• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Did you know that dogs are smarter than cats?

• Yes, it is known

Votes: 408 91.1%
  • No, I was not aware until now

Votes: 40 8.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
oh please. cat owners can be defensive as fuck, as you just pointed out.

you shouldn't feel defensive – but you should get over the fact that there are no rescue cats, seizure-defending cats, seeing-eye cats, bomb/drug-sniffing cats, security cats, etc. it's fine, we're talking about pets, but dogs are soooo much more eager to please, and so much better adapted to human domestication, its just not a fair comparison. and again this is totally besides the point of your enjoyment. but don't shit on others because dogs are impressive. they are.
Why are we arguing that cat owners are too defensive in a thread that is literally titled "dogs are better" and starts with OP making non-arguments that either depend on the specific cat or are complete bogus like the not consistent behaviour on human contact one.

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
My cats play fetch all the time. They are persistent and will bring their toys to me and wait for me to throw them. If I ignore them they often will bring another or pick it up and put it on my lap. I sometimes wake up with their toys on me. They definitely know their names as well as many other words.

They of course are not nearly as needy as dogs or a ex-girlfriend that wanted to be together 24/7, they have independence.

tata toothy

Dec 24, 2017
Judging an animal's intelligence by how they relate to humans is a terrible way to judge it btw. Cats outsmart dogs all time when interacting with each other.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I like them both. I know some very smart, affectionate, cats. And some dumb dogs. You get all sorts

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is saying their cats play consistently at beck and call. What?
o rly. i got you fam:

Sounds like your cat just thinks your a dick tbh. Our three cats do all of those things
I have two three legged cats that do all that shit minus the leashes (though they do love walks). They are almost attached to me when I walk in the door.
1) none of these things make the cat "worse"
2) my cats will do all those things. /shrug
My cat plays fetch, brings me toys when he wants to play, knows his name, begs when he wants treats, walks on a leash and knows the sound of me getting the leash and will run to the door to go outside. He is by my side most of the day when I am home.

My cats play fetch all the time. They are persistent and will bring their toys to me and wait for me to throw them. If I ignore them they often will bring another or pick it up and put it on my lap. I sometimes wake up with their toys on me. They definitely know their names as well as many other words.

there you go.

Why are we arguing that cat owners are too defensive in a thread that is literally titled "dogs are better" and starts with OP making non-arguments that either depend on the specific cat or are complete bogus like the not consistent behaviour on human contact one.

well I guess that's fair... but on a discussion board you sort of automatically add "in my opinion", which seemed evident to me

OP
OP

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Judging an animal's intelligence by how they relate to humans is a terrible way to judge it btw. Cats outsmart dogs all time when interacting with each other.
There's literally science that supports dogs as being more intelligent and capable animals. Dogs recognize more, solve more, and communicate more.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I've had both and I agree. I will never get another cat. Of course they are cute and fairly low maintenance, but those are the only two pros compared to a dog. Everything else about a dog is miles better.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
boy i wish raccoons could be domesticated

but they turn feral at teenage years, seemingly no matter what you do.

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This reminds me of a Japanese proverb I heard when I was there and we were talking about cats and dogs...

"Feed a dog for two days and it'll remember it for two years.
Feed a cat for two years and It'll remember it for two days."

So yes if you want a loyal companion you get a dog, if you want an individual companion you get a cat.
Or get a goat, they are awesome!

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
boy i wish raccoons could be domesticated

but they turn feral at teenage years, seemingly no matter what you do.
it's just a stage, they mature after a year or two at uni

don't actually know enough about raccoon development to comment. to be serious, I love raccoons so much and I'm consistently disappointed by people on this site dissing them

Oct 26, 2017
Also this whole thread was started in bad faith. An animal being smarter doesn't make it a better pet for everyone.

Like Ricky Gervais might be smarter but I'd rather hang out with Karl.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
don't actually know enough about raccoon development to comment. to be serious, I love raccoons so much and I'm consistently disappointed by people on this site dissing them

i knew someone who did rescues for abandoned/orphaned raccoons. they are the cutest goddamned things when they are young. I literally played with a baby raccoon on a beach once, in the waves. it's like a cross between a small monkey and a dog. and I spend 20+ years in Toronto so I am familiar with the highly adapted Trash Panda variant, who could get out of any escape room you threw at them.

but this same person who did the rescues warned me that they have to get out into some wild environment after age 1.5/2 years or they just turn on you and will bite.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
o rly. i got you fam:

there you go.

well I guess that's fair... but on a discussion board you sort of automatically add "in my opinion", which seemed evident to me
Those posts are saying cats do play and do more than just sit around like OP's cat. Don't misrepresent their intent.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those posts are saying cats do play and do more than just sit around like OP's cat. Don't misrepresent their intent.

sure. I didn't say they don't play – that's absurd – I just said they don't do it consistently, like a dog. which is fine, it is what it is, that quality is endearing to some people.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
sure. I didn't say they don't play – that's absurd – I just said they don't do it consistently, like a dog. which is fine, it is what it is, that quality is endearing to some people.
Entertain me for a sec, what do you mean by 'consistently'? You can always try to play with dogs and they will always play with you?

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
What a terrible thread.

Every cat is different. They have personalities, just like people. They're not immediately playful or trustful. Some people like that about dogs and that's ok. It doesn't make them better.

One of mine is an introvert who we almost thought was a mute because she didn't meow until she was like six months old and hides when someone she doesn't know comes over. But sometimes she randomly climbs on guests and starts licking their hair.

Then another who's super playful and likes to be caressed by pretty much anyone, and meows all the time.

All four of them are different and all have their quirks and stuff that makes them special.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
i knew someone who did rescues for abandoned/orphaned raccoons. they are the cutest goddamned things when they are young. I literally played with a baby raccoon on a beach once, in the waves. it's like a cross between a small monkey and a dog. and I spend 20+ years in Toronto so I am familiar with the highly adapted Trash Panda variant, who could get out of any escape room you threw at them.

but this same person who did the rescues warned me that they have to get out into some wild environment after age 1.5/2 years or they just turn on you and will bite.
yeah raccoons are my favorite animal, not just for their appearance (extra small chonky fuzzy bears), but for their personality. for domestication, from my understanding they're just too high energy for their own good.

there was a huge reddit thread a few years ago from a guy who had a beautiful house in the woods and befriended the local raccoon population, giving them rabies vaccination treatments, feeding them, and letting them into his garage and house. but he stressed that he didn't treat them as pets, because they need independence, real independence, not what some cat owners call moodiness.

edit: I add the last bit as a proud cat owner lol

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
I knew cats were shit when I was a kid and one approached me outside my house and let me stroke it, then came back minutes later for a another stroke and instead bit me. What the fuck cat?!

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Love them equally. Cats are a trip...Never know what you are going to get with them.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019

the article summarizing the study notes that one raccoon just rocked the tube back and forth to get it to fall over and nabbed the snack

c'mon you guys how do you not love these furry little fucks

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Intelligence studies typically use the cerebral cortex (which I see I failed to mention specifically), in which the elephant's only averages 5.6 billion. Human cerebral cortex averages 16 billion. And yes, that count does mean something alone.

Very cool study, here's the charts from the study comparing brain mass and neurons:

The number of neurons in the cerebral cortex is what is being used as a measure of intelligence between the animals.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm convinced that everyone who loves cats is just infected with Toxoplasmosis. All that talk about loving them and their awful behavior just sounds like Stockholm Syndrome to me.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
The cat doesn't listen, doesn't play, doesn't do any trained behaviors, doesn't know what to do with toys, doesn't know what to do when I am holding treats, doesn't know it's name, doesn't understand leashes or walks, doesn't remember that car rides are fine, doesn't have a consistent reaction to any human contact, etc etc etc

The cat is fine. I can pet him sometimes. But half the time he's just there on some table staring at a window. Sometimes he rubs on me and I pet him until he purrs, other times he rubs on me and tries to bite and scratch. It's nonsense.
tbh, knowing you and the threads you make, i wouldn't wanna play with you or rub on you either

Oct 25, 2017
For how smart they are, dogs sure are a lot of goddamn work. Gotta play with them, gotta walk them, gotta wash them or they make your whole house stink. I already have children, I don't need more things that need constant attention from me.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Dogs are great. It's the owners that are often the problem.
Cats are not for people who are needy and can't deal with creatures that aren't focussed on them.
If you want a sense of authority or a sense of affection you can't find with people, a dog is an ideal companionship.

Dogs are definitely smarter than cats though. And completely submissive. That's what owners really like.

Last edited:

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Cats has better graphics but dogs has better gameplay.

My cats have a far larger move set than any of my dogs had. Climb up screen door, bunny kick the hell out of you, bite (both have that), backflip, squeeze into tiny places, far better stealth technology built in.

I would put my money on a 20lb cat over a 20lb dog any day in a fight, or need to escape scenario.

Oct 27, 2017
Cat good
Big fluffy dog good
Small dog bad
No fluff dog bad
This.

Small dogs fucking suck. Gross, annoying, useless little shits.

How many avalanche rescue chihuahuas are there? Where are the police french bulldogs? Where are the seeing eye shitzus?

BIG DOGS are great.
CATS are great, if that's more your thing.
SMALL DOGS shouldn't exist.

They just decimate the native wildlife.

They are pests and should be eradicated.
Birds are shit-ass animals anyway outside of a few species. Fuck birds. Same with rodents of most varieties.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
This.

Small dogs fucking suck. Gross, annoying, useless little shits.

How many avalanche rescue chihuahuas are there? Where are the police french bulldogs? Where are the seeing eye shitzus?

BIG DOGS are great.
CATS are great, if that's more your thing.
SMALL DOGS shouldn't exist.

Birds are shit-ass animals anyway outside of a few species. Fuck birds. Same with rodents of most varieties.
rats are so good at stuff, they can fit through a hole the size of a quarter, they can swim underwater for three days, they can cook

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Having spent many years with both, both are great and this is a bait thread. I seeeee youuuuu BAD

Dogs give you more attention if you want that and are generally more "fun". Cats are much easier to take care of and are more semi-affectionate roommates. But you people know this. I guess a war over this is at least better than one more war over how good TLJ is.

Status
Not open for further replies.