• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I threw out my back a couple years ago and it was so bad that I took up yoga after getting better. I missed a week of work.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
When I was about 12, I used to use a lot of pillows at night. One day I woke up and honestly thought my neck was broken. Couldn't move my head even slightly without unbearable pain. Turns out the funny angle of my neck displaced one of the bones in my neck. Osteopath clicked it back into place.

Not quite back but it's the best I can do.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
My back has been pretty bad for over two years. It hurts when I get out of bed and it hurts when I go back to bed. It never stops.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
I've never heard this! I'm super glad I opened this thread now, I could easily have seen myself doing something like this some day. Thanks.

I used to throw out my back every year or so, usually from bending over or for no reason I could see (maybe I overreached, as above, without connecting it to the pain). I started going to the gym three years ago, doing lots of deadlifts, squats, and core exercises, and it hasn't come back yet.
Last paragraph is exactly what happened. Feels terrible, but is quite sobering.
I said out of shape and I SHOULD correct that. Being out of shape contributes, but mostly because we/you just aren't moving your body in the most optimal way it should move. A big part of functional fitness, as I described, is understanding how your body moves. So if I reach for something, beyond being in shape, I also know where my center of gravity needs to be my muscle groups have the muscle memory to support me extending my body out, and if I have to stretch I know how to transfer power from the start of the stretch to the reach, etc.

Mostly that is all just a detailed and fancy way to describe what most people think is "being in shape".. but it's important I feel to point out. Going to the gym and training in functional fitness (usually not machines) is more than just lifting weight. It's teaching your body how to move properly.

Yes this is an ad (though I don't actually know the gym) and yes it's on Facebook but when I describe this to people this is exactly what I'm talking about.

https://www.facebook.com/110661345768597/posts/1199934280174626?sfns=mo

I tremendous trainer once said to me "people who have terrible form in the gym are more likely to hurt themselves reaching for something in the cupboard at home than they are to hurt themselves lifting weight at the gym". This FLOORED me.. but it's true. We live lives of extreme convenience where we never have to squat down, never have to put our arms above our heads for any strenuous work, never have to jump, etc. These are things that every animal knows naturally from birth, us included, and by age 5-8 we lose virtually all of it because we've eliminated the need for it from our lives (and most importantly from our children's lives)

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
A large muscle under my left shoulder blade will seize up, about once a year. There is a lot of scar tissue there, so it gets worse as I get older. I have a crooked spine, so sometimes when I try do something in an awkward position, the muscle will seize up and I can't move.

Only thing to do is rest, hydrate, maybe take some muscle relaxants. My doctor recommended weight lifting to strengthen the back.

ohkay

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I threw out my back a few years ago by lifting something improperly. The only thing that made it feel better for me was laying in bed and not moving.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
Yes, I did it on Monday. It still hurts when I sit down. I was lifting bags at work and then my back started hurting, and it was near the beginning of my shift, so it was a long day at work. It was really bad when I dropped a huge pile of papers on the floor and had to pick them all up.

OP
OP
Metanoia Prime
Oct 26, 2017
California
Yes, I did it on Monday. It still hurts when I sit down. I was lifting bags at work and then my back started hurting, and it was near the beginning of my shift, so it was a long day at work. It was really bad when I dropped a huge pile of papers on the floor and had to pick them all up.
Pain Friends šŸ¤œ

Still recovering. Last night was the worst night of my life. A solid 10/10 on the pain scale. I probably slept a hour and a half altogether. Getting into the car this morning brought tears and yelps out of me, and every bump in the road (as my wife drove me to Kaiser) made me feel like I was getting stabbed. They gave me a shot and prescribed an alternating schedule of ibuprofen and Tylenol plus some muscle relaxants. We'll see how this thing is tomorrow.

I seriously wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. It's excruciating.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what do you do for hip flexor pain? it radiates to my lower back and when really bad i get spasms which are excruciating.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I literally couldn't get out of bed for 5 hours, and when I could finally move a bit; every step and every moment standing up was unrelenting agony. Needed those hard opiods to get me right. They were fucking wonderful. Drugs are awesome.

Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't get out of bed for several days after a bad workout with kettle bell weights. It took all the strength I could muster just to get in the car and get to the doctor who then sent me to get an xray. The technician lady gives me a gown to change into and leads me to a changing room. I'm trying to take my clothes off while every movement sends searing agony through my back. She comes back several minutes later asking if everything is okay. I'm thinking "Did this woman not see how I was moving minutes earlier? Everything is not OK!" but I told her yes and i eventually did manage to undress myself.

The only other people at this particular MRI lab were a bunch of senior citizens which did not fill me with any pride. The MRI didn't show anything that warranted extreme treatment. I got some muscle relaxers and had to suffer through it. I thought for sure I was going to be paralyzed or suffer permanent damage from the ordeal. I'd not felt annything quite like it.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
I've gone to the chiropractor a couple of times for spinal subluxation. No better feeling than when she pops the disc back into correct alignment with that little plunger thingy. (I believe it's called an activator.)

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
This is incredible. How have I never heard this before?
Basically, under load but with bad form your body will employ "fight or flight" to coordinate all muscle groups by any means necessary to make it through. It's why we kick our legs during a pull-up, bend our backs (because our hips shoot up) during a deadlift, etc. This puts incredible strain on and even damages our muscles, but then we often don't use that same group for a week (a cyclical program) giving it time to rest. The problem is then... while not under intense load, out body still doesn't move the way it should because we never trained it to. We extend our body all the way, it's not properly supporting what we're doing and because it's not under intense load "fight or flight" doesn't kick in (or we are actually damaged) and bam.. throw our back out.

One of the best fitness books I've ever come across was Convict Conditioning. It is all calisthenic movements. It starts with movements that virtually everyone can do (barring injury or handicap) and progresses to the top end of body weight movements. I love it because unlike weight training, you will never be able to progress with bad form. Our body won't let us. When we are progressing through these significantly more demanding movements, our body's muscle and support groups all have to be moving efficiently well together for things like one legged squats, one armed pull-ups, handstand push-ups, etc. and even if we never get to those top level skills, we've reinforced our body moving correctly just to get as far in the program as we have.

OP
OP
Metanoia Prime
Oct 26, 2017
California
Doctor's appointment lined up this morning. I'll update after if anyone cares to know how it's progressed.

This morning, the pain is down to a 2/10 while sitting. Standing is ok, too, but taking a step is impossible to do normally. I have to kind of walk by swinging my legs forward by doing a slight pivot on the planted foot. Looks goofy as hell, but it works. I'm hoping there's no disc damage and it's simply a pulled muscle or something. We'll know soon enough!