• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
This movie has become kind of notorious because of it's subject matter-and I was talking to my daughter and niece about this tonight. We're going to Disneyland soon and they thought it was weird that the characters on Splash Mountain are from a movie that's basically wiped from existence. (everytime we've been to Disneyland it's been closed)

I remember watching it when I was a kid and can't remember where I saw it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_of_the_South

Despite not having a home video release in the United States, audio from the film—both the musical soundtrack and dialogue—were made widely available to the public from the time of the film's debut up through the late 1970s. In particular, many book-and-record sets were released, alternately featuring the animated portions of the film or summaries of the film as a whole.[52] The Walt Disney Company has also allowed key portions of the film to be issued on many VHS and DVD compilations in the U.S., as well as on the long-running Walt Disney anthology television series. Most recently, "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" and some of the animated portions of the film were issued on the Alice in Wonderland 2-DVD Special Edition set. These segments are part of a 1950 Walt Disney TV special included on the DVD which promoted the then-forthcoming Alice in Wonderland film.

The full-length film has been released in its entirety on VHS tape and LaserDisc in various European and Asian countries. In the UK, it was released on PAL VHS tape first in 1982, then in 1991, and again in 2000. In Japan it appeared on NTSC VHS, and LaserDisc in 1990 with Japanese subtitles during songs (additionally, under Japanese copyright law, the film is now in the public domain).[53] A NTSC DVD was released in Taiwan for the rental market by Intercontinental Video Ltd, which has been the exclusive distributor of Walt Disney Studios since 1989. This release appears to have been created from a PAL videotape, and has a 4% faster running time because of its PAL source.[54][55] While most foreign releases of the film are literal translations of the English title, the German title, Onkel Remus' Wunderland, translates to "Uncle Remus' Wonderland", the Italian title, I Racconti Dello Zio Tom, translates to "The Stories of Uncle Tom",[56] and the Norwegian title Onkel Remus forteller translates to "Storyteller Uncle Remus".[57]

In July 2017 after being inaugurated as a Disney Legend, Whoopi Goldberg expressed a desire for Song of the South to be re-released publicly to American audiences.[58]

On March 7, 2019 Disney CEO Robert Iger announced that The Walt Disney Company would be abolishing the "Disney Vault" and releasing "all" of its classic films and television shows on a new streaming media service called Disney+. Song of the South is among the top request to be included for viewing in the new streaming service's catalog which is set to launch in late September 2019. [59]

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
When I was really little I think I saw part of it, but not the whole movie. When I was a kid, Disney still LOVED Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah and played it all the damn time.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, but not the entire movie, only the cartoon parts with the Brer rabbit. I think I saw it on Disney Channel way back in the day.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw it in the theater when I was a kid. Read books about Bre'r Rabbit and the Tar Baby and all that when I was a kid, too. It was part of those Disney Sing-along Songs VHS series, as well.
Don't remember much of the film, though.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I remember seeing parts of it as a kid.

I also have the 1080p scan of 35mm film print. It looks really good for an amateur transfer. Haven't watched it yet though.

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I definitely remember it, but mostly the brer rabbit cartoon parts.

I think brer rabbit getting rolled and covered in tar is my most vivid memory of it.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Sure, when I was a kid. It was pretty openly fucked up, but it was also an important thing to see just how hard they tried to rewrite history in it. Just from what little we'd talked about slavery in school by that point, it was all fairly obvious.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I saw it on the Disney Channel back in the '80s. They made a big deal of it at the time, but I don't remember the live action stuff very clearly.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
I feel like I've seen it; but it's been so long maybe all I saw were bits and pieces and had books and my mind is filling in the rest of the memories. Who knows. I do know when my mom took me to Disneyworld I was super excited for the Splash Mountain ride because I liked the characters.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I saw at least some of it when I was a kid (early/mid 90s? born 86) but I have absolutely no idea how or where. I used to think I had only seen clips, but when I went and watched it as an adult I remembered a surprising amount of it.

They should release it with a Warner-style disclaimer -

warner-brothers-warning.jpg

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
I was born in 80, I saw the film a million times growing up. It is still a classic even with the controversy looking back. The theme song is one of the most iconic songs in a film ever, maybe the most iconic Disney song, at least top five.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My mom made me go see it, because she was tired of me asking to go to repeated viewings of Return of the Jedi. At some point she said I was not allowed to watch Return of the Jedi again until I had seen something different first.

This was back when many theatres only had 1-2 screens, so we saw Song of the South since that was what was running on the other screen. I don't much remember it, beyond the famous tar baby sequence. Most of what's considered offensive about the film is the live-action stuff, I believe.

Despite all the bans and restricted releases, it's arguably still the most iconic and recognizable adaptation of African American folklore.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah also born in the 80's. My parents took me to see it in a reshowing in a theater in the 80's...

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I did, made it a point in the early 00s to torrent a copy of the one VHS media release that someone converted to digital.

The Brer rabbit sections (outside of zipadeedodah) have issues. Especially the tar baby. Yes it's the most famous of the Brer Rabbit stories, but it's a tar baby. Complete with really offensive drawing.

Zipadeedodah is classic, practically inoffensive (when taken out of context) and is still catchy.

The live action scenes are worse than the prewar sections of gone with the wind. gone with the wind makes it a point to showcase the fall of society surrounding th upper elite of the old south due to the civil war. It's incredibly problematic and has issues. But despite the subject matter it still gets its point across that we really shouldn't give a damn about her.

Song of the south has non of that. Complete with overdubbing the African American chorus with obviously white singers. It's offensive, put bluntly. The main story isn't even about uncle Remus. It's about the son and father of the house that uncle Remus "attends" to. He is essentially only there to sing zipadeedodah and introduce the animated sections. The timing is awkward in that it could be reconstruction, it could be prewar. It still puts a silver veneer on a terrible thing in American history.

From what I'm to understand even back in the day progressive cities (I.e. coastal cities) had issues with the live action scenes.

This movie is literally the one thing I am expecting that Disney will NOT include in Disney+

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, watched it once on a bootleg VHS and a few times after that for a Film History class in college. It's not that good of a movie, racist shit aside, but it's a very interesting historical point for what is now a massive fucking company.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
When I was a kid in the 70s I vaguely recall seeing it. I find it hard to believe Disney will ever let it out of the vault.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I actually saw it in theaters.....it was a rerelease with bambi in the 80s

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yeah, I like it, and how it shows the animated animals mixed with live footage which would have been quite impressive for the time. Kinda sad how you can't properly see the film these days that features Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
I saw at least some of it when I was a kid (early/mid 90s? born 86) but I have absolutely no idea how or where. I used to think I had only seen clips, but when I went and watched it as an adult I remembered a surprising amount of it.

Disney did this with their propaganda war films, they should really release the movie.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I am fine with this, but it should definitely be released again

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. When I was a kid I was really interested in knowing what the plot of Splash Mountain actually was because the ride seemed a bit all over the place, so I did some digging and found out it was based on a movie that was apparently forbidden. Managed to find a copy and watch it. For the most part I thought it was pretty boring, then when I got older I saw the rest of the problems for what they were. Then I did even more digging and found even more problems stemming from the source material itself.

It's pretty insane how Disney attempted to effectively drain all traces of the live action bits from it so they could continue to use the rest without raising any concern, and how they seem to have succeeded.
I actually saw it in theaters.....it was a rerelease with bambi in the 80s
Probably ahead of time for the ride.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I saw it in theaters when I was really young. Only thing I remember was the song. Disney should let this one stay in the vault; anyone who wants to see it for film study or curiosity can dig up a bootleg copy.

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017
First of all, if there is anyone in your party afraid of puppets you better make sure they know they are in for a wild ride. The fall is irrelevant when it comes to the weirdness in the path of the Splash Mountain.

I think there is plenty of controversy regarding the Song of the South

Probably ahead of time for the ride.

Congratulations, you just turned this thread into gold

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I've seen a good amount of it, but this was like when I was 7

Note, I'm 23. The only reason I even know it exists is because my asshole father made sure I knew about it. And for some reason at the age of 7.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Yes, it's on the internet, not really hard to find. The animation is decent but aside from it being racist it's just dreadfully boring. The main kid literally watches a clock for entertainment at one point.

also that bully kid that wants to kill the other kid's puppy, wanted to smack that kid

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

I never really understood why they don't just do this and be done with it. For as protective of their image as they are it's strange to me that they wouldn't want the chance to own the messaging around it rather than people hunting down bootlegs and coming to their own conclusions

Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird how one of the biggest attractions at DL and WDW are based on this yet Disney trues ti pretend the movie doesn't exist

Dec 22, 2017

On the Disney Treasures, they have Leonard Maltin talk before the cartoons that have elements of racism. He'd have to do an 80 minute keynote before Song of the South.

I somehow saw it as a kid. And tried to rewatch a few years ago on Youtube. It's bad. Real bad.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
When I was 14, I realised I was only 10 films away from finishing watching all the Disney films, so I watched this. Full disclaimer re: my opinion - I'm white. Anyway... it wasn't that good. Like the 2D animation with live action is technically impressive and there's some good songs, but it's mostly boring. I felt uncomfortable with the racism, but my knowledge of race in America wasn't nuanced enough to really know why I felt like that.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
a. I had no idea what Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah was from
b. I had no idea splash mountain was based off anything
c. I've never seen the movie.

I'm almost 30.. Feeling dumb over here

stressboy

Oct 25, 2017
80s kid here. I saw it during a theatrical run back in the mid 80s. I remember a little bit of it.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard the song before but didn't know it was from this movie. Pretty sure I haven't seen it

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I mean aside from the song and some of the animated clips Disney has tried to sweep the movie under the rug since 1986, so there's no reason to feel dumb.

I guess they're doing a pretty good job then. If it's racist, then good on them for not wanting to be associated I guess. I've probably only ever seen 2 movies made before 1960, so I don't feel so bad now. Not a movie person

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
one of my Disney Park predictions is Splash Mountain gets rethemed to Moana sometime during the next 11 years.