• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should probably include some context on why the movie is problematic in the OP. I had never heard about it. I mean, i got there from the title and then the wiki but i'm just saying it would be nice to have further info in your OP.

I'm guessing Disney will be just fine pretending the movie doesn't exist. Maybe they'll make a less racist remake some day.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
also somewhat related, a really good video about the pre Splash Mountain attraction based on the Song of the South characters

Dang it, you beat me to it. Also, this video has the origin of that Splash Mountain rap posted above. Eisner judged any new ride on how tubular his kid thought it was, and thus that promo video was born.
Only Zip-a-dee-doo-dah which was on one of those Disney Sing-a-long tapes I had as a kid.
Same here. I just discovered the copy I had while cleaning out the garage over the summer, although I donated it to Goodwill alongside the other VHS tapes.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
About two years ago Disney began restoring all of their archival stuff in full 4K. They did Song of the South and removed the camera jitter. They showed bits of it to people at a presentation they did on their archival efforts when they began working on all of the Mickey shorts and people said it looked amazing. It'll never be released though, they just did it to have a pristine version archived.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
So was Tower of Terror

The original Tower of Terror is still running in Florida.

The California one was a cheap rip off missing a lot of what made the original so good. Nothing of value was lost.

They're not even in the same ballpark as far as history goes, I mean, come on... ToT wasn't even in the original park, it's in Cali Adventure

And it wasn't even in DCA when DCA opened. It was the first of many cheap and quick band-aid fixes to the Eisner disaster.

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I saw it as a kid, and I loved it. I thought the music was great and I loved Brer Rabbit. I though he was the best. Obviously I didn't know any better about the horrible racist stuff that is in the movie.
I honestly don't remember anything about the movie aside from a few of the characters and there was a thorn bush in the movie.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
all I'm saying is if Pirates of the Caribbean isn't safe from politically correct changes, neither is Splash Mountain.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
all I'm saying is if Pirates of the Caribbean isn't safe from politically correct changes, neither is Splash Mountain.
there's nothing politically incorrect about Splash Mountain though, Disney was careful to not include anything in the ride that would be. Uncle Remus isn't featured or referenced in any way, nor is the tar baby. Only remnants from the film that appear are the song and the bear/fox/rabbit.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
Splash Mountain has in both parks been very sure to remove offensive material from the ride, leaving it solely to deal with Rabbit, Fox and Bear, with some of the other characters at certain parts which kind of ride the line.

I've seen the movie and it's certainly not great. However I do think that with the disclaimer included at the beginning and end of the film it should be included in the streaming service, possibly in a similar manner to how WWE handled mature content on their service where you have to specifically search for the title for it to pop up and can't be found simply by browsing. It's one of those things that requires parental guidance I think to explain what was going on during that time and how the depictions of characters like Uncle Remus/Tar Baby are problematic.

cirr

Oct 26, 2017
Northern VA
I watched it as a kid on VHS when I rented it. I didn't have access to broadcast TV at the time but we could rent tapes.

I watched it much later with friends about decent years ago after finding on an alternate YouTube site where it was desynced or something. The impetus behind the endeavor was to see how it aged. In short, 'not well'.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I think I saw it on VHS when I was very young in the early 2000's, but I can't be sure.

I just vaguely remember the VHS box cover at my grandma's house, I can't even say for certain that I actually saw it.
Kind of looked like some bootleg Disney rip-off from the cover.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I'm from the UK, so I saw one of the PAL VHS releases when I was very young in the early 90s. Like many here, I just remember being bored throughout and subsequently forgot all about it until I got older and discovered the problematic nature of it all.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Studied animation in college. Animation history was one of our classes, and... yeah we watched parts of it, and afew other real dark parts of animation history. Ever watch Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarfs? Yeah, that's some real fucking garbage. The whole class basically sunk back into the chairs at complete discomfort and revulsion. Our teacher basically was like "Yeah... yeahhhhh... Just thought you guys should know..."

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Story changes within a single minor scene that have no effect on the overall theming are a pretty far cry from a top-to-bottom retheming. Even the bolted on references to the movies (which are gonna age reeeeeal well) are, in this context, far bigger, and are still not even close to a full retheme.

Ironically, despite the history of Song of the South and Disney's effort to erase it, Splash Mountain is probably one of a handful of rides that will forever be completely immune to the possibility of a total retheme (or closure). It would be like retheming Small World (beyond bolting on Disney characters). They would never dare kill Zip-a-Dee Doo-Dah.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
so this is the movie that feature the song " Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Deh..my oh my, what a wonderful day..." ?

only heard of the song from a Disney CD i got in the 90s.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, my mother had it and still complains about not being able to get a new copy of it. 🙄

Oct 27, 2017
I have never seen Song of the So-

tbmesOc.gif

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you could still get it on VHS when I was a kid. I don't think we owned a copy but I certainly borrowed or rented one at some point.

I remember most of the late 80s/early 90s Disney VHS having a trailer for it at the beginning. I saw Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah a lot.

I really think they should release it, doing the same thing as Warner Bros has done with the questionable old Looney Tunes cartoons. Don't market it as a kids' film, and have someone (maybe Whoopi Goldberg if what the OP says about her is true, or a prominent film historian) record an introduction about the historical context, etc. Same thing as was done with Tintin in the Congo - it's sold with adult graphic novels rather than in the kids' section.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I used to have a VHS of it as a kid. Seemed Disney in the EU wasn't that scared of it. Though I don't think they've re-released it since.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Definitley saw zippity doo dah on a sing a long VHS, dont think I saw the whole thing though

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
(UK)

My Gran had it on VHS along with a load of Disney tapes, watched it a couple of times as a kid. Liked the zippity-doo-da song and had it in my head long after forgetting where it came from. Never saw the VHS again so assume it was given to a charity shop or chucked out, only rediscovered the film years later and made the connection between the song, it and the troubling nature of the film.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't think it was ever released on Australia at all. Can't find anything about an aussie release.

I'm Australian and I've seen it a few times.

I believe a few times in primary school (so it must have been on VHS of sorts and no DVD or internet) and on tv a few times possibly when channel 7 used to run Disney programs and films regularly under some sort of 'Magical world of Disney' or similar programming they used to do.

heavy liquid

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, saw at the movie theater when I was a kid. My parents bought us a bunch of old Disney's Golden Books somewhere, and this was one of them:

4345611.jpg

machine

Oct 25, 2017
In 1986, Disney did a theatrical release to celebrate the film's 40th anniversary. I was in college at the time and watched it at a theater near campus. I think it was shortly after that they decided to pretend it didn't exist and locked it away (as far as the US was concerned).

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen it, but I loved "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" (also saw it on a sing-a-long VHS) as a kid, and I had a couple Disney Brer Rabbit books that I loved even more.