• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
'Euphoria' Ordered to Series at HBO as Drake, Future the Prince Join as Producers
HBO has picked up the drama "Euphoria" to series with both Drake and Future the Prince joining the show as executive producers, Variety has learned.

"Euphoria" follows a group of high school students as they navigate drugs, sex, identity, trauma, social media, love and friendship. It is based on the Israeli series of the same name from HOT that was created by Ron Leshem and Daphna Levin, both of whom are executive producers on the HBO version.

Zendaya will play the lead role of Rue. In addition, the show will also star: Maude Apatow as Lexi, Brian "Astro" Bradley as McKay, Angus Cloud as Fezco, Eric Dane as Cal, Alexa Demie as Maddy, Jacob Elordi as Nate, Barbie Ferreira as Kat, Nika King as Leslie, Storm Reid as Gia, Hunter Schafer as Jules, and Sydney Sweeney as Cassie.
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/drake-future-the-prince-hbo-euphoria-series-order-1202889689/

Kid Fury to Develop HBO Comedy Series With Lena Waithe Producing (EXCLUSIVE)
Podcaster, vlogger, and comedian Kid Fury is developing a half-hour HBO comedy series that boasts Lena Waithe among its executive producers, Variety has learned exclusively.

The untitled project is described as a surreal dark comedy that follows Greg, a 20-something sarcastic gay black man navigating adulthood and responsibility in New York City while struggling to wrap his head around his undiagnosed clinical depression.

Kid Fury, whose given name is Gregory A. Smith, will serve as writer and co-executive producer on the series with Waithe executive producing. Chloe Pisello, David Martin, Jon Thoday, and Richard Allen-Turner of Avalon Television will also executive produce. Jason Kim will co-executive produce.
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/kid-fury-hbo-lena-waithe-1202888458/

HBO is going full throttle ahead on emulating netflix while also propping up black talent just like them.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017

very short tease for Euprhoria

also, the KidFury news is fucking INSANE. he came from a really small gay black Youtube channel to a pretty big podcast to producing a show on HBO. wild as fuck. Amazing they're doing this after putting on Issa Rae.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
HBO coming back strong with the "Urban" programming.
I think there really has to be some data on black viewership on Netflix and HBO for them to be moving like this. Netflix opened that @StrongBlackLead twitter account last year to promote netflix TV shows and recently hired Shonda Rhimes and the blackish showrunner. they're going to war and black people win

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think there really has to be some data on black viewership on Netflix and HBO for them to be moving like this. Netflix opened that @StrongBlackLead twitter account last year to promote netflix TV shows and recently hired Shonda Rhimes and the blackish showrunner. they're going to war and black people win
HBO has always had a hand in urban programming with Boxing and Def Comedy Jam in the 90's.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
Holy shit Kid Fury has been making some serious power moves. Kills me how he always doubts himself on The Read but he's such a big inspiration for me.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
HBO has always had a hand in urban programming with Boxing and Def Comedy Jam in the 90's.
yeah but when black people were getting all up in network tv during 2010-15 (after the success of scandal/empire/HTGAWM), HBO's black programming was basically nonexistent. The entire network was white. Insecure's been changing things.

Euphoria sounds interesting

Modern day Freaks and Geeks?
Degrassi on Cocaine?
American Skins maybe.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Good point, they wouldn't be making these moves if the data doesn't show there is money there. Makes me wonder what kinda of numbers Insecurfe does, I would not be shocked if it does better than Ballers. Ballers was superhot garbage last year

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I feel like black folks on social media do more for Netflix (we coined "Netflix and chill" lol) and HBO programming (our reactions to "Insecure" and even "Game of Thrones" account for most of the discussion I see about the shows on Twitter) than a lot of folks are comfortable admitting.

So, you know, it's just like literally anything else involving niggas.

OP
OP
RastaMentality
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon ain't resting either.

Amazon Gives 2-Season Order To Horror Event Series 'Them' From Lena Waithe, Little Marvin, Vertigo & Sony TV – TCA
https://deadline.com/2018/07/amazon...aithe-little-marvin-vertigo-prime-1202435751/
yo lena's comeup from that Emmy win is one for the books.

But... But... But... I thought AT&T wanted to destroy the HBO brand?

This is good stuff, and I'm glad they didn't just do their own attempt at Power or Atlanta. These series all sound different, though Euphoria is going to have to be different to the Netflix teen shows if it wants to stand out. Hopefully they don't just make it edgy for the sake of it, and it has something to say. Alternatively, go batshit crazy like Riverdale.
AT&T wants HBO to be like Netflix but at least they're pushing for diversity with the quantity. I'm sure these shows will all have the signature HBO camera flair and production value too.

Dizagaox

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
London
But... But... But... I thought AT&T wanted to destroy the HBO brand?

This is good stuff, and I'm glad they didn't just do their own attempt at Power or Atlanta. These series all sound different, though Euphoria is going to have to be different to the Netflix teen shows if it wants to stand out. Hopefully they don't just make it edgy for the sake of it, and it has something to say. Alternatively, go batshit crazy like Riverdale.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like black folks on social media do more for Netflix (we coined "Netflix and chill" lol) and HBO programming (our reactions to "Insecure" and even "Game of Thrones" account for most of the discussion I see about the shows on Twitter) than a lot of folks are comfortable admitting.

So, you know, it's just like literally anything else involving niggas.
Black media has always been dependable for media outlets. I think the biggest change has been the exapansion of platforms and the higher demand for content, and Black content creators and production companies being in a position to take adavantage of these opportunities.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
lena Waithe is trying to get all the checks, not mad at her at all

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
That Kid Fury show is gonna be great. He's really risen up.

Also I can't wait for them to show him visiting his family in Miami during the show. You know how Fury is with his home lol.

Anas

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
All these diversity and still they didn't cast an Asian cast for Death Note

I guess they learned something

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree the setting needs to change (It probably should've been atlanta), but there's literally no shows about gay black men on premium tv.
You're right. The gay Black male lead and his perspectives and experiences is what's going to make the show stand out regardless of setting, but showing Atlanta from this perspective would've also been fresh.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man.

I wonder if it's too late for me to start writing seriously again :(

Great time to be a black creative...

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of Kid Fury but that show sounds interesting. I know my boyfriend will be digging it at least if his orientation plays a key role.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
They gotta make up for Confederate some way.

Full steam ahead on production! D&D make that money!

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Both these shows sound interesting and more diversity is always awesome to see. I'll definitely be watching this show.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol

The TV equivalent of "... but my black friend lets me say it"
Press release during the controversy leading up to Confederate's debut. "...HBO has been a strong advcoate of African American voices including producers, writers, dierectors, and actors on our platform with (insert list of all the Black shows and movies)..."