• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did you know that dogs are smarter than cats?

• Yes, it is known

Votes: 408 91.1%
  • No, I was not aware until now

Votes: 40 8.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Considering dogs have twice as many neurons as cats, it's no surprise dogs are better.

The cat doesn't listen, doesn't play, doesn't do any trained behaviors, doesn't know what to do with toys, doesn't know what to do when I am holding treats, doesn't know it's name, doesn't understand leashes or walks, doesn't remember that car rides are fine, doesn't have a consistent reaction to any human contact, etc etc etc

The cat is fine. I can pet him sometimes. But half the time he's just there on some table staring at a window. Sometimes he rubs on me and I pet him until he purrs, other times he rubs on me and tries to bite and scratch. It's nonsense.

Dogs can learn all kinds of things, from security to leading the blind to seizure protections. Dogs even demonstrate animal levels of theory of mind. Unlike cats.

Some make bizarre excuses for cats like "they are just as smart but don't care, that's why they have never proven scientifically to be smart!"

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
People who hate on cats simply don't understand them.

The cat I've had for 15 years is the best companion I could ever hope for.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Jesus Christ, why do dogs lovers want their little doggos to be accepted as the "ultimate pet" ? What's with the stupid poll to ?

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
The cat doesn't listen, doesn't play, doesn't do any trained behaviors, doesn't know what to do with toys, doesn't know what to do when I am holding treats, doesn't know it's name, doesn't understand leashes or walks, doesn't remember that car rides are fine, doesn't have a consistent reaction to any human contact, etc etc etc
Sounds like a shitty owner or someone that spends no time with their pets. I have two three legged cats that do all that shit minus the leashes (though they do love walks). They are almost attached to me when I walk in the door.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
My cats appear to be about three times as intelligent as yours from your description. They're little shits but they know their names, come over when I call them, are always trying to climb onto my lap, play with me when I wiggle toys in front of them, jump at any chance of food, and know how and when to annoy me to wake up. They parkour like mad too. They also know what walks are and will lay down when I put on their harness to prevent it. So I exercise them by chasing them around my apartment making loud noises

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Cats are awesome, dogs are awesome.

I prefer cats. Far less maintenance and you have to earn their affection. Dogs for better or worse will love you unconditionally.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
People who hate on cats simply don't understand them.
I've had close friends and family with cats of all different dispositions and temperaments over the past several years. I've spent considerable time playing, grooming, feeding, and cuddling these smol creatures.

Dogs are better.

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who grew up with dogs, my wife has converted me to a cat person. Scoop poop every morning, put food and water in bowls, and all obligations are done for the day. Cats are great pets for lazy people. Dogs have more payout, but require more input.

Nov 9, 2017
The thing about cats is that they only have 1 or 2 people that they bond with and they are extremely loyal and loving to those persons but are assholes to everyone else. Dogs are awesome but also kind of blindly loyal to any human unless they have been abused or trained for security.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Cats are awesome.
Dogs are awesome.
They are very different. One may appeal to you over another. There is nothing wrong with this.
...acting like your preferences are evidence of some weird superiority? Eeehh...I'm kinda over this meme.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Elephants have three times as many neurons as humans. Neuron count alone means little.
Reading wikipedia pages about Elephants make them seem better than humans tbh
Elephants are thought to be highly altruistic animals that even aid other species, including humans, in distress. In India, an elephant was helping locals lift logs by following a truck and placing the logs in pre-dug holes upon instruction from the mahout (elephant trainer). At a certain hole, the elephant refused to lower the log. The mahout came to investigate the hold-up and noticed a dog sleeping in the hole. The elephant only lowered the log when the dog was gone.[33] When an elephant is hurt, other elephants (even if they are unrelated) aid them.[24]

Cynthia Moss has often seen elephants going out of their way to avoid hurting or killing a human, even when it was difficult for them (such as having to walk backwards to avoid a person). Joyce Poole documented an encounter told to her by Colin Francombe on Kuki Gallman's Laikipia Ranch. A ranch herder was out on his own with camels when he came across a family of elephants. The matriarch charged at him and knocked him over with her trunk, breaking one of his legs. In the evening, when he did not return, a search party was sent in a truck to find him. When the party discovered him, he was being guarded by an elephant. The animal charged the truck, so they shot over her and scared her away. The herdsman later told them that when he could not stand up, the elephant used her trunk to lift him under the shade of a tree. She guarded him for the day and would gently touch him with her trunk.[24]

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
But half the time he's just there on some table staring at a window. Sometimes he rubs on me and I pet him until he purrs, other times he rubs on me and tries to bite and scratch. It's nonsense.
Who knew animals could be in the mood for different things at different times.

What you're describing is 1. Being interested in things outside 2. Being in the mood for attention 3. Being in the mood for playing.

"No consistent reaction to human contact" lmao

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
eat shit BAD

But one of the more surprising insights from the research has nothing to do with cats, dogs or people. It's about raccoons, those "trash pandas" that have long been dismissed as vermin or vectors for the rabies virus. Within the raccoon's cat-sized brain lurks a doglike number of neurons. So many, in fact, that if you were to look only at neuron count and brain size, you might mistake the raccoon for a small primate.

"And that is saying a lot," Herculano-Houzel said. "Because something that we found previously is that there's a huge difference between how many neurons you find in a primate or in a non-primate brain of the same size."

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I've had close friends and family with cats of all different dispositions and temperaments over the past several years. I've spent considerable time playing, grooming, feeding, and cuddling these smol creatures.

Dogs are better.

I'm not talking about simple preference, that's fine to like one over the other. I mean the kind of people who are assholes about it and act like they don't understand why people like cats/talk about how they're awful pets.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh man now you've done it.

I will say this – I have lived with cats and dogs, multiple of both. I call myself a dog person, however I have met some truly entertaining cats. But cats are really just different. They are solitary, nocturnal hunters. Dogs are diurnal pack animals. Arguably domesticated 100K years ago to enable agriculture (early intruder warning system/attack platform, herding, hunting, etc). Cats do have much smaller & less sophisticated brains but whatever, that's neither here nor there in terms of pet ownership. At the end of the day, whatever brings you joy, feel good about that and don't stress the comparison, it's like comparing guinea pigs to parakeets, they're just different, they do different stuff.

that said – you can't help but notice on Reddit, when there's dog postings, it's always something amazing like a dog rescuing a skiier, calming an epileptic owner, fucking surfing, doing math, leading blind people, finding bombs... all sorts of crazy stuff... and when you see cats, it's 95% "cat just looking at camera" with a title like I LOVE THEM SO MUCH, or a cat jumping and failing to land. And I don't get the whole "cats are aloof and therefore erudite and sophisticated, you have to earn their love"... that's nonsense. They just tolerate people, that's not really a feature. Dogs will really die for you, pretty commonly.

But I defer to my first paragraph there, where it doesn't matter if I don't "get" it. Live with the animals that make you happy. Cats are definitely lower maintenance, as long as you are cool with the shitbox in your house.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
My cat plays fetch, brings me toys when he wants to play, knows his name, begs when he wants treats, walks on a leash and knows the sound of me getting the leash and will run to the door to go outside. He is by my side most of the day when I am home.

I love both cats and dogs, they are both great. I only have cats because they are much easier to care for on a daily basis.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I leave my cat alone in the house for 10 days and he's fine

I left my dog for 10 days and we got a cat

Status
Not open for further replies.