• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Have you or anyone you know had an OLED screen experience burn-in?

• Yes, and the image retention was permanent

Votes: 242 27.7%
  • Yes, but it went away over time

Votes: 28 3.2%
  • Nope, don't know anyone that's experienced it

Votes: 514 58.7%
  • It's a big overblown issue that's very, very rare

Votes: 144 16.5%
  • Other

Votes: 20 2.3%

• Total voters

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Just got the latest LG 55" C1 from Amazon which I'll be using mostly for my Series X. I've got some other systems that I'll use on occasion as well like the Switch and Wii U. Using an Apple TV as well.

I bought the Asurion warranty for 4 years but just realized that burn-in isn't covered by them, since it's not covered by LG. Apparently Best Buy's warranty is the only one that does here in the US?

Briefly read some info on RTINGS that basically said they had TVs on for thousands of hours with some static images with pretty minimal issues.

So how many here have actually heard of it happening first-hand or from someone they know?

Secondary Question:

Do you think a 4-year warranty at 10% of the price of the TV is worth a purchase, as I did? On the fence on whether it's really worth it or not.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I had the Netflix logo burnt in on my 2016 LG OLED panel. It was only noticeable on a red/yellow background though.

Aunaste

One Winged Slayer
Dec 16, 2018
I have severe permanent burn in on my LG OLED E7. Fortunately I believe the new LG OLED models all come with 4-5 year straight from LG at no additional cost. If not, you made the correct decision to purchase one.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Have some burn in on my C7. Some hud elements from CTR are burned on there. Can only see it on reddish and orange backgrounds.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I have severe permanent burn in on my LG OLED E7. Fortunately I believe the new LG OLED models all come with 4-5 year straight from LG at no additional cost. If not, you made the correct decision to purchase one.
Yeah apparently the more expensive models do. This just had the standard 1-year.

Mrflood

Oct 25, 2017
Burn in on sets 2017+ sets is much harder to achieve. I had a B7 and now a C1 and have never had issues and don't baby the set at all.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yes, happened to me with my LG oled C6.

Bought it in 2017. Was all fine until towards the end of next year. WIth covid, I was at home a lot more and watching things on TV like news channels more often and every day, and I got into Fortnite and logging in each day to complete the quests/challenges.

Because of all that I have permanent station logos and 'live' text that were yellow/orange in colour and the green fortnite health bar stuck there seemingly permanently.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Do you think a 4-year warranty at 10% of the price of the TV is worth a purchase, as I did? On the fence on whether it's really worth it or not.

There's no way I wouldn't buy the warranty. I'm considering a C1. If I do get one, I'm going to Best Buy to get the warranty to cover burn in. I'm worried about burn in on those sets. Especially if I play something like Final Fantasy XIV for a long time. Getting the warranty would give me a little more peace of mind.

Because of all that I have permanent station logos and 'live' text that were yellow/orange in colour and the green fortnite health bar stuck there seemingly permanently.

Network logos are one of the things I worry about the most. It's not unusual for me to leave my TV on one channel for five or six hours at a time. I had it on BBC America all day today watching Star Trek. I'm worried about logos and game UIs burning in.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Newer panels are seemingly fine, but my B7 suffered with burn-in when it was initially my dads TV. From what I can gather burn-in was typically an issue with panels prior to 2018.

Time will tell if the newer panels have the same issues, but LG have altered both the panel pixels and the software to try and combat it (additional software that can detect static imagery, and also any panel from 2018 will have bigger red sub pixels).

My B7 was fixed shortly after I inherited it from my dad and so far so good (it thankfully has a newer panel in it).

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Had burn in on my LG Oled B7 (I believe that was the model). Used it for gaming, movies and as a PC monitor. Despite running the screen refresher every month, watching a variety of content and never leaving anything on pause (always turned the screen off) I suffered burn in of any yellow elements I had on my PC browser. Particularly the little yellow bookmark folders, and the yellow parts of a Yahtzee avatar I used on YouTube. They showed up as a green tint on the screen, and were very noticeable. To be fair to LG, customer service was great as they sent someone out to evaluate the screen, considered it a write off, and gave me a full refund of the purchase price despite using it for 11 months.

I honestly thought I'd had enough variety of content to never have elements static onscreen for too long, but I guess I was wrong, or it was a cumulative thing due to the contrasty nature of the yellow colour and others around it.
Real shame, because it was by far the best TV I've ever owned until the burn in became apparent. Fantastic picture, bright and even looking light (none of the banding or cloudiness/dirty screen effect you can get with standard LCD TV's and their cheap-ass backlights/edge lights)...just excellent. Alas, I can never buy one again because I simply can't be arsed having to babysit a screen to make sure that nothing stays onscreen too long or too often, it's just too fragile. Such a shame. JUst waiting for that magical TV with most of the advantages, and no chance of burn in or retention.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So how many here have actually heard of it happening first-hand or from someone they know?

You will never see an OLED screen that isn't susceptible to some level of burn-in.

Newer sets are more resilient, but can still suffer from it.

If you don't want to worry about burn-in, settle for a QLED.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Yeah. Had some burn in and vertical banding in the middle of the screen. No specific logo or hud element. I had a 2017 B7,

LG did a courtesy replacement to a BX screen, took 20 minutes and was done in my room, 3 weeks of schedule/waiting. Looks amazing. The tvs have many safety features. Moving Hud, pixel shift, exploding dot screensaver if you leave it on paused for a few minutes, pixel refresh that happens automatically every 4 hours. They have improved the red pixels as well in the recent years.

Enjoy your tv.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Status bars on phones? Kinda. Mainly just aging due to Android having black status bars, so the status bar that looks burned in is actually less worn pixels than the rest of the screen.

Temporary on an LG E6. Just temporary going to gray screens mainly, but I was told that was normal. It's my parents TV and they leave it on static stuff for hours sone times, and other times don't use it for days. Seems fine otherwise.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm really interested in seeing how the Switch OLED's screen holds up with long, UI heavy games, like Xenoblade 2.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Literally don't know anybody who has had OLED burn-in, especially with modern panels that account for that.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I think burn in issues has been less prominent in the later models. No need to be too worried about it but you have to at least be aware of what causes it and avoid that.

I can still be a bit worried for some games where the UI is just screaming I will be a permanent mark on your expensive screen. But its not as bad for modern games from what I observed.

But if you are worried about it then go for the warranty.

I have a B8 and I have no signs of any problems (except for a pixel that can get stuck on a specific color if I leave high OLED brightness for too long. Though I haven't had that problem for almost a year now when I was encountering it almost on a weekly basis when I first got the TV. I only have to run the pixel refresher to fix it.)

Oct 25, 2017
not me personally, have 2 C9s that i use daily for like 10 hours+ (work, gaming) and have zero burn in (checked the full colour screen of R G and B and zero burn in)

Friend has a c7 though with some nasty burn in

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I have a Tetris 99 board permanently printed on my old B6.

Yet I bought a C1 for the basement last week because OLED is just that good.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
I get a weird shadowy type temp burn-in now if allow the televisions screen saver to kick in and stay on. It took me a while to figure out what was causing it but yep sure enough it's the tvs own screensaver. If I let the Apple TV screensaver turn on I have no problems. LG B7 I have had for a few years now.

I can get rid of it by running the screen wipe thing though.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
after the 2020 hellscape our 2017 oled has the red channel scarred with bits of news channel logo
it's started to fade, at one point you could read BREAKING NEWS, not so much now
it was fine until covid changed our viewing patterns

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Had my C9 over a year now and played a LOT of games on it. Have not had img burn in. LG TV's have really great preventative measures to prevent burn in on top of that. From my research it's REALLY REALLY HARD TO DO. Unless you watch news channels with the tickers/bugs going 24/7 or play literally the same game with minial changes in video and literally nothing else. I think you'll be fine.

Personally I always go for the warranty for big substantial purchases such as tvs so I think it's worth it. I got the best buy protection that covers burn in JUST IN CASE.

Jul 26, 2018
I have a LG CX since last September. Been using it for heavy 4K gaming and it's been on for at least nearly 7 hours daily. Still no burn in to this day.

I even disable windows taskbar, and change my wallpapers weekly. Hecc now I start streaming or not using it, i turn it off. Sometimes it does pixel refresh itself during the day and mostly all the time before going to bed.

I also ordered from my local Best Buy. I don't think i'll ever order a OLED TV from another retailer unless it covers burn ins. 4 year warranty weeeeeeeeeee

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
It's both avoidable and inevitable. My B6 somehow doesn't have any burn-in yet (verified with full-screen color tests) but it does have weird panel inconsistencies. There's a column that takes about 5% of the screen about a quarter of the way in from the left side that is always about 1% lighter than the rest of the screen. It's only noticeable in full-screen or really flat color situations, but I have no idea what caused it. Showed up about a year into owning the TV. Hasn't gotten any worse, just there.

melloon

Jan 17, 2021
My phone (S9+) has permanent burn-in from Discord... I can always see the circles where the avis would be

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
No, but the only people I know with OLED screens are my parents with an LG C8 and a few friends/family members with smart phones that may or may not have OLED screens.

Only burn in I've seen though was with my Samsung Quantum Dot monitor

Craig Majaski

Nov 1, 2017
My LG OLED from 2016 had logos burned in from CNN and MSNBC - and that's probably from watching those stations a couple hours a day. Played lots of games and other media with no burn in from those. I could notice them on solid color backgrounds and it annoyed me enough to get the CX last year.

The new sets have better technology in them to avoid logo burn in but even so I'm careful to limit my time watching the two aforementioned stations. So far nothing has burned it. Let's hope it stays that way.

Be sure to turn on Screen Shift and put Logo Luminance Adjustment to High if you have LG OLED - found in picture settings under OLED screen saver.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I use my cx exclusively for gaming (had one since launch) ans nothing so far.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I've had my CX for almost a year now, probably using it 12+ hours a day, and I'm noticing anything. Is there any way to check for less obvious cases?

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Yes, CNN logo on a C7. Got a panel replacement. Friends of mine with E6 (Rocket League GUI) and B6 (Fire TV menu) had burn in as well.
Have yet to hear of anyone with burn in on newer sets.
Still got a G1.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Every year since like 2016 we hear "newer panels won't have X problem". Yet these threads continue to exist annually.

Truth is we won't know 2020 TV's are faring until 2023.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I got a B9 over a year ago. Biggest thing I can say is I got the platinum in P5 Royal over like 2 months and have seen zero issues with any kind of burn in.

I use it for gaming and movies/tv but only through Netflix etc rather than live network content.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Every year since like 2016 we hear "newer panels won't have X problem". Yet these threads continue to exist annually.

Truth is we won't know 2020 TV's are faring until 2023.
I think burn-in is largely inevitable to some degree in the long term, but no one in this thread has reported issues with anything from the 2018 panels. I also don't see many people elsewhere online mentioning burn-in on those sets.

I certainly remember people belittling the existence of burn-in on the 2016 and 2017 sets though.

Hopefully microLED will come about soon to take its place as the best tech. The benefits of OLED with (supposedly) none of the drawbacks.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
The poll might not really be suitable for present day purchasers. The OLEDs from the 2018 range (e.g. LG C8 and newer ones) and onwards have shown to be far less likely to develop burn-in.

So people might have experienced or know someone with a faulty LG C6 or C7 display. But that shouldn't hinder them from purchasing a CX, C1 and so on.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Lg b9 owner with no issues. Used as a PC monitor a lot of the time too.

As above said I feel as if the older models had way more trouble than the ones from the last few years.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another OLED, best TV I've owned by a mile

Zeiretto

Oct 30, 2017
I have burn-in on my phone (One Plus 7 Pro). Basically the entire top row of icons is permanently burnt in. Wi-Fi, time, 4G etc.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
I got short of 3 years from my C7 before I played Destiny 2 for a month or so and ended up with the super bar and some of the power boxes permanently burned in.

Luckily It had also developed some banding which was covered under warranty so was able to get the screen replaced. Next time I'm in the market to replace it I will either buy micro LED or I'll buy another LG OLED from a store that sells an additional warranty that does cover burn-in (though I'm led to believe the more modern sets do a little better in this regard)

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I have a CX with no burn in but IMO it is a stupid limitation to have to say 'just vary your content' so the screen doesn't get damaged. Personally I have no intention whatsoever to vary my content because I want to watch/play unvaried content like fighting games and MMOs so maybe I'll have something to share on how that goes for me in one of these threads at some point

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Ive had my LG CX for about a year now and I have no issues. I'm mindful of it but I don't really worry too much. Like if I'm on the PS5 menu which is in HDR I'll make sure not to leave it too long if I'm AFK.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
I have a CX since last year and gaming heavily on it (XSX, PS5 and Switch), plus using it as a PC monitor.. No burn in so far but I do soft babysit it, meaning I take some measures but I'm not crazy about doing it heavily. Let's see how long will it last though. Amazing TV btw and LG is great with constant firmware support, will never go back to Samsung again just because of this.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Ive had my LG CX for about a year now and I have no issues. I'm mindful of it but I don't really worry too much. Like if I'm on the PS5 menu which is in HDR I'll make sure not to leave it too long if I'm AFK.

Your TV automatically dims the brightness drastically if it detects no movement for a few minutes. No real need to worry about menus tbh.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
When you hear people with LG OLEDs having burn-in issues, it turns out that they are using the 2016/2017 models. The features added in later panels and models make burn-in almost unheard of.