• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Flu shot 2019?

• I got mine!

Votes: 199 37.6%
  • I have not received mine yet, but I plan to!

Votes: 215 40.6%
  • I haven’t received mine and don’t plan to out of general irresponsibility.

Votes: 105 19.8%
  • I am an anti-vaxxer and am fundamentally misinformed.

Votes: 10 1.9%

• Total voters

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Kids are getting theirs tomorrow (they don't know this yet lol, they're not going to be happy). Wife and I will just drop in at Target or Walgreens some time.

My daughter got the flu early this year, but none of the rest of us in the house did. I attribute that to us all getting the shot - and her case was super mild. In bed for a day and a half then more or less better. Couldn't stomach Tamiflu either.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
I need an option for not getting one but being responsible.

jhHu7uB.jpg

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
These are the UK recommendations from the NHS:

You should have the flu vaccine if you:

• are 65 years old or over
  • are pregnant
  • have certain medical conditions
  • are living in a long-stay residential care home or another long-stay care facility
  • receive a carer's allowance, or you're the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I stopped getting it when I left school.

Coincidence or not, but I haven't gotten the flu in just about as long.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe in flu shots!

well kinda... ive gotten sick for like a week every time ive gotten one so I dont get them anymore. Everyone else should though.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How would that be responsible?

From the Dutch goverment:

De griepprik is voor mensen van 60 jaar en ouder en volwassenen en kinderen met bepaalde medische aandoeningen.

Translation.

The flushot is for people over 60 years old, and adults and children with certain medical conditions.

So yeah, an option like that would be nice.

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Because not everyone lives in the US where apparently you are recommended to get it. I'm not elderly, a young child or ill so am not recommended to have one.

• are pregnant
  • are living in a long-stay residential care home or another long-stay care facility
  • receive a carer's allowance, or you're the main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you fall ill
I don't see where this is supposed to come off as responsible?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
so what do european doctors kick you out if you schedule getting a flu shot and don't fall into those categories?

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't see where this is supposed to come off as responsible?

It's not. Me saying responsible wasnt because I don't get a flu jab, it was just litterally the opposite of your other option. I see where some of the confusion may have come from. I just meant there needed to be an option where you weren't in the wrong for not getting one.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not. Me saying responsible wasnt because I don't get a flu jab, it was just litterally the opposite of your other option. I see where some of the confusion may have come from. I just meant there needed to be an option where you weren't in the wrong for not getting one.

have you tried to get one and have been denied due to not one of those listed people?

Nope. As far as I know you can still get one, you just arent on the recommended list.

uh...ok...so i'm not seeing what the problem here is?

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I work at a jail. They give the inmates first refusal on them, then usually offer them up for free to staff, even IT staff like myself. I'm waiting until that first refusal period is over.

Healthy people should get flu shots, because there are people that cannot receive them who are at risk. Herd immunity is a real thing. Also, not getting the flu is preferable to getting it. I haven't needed to call in sick for going on a decade now, and I'm sure getting a flu shot is part of that.

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019

• are pregnant
Government-condoned irresponsibility is still irresponsibility.

From the Wikipedia article on herd immunity:

330px-Herd_immunity.svg.png

Herd immunity is the goal of flu shots. It's about the rest of us not getting sick for the benefit of vulnerable people who can't get a shot.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
There is no real problem. My original post was litterally that I needed another poll option and there was some confusion I guess that I was claiming I was reponsible because I didn't get one.

i read your post as "i want to be responsible and get one but am unable to because i don't fall into x, y, z category" but since you apparently can get one, which is the responsible thing to do, i'm not sure what this other option you want is?

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they are out and freely available at all the Shopper's Drugmarts in Toronto yet.. but when they are...!

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Nice to see that apparently the US medical system is correct in their opinions and every other country with a differing opinion on who needs them is wrong and irresponsible.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I got mine yesterday at work. Having a bit of a reaction to it, my upper armor is swollen and hard, and I was sick to my stomach. Oh well.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
was reading the flu season started early this year and that it takes 10 days to 2 weeks for it to be come effective

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Not an anti-vaxxer and not even afraid of getting shots, just no habit of getting it done from any point in my life. I just irresponsibly don't think about it at all, and don't participate.

Not necessarily proud of that but not super ashamed of it, either. Haven't been sick above a common cold in just under a decade. I take various other precautions when it comes to my immune health.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Havent got one in uhh 12 years. Havent gotten sick in 9

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
No.

Last time I got one (maybe 7 years ago) I got the flu anyway. Haven't gotten the shit since and have been fine.

Oct 27, 2017
If you don't get the flu shot just accept that you're irresponsible lol. No one here is gonna hunt you down but you sure don't deserve a pat on the back for not doing it.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason *not* to get one. If you're not, you're just being irresponsible.