• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
14525451611653505140Sa_sonic_08.svg.hi.png

I have no real opinion on this so it'll be interesting to see what other people think. I also wanna preface that I don't hate Modern Sonic. There are parts of his design that I dislike, but overall he's probably not the worst thing to happen to the franchise ever. Also, the first Sonic game I ever played was Sonic Advance, which used the modern designs, so make of that what you will.

I feel like there are a lot of people that very strongly dislike the modern Sonic designs and consider them to be ugly/unnecessary re-designs that never needed to happen in the first place. Inspired by late-90's urban street art, these designs may be showing their age a little.

In this Retro Gamer interview with Takashi Iizuka and Kazuyuki Hoshino, Hoshino goes into the reasoning as to why these re-designs happened in the first place. During the late 90's Space-Invaders and Pac-Man T-shirts were becoming popular among indie and urban street fashion. Hoshino states "It made us jealous and we wanted Sonic to become popular with this edge of subculture, or at least have some cool T-Shirts with Sonic on them" and thus the radically new graphic style was born.

This is funny to me though because Pac-Man & Space Invaders didn't need a major re-design to become popular with this subculture, they were popular because they had significant nostalgia appeal at that point of the 90's. It's also funny because Sonic did eventually get cool T-shirts and apparel and guess what? They mainly feature the classic graphic style:
1_3488810c-54fe-4902-9d7b-f8d68f80ed07.jpg

4_88f26255-65c5-4f68-8e32-e8a2e4e83c1c.jpg
A lot of people also consider modern style to be a misunderstanding of what made Sonic's design work in the first place -
sonic03_32.png

Sonic's design is a blend of cutesy soft roundness that intentionally juxtaposes his sharp edges. His eyes are a nice understated brown. His muzzle, stomach and arms are a nice tan olive complexion which is pretty easy on the eyes. It's pretty great.

But with Modern, that cutesy soft roundness was thrown out in favour of pure edge:
DLYMOeFVYAAa5U8.jpg
I like modern but I cannot deny that classic is 1000x inherently more appealing.

Even the classic designs that are a little in between modern & classic manage to keep the cutesy kind of look:
Adventure-Sonic-concept-art.png
Lately I feel like we've been seeing Modern Sonic slowly morph into classic:
sonic_2__by_lukevei_da_hedgehog-d9rrs7e.png

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I appreciate what they're doing, but backwards engineering modern to look more like classic kind of feels awkward to look at. I'm also not a big fan of how classic Sonic looks in newer games because I feel like his cuteness is basically being exaggerated at the cost of his edginess. Classic has also become lighter blue which is weird but whatevs I guess.

If modern Sonic were part of a side spinoff series, like a MegaMan X sort of thing, I really don't people would care all that much. I think that may be the approach SEGA are taking, with modern and classic now basically being from two different dimensions.

Like I said, I like modern Sonic but I also just... wouldn't even mind if modern was phased out altogether... :/

Do other people feel like the modern Sonic design has outlived its purpose, or do you think it's still good enough to stick around?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's atrocious. I thought it was cool back when I was 11 or whatever, but it seems grotesque now. Like, compared to Mario, Megaman and Pacman in Smash, he's the odd one out. Floppy, gangly, impotent. The classic look is straight up better. Vintage designs are endearing (and Classic has a leg up on him there, to speak nothing of Modern Sonic's spaghetti legs) but Modern Sonic is less Y2K aesthetic and more tribal tattoos on GBAs and Pepsi Blue, JNCO jeans, wallet chains, and flames on polyester t-shirts.

As for classic Sonic, I like how he's much more aloof in some art, but I don't really care for how much they're playing up the cutesy Mickey Mouse shtick.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I am old enough to have been a starry eyed child during both the original and Dreamcast eras, and even as a kid Modern appealed to me more. Soooo.... the opposite for me. I'm tired of Classic Sonic visually. I think he looks worse like that. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't much care for Tyson Hesse's way of drawing Sonic either.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I've never really enjoyed the modern Sonic design - granted, I'm not a big Sonic fan in general - the only time I really was okay with it was in Sonic Pocket Adventure and even then its so close to classic Sonic art that I'm not really sure it counts despite clearly being influenced by the Dreamcast art.
2198777-tumblr_lmqyq5sado1qdtw9eo1_500.png

220px-Sonicpocketcover.png

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Eh, it was more or less seeing the classic aesthetic realized with modern technology in Sonic Generations that kinda made me double back. I wouldn't say I grew tired or sick of the modern aesthetic, but seeing them just try the classic one in 3D render instantly won my preference for it.

Jun 12, 2018
Nah, classic sonic was always a lil too chubby for my taste.

Modern sonic actually looks cool and looks like he can actually be as fast as he is advertised to be.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
Yes. It was fun in Adventure 2 and Shadow the Hedgehog when the cheese was genuine. But now it's become self aware, which was kind humorous at first but stopped being so a long time ago. It's at the point where it either needs to go fully back to being classic, go in a different direction, or find someone completely unaware of the last 20 years of fandom who will write a serious story about Sonic the Hedgehog so we can all laugh at it.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Pretty much every Modern Sonic game has a different aesthetic, so no. I'd rather have them finally settle down on the Adventure style of visuals / music.

Nov 17, 2017
No, I love modern Sonic. None of the images you posted are actual good representations of what modern Sonic looks like, OP. The illustrations you posted are more representative of the Adventure era of Sonic. I think the look he's had since Unleashed (I know it varies slightly from game to game but it's been fairly consistent) is the best the character has ever looked.

I don't think Classic Sonic works outside of sprite based games and actual hand drawn stuff. In 3D, he just looks short and fat and just awkward.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes i have been tired of it since Sonic Adventure. I don't think there is a single design for any character that i like more than it's classic counterpart

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Since I started with Sonic 1, I'm obviously bias to the classic look and do genuinely think it looks far better. With that said, I don't dislike the modern design, and feel that the general distaste for it has to do with the quality of games he's in over anything else.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
The classic look is the only one with charm. Other styles are from meh to horrible.

DarkShame3

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 26, 2019
This is funny to me though because Pac-Man & Space Invaders didn't need a major re-design to become popular with this subculture, they were popular because they had significant nostalgia appeal at that point of the 90's.

I agree. It's like they totally missed the point and didn't understand the very target market they were trying so hard to reach, thus the redesign took them further away from their goals.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it for a hot minute because I was really into SA1 but by SA2 I wasn't feeling it anymore. Nothing since has really changed my opinion.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
No, I love modern Sonic. None of the images you posted are actual good representations of what modern Sonic looks like, OP. The illustrations you posted are more representative of the Adventure era of Sonic. I think the look he's had since Unleashed (I know it varies slightly from game to game but it's been fairly consistent) is the best the character has ever looked.

I don't think Classic Sonic works outside of sprite based games and actual hand drawn stuff. In 3D, he just looks short and fat and just awkward.
Christ I hate this design. Every time I see his face all I can think is:

"Huh, nothing personnel, kid."

Nov 1, 2017
Modern Sonic has changed a lot. I think he looks fine now. Classic Sonic just doesn't look as good in 3D (doesn't help that he's oddly mute).

InspectaDekka

Banned
Jan 4, 2019
Sonic CD had the best version of Sonic in my opinion. It's the classic style but with that anime edge without Sega actually trying to make Sonic cool in this dorky, awful way:
zwdhrp.jpg

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Modern Sonic looks fine now, especially from Unleashed onwards. I don't really see the problem.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Modern isn't a bad design, but Classic Sonic is forever and at least as good a look as Mario, maybe even moreso. You can drop Classic Sonic into any scenario, any adventure, and he'll naturally fit.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly Modern Sonic ain't bad, and I found Classic CG design from Gens a little weird.

This though, is still the best Sonic design:
DAF79103A052D0BFBD493149F8437D8A9445559B

Christ I hate this design. Every time I see his face all I can think is:

"Huh, nothing personnel, kid."

They just need to make art from him looking just play happy, without the edge, like:

fdaa58b5ab3fc3c72a8ad8d39a3687cd.jpg

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
The original Sonic design is spectacular, easily one of the best in the industry.

Rich, vivid colours, housed in a frame which combines round shapes and hard lines... it seriously is absolutely fantastic.

When you compare his actual design to the likes of Mario, Crash and Spyro he mops the floor with them.

Post-Adventure Sonic is still good, but the proportions don't hit the sweet spot for me.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Yes, everything since COLORS has been garbage (but that one had pretty visuals and a great soundtrack) Generations was just bland but a good remake, Sonic BOOM sucks.
At this point i don't even consider the Adventure games as 'modern' Sonic but 2006 and Shadow had huge problems too.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
The move to 3D was jarring enough but the design, attitude and music changes were just too much and my favourite character gradually became insufferable to me :(

Nov 17, 2017
That's just how they chose to make him.

Fans have already done marginally better.

I still feel the same way about that model. Doesn't help that the animation loop is just mimicking things he does in 2D. When you see Classic Sonic actually operate in 3D, it just doesn't work. He can't do the same things Modern Sonic does without it looking awkward.

Yes, everything since COLORS has been garbage (but that one had pretty visuals and a great soundtrack) Generations was just bland but a good remake, Sonic BOOM sucks.
At this point i don't even consider the Adventure games as 'modern' Sonic but 2006 and Shadow had huge problems too.
I think you might be confused about what the thread is about. It's about the design of the character. Generations is a "remake?"

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Classic sonic is only good for nostalgia. I cringe whenever I see him in games outside of Mania for obvious reasons.

What's really ticked me off is how light the blue for sonic is nowadays. I prefer the darker one. And give me red not pink knuckles

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017

This post sums it up well.

While the world has become increasingly simplistic like the classic games, I don't think the original model proportions can translate perfectly into 3D.

The Modern Sonic design has been perfected to suit the 3D world. Especially from Sonic Unleashed to Forces.

The main thing which needs fixed is the gameplay (and secondly the storytelling. It's so bad for all the wrong reasons)

Jun 12, 2018
Huh, I'm kinda surprised at how many people like fat sonic in this thread. Is it a simply a nostalgia thing? When I think speed, modern sonic is always the first thing that comes to my mind. Do people simply just prefer the cuteness and roundness of classic sonic, even though it doesn't fit the speed identity of the character as well?

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I still feel the same way about that model. Doesn't help that the animation loop is just mimicking things he does in 2D. When you see Classic Sonic actually operate in 3D, it just doesn't work. He can't do the same things Modern Sonic does without it looking awkward.

I have and it's amazing.

sonic-utopia-gameplay-laser-time.gif

tumblr_ogccbbzMbm1si4jeeo4_500.gif

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, Mario has a different design entirely from Sonic.

Not necessarily. Sonic was designed for a specific point in time unlike Mario who is genuinely timeless, but Classic Sonic aged like wine because he runs a fine line between cute, cuddly, silly, cool and edgy. Classic Sonic can do anything from being a snarky mascot with attitude to running a furry drama comic for 70-odd issues to pantomiming his way through Sonic Generations because he's so adaptable a character design you can do literally anything with him.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There has never been a "cooler" iteration of Sonic than the Toei/Tyson Hesse iterations seen in Sonic CD/Sonic Mania. Sonic Team's own recent attempts at classic Sonic are far more cutesy than the character ever was pre-Adventure, and Modern Sonic is just a mess of poor proportions.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017

I think you might be confused about what the thread is about. It's about the design of the character. Generations is a "remake?"
Ohhh its just about the design of Sonic? I thought it mean the writting, visuals , characters ,gameplay etc.

modern Sonic is ok in fact i prefer modern Tails and Knuckles to their old designs the look sleeker but still cartoonish animals, thats the least of the problems, modern Eggman looks fine too if he is not 2006
df311dcdd9f38a7db757a5ef341d5422.png

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I prefer Modern Sonic's design.

I just wish his games would stop sucking.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
The last time Sega tried to redesign Sonic we got Sonic Boom design...so no.

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
Is it fair to say modern sonic is the culprit of people getting into the furry scene?
Modern Sonic looks like what Sonic would like like if people tried to market him to edgy teens.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I hated extreme sonic when it was introduced around ... Sonic Adventure 1, or whenever it was. Just thought it was everything wrong with the "1990s XTREME" aesthetic applied to everything. I came to just accept it, that Sonic wasn't for my demographic anymore. I loved original Sonic 1-3 sonic, and the old Sonic cartoons / comics / books when I was a younger kid, and when XTREME SONIC came out in ~99 or 2000, or whenver, I was 17 or 18 and I figured the design would have appealed to a kid in 1999 or 2000, not to an adult in 2000.

What made Sonic appeal to me as an ... 8 year old was that he had attitude and was an edgy alternative to Mario, who I grew up with as a young kid, but by the time I was ... 8, 10 or 11, I wanted a hipper character, something that would fit in with Ren and Stimpy, instead of Mickey Mouse. Sonic seemed to deliver that for me. And, when Sonic transitioned into 'xtreme' sonic or Adventure sonic, I think they lost the wry attitude of what made Sonic appealing, and replaced it with him just doing ridiculous poses. Sonic aggravated, tapping his foot, is the perfect level of attitude, a gaze through the 4th wall at the player. Sonic doing these ridiculous poses where I have no idea what he's supposed to be doing is supposed to convey attitude, but it just conveys this frenetic nonsense that doesn't feel at all human to me, so it doesn't resonate with me.

BUt, I Still come back to the idea... when I was 8 or 10, Sonic was very appealing to me because I was 8 or 10, and it's exactly what I wanted. Xtreme Sonic, or New Sonic, or whatever, didn't appeal to me when I was 16 or 18 because it wasn't supposed to appeal to a 16 or 18 year old, he was supposed to appeal to an 8 or 10 year old of 2000.

Last edited:

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
I don't care really. I think the designs are pretty neat for both. They purposed their designs in-lore as well so we're able to get the best of both worlds.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Since I started with Sonic 1, I'm obviously bias to the classic look and do genuinely think it looks far better. With that said, I don't dislike the modern design, and feel that the general distaste for it has to do with the quality of games he's in over anything else.
I started with Sonic 2 but I think the Adventure design is much better.

Nov 17, 2017
I have and it's amazing.

sonic-utopia-gameplay-laser-time.gif

tumblr_ogccbbzMbm1si4jeeo4_500.gif
I guess we just have vastly different opinion on this because I think Sonic looks so weird in those gifs. The super peelout just doesn't look right in 3D.

And that's just in terms of gameplay, cutscenes also have this problem of Classic Sonic just looking weird in 3D.

Not necessarily. Sonic was designed for a specific point in time unlike Mario who is genuinely timeless, but Classic Sonic aged like wine because he runs a fine line between cute, cuddly, silly, cool and edgy. Classic Sonic can do anything from being a snarky mascot with attitude to running a furry drama comic for 70-odd issues to pantomiming his way through Sonic Generations because he's so adaptable a character design you can do literally anything with him.
No, I'm saying Mario is literally a different design than Classic Sonic. One is an Italian plumber with a mustache and overalls. The other is a blue hedgehog with sneakers that doesn't really look like a hedgehog. I just think it's silly to respond to "Classic Sonic looks weird in 3D" with "Well Mario looks fine in 3D." They're different designs.

Also it's not as if Mario's design has remained the same over the years.
images
ajq6yUI0CwPsclt4NQeSlVSlsq7HEScS.png