• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
That episode was incredible. Helicopter scene was horrifying as was the last scene. Straight up pit in my stomach watching the flashlights go out as the dosimeters were blaring.

I am so damn happy to have started watching this show. Really mitigates the GOT situation quite a bit lol.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 2 was astonishingly good. Even better than the first.

One question...why happened to the helicopter? Was it just the heat that did it in?

It collided with a crane wire. Here's actual footage of the event - it's not graphic or anything, as the helicopter fell behind a building - but it's still freaky as hell.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It collided with a crane wire. Here's actual footage of the event - it's not graphic or anything, as the helicopter fell behind a building - but it's still freaky as hell.

Collided with a wire? It didn't looked like that on the show, the comments and imagery made it seem like the radiation fried the internal systems or everyone died/passed out from the radiation or something like that.

I have to watch it again

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely hit the wires in the show. I was specifically looking for it.

And fuck, that last scene.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely hit the wires in the show. I was specifically looking for it.

And fuck, that last scene.
Did the radiation cause them to crash into the wire? Like the implication seemed to be that the electronics were fried while passing through the cloud (ie the radio crackling, then going silent) and they lost control

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Collided with a wire? It didn't looked like that on the show, the comments and imagery made it seem like the radiation fried the internal systems or everyone died/passed out from the radiation or something like that.

I have to watch it again

The show did show it, but it wasn't clear enough.

Honestly, I thought that as well. I thought the radiation killed the pilot and crew instantly and thus the heli crashed into the wires.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

I have to watch it again

It definitely did, here's a screenshot from the moment in the show where the blades make contact with the wires:

HHUNWbL.jpg

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Did the radiation cause them to crash into the wire? Like the implication seemed to be that the electronics were fried while passing through the cloud (ie the radio crackling, then going silent) and they lost control
If I recall correctly from the real crash I believe they were trying to avoid the crane itself and either lost sight or didn't realize the wires were there. The show did give a more general sense of confusion / disorientation with the radiation but I don't know how close to reality that was. I also don't think it was one of the first helicopters that crashed, it was further along, but I could be mistaken.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Said it earlier, but people acting and speaking rationally on this show is immensely satisfying. Like Shcherbina cutting through the bullshit about graphite on the roof

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Also, Fomin and Bryukhanov being shut down by Shcherbina as a thank for your service we are in charge now, BE GONE, was a hell of a moment. I have no idea if that is how it went down, probably not, but in the realm of dramatic historical fiction. Power move.

I only feel a tiny bit bad about how shit is about to go down for them.

Aug 27, 2018
Said it earlier, but people acting and speaking rationally on this show is immensely satisfying. Like Shcherbina cutting through the bullshit about graphite on the roof
It's super nice to see the few players cutting through the bureaucracy and just tell them that they are basically endangering the world by acting ignorant. And people actually listening to them.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, I love listening to the podcast after watching the episodes - they go into way more detail about the real events depicted in the show. It really sheds a whole new light on each episode.

Craig Mazin mentioned that one scene they would have loved to film for this episode but ran out of time was a scene showing how the Swedes first detected that something had gone wrong in Chernobyl. Apparently one of the workers there was walking outside and got a piece of fallout from Chernobyl on his shoe and once he went back inside the radiation caused an alarm in their facility to go off.

Like, wow.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, I love listening to the podcast after watching the episodes - they go into way more detail about the real events depicted in the show. It really sheds a whole new light on each episode.

Craig Mazin mentioned that one scene they would have loved to film for this episode but ran out of time was a scene showing how the Swedes first detected that something had gone wrong in Chernobyl. Apparently one of the workers there was walking outside and got a piece of fallout from Chernobyl on his shoe and once he went back inside the radiation caused an alarm in their facility to go off.

Like, wow.
Several shows do the follow up "let's talk about it" format. But I would love it so much more if it were with the writer/s more often like this so they can provide the important and much needed context behind certain decisions.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
Asshole turns to Fomin instantly and says "Fomin? Why did he see graphite burning on the roof?"

Fuck these two guys.

Also holy shit, the scene where Pikalov says he'll drive the truck.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Also holy shit, the scene where Pikalov says he'll drive the truck.
I'm glad this element is there, and honestly if anything is probably being overly downplayed as to not come across heavy handed.

The general stoicism is one of the through-line elements you find across the board in essentially all accounts around this.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
"We need to at least evacuate Pripyat"

"That's my decision to make"

"Then make it"

"I've been told not to"

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
"We need to at least evacuate Pripyat"

"That's my decision to make"

"Then make it"

"I've been told not to"
The line of buses stretching for miles down the road into the horizon was another subtly haunting shot

It is a bit odd that the evacuation was barely lingered on in the show, I thought more time would be dedicated to that

Riven

Oct 27, 2017
I am the type of person who enjoys watching horror movies and this mini-series has me terrified more-so than many horror movies I have seen.