• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Hd65jVcl.jpg

Created by Craig Mazin
Written by Craig Mazin
Directed by Johan Renck

Jared Harris as Valery Legasov
Stellan Skarsgård as Boris Shcherbina
Emily Watson as Ulyana Khomyuk

---------------------

Episode 1: 1:23:45
06 May 2019

Episode 2: Please Remain Calm
13 May 2019

Episode 3: Open Wide, O Earth
20 May 2019

Episode 4: The Happiness of All Mankind
27 May 2019

Episode 5: Vichnaya Pamyat
03 June 2019

---------------------

---------------------

GwBPbmW.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wrexis

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Episode 1 aired last night. Fantastic piece of work. The only thing more scary than the radiation was the bureaucracy.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
First episode was great, I'm hooked. Also, cross-posting from the other thread, but here's a link to the companion podcast for the show. Craig Mazin, the show's creator, goes into good detail about how and why he wanted to make the show as well as some other interesting bits of info about the real incident and how the show depicts the events as they unfold.

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Thought episode one was excellent as well. It had me reading wikis on the event/nuclear power in general for hours.

OP
OP
Wrexis

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Which is telling.

Scary to think the brass was literally standing next to the smouldering wreckage with their fingers in their ears going 'this isn't happening, nothing to see here.'

What got me was

They're still arguing with the guy they sent up to the roof at the end of the episode, even though his face is pretty much falling off.

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Planning to watch it tonight, been reading some of the spoilerfree impressions on here and glad to see it was all positive.
Really been anticipating this but also kind of dreading it, it's such a terrible, terrible thing to happen.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Really well done production, the cheer dread of the situation is very well recreated. That denial of what others seen in top levels is so typical and maddening.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that the guy who wrote Scary Movie 3 & 4 (which, admittedly, are guilty pleasures of mine. Especially 3) wrote something as good as this (based on the 1st episode) is pretty awesome. Good for him.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really dug how the plant manager showed an intelligent person rationalizing things to fit their preferred reality, regardless of what was actually happening.

Tugatrix

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
after the thechnician shows up with a radiation tan the plant manager still screams with the guy, so enfuriating

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just a warning, many of the reviews out there spoil the events of the remaining episodes. Yeah, it's history so its technically hard to "spoil" it in the traditional sense, but if you're ignorant to the history of how the rest of the events play out and want to be surprised, I'd avoid them.

Apparently episode 4 is when:

They send a soldier out to shoot all of the abandoned dogs in Pripyat and dump'em into a mass grave :(

Oct 27, 2017
Looks amazing but my girlfriend is from the Ukraine and will likely spend the initial watching complaining about British actors and/or terrible Russian/Ukie accents.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome first episode, glad this got an OT. Man, I can't stop thinking about it at work. Gonna be a long week.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching the episode, this may very well be the most haunting moment for me - the actual phone call to the Chernobyl dispatch + fire brigade after the explosion happened.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How many people actaully died at the plant as they were checking out the plant for what whappened? Wiki says only one man died immediately from radiation, but didn't a lot more die in this episode?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
How many people actaully died at the plant as they were checking out the plant for what whappened? Wiki says only one man died immediately from radiation, but didn't a lot more die in this episode?
It can take days, months, years. It's horrifying. The ones who were closest to the radioactive material get it the worst. Like that one guy who picked it up but he could live for a long while after that, relatively speaking.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
jared harris is one of the best living actors. this and The Terror establish him as the go-to guy to bring intense gravitas to your limited series.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Found the English accents a bit jarring but otherwise this was really great. Really strong direction/performances/cinematography. Even the CGI was great and that's usually an area even HBO isn't very consistent (looking at you, GOT and your awful dragon-riding effects).

Deleted member 4434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the episode. It was really well made but man it's so depressing.
I wouldn't binge this even if I could.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha yeah, Mazin was the guy who dished on college Cruz.

This show is fantastic so far--I really hope it continues. Listening to the podcast, it feels like we're in good hands.

It's also the kind of show that makes you realize how stupid spoiler culture can be. We know most of these guys aren't making it out alive and the show was still tense as hell.

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible first episode, and fittingly bleak (even if the bird dropping dead behind the kids was a bit much).

But I'm at a loss. I'm not sure which factoid is funnier that Craig Mazin was, as pointed out by cheeseholidays Ted Cruz' college roommate or that Johan Renck, the director, had a moderately successful music career in the 90s