• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
does radiation really mess you up like that? the guy leaning against the door and the fireman holding the graphite or whatever were fuct in minutes
Look up medical photos of radiation burns, or don't, it is not pretty.

And yes, I don't know if it is known or estimated how much radiation a handful of graphite would have been putting out but it would be an unbelievable fuckton of radiation. Literally holding a piece of the core.

Oct 27, 2017
Am just listening to the podcast. They let everyone use their own accents to avoid any awful Eastern European accents and to allow the actors to concentrate on performance.
*Several minutes in*

"It keeps throwing me off hearing our names and places said by English actors".

However, we both became enthralled pretty quickly and just enjoyed the show.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
does radiation really mess you up like that? the guy leaning against the door and the fireman holding the graphite or whatever were fuct in minutes

Ever had a massive sunburn, with your skin peeling off soon afterwards? Now imagine that happening in a few minutes, with blisters appearing really quick and you dying slowly because radiation sickness can take a while to make the rest of your body fail.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
yes.

Yes, you can get a fatal dose very quickly if you are close to particularly irradiated parts like pieces of the core.
Being close to the core was unnecessary here; being close to the heavily irradiated graphite was enough along with the caesium-137, iodine-131, strontium-90 and other scary-as-fuck radioactive isotopes in the air.

Last edited:

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nagaitis is so damn good but it's looking like he'll die from radiation within a couple of episodes. I hope we get him and Harris onscreen together somehow for a Terror callback.

mZuP5ZJ.jpg
I actually didn't recognize him at first! Well, I did, but didn't know what from. My fiancé called him out. Yeah, I was almost yelling DUDE JUST GO BACK HOME--he's as good as dead :(
I only know about this at a surface level but instructing to cut the phone lines wow wtf
That scene was wild. First I think Maester Luwin is going to lay down some wisdom, instead he gets buttery patriotic and then drops "cut the telephone lines".

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Man what a great first ep.

The bureaucracy is real, 100% how incidents like this would play out. People only hear and see what they will want to see and it just ripples upwards.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'm an absolute sucker for this topic but completely missed this show.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I've been hoping Chernobyl would be good, glad to see there's been positive buzz so far.

Nagaitis is so damn good but it's looking like he'll die from radiation within a couple of episodes. I hope we get him and Harris onscreen together somehow for a Terror callback.

mZuP5ZJ.jpg

That would be amazing! S1 ofThe Terror is still some of the best television I've ever watched, and Harris and Nagaitis gave outstanding and incredibly memorable performances. The premise for S2 sounds interesting, but it'll be hard to live up to to the excellence that was S1.

OP
OP
Wrexis

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

The worker - Aleksandr Yuvchenko - who leaned against the door to keep it open actually lived, but he had to spend a year in hospital and was pretty messed up.

G.O.O.

Oct 26, 2017
Is this supposed to be historically accurate, or just a story based on what happened ? Because if it's the first I've read a lot of criticism about how things are depicted.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
My old man was intrinsically involved with the detection and handling of the fallout from this event over here in good ol' Germany. I think I'd love to watch this with him once it gets localized.

Are there any plans to bring this to an international audience? I personally don't have a problem with English, but my dad is getting on in the years and probably won't be all that enthusiastic about some random english movie series.

It will be on whichever channel has an HBO output deal in that country, so Sky in Germany. Sky are airing it in the UK this week, so I imagine that they will dub it for the German market.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm, would have liked to listen to the podcasts, but they're no longer available unless you become a paying subscriber.

Oct 27, 2017
Great (old) site documenting the area - I love this choice quote tho...

In keeping with a long tradition of Soviet justice, they imprisoned all the people who worked on that shift - regardless of their guilt. The man who tried to stop the chain reaction in a last desperate attempt to avoid the meltdown was sentenced to 14 years in prison. He died 3 weeks later.

http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter2.html

I do remember at the time though the radiation cloud spreading over Europe, and the weather forecasts including the chance of whether the cloud would head in our direction, scary time.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
Watched it last night. Really good first episode. Glad they showed some of the damaged reactor.

The sheer arrogance shown by the communist party and plant managers, arguing the reactor wasn't that damaged and it was only minor radiation levels summed up one of the reasons why the USSR came tumbling down few years later. Lack of accountability.

The fireman that picked up part of the reactor and minutes later his hand was bleeding from the radiation was a good part. Feel sorry for the younger fireman that collapsed at the end.

Next episode should be good as the guy at the beginning (who committed suicide) arrives at Chernobyl and realising how much bad it actually was.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw disturbing parallels to today, which i assume is why they opened with the speech they did, to how disinfo and magical thinking really fuck you up. It's like with climate change, history just repeating itself.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How come there wasn't dosimeters anywhere in Pripyat or even around the plant itself to warn about the massive radiation? Officials are entering the administration building right next to the plant, and there's no meters telling them about the radiation?

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
The cover-up/downplay mentality of the late Soviet Union is more disturbing to me than the actual disaster itself.

It's the cover-up and downplaying of events that wound up making it so much worse. Everyone was afraid to admit that an accident happened. Then everyone was afraid to admit millions of people were in serious danger. Nobody wanted to believe any of it was possible, even though it was happening directly to them.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Watched it last night. Really good first episode. Glad they showed some of the damaged reactor.

The sheer arrogance shown by the communist party and plant managers, arguing the reactor wasn't that damaged and it was only minor radiation levels summed up one of the reasons why the USSR came tumbling down few years later. Lack of accountability.

The fireman that picked up part of the reactor and minutes later his hand was bleeding from the radiation was a good part. Feel sorry for the younger fireman that collapsed at the end.

Next episode should be good as the guy at the beginning (who committed suicide) arrives at Chernobyl and realising how much bad it actually was.
It's not a problem with lack of accountability. It's the opposite. It's too much accountability. People were too afraid to admit a problem because the consequences of that were dire, as they would be blamed and face severe consequences, even if they didn't actually cause it. It's what led to the test even being done on the reactor in the first place as there were workers that didn't want to do it. It's what caused problems with the response to the reactor as admitting a problem was basically damning yourself. One of the biggest problems with Safety is having workers feel like they can say no and stop something if they feel it's unsafe. The conditions in the USSR led to the exact opposite of that, which pretty much led to Chernobyl.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Jesus this show is harrowing as hell. I loved the first episode. I'm hoping it keeps up this level of unease and distress through all five episodes. I'm a little worried they blew their intensity on the first episode by making the meltdown and immediate effects of it so early on. Though I'll admit I'm not super knowledgeable on the events of the Chernobyl meltdown outside of playing games like STALKER and just tertiary knowledge. So I have no clue if there's a lot more mess to come that will keep the tension up.

I also wonder if they'll end up showing the Elephant's Foot in the show, I've always had a fascination with that thing and the fact that it exists.

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
It could happen anywhere.

I highly doubt something big as a Chernobyl happening today will be attempted to be covered up. Look at happened at fukushima after the tsunami the IAEA were all over it.

It's not a problem with lack of accountability. It's the opposite. It's too much accountability. People were too afraid to admit a problem because the consequences of that were dire, as they would be blamed and face severe consequences, even if they didn't actually cause it. It's what led to the test even being done on the reactor in the first place as there were workers that didn't want to do it. It's what caused problems with the response to the reactor as admitting a problem was basically damning yourself. One of the biggest problems with Safety is having workers feel like they can say no and stop something if they feel it's unsafe. The conditions in the USSR led to the exact opposite of that, which pretty much led to Chernobyl.

Yeh you were right a lot of the workers were worried about them being held accountable but they didn't know that the guys that designed the reactor knew about the problem that caused the whole disaster and the workers were never informed because it was covered up and kept secret instead they were told the reactors were flawless and nothing could go wrong as long as they kept to the guidelines. The plant managers were very quick to make sure they could brush the blame off them and onto someone else, because all they cared about was the party and their own goals of promotion within it. Even after the disaster the chief engineer who went to Chernobyl had his report entirely rewritten by another nuclear expert because the communist party didn't want the international community knowing that they knew the design of the reactor had serious flaws.

Last edited:

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
How come there wasn't dosimeters anywhere in Pripyat or even around the plant itself to warn about the massive radiation? Officials are entering the administration building right next to the plant, and there's no meters telling them about the radiation?

There was, they just took a dump on the reading of 3.6 roentgens downplaying it, it was on the ep multiple times

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Holy shit what a first episode.

I was so invested in the episode that the accents didn't bother me at all, didn't take me out of the experience, and I rather take a really good story over hearing fake accents.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I wonder if there will be a scene in which Forsmark power plant in Sweden gets readings about radiation from the accident.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
As soon as I finished watching the first ep last night I was straight onto the wiki page to read up exactly what caused the explosion etc.
Seems like it was a mix of bad luck, design flaws of the reactor and rather a lot of human error.

There are quotes from firemen who were first on the scene and they mention seeing bits of graphite all over the place, and also that engineers were told about the graphite but dismissed it as evidence pointing to the core explosion. I had assumed while watching the show that that part was fabricated, so to find out that's how it actually went down is pretty mind blowing.

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
Watched this with my father last night, who ironically enough worked as an engineer in the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS) when they built up Units 2/3 (and the decommission of Unit 1). We had a nice long conversation about reactor design difference and how Chernobyl's was so flawed from the get go, as well as the dangers and speed of radiation poisoning. He told me a story about when he had to go inside SONGS Unit 1 a year after they shut it down and how even then he was only able to stay in there for 10 minutes before his dosimeter gave him the signal to bail, and on top of that he wasn't allowed to go back inside for another SIX MONTHS afterwards. But yeah, during the show when the nurse asked for iodine pills he was like "Clever girl".

Really gripping first episode, but man the amount of bureaucracy that played out was infuriating.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
Curious how realistic or dramatized the depiction of high intensity short term radiation is.
Like the firefighter holding the chunk like it's nothing and then his hand being a mess minutes later. People coughing up blood, etc.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Curious how realistic or dramatized the depiction of high intensity short term radiation is.
Like the firefighter holding the chunk like it's nothing and then his hand being a mess minutes later. People coughing up blood, etc.
Probably toned down. I imagine it's even more sickening and horrifying in real life.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This show needs more attention. It is very unnerving and very intense. And I dont think there is anything else on TV like it.

Just watched Episode 1. It was really good. In some ways it felt like a big monster movie.

I genuinely felt like this too. Like the radioactive core was the monster in the woods and people kept getting closer and closer to it and then destroyed.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I went on a bit of a Wiki binge yesterday and learned that there was a nuclear accident in Soviet Russia that happened in 1957 but wasn't widely reported until months after the actual event, and was only really exposed in full detail 18 YEARS AFTER. Puts into context the scenes of the suits in the bunker in last night's episode.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyshtym_disaster

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I knew about iodine pills from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. :P

As soon as I finished watching the first ep last night I was straight onto the wiki page to read up exactly what caused the explosion etc.
Seems like it was a mix of bad luck, design flaws of the reactor and rather a lot of human error.

There are quotes from firemen who were first on the scene and they mention seeing bits of graphite all over the place, and also that engineers were told about the graphite but dismissed it as evidence pointing to the core explosion. I had assumed while watching the show that that part was fabricated, so to find out that's how it actually went down is pretty mind blowing.

I didn't realize that thick hunk of shimmery concrete that the firefighter picked up was supposed to be graphite. God damn.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this show has me going on a nuclear related wiki binge.

Like I always told myself getting burned alive would be horrible but after really getting a better picture on radiation poisoning it seems absolutely horrifying. If I was the scientist at the end I would've just took the punishment or bullet for " insubordination "

No way you could've made me look back into that lol

Oct 27, 2017

As the website I posted earlier in the thread made clear, everyone on that shift was put in prison or disappeared by the Communist state.

Even one of the men who attempted to curtail the meltdown in the control room and received a superior amount of radiation was jailed - and died in prison 3 weeks later.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Is this supposed to be historically accurate, or just a story based on what happened ? Because if it's the first I've read a lot of criticism about how things are depicted.
Certain aspects we know are baseless falsehoods that I am curious if they will get into. Western papers reporting thousands of deaths shortly after were fabricated bullshit, as an example. At the time of publishing the number of deaths were relatively low. Talking single to double digits.

Certain details are just flat unknowns so a certain amount of filling in the details will be required. Spoiler: history is absolutely littered with historian's educated guesses to fill in crucial details. How much this will stick to reasonable assumptions remains to be seen.

If someone claims plain mistakes in accuracy my challenge would be to provide a credible source. Out of genuine interest, it is a topic I am deeply interested in learning as much as possible.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
It was the melted nuclear core after it had literally burned right through its containment vessel and dropped through the floor to a lower level.

It was the physical manifestation of death itself. It will remain death itself for several thousand years to come.

I suspected it had something to do with the core. It was burning in such a... supernatural manner. Still waiting for the gif.

Anyway, I wonder how realistic the show is. Both in its portrail of radiation and characters. Seeing that engineering looking down the core and turning back with his face read was terrifying. As scary as how people could denial reality so easily.