• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I started reading Midnight in Chernobyl after watching the first episode, it's quite interesting. The book goes into detail on the faults of the reactor design, the busted soviet system and all the key people.

Oct 26, 2017
Such a great show.

I remember this horrible accident from my childhood, I was only 7 at the time but we got some of the radiation here in sweden from this disaster.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a fantastic production and fantastic cast, the sense of foreboding is so intense and not like anything I've seen another show pull off to this level before.

Kind of glad its weekly and I cant binge it, think it would break me if i tried to do three or four episodes in a sitting.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
For those wondering how these people could have possibly missed out on certain "obvious" telltale signs, I suggest you head over to youtube and watch Nickolas Means' 2018 talk on "Who destroyed Three Mile Island". Or use the embed below.

He describes just how the US managed to have a reactor very nearly blow up in its face after just three months of operation, and a more secure design at that. He kinda glosses over some stuff so don't take his account as gospel, but whatever, it's not a talk about the event itself, but a case study for team leads and managers in a software environment, so some shortcuts are acceptable.

Or you could just read the book he not-so-subtly shills for near the end, "The Field Guide To Understanding Human Error" by Sidney Dekker. ;)

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Very impressed by the pilot episode. It's like mainlining dread - like you're expecting cheesy Titanic but you get unrelenting The Exorcist.

I was 11 when the disaster happened and I remember the school tv news bulletin explaining the possibility of a meltdown and showing the projected radiation clouds over Europe. I had forgotten how scary that was to me as a kid but the series brings it back.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Damn, dude. The way they shot and portray the effects of radiation are scary as fuck. I'm glad I gave this a chance. The first episode was really good.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
That was immensely disturbing. So depressing.

Question, the smoke/radiation cloud headed towards the nearest town at the end was discoloring the trees that quickly?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
If you guys want a good minute by minute historical breakdown of Chernobyl, check out the live action reenactment (I'm sure the new series will flashback to the control room too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITEXGdht3y8
For those asking earlier Yuvchenko states here the burns didn't show until he arrived in Moscow, which would be roughly 24 hours later, so the immediate bleeding from the door is probably exaggerated.

https://youtu.be/ITEXGdht3y8?t=2653

Also worth mentioning for my reference image that Sasha/Sacha is used as a shortened form of Aleksandr (think like Richard -> Dick) and get's used interchangeably in accounts of what happened as well as the show.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic first episode. Had a eerie feeling during the whole episode.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't stopped thinking about this episode all week, easily more pumped for the next one than GOT.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic pilot, one of the scariest episodes of TV I have ever seen. Looking forward to the rest...?

Studge

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't stopped thinking about this episode all week, easily more pumped for the next one than GOT.
Same for my wife and I. I don't think there's anything GoT could do in the next two episodes that would make up for the disappointment of the last two. All we want is more Chernobyl. Wish it was a Netflix show.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've had my hand hovering over the HBO Go "cancel subscription" button for the last few weeks just waiting for this last season of GOT to mercifully end....but damn it, then this show came along.

Alright HBO, ya' got my money for another month.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Same for my wife and I. I don't think there's anything GoT could do in the next two episodes that would make up for the disappointment of the last two. All we want is more Chernobyl. Wish it was a Netflix show.
If it was a Netflix show, it wouldn't be nearly as good. HBO arguably produces the best TV-shows. And have done so since the OZ and Sopranos.

DrM

Oct 26, 2017
Slovenia

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna go ahead and repost this for the new episode tonight. I'm sure new people will be showing up on the regular as the show moves forward and I know the names can be tough if unfamiliar.

DdQi2lX.png

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Gonna go ahead and repost this for the new episode tonight. I'm sure new people will be showing up on the regular as the show moves forward and I know the names can be tough if unfamiliar.

DdQi2lX.png
Felt like giving a 2-sentence bio for the plant employees to help keep these people straight. Since episode 1 just sort of jumped in to the aftermath, it's not at all clear who was doing what in the lead-up to the disaster.

Dyatlov: Deputy Chief Engineer. Gave the orders to the staff carrying out the experiment. Disregarded some key safety guidelines for the test, particularly those related to the power level necessary for stable operation.

Akimov: Night Shift Lead. Wanted to abort the test early due to unstable reactor conditions but was overruled. Was the person who finally activated the emergency shutdown, but it was too late and backfired due to a design flaw and ultimately triggered the explosion. Suffered a fatal dose of radiation while opening emergency pump valves.

Toptunov: Reactor Operator. Responsible for the actual movement of control rods in the reactor, which controlled the power level. Also wanted to shut down the test once the power level began to fluctuate wildly. Suffered a fatal dose of radiation while opening emergency pump valves with Akimov.

Stolyarchuk: Pump Operator. Noted irregular/insufficient water levels in the separator drums during the experiment. Survived the incident.

Bryukhanov: Plant Manager

Fomin: Chief Engineer

Perevozchenko: Foreman. Personally witnessed the shield on top of the reactor moving wildly shortly before the explosion but could not reach the control room to report it until after it already exploded. Suffered a fatal dose of radiation while searching for co-workers.

Yuvchenko: Held open the door to the reactor room for 2 junior technicians who had been ordered to manually lower the control rods (after the reactor had already exploded). While all 3 suffered what should have been fatal doses, Yuvchenko survived with serious injuries.

Stinikov: Deputy Chief Operational Engineer. Filled in for Dyatlov on the night of the incident after the latter fell ill. Suffered a fatal dose of radiation while observing damage from the roof.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Felt like giving a 2-sentence bio for the plant employees to help keep these people straight. Since episode 1 just sort of jumped in to the aftermath, it's not at all clear who was doing what in the lead-up to the disaster.
👍

If I had to make a guess at when we cut back to the test and the lead up to the explosion it will be during the trial. It seems the most sensible time to flashback details in an environment that exposition can be easily dropped.

Also I wanted to make a wild guess at what the last shot of the series will be based on the approach and imagery so far.

An extended shot of plant or flower blooming in the Red Forest.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Was really looking forward to this post GOT last night to get the foul taste of that episode out of my mouth. One day later works too, episode 2 up

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
"I prefer my opinion to yours", aka 2019 in six words

Edit: OMG, rational statements cutting through mountains of bullshit is the most satisfying thing on this show

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Oh my god I had no idea about that possible explosion at the plant that was averted. The consequences of that had occurred... just horrifying , I can't even

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I didn't know about how it could have been much, much worse. I hope they build statues and remember those three men in Russia. True fucking heroes.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 2 was astonishingly good. Even better than the first.

One question...why happened to the helicopter? Was it just the heat that did it in?