiting in line from 1989 as well. Pirate of the Carribean was fucking rad though, went on that probably more than everything else combined. Hated It's A Small World, I think there were animatronics or something that creeped me out on top of the annoying song.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm older and remember it, saw it a lot. I even had a Brier Rabbit and the Tar Baby book as a kid in the 80s.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Yeah, A college friend may or may not have acquired a torrent once that included every animated Disney film ever made

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I saw it in the 80's at my cousin's house. Being a very young child at the time, I felt the live action portions rather boring and I don't have any memories of those portions of the film. I just remember the bits with Brer Rabbit...

Realizing the context of why the movie is so controversial as an adult makes me wonder how Splash Mountain was ever themed after Song of the South.

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, saw at the movie theater when I was a kid. My parents bought us a bunch of old Disney's Golden Books somewhere, and this was one of them:

4345611.jpg

Yep, I remember this exact book too. My mom had a bunch of these old Disney books.

I'm black and as a kid in the 80's I didn't think anything of this...until I got older. I should ask my mom why this shit was kept around.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Only know it from having all those Sing Along Songs on VHS as a kid. I LOVED Zip a Dee Doo Dah even though I didn't understand that it was part of a larger movie. I THINK we probably saw one of those reshowings in the 80s but I just don't remember.

A couple years ago, PBS had that GREAT Walt Disney documentary and I was telling my mom about it and how it had this whole section about the release of SotS and she says, "I know I'm probably alone on this but I genuinely love that movie from seeing it as a kid and wish they'd release it on DVD."

I mean we're a pretty forward thinking family and she's probably the person I must respect in this world, but I'm not sure what to think about that.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And according to wikipedia The Disney Channel was showing it on TV until 2001.

The film (minus the infamous Tar Baby scene which was cut from all television airings) was also aired on US television as part of the Disney Channel's "Lunch Box" program in the 1980s and 1990s until December 18, 2001.

Given that Lunch Box was a half hour collection of cartoons, that's a big ol' citation needed.

They might have played some of the Brer Rabbit animations.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A couple years ago, PBS had that GREAT Walt Disney documentary and I was telling my mom about it and how it had this whole section about the release of SotS and she says, "I know I'm probably alone on this but I genuinely love that movie from seeing it as a kid and wish they'd release it on DVD."

I mean we're a pretty forward thinking family and she's probably the person I must respect in this world, but I'm not sure what to think about that.
I've known others who thought that way. I don't get it from any point of view because it's also boring as hell on top of everything else

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I've seen parts of it, and was definitely read books in that lineage as a kid.

I can't really enjoy Splash Mountain because of the theming though.