• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Flu shot 2019?

• I got mine!

Votes: 199 37.6%
  • I have not received mine yet, but I plan to!

Votes: 215 40.6%
  • I haven’t received mine and don’t plan to out of general irresponsibility.

Votes: 105 19.8%
  • I am an anti-vaxxer and am fundamentally misinformed.

Votes: 10 1.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The effectiveness declines over time because of the shrinking antibody population. If you take it now, it will be way less effective by the time the flu season peaks. Flu season is shifting a lot, more to January and February nowadays. So recommendation is to get the shot more towards the end of November. So if you take it now, you get a nice false sense of security.
The CDC is saying to get the flu shot near the end of October, though. I can understand not getting it in July/August but now seems about as good a time as any.

My wife dispensed her first xofluza last week so I'd say between now and the next two weeks would be the best time. Of course it's totally situational based on location but still.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't had the flu in 15/20 years. I'll be getting my shot at work next week. See the people saying never had it, I'm good. You have no idea what is like. Fuck me a real flu is awful.

real2

Jan 31, 2019
Even though I literally live next door to the pharmacy, haven't gotten it yet. Most likely will get it next week when I go and pick up my other medications that I regularly take.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The CDC is saying to get the flu shot near the end of October, though. I can understand not getting it in July/August but now seems about as good a time as any.

My wife dispensed her first xofluza last week so I'd say between now and the next two weeks would be the best time. Of course it's totally situational based on location but still.
It means they aren't following the reality of the reported period, which per ECDC doesn't even start before mid-November.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really bad about forgetting to do this, and then I turn around and flu season's over.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
i havent because the last two times i got vaccinations (not for the flu) i did not feel good afterwards. i felt very uncoordinated for a couple of days, worried it might cause something with my health as i have a lot of other health issues going on so maybe thats the cause. its good that i almost never get a cold or flu symptoms for the last couple of years.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
It can be extremely dangerous, and the more carriers the higher risk of mutations.

Besides, even in a normal year in the US 35k die from it. A lot are young kids, which obviously given how inexpensive it is to treat why wouldn't you get a flu shot if you have insurance? And the other at risk group are the elderly. Yeah, sure they'll probably die within a couple of years anyway but that's a real shit thing to do when it's entirely avoidable.
It's always a possibility but there's usually time to get the shot if a dangerous strain breaks out.

I belong to a risk group but choose to not take the shot because it always made me sick shortly afterwards.

Oct 27, 2017
Got mine at work last week. I get them every year. No point in not getting one.

I just hope they got the strain right this year. I really don't want to get the flu again.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Got an event at work to get people vaccinated.
I don't usually do flu vaccine because I'm garbage like that and I usually never get sick and with flu being as variable as it is, it seems less important than the others.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Got mine. First time in many years. I figured what the hell. Ive been lucky without getting a Flu in probably 10 years but i dont plan on leaving that to chance. Was free and took 5 minutes.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I've only had one once because I am afraid of needles. It's just the flu though.. I might get my wife sick if I catch it, but it seems a little overboard to me to suggest there's some level of responsibility to get one. This isn't a disease we're talking about.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
Got mine. Anyone else's arm more sore than usual the following day?
Mine was for a week. Considering part of my job is putting 30+-pound boxes on skids, it sucked, but I know getting the flu sucks MUCH more.
EDIT:
I've only had one once because I am afraid of needles. It's just the flu though.. I might get my wife sick if I catch it, but it seems a little overboard to me to suggest there's some level of responsibility to get one. This isn't a disease we're talking about.
tenor.gif

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
What. Influenza is a disease that kills hundreds of thousands every year. If you don't like needles get the nose spray.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
Getting one Tuesday. I never got one in my adult life (my flu symptoms were always mild), but after the flu I got last year left me in bed for 2 weeks and ate up half my yearly vacation time in January, I never want to go through that again.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Not yet. Been planning all week to but have been too busy.
Hopefully tomorrow I'll get it.

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017

There's also likely to be a flu vaccine shortage this year. There was a delay in getting the vaccines in the first place from the state here in Massachusetts. Took us 3 weeks or so longer than last year

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
They're circulating the little group of nurses around in a couple of weeks so I'll get mine at that point.

The most irritating part is that pharmacies are not allowed to give kids under 5 the shot - so while two of my daughters can have it done in minutes, our 4-year-old has to be booked an appointment at a public health nurse, which is a pain in the ass process.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
What are some good resources to look up where to get one in your city? I'm low on money right now with other medical expenses and would hopefully like to get something that doesn't cost too much.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I checked last week and they weren't doing them yet in my area. Perhaps they are now.

I've gotten one for the past 3 or 4 years becuase I always get pretty sick in December and this has seemingly helped with that, so there's really nothing to lose.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Getting mine on Tuesday. Looking forward to a weak arm for a few days. Had the flu once years ago and it just about destroyed me despite being an otherwise healthy individual. Never again.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
I just thought of it as a virus/sickness. It seems so innocuous. It feels weird to put it at the same level as cancer or something that is incurable. It goes away in a week.
Sickness is caused by disease I don't know how you never learned that. It's easily treatable but due to the nature of viruses it's not really possible to kill something that isn't alive.