• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Seems like HBO Max and Disney+ will be the best combo. Hulu will be a lot less relevant, and Netflix might justify an occasional one-month sub for a good show here and there.

Last edited:

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
It this just replaces my HBO GO free subscription then HBO are good in my book.

That's what it's doing. It's consolidating HBO Now and HBO Go to be a unified service, something that some argued should have been the case from the beginning, rebranding and relaunching into a streamlined service.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
That's a pretty good price given the strong TV lineup this year thus far from Warner. Maybe with Max, people will finally know about the Knick and Warrior if they end up on there.

With the comparisons with other streaming services I've seen mentioned, I think HBO Max has the potential to have the most compelling lineups with the combination of legacy content and the range of shows combined with upcoming and new content. Netflix for example has huge amounts of shows but they have no legacy content on par, they're losing a lot of shows at the same time that it remains to be seen if their current output exceeds the loss of content. The one thing Netflix does have going for it is the international presence. The rollout to 2021 may give Netflix enough time to generate more content. They've got a great list of anime, cartoon and kids as well. Warner will likely be a larger threat to Netflix out of all due to overlapping audiences and content. I do think Netflix has some great shows despite other opinions. On top of my head I've enjoyed this year, They've had Mindhunter, Sabrina, Dark Crystal, When they see us, Stranger Things, Dark, Carmen, Dragon Prince, She-Ra and they've got the Crown and Witcher upcoming that I'm excited for.

For Disney+ it's cheaper but only because the content seems like it's going to feel very light like if Netflix took the kids section and made it a separate cheaper service. It doesn't really much original content upcoming relying heavily on legacy content. Like past Mandalorian, The next show is either clone wars or Falcon which is a long wait. Seems like a service to barely keep the subscription going. I personally don't find it having as much value even as much as I love Disney content.

I don't really directly pay for Netflix or Amazon due to my ISP plans so having more isn't such an issue either way.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
That's what it's doing. It's consolidating HBO Now and HBO Go to be a unified service, something that some argued should have been the case from the beginning, rebranding and relaunching into a streamlined service.
Then Bless them. I get HBO now for free with my internet and now I don't have to sub for the Adventure Time specials.

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pumped I get it for free but even if I didn't would be all over it. Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ and HBOMAX seem to be all you need

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Interesting. I'm okay with $15/mo if it seems way more broad than HBO Now. I think I'll resub to Now later this year or early next year and then let it convert into Max.

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
I there any indication that this will have old legacy content from HBO? Like stuff from before The Sopranos? OZ, Dream On, Arliss, 1st & Ten, Tales from the Crypt, etc?

I was always surprised that HBO GO never offered that stuff since it's ostensibly free content for them (though maybe there's licensing issues with music or something).

Arli$$ and Oz are currently available on HBO Go, as well as The Larry Sanders Show.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Some of y'all are either funny or naive. the days of sub $10 streaming plans is over. The only one thats going to be out there is D+ and that will last about a year. HBO isn't going to leave money on the table., they'll give Max to people that pay for the channel through other services and bundles for free but they'll kill off Go and Now, the only service you'll be able to sub to as a standalone will be Max. Book it.

Oct 31, 2017
Yes.

62178156_10157746183174610_1213322510158790656_n.jpg

EDIT:

Important to note, we don't yet have a full list of what exactly will be on the service day one, and likely won't until much closer to the launch date in May. But it's safe to say most things from under these various brands will be there.

I wonder if anyone besides Disney can flex like this.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I think Netflix is going to end up releasing episodes 1 week at a time to stop 1 month subs. I mean they have to in order to be competitive.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Will be interesting to see what the "more details" are for getting HBO through cable providers, since I get it through Spectrum.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I have Netflix, Prime, and Hulu which I got discounted for $1 per month. I'm not too excited about D+ once I realized how limited there content is. But this on the other hand, this has a ton of stuff to offer.

It just depends how much content WB is willing to shove into this since they still have other streaming services that the probably don't plan on folding anytime soon.

I could see myself paying for 3 streaming services at full price. And I feel HBO Max would be a easy choice as long as they chock it full of content which they can do if they want.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I think Netflix is going to end up releasing episodes 1 week at a time to stop 1 month subs. I mean they have to in order to be competitive.
Probably crack down on account sharing too, they've been talking about it lately. I think as soon as they take a big hit...it's gone or geofenced at a minimum.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I think so as well, but the one thing you are missing is the prestige film studio, and Disney has that but it will likely be stashed into Hulu. So the Hulu/Disney bundle makes it feel complete

Warner Bros isn't a prestige film studio? The studio that owns Casablanca, Citizen Kane, 2001, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, The Shining and Wizard of Oz?

Apr 8, 2018
Holy shit, Close Enough is finally releasing. If rumors of the entire first season being completed are true, I guess it'll be a launch title then?

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
This sounds awesome. And I had no idea they were doing a Gossip Girl reboot.

The real question is how many people can stream at once >_> I feel like HBO GO/Now has no limit? I've shared with friends with no issues

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I meant those smaller budget Oscar films. Like focus pictures and Sony classics, I don't think WB has an equivalent

Ah, hmm. I actually don't know the answer to that. I'd be surprised if WB doesn't own some studio or production company that deals with indie films. They're such a big company that it would be a bit shocking if they were missing that aspect of it.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Ah, hmm. I actually don't know the answer to that. I'd be surprised if WB doesn't own some studio or production company that deals with indie films. They're such a big company that it would be a bit shocking if they were missing that aspect of it.

According to wiki, they didn't list anything in the arthouse/boutique studio column for WB, this isn't to take away from WB ability to create prestige films

May 9, 2019
HBO Max and probably Disney+ is all the streaming stuff I need. DC Universe is probably going to diminish and get folded into Max. The price seems hefty but so much content is available and their shows offer HUGE promises. I'm definitely looking forward to the DC and GOT stuff. WB should also use this to make more franchises/properties under their name.

May 9, 2019
I have HBO through Spectrum, so will I get a freebie pass?

I also have AT&T mobile but my family wants to switch soon :(

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, HBO Now subscribers get HBO Max free at no additional cost.

Here's some more information from HBO.

EIF9kckWkAAjWk8

Crap... I'm subscribed via iTunes (AppleTV). Hopefully this doesn't fuck up my account.
I'm subscribing from Germany with my cousin's credit card on my US account but paying via iTunes cards while accessing HBO Now via VPN...

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like HBO Max and Disney+ will be the best combo. Hulu will be a lot less relevant, and Netflix might justify an occasional one-month sub for a good show here and there.
Isn't Hulu going to be where Disney puts the shows and movies that don't fit their family-friendly image to be on Disney+? Disney+ looks to be solely the Disney fan's streaming service while HBO Max is basically everything else.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Hulu going to be where Disney puts the shows and movies that don't fit their family-friendly image to be on Disney+? Disney+ looks to be solely the Disney fan's streaming service while HBO Max is basically everything else.

Ya, people don't realize how Hulu is going to evolve to be the other half of Disney's streaming strategy.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
and they can't even confirm that it will support 4k HDR.

It's like they still want to try to make a killing off their 4K BluRay sales.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
I have HBO through Spectrum, so will I get a freebie pass?

I also have AT&T mobile but my family wants to switch soon :(

Right now only ATT users who subscribe to HBO get the Max freebie pass, but they said they are talking to other carriers so by the time the service launches, they could have worked something out with Spectrum, Comcast, etc.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya, people don't realize how Hulu is going to evolve to be the other half of Disney's streaming strategy.
I know what it's meant to be/they want it to be, but the fact is Disney isn't particularly interested in making adult content. Right now they just need a place for the majority of the FOX library to go, and it's a good outlet for FX shows -- which is basically the only branch of the corporation producing adult content going forward. And it's not like they're ever going to try to produce more adult programming with their IP either (at least not more adult than Star Wars/Marvel, which will be on Disney+). I think long-term Disney is going to realize it doesn't really make sense to keep this stuff as a separate service from Disney+ and just roll it in and have parental controls like the competitors will have/already do.

The Simpsons is already kind of a grey area imo and that is being tossed on to Disney+, so... I mean that's a far cry from stuff like Alien still, but I just see the consolidation as inevitable.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Probably crack down on account sharing too, they've been talking about it lately. I think as soon as they take a big hit...it's gone or geofenced at a minimum.

Can't really be done. Competition in the marketplace means you're pretty much gonna have 3-5 simultaneous streams regardless of what subnet you are on.

One parent streaming at the gym while another streams on a business trip and the kids have *at least* one stream at home? Three streams plus, and you can't not allow it unless none of the competition does.

Disney+ has already said that four simultaneous streams are fine. Expect that to be the norm.

Loving my 'family'. We're divvying up the price of Max, Plus, and Hulu at a minimum. Adding stuff like CBS All Access when Trek is on and so on.

Is the DC comics streaming services bundled with this?

No.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Can't really be done. Competition in the marketplace means you're pretty much gonna have 3-5 simultaneous streams regardless of what subnet you are on.

Mom streaming at the gym while dad streams on a business trip and the kids have *at least* one stream at home? Three streams plus, and you can't not allow it unless none of the competition does.

Disney+ has already said that four simultaneous streams are fine. Expect that to be the norm.

Loving my 'family'. We're divvying up the price of Max, Plus, and Hulu at a minimum. Adding stuff like CBS All Access when Trek is on and so on.
Oh, i don't knw there are several ways to do it just as they have cut out VPNs to a large extent. You're making the mistake that a lot of people do: that what is true today will always be a baseline of what is true tomorrow. If netflix is losing a great deal of money they will have no problems with the following: raising the fees significantly, lowering the rate but not providing additional logins or requiring a fee for providing access from remote locations. All of these things are feasible to do without much effort. And as my father would say when facing life and death, what's the loss of a limb?