• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
The first episode was fantastic, it's filmed so well.
How true are the actions of the workers in the plant in this? What i mean is when the "chief" didn't show any remorse to the other workers being scared shitless and didn't take notice of the radiation effects

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched it.
Fucking hell if anyone ever deserved a faceful of nuclear radiation I'm putting Dyatlov on top of the list.
I hated that guy so much the entire episode

Paul Ritter doing a great a job of portraying the asshole. It's like When actors are so good at being insufferable, except this time it's non fiction.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
How true are the actions of the workers in the plant in this? What i mean is when the "chief" didn't show any remorse to the other workers being scared shitless and didn't take notice of the radiation effects
The denial is almost understandable. To acknowledge reality is to acknowledge that they are likely dead men walking. They cling to the delusion basically as a mental defense mechanism.

And the lower ranked employees don't push back forcefully enough due to the very real threat of repercussions from the party higher-ups; this is even more true in the minutes leading up to the disaster than it is in the aftermath.

Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly intense start, radiation being the silent and invisible monster claiming all these people.

Jarring, besides the willful ignorance is the lack of preparation on of everyone responding. The workers and fire brigades lacking containment suits, the lack of Geiger counters at the plant and control room.

It makes sense the fear of repercussion from the party elites that they want to minimize the event but it's still horrifying to see.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
As far as we know pretty accurate. In fact, the likely unrealistic element was Sitnikov refusing Fomin's order to go to the roof and check. As far as we know he went up without protest.

Once it cuts back to the control room during the safety test, leading up to the explosion, which is almost assuredly coming, then the dynamic between Dyatlov and Akimov will make more sense.

Deleted member 33597

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
The denial is almost understandable. To acknowledge reality is to acknowledge that they are likely dead men walking. They cling to the delusion basically as a mental defense mechanism.
Also, it should be noted that the generally accepted scientific consensus at the time was that reactors couldn't just "blow up" on a whim. They could melt down, but the idea of a massive explosion entirely destroying the reactor vessel would've been completely incomprehensible. That just adds to the denial - even seeing graphite pieces, portions of the control rod channel assembly just lying on the ground isn't enough, because that just doesn't happen. It's incredibly well portrayed here.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That first episode was great!

You really felt the tension, the makeup was on point

The shot with the core gone was something else, I can only imagine how much worse that was in real life

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Also, it should be noted that the generally accepted scientific consensus at the time was that reactors couldn't just "blow up" on a whim. They could melt down, but the idea of a massive explosion entirely destroying the reactor vessel would've been completely incomprehensible. That just adds to the denial - even seeing graphite pieces, portions of the control rod channel assembly just lying on the ground isn't enough, because that just doesn't happen. It's incredibly well portrayed here.
The scene where Dyatlov walks down the hallway with the broken windows and looks down and sees it scattered and pauses for a moment then continues is one of those perfectly wordless scenes.

Dec 4, 2017
Well, that's because reactors don't catastrophically detonate when suffering a LOCA.

With the notable exception of the RBMK-type, due to its very special design particularities.

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Show was intense, but kind of wish they would have showed the events within the site leading up to that, rather then start it away from that and then go there ( or maybe that's for another episode?).

Watching this reminded me of Hisashi Ouchi and what he went through.

For those that don't know he worked the Japanese nuclear fuel conversion company and was exposed to 17 Sv (the highest known dose of radiation at the time) by any human in an accident back in 99.

He didn't die even though they thought anything over 8 Sv was fatal. Instead he was kept alive by doctors, all while his skin was horribly burned, his white blood cells were basically destroyed, his internal organs were damaged, and he was in immense unbearable pain. He begged the doctors to let him die, they didn't. They kept him alive, they wanted to study what radiation did to the human body and basically worked to keep him alive as long as possible to see what it did. He underwent skin transplants, blood transfusions, etc all to keep him alive, probably the absolute most painful thing any human has ever had to endure.

He was kept alive for 83 days until he finally passed, far longer then he should have had to suffer.

You can read more about it if you are curious, but be warned there are pictures, and it is a horrible sight.
https://www.unbelievable-facts.com/2016/12/hisashi-ouchi.html
If you're wondering, the amount of radiation that touching a piece of fragment that came from the core is around 150 to 200 sv, which is around 15-20x what the amount of radiation that took about a month to kill a lot of the plant workers

Wait a minute, the Japanese guy was exposed to 18sv whilst the Chernobyl debris that propel touched was around 150-200 Sv???

Fuuuuuuuuck

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Show was intense, but kind of wish they would have showed the events within the site leading up to that, rather then start it away from that and then go there ( or maybe that's for another episode?).

For those that don't know he worked the Japanese nuclear fuel conversion company and was exposed to 17 Sv (the highest known dose of radiation at the time) by any human in an accident back in 99.

He didn't die even though they thought anything over 8 Sv was fatal. Instead he was kept alive by doctors, all while his skin was horribly burned, his white blood cells were basically destroyed, his internal organs were damaged, and he was in immense unbearable pain. He begged the doctors to let him die, they didn't. They kept him alive, they wanted to study what radiation did to the human body and basically worked to keep him alive as long as possible to see what it did. He underwent skin transplants, blood transfusions, etc all to keep him alive, probably the absolute most painful thing any human has ever had to endure.

He was kept alive for 83 days until he finally passed, far longer then he should have had to suffer.

You can read more about it if you are curious, but be warned there are pictures, and it is a horrible sight.
I felt really uneasy after watching the first episode. Reading about that is.. ugh I can't even imagine what that must've been like for him and his family.

Yeah, there are science fiction stories like the Hulk, Dr Manhattan, the Visible Man etc.. but something like this happening after those science fiction tales/warnings were written is really fucking scary.

Deleted member 11182

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Proof that you don't need celebrities headlining your show and eating at your budget to make good TV, you just need good actors. It was great. Too bad I enjoy binge watching.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly he survived. The guys who went in did not.
"Inside, Yuvchenko met Valeri Perevozchenko and two junior technicians sent to lower the apparently jammed control rods into the core by hand. But, as Yuvchenko explained to them, 'there were no control rods left'. Nonetheless, the four men climbed a stairwell to Level 35 to survey the damage from a ledge 114ft up. Yuvchenko wedged his body against the massive steel and concrete door into the reactor hall to keep it open, while Perevozchenko and the technicians inched on to a ledge to search for the control rod mechanism. 'If the door had closed, they would have been buried there,' says Yuvchenko.

Perevozchenko held out a torch, and the three men gazed with horror into the blazing maw of the ruined reactor: they realised their mission to lower the control rods was absurd. They remained on the ledge for only as long as Yuvchenko held the door: a single minute. But by that time it was too late; all three had received a fatal dose of radiation. 'They were the first to die,' Yuvchenko says, 'in the Moscow hospital.'"

"In Moscow, Yuvchenko is still recovering from the single minute he spent holding open the door for his friends in the early hours of 26 April 1986. That night, when they put him on the plane to Hospital No 6, he thought he would be in the Moscow clinic for a few days. 'It turned out to take a year,' he says. 'And the rest of my life.' The door into the reactor hall had been covered with radioactive dust; Yuvchenko's clothes were soaking wet from steam and escaping cooling water. Where his left shoulder, hip and calf touched the door, he suffered terrible beta and gamma radiation burns. His skin turned black and sloughed off; his left arm was in bandages for seven years. Today his arms and back are scarred violet-red with the results of skin grafting operations so numerous he stopped counting at 15. He doesn't know if the radiation made him infertile, but he and his wife Natalia were advised not to try to have any more children, as a result of possible DNA damage. He still has two weeks of check-ups every year.

Yuvchenko returned to work in 1989, taking a job at the Moscow Research Institute of Theoretical and Experimental Physics. This year, his son Kirill will turn 23; he's currently in his sixth year of medical school in Moscow. 'He's so good,' says Natalia, 'that I think he's a reward for everything that's happened to us.'"

That's amazing wtf

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Also to add to that, him being cold and harsh is not actually a negative. In that situation you want someone who isnt gonna panic.

I really feel like we are judging him too harshly.

Sure, the decisions he makes turned out to be questionable but unless he tells them to immediately abandon the plant and start running they were all fucked anyway and that would make the situation much MUCH worse. Short of that, he does what he can to ensure the entire situation doesnt dissolve into absolute panic.

You also have to consider he is making decisions in a situation NO ONE IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND HAS FACED. Everything before this, it is all theory. We have hindsight. People on the ground had fucking shit.

IMO The only people that were 100% assholes were the ones that refused to evacuate nearby towns.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about the whole theme around lies and I realized... I think there is a lie in nearly every single scene? Maybe even every one.

And some are incredibly subtle. If that was an actual constraint the writer tries to maintain then well done. Goddamn.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I wonder if this will sound weird, but when I go, I hope I die by extreme exposure to radiation. There is just something alluring about your very self being broken down at such a basic level, it's not about biology or life. Not really, it's just physics. I'd like to skip the pain though.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda wanna wait for an Ukrainian dub now (obviously with subtitles so I can actually follow the story). It just seems more... authentic? Weird that I'd even consider this, usually I'm adamant about going with the "orginal version" so I can experience the vision of the director and script writer in its truest form.

And the segment that so far made me genuinely want to jump into the screen and do something, anything, isn't even voiced.
It's the poor sob that got sent to the roof to check. He walks over, looks down into the maw, and the look of absolute despair he shows as he turns around is just... harrowing. I expected it and I defended against it and yet it cleanly punched past my defenses. I really wanna go in and hug him and lie to him that everything's gonna be okay. This man is utterly broken. All others have some hope or belief or cling on in pure denial, but this person has genuinely looked into the abyss, and the abyss has stared back in return, unyielding, unflinching, terrifying in what it is and worse yet, what it represents.

Kinda cheesy and tropey, but what can I say...it worked, for me.

Made doubly weird in that I know that most of the people depicted in this movie are either already dead or still suffering, that the crisis has come and somewhat passed, decades ago. And I knew I'd see plenty of this, and yet I'm still touched emotionally. Good stuff.

Which means I'm entertained which means I enjoy depictions of people dying terrible deaths which means I'm a horrible human being that gets off on catastrophes that killed thousands and doomed hundred of thousands and hey let's plug in "Chernobyl" in youtube and see what comes up I'm bored already.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to sit in my corner and stew in self-loathing until I can look at myself in the mirror again. (*subdued clicking noises*)

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017

Jesus fucking Christ, that's evil.

KINGofCRA5H

Oct 25, 2017
Napa, CA
what a fucking fantastic first episode. absolutely enthralling and intriguing. fascinating. loved the music, cinematography, SFX, everything. those poor fucking souls had no idea. and how INFURIATING the actions of the so called leaders....

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
G'damn, that 200 Roentgen was brilliant.
Really great first episode. Also, the creator/writer was that guy:

795.jpg
Holy shit! I haven't listened to ScriptNotes (the screenwriting advice podcast he co-hosts) in months so I didn't know he was involved going in. It's gonna be special if it keeps the first episode's quality.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I took it that they were all in shock basically.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017

Beyond fucking cruel. I hope his family sued the fuck out of everyone involved.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
A "good" start into the Miniseries, I was always interested in the topic. There are a lot of documentaries out there, I especially "liked" one about the new shelter that's in place now. Don't know if I missed normal news about it, but it's so crazy to see what they had and will have to come up with in order to keep the situation "under control" after all these years. Even the new shelter won't last that long, that's why they are trying to remove parts inside of the reactor, otherwise they would need to build bigger and bigger shelters everytime, in order to secure the site. It's so crazy....

I was born in 1980, so it was part of my childhood growing up in Germany. We were sometimes told not to play outside, throw some stuff away which was outside during certain times when it rained and especially to not pick up and eat mushrooms from the nearby wood, due to contamination of the ground.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I need to know more about this.
Was there some context I'm missing here or was that quote pure nonsense and just plain wrong ? Because I thought it was the latter.
The dosimeter read 3.6 R/h, which as stated is not great, not horrific. Dyatlov ignored the bit about 3.6 being the limit the dosimeter was capable of reading.

It would be like if someone asked what the temperature is outside and you said the "thermostat reads 90F/32C, but that's where it maxes out...", ignoring that last part that it could be much hotter.

And yes, that happened.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Incredibly he survived. The guys who went in did not.
"Inside, Yuvchenko met Valeri Perevozchenko and two junior technicians sent to lower the apparently jammed control rods into the core by hand. But, as Yuvchenko explained to them, 'there were no control rods left'. Nonetheless, the four men climbed a stairwell to Level 35 to survey the damage from a ledge 114ft up. Yuvchenko wedged his body against the massive steel and concrete door into the reactor hall to keep it open, while Perevozchenko and the technicians inched on to a ledge to search for the control rod mechanism. 'If the door had closed, they would have been buried there,' says Yuvchenko.

Perevozchenko held out a torch, and the three men gazed with horror into the blazing maw of the ruined reactor: they realised their mission to lower the control rods was absurd. They remained on the ledge for only as long as Yuvchenko held the door: a single minute. But by that time it was too late; all three had received a fatal dose of radiation. 'They were the first to die,' Yuvchenko says, 'in the Moscow hospital.'"

"In Moscow, Yuvchenko is still recovering from the single minute he spent holding open the door for his friends in the early hours of 26 April 1986. That night, when they put him on the plane to Hospital No 6, he thought he would be in the Moscow clinic for a few days. 'It turned out to take a year,' he says. 'And the rest of my life.' The door into the reactor hall had been covered with radioactive dust; Yuvchenko's clothes were soaking wet from steam and escaping cooling water. Where his left shoulder, hip and calf touched the door, he suffered terrible beta and gamma radiation burns. His skin turned black and sloughed off; his left arm was in bandages for seven years. Today his arms and back are scarred violet-red with the results of skin grafting operations so numerous he stopped counting at 15. He doesn't know if the radiation made him infertile, but he and his wife Natalia were advised not to try to have any more children, as a result of possible DNA damage. He still has two weeks of check-ups every year.

Yuvchenko returned to work in 1989, taking a job at the Moscow Research Institute of Theoretical and Experimental Physics. This year, his son Kirill will turn 23; he's currently in his sixth year of medical school in Moscow. 'He's so good,' says Natalia, 'that I think he's a reward for everything that's happened to us.'"

This is amazing and fucking terrifying.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
The dosimeter read 3.6 R/h, which as stated is not great, not horrific. Dyatlov ignored the bit about 3.6 being the limit the dosimeter was capable of reading.

It would be like if someone asked what the temperature is outside and you said the "thermostat reads 90F/32C, but that's where it maxes out...", ignoring that last part that it could be much hotter.

And yes, that happened.
Thank you, I think I get it now that we're supposed to see them again ignoring reality and dismissing how screwed they are.

I'm still a little confused though, if the upper limit of the dosimeter they have can be generously interpreted as not terrible then what's even the point of having it?

Mugsy

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you, I think I get it now that we're supposed to see them again ignoring reality and dismissing how screwed they are.

I'm still a little confused though, if the upper limit of the dosimeter they have can be generously interpreted as not terrible then what's even the point of having it?
Probably to let them find a minor leak or other such thing. Such as if there actually was radioactive water going out somewhere.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
Probably to let them find a minor leak or other such thing. Such as if there actually was radioactive water going out somewhere.
Seeing how they react in this episode to the obvious clues everywhere, somehow I doubt they'll respond promptly any other time.

" Boss, the dosimeter is maxed out again."
"Well, that's not great but not terrible either. Let's just leave it be for a while maybe it'll sort itself out."

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I made a reference image.

(I left Legasov off for now as might as well do a state / committee follow up image as things move forward.)

Sasha/Sacha is used as a shortened form of Aleksandr (think like Richard -> Dick) and is used interchangeably in accounts of what happened as well as the show.

DdQi2lX.png

Last edited:

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing how they react in this episode to the obvious clues everywhere, somehow I doubt they'll respond promptly any other time.

" Boss, the dosimeter is maxed out again."
"Well, that's not great but not terrible either. Let's just leave it be for a while maybe it'll sort itself out."
You have to keep in mind that those clues while being obvious to us in hindsight, at the time where unthinkable. It simply was impossible for a RBMK Reactor to explode and yet it did. This was a very multifaceted situation where the unthinkable happens, with on top a thick sauce of soviet union cultism and secrecy making everything 10 times more complex.

You think they react dumb to obvious clues, but those clues are only obvious now and presented in this show to the audience in that manner. For the men who lived that, it was a situation that is a sure impossibility at the times, so those clues; debris, radiation, reports of the reactor exploded, vomiting, face burns, where not as obvious. No way would radiation be higher than 3.6 R/h when there is no meltdown and when there is only a fire. In that situation the only thing that could be done to prevent disaster is to cool the reactor so it wont melt down and send the fire department to control the fire.

Dyatlov actually responded rationally, and in a cool controlled manner instead of entertaining wild theories that can cause a panic in the control room.

Last edited:

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Part of it genuinely is "how is that even possible?" but acknowledging the problem as it actually is, is also basically admitting that you (and the rest in the control room) are basically dead already. That's powerful impetus for denial.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
You have to keep in mind that those clues while being obvious to us in hindsight, at the time where unthinkable. It simply was impossible for a RBMK Reactor to explode and yet it did. This was a very multifaceted situation where the unthinkable happens, with on top a thick sauce of soviet union cultism and secrecy making everything 10 times more complex.

You think they react dumb to obvious clues, but those clues are only obvious now and presented in this show to the audience in that manner. For the men who lived that, it was a situation that is a sure impossibility at the times, so those clues; debris, radiation, reports of the reactor exploded, vomiting, face burns, where not as obvious. No way would radiation be higher than 3.6 R/h when there is no meltdown and when there is only a fire. In that situation the only thing that could be done to prevent disaster is to cool the reactor so it wont melt down and send the fire department to control the fire.

Dyatlov actually responded rationally, and in a cool controlled manner instead of entertaining wild theories that can cause a panic in the control room.
Alright, so walk me through this to make sure I understand this correctly.

1. The assumption at the time was that RBMK reactor just COULD NOT explode. Why was this? Iirc the flaws were already known back then?
2. Given that the first assumption was true, the ONLY thing they can do was to make sure a meltdown doesn't happen by cooling the reactor. Ok this makes sense but where's the urgency to confirm the actual situation? And why the hell when that information comes they repeatedly deny it?

So no I really can't agree that Dyatlov did things rationally.

Btw I'm still missing the point of a dosimeter that at its worst only warranted an "eh not great but not terrible". Just why.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so walk me through this to make sure I understand this correctly.

1. The assumption at the time was that RBMK reactor just COULD NOT explode. Why was this? Iirc the flaws were already known back then?
2. Given that the first assumption was true, the ONLY thing they can do was to make sure a meltdown doesn't happen by cooling the reactor. Ok this makes sense but where's the urgency to confirm the actual situation? And why the hell when that information comes they repeatedly deny it?

So no I really can't agree that Dyatlov did things rationally.

Btw I'm still missing the point of a dosimeter that at its worst only warranted an "eh not great but not terrible". Just why.

The number of people who understood the flaws was a very shortlist and not involved in the test. Similarly knowing the flaws existed did not necessarily mean you would have the foresight to connect the various flaws that an explosion was possible. It has been called a lack of imagination for good reason.

An explosion requires some very specific elements to be possible and the belief was that an RBMK reactor lacked a vital element. For the same reason you don't look at your toaster with concern, you don't consider it to function like a bomb. Yes, it has dangerous elements that need to be treated with care (you could burn yourself), a bomb though? Not quite. This is how hubris operates.

And I imagine the dosimeters that were capable of detecting high ranges were extremely expensive and sensitive equipment that you wouldn't just hand out to junior staff. The 3.6 range was useful for spot checking and detecting small leaks that could be dispersed throughout the complex. The range wasn't of extreme importance, think of it closer to a binary yes/no: is there a leak? (In reality: is there a leak worthy of concern because all sorts of things radiate, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are a danger)

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
The number of people who understood the flaws was a very shortlist and not involved in the test. Similarly knowing the flaws existed did not necessarily mean you would have the foresight to connect the various flaws that an explosion was possible. It has been called a lack of imagination for good reason.

An explosion requires some very specific elements to be possible and the belief was that an RBMK reactor lacked a vital element. For the same reason you don't look at your toaster with concern, you don't consider it to function like a bomb. Yes, it has dangerous elements that need to be treated with care (you could burn yourself), a bomb though? Not quite. This is how hubris operates.

And I imagine the dosimeters that were capable of detecting high ranges were extremely expensive and sensitive equipment that you wouldn't just hand out to junior staff. The 3.6 range was useful for spot checking and detecting small leaks that could be dispersed throughout the complex. The range wasn't of extreme importance, think of it closer to a binary yes/no: is there a leak?
I see now, thanks.

About the dosimeter, that's reasonable I guess. As long as they have more advanced measuring devices on hand, just one at least, to bring out whenever the small one maxed out.
In the show it's the lackadaisical response, the lack of urgency surrounding this whole mess that's really hard to stomach for me.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Re-watching ep. 1 and it really does get better upon a another watch.
Yeah, the show drops you right into the thick of things, and taking another run through it is rewarding (and more infuriating). For instance, when you see Dyatlov walk through that hallway with the broken windows the first time and glance down at the rubble, you know it's bad, but it's ambiguous. Second time through, you know you're looking at pieces of graphite that are supposed to be holding the rods that he immediately asking his subordinates to put back in place. And you know he knows. Shit is infuriating.