• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh, i don't knw there are several ways to do it just as they have cut out VPNs to a large extent. You're making the mistake that a lot of people do: that what is true today will always be a baseline of what is true tomorrow. If netflix is losing a great deal of money they will have no problems with the following: raising the fees significantly, lowering the rate but not providing additional logins or requiring a fee for providing access from remote locations. All of these things are feasible to do without much effort. And as my father would say when facing life and death, what's the loss of a limb?

I can see what you say happening after players start dropping out of the market. There won't be any upcharging simultaneous streams to multiple IPs for the forseeable future. The Great Stream War hasn't even started yet. Keeping things simple and flat priced are parts of having an appealing service in a competitive landscape.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I can see what you say happening after players start dropping out of the market. There won't be any upcharging simultaneous streams to multiple IPs for the forseeable future. The Great Stream War hasn't even started yet. Keeping things simple and flat priced are parts of having an appealing service in a competitive landscape.

This is by no means going to take a long time. you'll see changes within 3 years in my estimation.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
How about countries that aren't America? Will HBO stuff all still be Sky Atlantic exclusive in the UK?
I've just signed back up with Sky, after dropping it in April and I was surprised at the lack of legacy HBO content on there. There is actually zero HBO branding on there, where I'm sure there was in the past. GoT is no longer on there to view which I was really surprised at.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Has there been any mention of driving content towards being 4k hdr? Cuz tbh the selection seems much better than Netflix for only 2 bucks above what I'm paying for Netflix. But also I'm more interested in movies than shows so I guess it's where your priorities lie if you have to pick. Netflix has a legit terrible movie collection but the shows are alright.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a steal compared to other streaming services considering the what Warner Media will offer. It's current HBO Go/Now with a shit ton of other content.

It was also revealed that the service will cost a hefty $14.99 per month, which is more than the $12.99 per month it costs for a standard Netflix plan.

I pay $17 and change for the 4k Netflix option. Imo saying "it's hefty" based on what HBO MAX will have is disingenuous.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I really hope all of dc universe gets added sometime. I already am paying for hbo/cinamax and I think it's the same price as hbo max. So if I could drop my dc universe subscription and still watch all of the dc originals I would bee saving money with hbo max.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Warner has by far the best content for my taste. They're pretty much the only company that I can justify paying 15$ for.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Intriguing that HBO Max will have South Park. Obviously Warner couldn't strike a deal with Fox for their animated properties now that they're owned by Disney, so might as well go for something similar.

Hoping eventually we get more original content from CN and Adult Swim. I like that Adventure Time is coming back. I'd like to see more announcements like that.

Wonder if that new Animaniacs show will move from Hulu to HBO. Warner's involved with it, after all.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been 100% confirmed, but HBO cable subscribers still aren't confirmed to receive HBO Max, correct? It's "wait until closer to launch"?

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Looks solid but man is the kids portion really lacking. But they'd blowout every other service if they revived The Amazing World of Gumball for HBO Max

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
"stay tuned for more" so that explains the ambiguity. i'm just straight up not paying extra for this, so i hope it's included with cable. been paying that premium for years :P

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Looks solid but man is the kids portion really lacking. But they'd blowout every other service if they revived The Amazing World of Gumball for HBO Max

Do you mean lacking in original kids content, or just lacking in general?

I would be surprised if HBO Max doesn't become a decent service for kids. Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Sesame Street, and Studio Ghibli seem like a strong lineup of kids content.

Last edited:

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
What? I did not expect for current HBO subs to carry over at the same price. That's a very good deal. I'll be paying the same amount for a lot more content.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Do you mean lacking in original kids content, or just lacking in general?

I would be surprised if HBO Max doesn't become a decent service for kids. Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Sesame Street, and Studio Ghibli seem like a strong lineup of kids content.

Original content. Those new programs from the Cartoon Network side look like things they passed on and more Adventure Time specials isn't anything big since most got sick of the show years before it ended.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Sorry if this has been 100% confirmed, but HBO cable subscribers still aren't confirmed to receive HBO Max, correct? It's "wait until closer to launch"?

It looks like if you get your HBO directly through them or through AT&T and DIrectTV, you will get a free upgrade.

For others, it looks like there needs to be some work involved there, but Warner wants to give it to you , there are just some contract issues to figure out.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
They have Crunchyroll, too? HBO Max is too powerful.
The series will serve as the anchor to HBO Max's young adult animation slate, according to WarnerMedia, a portfolio that will include Adult Swim shows, anime from Crunchyroll, exclusive domestic streaming rights to Studio Ghibli films such as "Spirited Away," and other programs. The streaming service spans a broad range of media brands, including HBO, Warner Bros., CNN, TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network, New Line, and other networks and properties.

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Original content. Those new programs from the Cartoon Network side look like things they passed on and more Adventure Time specials isn't anything big since most got sick of the show years before it ended.

I agree. I was expecting better original content from Cartoon Network's side. New Looney Tunes cartoons could be cool.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
They look like they are ramping up their animation focus, as well as 25% of max original will be for kids.

Yeah I'll give it time. It just feels like HBO Max didn't have this area as a big of a priority till the very end and just wanted to have some form of line-up to show

I agree. I was expecting better original content from Cartoon Network's side. New Looney Tunes cartoons could be cool.

I just don't want this area to be lacking for the sake of protecting the channel's viewer standing. But they have a lot of great legacy IPs like Gumball, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Dexter's Lab, etc. that would be huge if they came back on HBO Max.

As for Looney Tunes, its kind of "wait and see" thing because their modern efforts have been all over the place since they have struggled to make younger audiences get into the franchise.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This is getting a little confusing:

HBO Max is going to be free for a lot of people, but figuring out who those customers are is still difficult to parse. AT&T is going to give its wireless customers who already subscribe to HBO through AT&T's services (like AT&T TV or U-Verse TV) a free one-year subscription to Max. That's approximately 10 million people. The goal is to get those people to eventually continue subscribing to HBO Max once the year is over, dropping the older HBO subscription, which also costs the same $15 per month. Also, subscribers of premium AT&T mobile and broadband services will be eligible for HBO Max bundles at no extra charge.

HBO Max is also going to be a free upgrade for people who already subscribe to HBO Now, but there's a bit of a caveat: it's only free for people who are billed directly through HBO, according to AT&T. That means the offer is only eligible for customers who subscribe through hbonow.com and are billed by HBO. Customers who subscribe to HBO Now via other services, like Amazon Prime or Apple, are not eligible for the free offering.

Looks like you only get HBO Max for free for one year, alongside your paid HBO subscription. At the end of the year, They hope you drop your HBO, and just sub to HBO Max.

Looks like premium AT&T mobile/broadband services if they are getting HBO for free now, would continue to do so. If I am reading this right.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'll give it time. It just feels like HBO Max didn't have this area as a big of a priority till the very end and just wanted to have some form of line-up to show

I just don't want this area to be lacking for the sake of protecting the channel's viewer standing. But they have a lot of great legacy IPs like Gumball, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Dexter's Lab, etc. that would be huge if they came back on HBO Max.

As for Looney Tunes, its kind of "wait and see" thing because their modern efforts have been all over the place since they have struggled to make younger audiences get into the franchise.
The young people need to get in the same way most of us did, reruns of the classics.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Well I subscribe through itunes, so I'm in limbo right now till they announce what's happening. But if they decide not to give me access I'll just cancel my itunes subscription and go through HBO directly.

karmaforgotme

Oct 27, 2017
Knoxville, TN
This is such a great deal. I forgot Warner owns CNN (super exicted for the Anthony Bourdain documentary). I have a feeling in the future you could see a CNN (live) add on for HBO Max.

Looks like you only get HBO Max for free for one year, alongside your paid HBO subscription. At the end of the year, They hope you drop your HBO, and just sub to HBO Max.

Looks like premium AT&T mobile/broadband services if they are getting HBO for free now, would continue to do so. If I am reading this right.

I agree. The way I took it is HBO Now is going to be replaced with HBO Max? The membership would just transfer over for free, and HBO Go would still exist for cable subs. But I know I am wrong since people who sub using iTunes or Prime will still HBO Now it sounds like. I am sure it will cleared up as we get closer to the date.

Last edited:

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
A ton of new stuff for what I'm already paying? Sounds good to me.

I just hope they start supporting LG WebOS like the rest of the major services. Currently have to use the fire tv, and it's not optimal. The current HBO app is one of the worst out there.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Yep! And for the same price. It won't be an additional subscription on top of the already existing HBO package. It's only for the HBO Max exclusives coming from Warner, though. Everything that is not produced by them (like Friends) is not part of the deal.

As a Crave+HBO subscriber, I'm ok with that.

I damn sure aint. We miss out on their catalogue content (including all the Ghibli movies) and also stuff like the Boondocks. basically just getting the originals produced by Warners on Crave (some of which do sound cool) but man I would have gone for HBO Max and cancelled HBO Canada in a flash.

fuck Bell :(

D.Dragoon

Mar 2, 2018
My mind is breaking at the price of this service for 15 bucks with all that comes with it even more than the Disney+ 7 bucks. I want to know how long those services are going to keep those initial prices.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Looks like Crave will be it in Canada, given how HBO content is tied up with that. That will mean all the non-HBO content on HBO Max (Friends, etc.) will need a different streaming home in Canada. Interesting times ahead.
Yeah, pretty much inevitable. I hate the crave app. The quality is shit on a 4k PVR and I can't even get the tv app to run.

So annoying watching massive budget tv shows like GoT on something with nasty crushed blacks, pixilated scenes, etc. Not to mention you pay through the nose for the "privilege".

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

make sense that they would want cable subscribers to eventually transition away from that and onto their own platform

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I get HBO Now free with ATT mobile so..........this is nice, glad to see current subs will transfer

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I damn sure aint. We miss out on their catalogue content (including all the Ghibli movies) and also stuff like the Boondocks. basically just getting the originals produced by Warners on Crave (some of which do sound cool) but man I would have gone for HBO Max and cancelled HBO Canada in a flash.

fuck Bell :(

For all their (many) faults, this thing is not because of Bell. Many of these third-party shows are licensed to other service providers here in Canada. For example, Friends is staying on Netflix over here, so this content is out of reach for any other streaming services. The deals Warner made for all this sweet third-party content, including the Ghibli movies, are only valid in the US. So they couldn't bring them here to Canada. It was expected. I'm just happy we'll have access to the HBO Max new series and first-party exclusives without paying more than we already are.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah thats a silver lining at least. Im really looking forward to tokyo vice after that mann announcement

demonicmurry

Oct 26, 2017

Nice little sizzle reel with bits of footage from those new shows. We'll see how Tooned Out is--didn't realize it was Robert Zemeckis with Christopher Lloyd. But I guess it makes sense since he did Roger Rabbit.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, what is the point of this when the best content is already on HBO GO and NOW. Or are those going to be gone, and the price raised for access to stuff that doesn't really interest me. Also how is this supposed to make them money when I already get HBO streaming through my cable package?

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places

This is silly. They should just auto-convert accounts into HBO Max and then after a couple of years start increasing it 2-3$/mo like a proper trojan horse tactic.

These are introductory prices. In 2025 I'd guess we'll see:
HBO Max - $25/mo
Disney+ - $25/mo (with Hulu merged into it)
Netflix - $20/mo