• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
NBCUniversal also has Peacock incoming though it is kind of half-assed compared to Disney Plus and HBO Max, less marketing, less old content, less new content, less exclusivity, and ad-supported. At the moment Comcast is hesitant to put all their chips in like Disney and AT&T are doing because licensing out their library is safer than hoarding back all their content onto its own service, but if their 2 biggest rivals succeed they will be to follow their lead. If that happens Netflix will only have Paramount and Sony media to buy among the majors.

They're already pulling their content to horde for Peacock though. The popular stuff that Netflix licensed from them are going away.

OP
OP
TheAbsolution

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Ok - I dont give a rip about HBO shows, I already have it. (So I guess I already get max?)

Is there a list of Max exclusives anywhere?

Here you go.
And yes, you get Max included.
Max Originals
HBO Max is also producing new original programming exclusively for the service. Here are some highlights from what they've announced so far:

• "Tokyo Vice," based on Jake Adelstein's non-fiction first-hand account of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police beat starring Ansel Elgort
  • "The Flight Attendant," a one-hour thriller series based on the novel by Chris Bohjalian, which will star Kaley Cuoco, who is also executive producing alongside Greg Berlanti
  • "Love Life," a 10-episode half-hour romantic comedy anthology series starring "Pitch Perfect" star Anna Kendrick, who will also executive produce alongside Paul Feig
  • "Made for Love," a 10-episode, half-hour, straight-to-series adaptation based on the tragicomic novel of the same name by Alissa Nutting, also from Somerville and directed by S.J. Clarkson
  • A "Gossip Girl" reboot from the creators of the original series, Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage. Eight years after the original website went dark, a new generation of New York private school teens are introduced to the social surveillance of Gossip Girl.
  • The Fungies!, from Stephen Neary and Cartoon Network Studios, is a prehistoric comedy that explores Fungietown through the whimsical quests of Seth, a young student at Fungietown Elementary.
  • Tig N' Seek from Myke Chilian and Cartoon Network Studios is about 8-year-old Tiggy and his gadget-building cat, Gweeseek, as they search for the lost items of Wee Gee City. With Tiggy's cheerful attitude and Gweeseek's exceptional inventing capabilities, the duo humorously navigate day-to-day dilemmas at the Department of Lost and Found
  • Tooned Out, executive produced by Robert Zemeckis (Forrest Gump; Cast Away; Back to the Future), is a half-hour, hybrid live-action and animated comedy*.* Things get a little cartoony for Mac when he starts seeing iconic cartoon characters in his life, but they're not just there for laughs, they're helping him get through a very rough patch in his life
  • Looney Tunes Cartoons, an all-new series of 80 eleven-minute episodes and holiday-themed specials from Warner Bros. Animation starring the cherished classic Looney Tunes characters for today's kids. Iconic characters will include Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Elmer Fudd, Tweety, Sylvester, Granny, Yosemite Sam, Foghorn Leghorn, Marvin the Martian, Tasmanian Devil, Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote and many more
  • Jellystone, a new animated children's comedy series from Warner Bros. Animation that will welcome viewers to the town of Jellystone, where their favorite Hanna-Barbera characters live, work, play, and stir up trouble together
  • DC Super Hero High is a half-hour comedy series executive produced by Elizabeth Banks (Charlie's Angels, Pitch Perfect, Shrill), which follows a group of students experiencing the fun and drama of adolescence at a boarding school for gifted kids. These teens are just trying to navigate the pressures of high school, but none of them realize that someday they will become legendary DC Super Heroes.
    • Rap Sh*t (working title) from Issa Rae (Insecure; A Black Lady Sketch Show) is a half-hour comedy series that follows a female rap group from outside of Miami trying to make it in the music industry
    • College Girls (working title), the latest series from Mindy Kaling (Four Weddings and a Funeral, Late Night, The Mindy Project, The Office), is a 13-episode half-hour, single-camera comedy following three 18-year-old freshman roommates at Evermore College in Vermont who are equal parts lovable and infuriating*.*
    • Strange Adventures*,* a DC Super Hero anthology series executive produced by Greg Berlanti (Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Titans, Doom Patrol), will feature characters from across the DC canon. This one-hour drama series will explore close-ended morality tales about the intersecting lives of mortals and superhumans
    • A Green Lantern inspired series from Berlanti Productions that will finally introduce characters from this iconic comic in Berlanti's biggest series yet
    • A Series of Stand Up Specials presented by Conan O'Brien will feature five new comedy specials. O'Brien will host two specials, featuring short sets from multiple up-and-coming comics while also curating one-hour sets from three comedians. In addition HBO Max has purchased the rights to a one-hour special from comedian James Veitch
    • Raised by Wolves*,* an epic serialized sci-fi series executive produced and directed by Ridley Scott (The Martian, Blade Runner, Alien: Covenant) centering on two androids tasked with raising human children on a mysterious virgin planet.
    • Bobbie Sue is a feature-length film starring Golden Globe® winner Gina Rodriquez (Jane the Virgin) following the story of a headstrong young lawyer who lands a career-making case with an upper crust law firm, only to realize she's been hired for optics and not her expertise.

More at the link.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok - I dont give a rip about HBO shows, I already have it. (So I guess I already get max?)

Is there a list of Max exclusives anywhere?
From Wikipedia:

HBO MAX ORIGINALS

1CIR7ee.png
ku3oXyg.png
HTpLepM.png

+

HBO'S UPCOMING ORIGINALS

NSZE2Zs.png

+

HBO'S CURRENT ORIGINALS

KZVGERG.png
U69Avzv.png

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Them going away from binge releases makes since. They been THE water cooler channel for a while. And the release pace can't really be sustainable

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
OH the fact that it is replacing HBO go is great! I thought it was going to be something separate. This is fine.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I think I'll take it. This is like 75% of what I watch on my cable subscription right now along with a *lot* of stuff that's way out of reach. And my cable costs about $15 on top of my internet speed (which as a single guy I could probably stand to cut my internet speed a tad too).

OP
OP
TheAbsolution

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
There seems to be confusion around different media outlets. I blame Warner with their confusing BS
Basically the deal is this. They already can promise that AT&T customers will get transferred for free. Everyone else, the intent is to have them be able to do the same. However due to existing contracts, they just don't have a solid deal in place yet for everybody else so they're basically betting that 3rd party providers of HBO will basically agree to go along with this.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, which is it — *all* HBO subs will transfer over or just HBO Now subs + HBO cable subs provided by AT&T?

Basically the deal is this. They already can promise that AT&T customers will get transferred for free. Everyone else, the intent is to have them be able to do the same. However due to existing contracts, they just don't have a solid deal in place yet for everybody else so they're basically betting that 3rd party providers of HBO will basically agree to go along with this.
Ah that answers that then, thanks!

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
i feel like people should be forced to read at least one roundup article about this before posting.

people saying HBO Max is independent of or doesn't actually have any HBO content is bonkers misinformation

people being bizarrely unaware of the fact this has Warner content and more, DC Universe stuff coming, etc

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
a bit steep compare to the competition but HBO does have some good content

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
This is an easy sub for me. Helps that me and my siblings all share accounts so I'll be getting Disney + through my little sister.

In hindsight, Netflix going through that cancellation spree of their series is only making this easier for me.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I there any indication that this will have old legacy content from HBO? Like stuff from before The Sopranos? OZ, Dream On, Arliss, 1st & Ten, Tales from the Crypt, etc?

I was always surprised that HBO GO never offered that stuff since it's ostensibly free content for them (though maybe there's licensing issues with music or something).

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I there any indication that this will have old legacy content from HBO? Like stuff from before The Sopranos? OZ, Dream On, Arliss, 1st & Ten, Tales from the Crypt, etc?

I was always surprised that HBO GO never offered that stuff since it's ostensibly free content for them (though maybe there's licensing issues with music or something).
It should. They haven't explicitly given a list of what HBO content is coming to HBO Max, but it is assumed it all is.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
e

At the investor presentation I want to say they said everything that is currently on hBo, will be in Max.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

There might be rights issues because they didn't put up The Larry Sanders Show until a year or two ago.

Also I thought Oz actually was available to stream.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It should. They haven't explicitly given a list of what HBO content is coming to HBO Max, but it is assumed it all is.
At the investor presentation I want to say they said everything that is currently on hBo, will be in Max.
The issue is that shows like that are not "currently on HBO".....they aren't being aired on TV and they aren't on the streaming service. They've essentially been left to rot (though I think OZ still has some presence in the streaming world).

If the Spawn movie is still happening, I presume there would be some notable interest in the animated series that HBO did.

I'd like to see them bring back some of their more offbeat children's programming from back in the day too. Encyclopedia must return, even if today's kids have no idea what an encyclopedia is.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is that shows like that are not "currently on HBO".....they aren't being aired on TV and they aren't on the streaming service. They've essentially been left to rot (though I think OZ still has some presence in the streaming world).

If the Spawn movie is still happening, I presume there would be some notable interest in the animated series that HBO did.

I'd like to see them bring back some of their more offbeat children's programming from back in the day too. Encyclopedia must return.
It's weird that something like OZ isn't up there. No idea why it isn't. But I would expect them to release a more extensive and comprehensive list of what will be there at launch closer to launch, just like Disney did earlier this month.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I actually felt bad for Hulu after this presentation.

Hulu is losing a ton of Warner Bros owned shows to HBO Max: South Park, Rick & Morty, Family Matters, Full House, E.R, The O.C.

And just wait till Peacock steals away shows like Cheers, Frasier, The Office, Parks and Recreation.
Tough luck for Netflix, too. Netflix is trying to push original content, but its most-watched shows are still the classics like The Office. Netflix still has the advantage of being the established behemoth, but I'm not sure how long its lead will last with so many others nipping at its heels.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I feel like this is really going to do well. Comes with HBO if you subscribe through cable, and the same price of Now. It's a no brainer.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO

I'd like to see them bring back some of their more offbeat children's programming from back in the day too. Encyclopedia must return, even if today's kids have no idea what an encyclopedia is.

I'd love to see them put up their HBO Championship Boxing catalogue but I seriously doubt that happens...

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So HBO clarified on their site how to get MAX for free if you already own HBO. This might be worth posting somewhere in the OP.

EIF9kckWkAAjWk8

Source: Engadget

Last edited:

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
So HBO clarified on their site how to get MAX for free if you already own HBO. This might be worth posting somewhere in the OP.

EIF9kckWkAAjWk8
Yeah, I was confused at first too. Basically they're still going through negotiations with other providers to see about getting their customers onto Max.

Leunamus

May 18, 2019
Jugding from some of the posts here I think WB might have a Wii U situation in their hands, with people not really knowing that HBOmax is a standalone service that includes the entirety of their portfolio plus much more and instead thinking it's some kind of add-on.