• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA

WarnerMedia has narrowed down the launch date for HBO Max. Initially confirmed for a spring 2020 release, the new streaming service will debut in May, WarnerMedia entertainment president Robert Greenblatt announced on Tuesday.

It was also revealed that the service will cost a hefty $14.99 per month, which is more than the $12.99 per month it costs for a standard Netflix plan. An ad-supported version of HBO Max (price TBD) is also planned to launch in 2021. The company has not said whether an annual subscription rate will be made available.

HBO Max has at least 16 scripted series in various stages of development, including a Gossip Girl reboot, an Adventure Time revival and the Kaley Cuoco drama The Flight Attendant. (To view the complete slate, click here.) These original series will release new episodes weekly, rather than all at once, Netflix-style.

In addition to original series, HBO Max will feature a robust selection of library content. The service will house all episodes of Friends, The Big Bang Theory, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and Pretty Little Liars, as well as all of HBO's programming.

HBO Max will also serve as the streaming home for all new CW dramas produced by Warner Bros. The deal begins with Batwoman and Katy Keene, which will drop on the premium service after they have concluded their freshman runs.

This post shows everything WarnerMedia owns so the content library will certainly be broad.
Yes.

62178156_10157746183174610_1213322510158790656_n.jpg

EDIT:

Important to note, we don't yet have a full list of what exactly will be on the service day one, and likely won't until much closer to the launch date in May. But it's safe to say most things from under these various brands will be there.

Last edited:

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
How about countries that aren't America? Will HBO stuff all still be Sky Atlantic exclusive in the UK?

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Crave will be it in Canada, given how HBO content is tied up with that. That will mean all the non-HBO content on HBO Max (Friends, etc.) will need a different streaming home in Canada. Interesting times ahead.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
So wait is this and the new WB service separate or are they together? Also what happens to regular HBO? It is pretty much you get the content after the release on HBO Max?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Like I do with Go, I'll pop in for a month or two every now and then. Shaping up to be better than I'd initially thought.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
got HBO through DirecTV so it looks like they're giving it to me(?), and thats the only way I'd think about getting this. Still seems kind of odd they are spending over 3 billion for four shows(Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men, Friends, South Park) and are willing to just give it away to so many people for free, doesn't seem smart to me.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
good thing they giving this on top of hbo go for u verse customers. or else I won't add it on top of everything else I'm subscribed to.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
got HBO through DirecTV so it looks like they're giving it to me(?), and thats the only way I'd think about getting this. Still seems kind of odd they are spending over 3 billion for four shows(Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men, Friends, South Park) and are willing to just give it away to so many people for free, doesn't seem smart to me.
Like all these subscription business models, it is a long term play. If you can get a large number of subscribers upfront, you're set for a long time. Even if you have to spend a significant amount to generate those users.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised they were willing to go that high when Disney is asking less than half of that