• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did you know that dogs are smarter than cats?

• Yes, it is known

Votes: 408 91.1%
  • No, I was not aware until now

Votes: 40 8.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I love cats. Sometimes I don't want them bothering me, and sometimes they don't want me bothering them. I think certain types of people are more into the personalities of cats and others more into how dogs are. I don't need the constant companion.

But at the same time, it's bizarre that your cat is that aloof. Mine often don't respond to their names, but sometimes too. They don't always play with toys I get them but they sometimes do. They love treats and recognize the sound of the bag. They love lasers and get excited when they hear that specific keychain that's attached to it. I don't take any of them outside, but I had a cat who loved getting walks outside and ran to the door as soon as he saw me get the leash.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

May 26, 2018
I honestly don't understand why people try to turn it into some kind of dumb competition. It isn't a game. These are life forms with minds of their own. There is no inherent competitive value to them. Only a cost that you must pay each day you take responsibility for their safety.

Take care of them. Treat them well. Give them a good environment. Our ancestors have spent enough time trying to domesticate their ancestors so they won't eat you. They basically have no choice but to live with us.

So, you know... do your best.

Branson

Oct 27, 2017
I love my cats and their personality and their affection and cuddles and feel offended by some of these comments wanting to kill them. It's why I have a huge disdain for the human race and would help a tortured cat over a tortured human. We deserve what we get at least.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I honestly don't understand why people try to turn it into some kind of dumb competition. It isn't a game. These are life forms with minds of their own. There is no inherent competitive value to them. Only a cost that you must pay each day you take responsibility for their safety.

Take care of them. Treat them well. Give them a good environment. Our ancestors have spent enough time trying to domesticate their ancestors so they won't eat you. They basically have no choice but to live with us.

<3

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I love my cats and their personality and their affection and cuddles and feel offended by some of these comments wanting to kill them. It's why I have a huge disdain for the human race and would help a tortured cat over a tortured human. We deserve what we get at least.
Cats being as numerous as they are is because of people letting their cats outside into the ecosystem. It's a human problem at the root. Same as dogs having breed-specific issues thanks to human meddling for generations.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

my hope in bringing up the intelligence of raccoons throughout this thread was twofold: one, in blind hope of getting people to recognize these guys for the clever bastards they are; two, in the hope that BAD would recognize that maybe absolute intelligence isn't the best metric for measuring the worth of a pet (read: a living creature), and that maybe at the end of the day his precious data he's been clinging to gives way to completely subjective, personal preference. but maybe that was foolish of me

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Cats and dogs are just for different kinds of people generally. My friends who like cats are the kind who don't have the time or just don't want the hassle of a pet that depends on you. I like dogs cause I want a pet that is kinda clingy and forces me to go out on walks. Both are good.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
By this same logic, dogs are better than my 1yo because all she does is eat, poop, sleep and make happy faces when poopy and sad faces when poopy.

My daughter isn't much different from a cat. But i'd still rather a cat than a dog. Dogs are frequently gross. Dogs can and will be vicious with jealously to a child regardless of their past temperment. They also cannot take care of their own bowel movements and will piss and shit all over everything just because.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
oh please. cat owners can be defensive as fuck, as you just pointed out.

you shouldn't feel defensive – but you should get over the fact that there are no rescue cats, seizure-defending cats, seeing-eye cats, bomb/drug-sniffing cats, security cats, etc. it's fine, we're talking about pets, but dogs are soooo much more eager to please, and so much better adapted to human domestication, its just not a fair comparison. and again this is totally besides the point of your enjoyment. but don't shit on others because dogs are impressive. they are.

it's frankly pathetic how insecure some dog owners are. and I say some because most that I meet in real life are normal people that don't make it a contest between animals.
I've had cats that play fetch and greet every human being and dogs that would kill you as soon as look at you and vice versa. if you want your cat to like you, you may want to you know, like him. or give him to a home that will care for him.

There's literally science that supports dogs as being more intelligent and capable animals. Dogs recognize more, solve more, and communicate more.

WHO. CARES. 99.9% of pets aren't being trained for search and rescue. that's not what makes a pet right for the individual person.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta go with Cats on this one. Dogs still haven't figured out that they can shit and piss inside, either in a box or a toilet.
It's pretty easy to teach a dog to use pee pads inside the house. My pup immediately acclimated to indoor pads for the first few months until we started training her to go outside. I bet you could teach a small dog to use a litter box if you really wanted.

Hey, found some articles on it: http://www.animalplanet.com/pets/train-small-dogs-to-use-a-litter-box/

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Cats poop in a liter box. There's nothing dogs do that tops that.
Trade off. Cats don't need to be taken out to potty but the poop smell can linger if not ventilated and with good litter and scooped regularly. Dogs force you to clean up immediately...assuming you're a responsible dog owner anyway

Nov 13, 2017
Trade off. Cats don't need to be taken out to potty but the poop smell can linger if not ventilated and with good litter and scooped regularly. Dogs force you to clean up immediately...assuming you're a responsible dog owner anyway
A little poop smell versus walking your dog three times a day in the dead winter. I go with cats on this one :P

Speaking of which, I forgot that dogs are stinky!

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Having lived with many animals in my life, I can only wonder why cat and dog lovers don't unite against the true enemy:

Birds as pets. Blech.

(with that said I hate cats a lot after having lived with 3 now.)

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling
Interesting that cat owners are up in here saying the comparison is insulting and bizarre. Science thinks the comparison is valuable between two of the most popular pets, but keep trying.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Or bath them (if short hair) my void is clean as fuck!

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's always dog owners making these threads because they need constant attention and affirmation, just like the pets they love so much.

Oct 25, 2017
My cat thinks it's a dog and is extremely clingy and all over me as I type this on my labtop.

Judging from this thread I must be a lucky cat owner or something.

Oct 31, 2017

Ugh ❤️

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I get it that it's supposed to be funny, but no fun allowed for me.
This kind of take is shitty as fuck. There's no competition. Dogs and cats are both wonderful companions and friends for us.
And reading your OP, I can't believe that you actually actively lived with cats.
Or you got one for a few months and assumed all cats have the same personality.
It's crazy how much each dogs and cats each have their own personality, but also how much they evolve over time.

Rant over, this kind of opinion just piss me off. Those animals are too pure and just brings me too much joy to let this kind of opinion be spread.

Dogs and cats rocks

Status
Not open for further replies.