• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Flu shot 2019?

• I got mine!

Votes: 199 37.6%
  • I have not received mine yet, but I plan to!

Votes: 215 40.6%
  • I haven’t received mine and don’t plan to out of general irresponsibility.

Votes: 105 19.8%
  • I am an anti-vaxxer and am fundamentally misinformed.

Votes: 10 1.9%

• Total voters

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Funny thing is, I got the robo call from Kaiser reminding me with every intention to get it done by the end of the month. Then just a couple days I got a really bad fever of 102. I have to talk to my doctor too, my sister is on some immunity lowering meds, so I have to make sure I do everything right.

Otherwise, I still have every intention on doing so.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
I just thought of it as a virus/sickness. It seems so innocuous. It feels weird to put it at the same level as cancer or something that is incurable. It goes away in a week.
Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary said:
disease:
an impairment of the normal state of the living animal or plant body or one of its parts that interrupts or modifies the performance of the vital functions, is typically manifested by distinguishing signs and symptoms, and is a response to environmental factors (as malnutrition, industrial hazards, or climate), to specific infective agents (as worms, bacteria, or viruses), to inherent defects of the organism (as genetic anomalies), or to combinations of these factors

I have provided the above definition in the hopes that it will disabuse you of any mistaken notions you have about this particular word.

Never have and never will.
Care to share your reasoning with the class, or can we all just assume the worst?

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
I just thought of it as a virus/sickness. It seems so innocuous. It feels weird to put it at the same level as cancer or something that is incurable. It goes away in a week.
Think of Everyone you are in contact with in a two day Span. They get sick and spread it to immunocompromised people such as children and the elderly that can't fight the infection

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. And I got a little sick afterwards.

I guess the mind controlling chemicals still need work, lol.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
I didn't get it and don't plan to, but I'm neither misinformed nor unresponsible. In Germany it's not common to get a flu shot, except elderly and children.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you don't care about being a vector for passing it to others? If you are subclinical, it's all good?

No one my age gets a flu shot here. It's not recommended. I don't even know anyone who gets it. Of course old people, children etc. get them but usually not young and healthy adults.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Why anyone with free access to a flu vaccine would forego is beyond me. Are y'all just afraid of needles or something? You're being irresponsible.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I ended up getting mine towards the end of September this year as part of my physical. A bit earlier than I would like.

Kodoku

Sep 20, 2019
Eventually going to get one. Gotten one every year. It's mandatory for us to get it; I work for a hospital. Currently waiting for when they come over to our satellite site. Everyone in my family gets it, but then we all work in various roles in Healthcare.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
Never taken the flu vaccine (though have all other general vaccines, and would get any new ones that are needed). However, in terms of flu, I just ensure I get my vitamins, exercise and have a good diet - and if I ever feel the flu coming on, I take some pre-emptive meds (echinacea & paracetamol); havent had the flu in years.

Just as a point of comparison, my wife has been taking the flu vaccine for years (she's a teacher and I believe it's mandatory in UK), but she always comes down with the flu regardless of it. lol

bulletbill10

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I got mine at work, like every year. I had a pretty bad reaction this year, and missed work the next day with a fever, headache, and sore bones. I think I might have to talk about my doctor about if there is a better option. I wouldn't stop getting it, because I work with a lot of older folks or otherwise health compromised people, but I wind up missing work the next day about half the time I get mine.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I always hear its better to get it late november so you're covered for the worst flu month February.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It is a disease though. I don't understand where you're not understanding? The common cold and the flu are two different things by the way.
I get it -- it isn't a question of understanding. But if we're really being technical and calling every sickness a disease, then the cold is also a disease too and it kind of diminishes the gravitas/heft of the word "disease." Most people think of "the flu virus." I honestly had never heard the flu referred to as a disease before today. "Flu virus" has 1.8m google results vs 69,500 for "flu disease." It's a little disingenuous.

For what it's worth, the CDC never refers to the flu as a disease on their site about it. They use illness and talk about the influenza virus. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/keyfacts.htm

Deleted member 4208

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I got mine a few weeks ago. I got mine earlier than usual after some students at my school started coming down with it. I know it takes a while for it to kick in but I figured there was no sense waiting, either.

Plus Publix is giving $10 gift cards if you get it there. That's a full chicken tender sub and a side, right there!

If you don't get it, you risk catching it and spreading it to others.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Here is not recommended for everyone, I have every vaccine of the normal schedule but never got flu vaccines, and rarely got flu also. It's on the OMS (WHO) website:
Protection for those most at risk
WHO recommends that health care workers and people who are most at risk of developing serious complications from influenza infection be vaccinated every year before the season begins. Priority groups for vaccination include:

• pregnant women
  • individuals >6 months with certain chronic diseases
  • elderly persons
  • residents of institutions for older persons and the disabled
  • children aged 6–59 months
  • health care workers.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I plan to. I recently got over a cold and they say it is best to be at 100% health before you get it. So probably in the next week or so I will.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Dying from the flu is pretty unlikely.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates there were a record-high 79,400 flu deaths in the United States in the 2017-2018 season.

However, it's difficult to accurately track how many cases of the flu each year lead to death from complications. States aren't required to report flu diagnoses in adults to the CDC, so it's likely that adult deaths associated with flu go under-reported.
But flu can progress into conditions like pneumonia, or worsen other chronic issues like chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and congestive heart failure, which can quickly become life-threatening.

Flu can directly lead to death when the virus triggers severe inflammation in the lungs. When this happens, it can cause rapid respiratory failure because your lungs can't transport enough oxygen into the rest of your body.

The flu can also cause your brain, heart, or muscles to become inflamed. This can lead to sepsis, an emergency condition that can be fatal if not immediately treated.

If you develop a secondary infection while you have the flu, that can also cause your organs to fail. The bacteria from that infection can get into your bloodstream and cause sepsis, as well.

trappedinsap

Jul 26, 2019
I'm seeing a lot of fundamental misunderstanding of how a flu shot works in this thread.

It's just a guess based on which flu strains are most likely for the season, a complete guessing game. Just because you get a shot doesn't mean you're not going to get some strain of the flu.

I've never had a flu shot, but now I am at times around a child with a compromised immune system, so I'm open to the idea this year. As others have said, it's not just about you, even if the vaccine is all based on guesswork.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
I get it -- it isn't a question of understanding. But if we're really being technical and calling every sickness a disease, then the cold is also a disease too and it kind of diminishes the gravitas/heft of the word "disease." Most people think of "the flu virus." I honestly had never heard the flu referred to as a disease before today. "Flu virus" has 1.8m google results vs 69,500 for "flu disease." It's a little disingenuous.

For what it's worth, the CDC never refers to the flu as a disease on their site about it. They use illness and talk about the influenza virus. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/keyfacts.htm
You're just arguing semantics at this point. I don't see how calling the flu or a cold a disease somehow makes the word disease less of a word. The flu and cold are by definition a disease, how does that make the word less of a word? I don't know how you've never heard of it called a disease but it is