• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
This is information that recently came out so i thought it would make for a good thread

Nichegamer:

In the wake of the "MeToo" movement and ongoing reports of sexual abuse and harassment in Hollywood, one figure was at the center of many allegations: Harvey Weinstein. We've learned (via The Guardian) that years ago (and now resurfaced via Metro) Studio Ghibli actually stood up to Weinstein's tendencies – with a samurai sword.

The news was confirmed in an interview with Studio Ghibli director and co-founder Hayao Miyazaki, who confirmed the producer wanted to make huge cuts to the then-premiering Princess Mononoke.

At the time, Weinstein was a massively influential and feared person in Hollywood, and he was in charge of the American release of the movie.

Miyazaki confirmed that they actually sent him a samurai sword in a clear message they would not back down for their vision.

"Actually, my producer [Toshio Suzuki] did that", Miyazaki said. The legendary creator went on to note that the Hollywood producer launched an "aggressive attack" on the film's release, and had "all these demands for cuts." The sword was sent with a message attached: "No cuts."

Weinstein has been known to heavily edit and cut films to match his liking, however when presented the ironclad vision that Hayao is known for, he actually gave up. When recalling the story, Miyazaki smiled and said "I defeated him."

http:///2018/02/22/hayao-miyazaki-confirms-studio-ghibli-stood-harvey-weinstein-samurai-sword/

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
That's fucking badass.

It's an older story though, I remember reading about this somewhere.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Please do not advocate violence or suicide on ResetEra.
Now if only he'd commit seppuku.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
Well... Harvey Weinstein got a free sword, so who really won in this scenario?
BogusHugeHydra-max-1mb.gif

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like something a college anime nerd would do and end up on one of those cringe compilations. Yet in this context, somehow it seems really cool.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Damn, that is freakin' AWESOME! I remember hearing about their staunch "no cuts" ultimatum, but I never knew a sword was involved. Plus with Weinstein now, it takes on a whole new context!

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good for Ghibli. That movie is a fucking masterpiece. I can't imagine what a Hollywood butchered version would look like.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I actually thought it was a not so subtle "fuck you go kill yourself" sword, but after reading OP, theirs was more diplomatic.

Logos

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
When I saw the headline I assumed it was sent to he commits seppuku

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
LOL at the mental image of Harvey Fucking Weinstein in the editing booth making changes to an absolutely legendary animated film.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And then Weinstein released the film with zero fanfare to like 200 screens. Hard to say who wins here.

I thought "no cuts"/no edits was part of Disney's contract with Ghibli

Am I missing something? A director stops a producer from making cuts to his film.....whats 'bad ass' here?
Harvey was notorious for taking movies away from directors and cutting them to ribbons and almost never capitulated to any of their requests. This situation is the reason why it's "almost" and not "always," since the only other director that had any success in cold-blocking Harvey from making cuts was Bong Joon-ho when TWC picked up Snowpiercer.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what kind of cuts he demanded...
also I feel kinda weird for never having heard of "Weinstein" before this mess started... Was I supposed to know this guy?

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
And then Weinstein released the film with zero fanfare to like 200 screens. Hard to say who wins here.

I thought "no cuts"/no edits was part of Disney's contract with Ghibli

Mononoke was the first film they brought over and it was technically under Miramax, the Disney partnership didn't start up full steam until Spirited Away. Weinstein was infamous for cutting foreign films back then.

I managed to see Mononoke during that run. I think there were three of us in an AMC theater in the Seattle suburbs.

Inferno

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa, FL
also I feel kinda weird for never having heard of "Weinstein" before this mess started... Was I supposed to know this guy?

He's been one of the biggest producers in Hollywood for years, was the head of Miramax during their most productive years, and then founded The Weinstein Company.

He's a behind the scenes figure, so I wouldn't worry too much about knowing who he was.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not really. (If you aren't heavily involved in the film/tv industry)

I mean, how many producers can you personally name off the top of your head?

MetatronM

Oct 25, 2017
Only if you're the type of person who pays close attention to the production company and studio logos and non-actor/director credits at the beginning of movies, basically.

Anyway, this story is generally pretty well known, but I don't think I've ever heard it mentioned that Weinstein already had a list of specific cuts prior to that.

This story has been known for well over a decade but I sure as hell didn't know it was regarding Weinstein back then.
From what I recall, Disney picked up the film directly, but since they weren't in the business of releasing violent animated films (they still aren't, but that's not here or there), they kicked it over to Miramax, since they were their adult prestige distributor and they had more experience with foreign films since that's what the company was built upon. The problem was... well, no one ever called Weinstein "Harvey Scissorhands" as a term of affection and respect in their entire life.

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh, doesn't sound like they stood up to anything. It just sounded like a very elbow-ribby-in-jest kind of request, that Weinstein probably bragged to his friends about owning a Samurai sword sent by the legendary Miyazaki.