• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GreenMachine

Oct 27, 2017
Dear God. I'm afraid to ask for pictures just out of morbid curiosity
i'm definitely not posting pictures but if you're really curious this description from that big chernobyl imgur post that i think was linked in here covers it accurately i believe and is so gruesome i'm hiding it behind a spoiler tag out of courtesy
Once exposed, nausea and vomiting will begin almost immediately, and within a short space of time your tongue and eyes will swell, followed by the rest of your body. You'll feel weakened, as if the strength has been drained from you. If you've received a high dose of direct exposure - as in this scenario - your skin will blanche dark red within moments, a phenomenon often called nuclear sunburn. An hour or two after exposure, you'll gain a pounding headache, a fever and diarrhoea, after which you'll go into shock and pass out.
After this initial bout of symptoms, there's often a latent period during which you'll start to feel like you're recovering. The nausea will recede, along with some swelling, though other symptoms will remain. This latent period varies in duration from case to case, and of course it depends on the dose, but it can last a few days. It's cruel because it gives you hope, only to then get much, much worse. The vomiting and diarrhoea will return, along with delirium. An unstoppable, excruciating pain seethes through your body, from the skin down to your bones, and you'll bleed from your nose, mouth and rectum. Your hair will fall out; your skin will tear easily, crack and blister, and then slowly turn black.
Your bones will rot, forever destroying your ability to create new blood cells. As you near the end, your immune system will completely collapse, your lungs, heart and other internal organs will begin to disintegrate, and you'll cough them up. Your skin will eventually break down entirely, all but guaranteeing infection. One man from Chernobyl reported that when he stood up his skin slipped down off his leg like a sock. At high doses, radiation will change the very fabric of your DNA, turning you quite literally into a person other than the one you were before. And then you'll die, in agony.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me, this show. Less action in this one but the non-ending dread just continuing, if not increasing dramatically due to the radiation victims. Some truly horrifying stuff.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus man, mad props to the makeup team on this show - those guys in the hospital looked fucking horrifying. I legitimately had to turn away from the screen when they showed Ignatenko, and I'm never squeamish when it comes to blood and gore in film.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After the clusterfuck that GOT turned into I refuse to allow some of you to take my love for this show with your " Well, actuaaaally" comments , don't put that evil on me

ehh i appreciate people chiming in with the corrections - i'm unlikely to read up much more on the subject, and i'd rather have someone clarify what actually happened than be stuck with any inaccurate misconceptions. i don't think pointing out inaccuracies necessarily needs to detract from the overall quality or one's enjoyment of something that takes creative liberties with non-fictional material. for example The Social Network is far from a totally accurate portrayal of it's subject, but it's a fantastic movie nonetheless.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Miners doing about their business while their dongs are flailing about.

Also the hospital scenes we're working tough to watch. I don't know what I would have done. I probably would have chosen suicide before all the deterioration set it. Was euthanasia an option in USSR? Jeez. Poor souls.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Ep. 3 of the podcast is up:

Can't wait to listen tomorrow, this has been such a great companion piece of content.

The previews for the next few episodes looked fucking insane. I actually said "what the fuck" at some of the clips in there. Seems like this episode was designed as a "breather" in between more insanity, despite how tense and dreadful it still was.

This show is the best thing on TV in 2019.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Miners doing about their business while their dongs are flailing about.

Also the hospital scenes we're working tough to watch. I don't know what I would have done. I probably would have chosen suicide before all the deterioration set it. Was euthanasia an option in USSR? Jeez. Poor souls.
Yeah I was thinking that too. I definitely would have preferred to just end it. :/

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to know why it blew up now. It cant just be incompetence, but im sure that was a huge factor. I feel like there was some sort of design flaw or something.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
This episode is nightmare fuel. I feel so bad for the firefighters wife man, watching your husband looking worse than Anakin at the end of episode 3.

littleworm

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to know why it blew up now. It cant just be incompetence, but im sure that was a huge factor. I feel like there was some sort of design flaw or something.

In truth there are several events that led up to the meltdown, the part specifically alluded to in the episode regarding the shutdown button, was that the control rods for the reactor were tipped with graphite, which caused the reactor to increase the amount of energy and heat that was released. Basically imagine if you were driving a car and when you hit the break the car actually sped up before it began to slowdown.

Oct 29, 2017
This miner chief is great. Always pleasant to see that a show can portrait any sort of profession as having intelligent individuals. TV almost feels weird when there is an unusual amount of smart people.

Last edited:

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Oof they do a good job in those burn depictions. Seeing that liquefactive necrosis and that edematous skin is truly something else. Cant imagine the pain - especially since there is no hope cause their very DNA had been destroyed beyond repair.

For those who are interested - this is Hisashi's DNA karyotype [the Japanese Technician who experienced the highest amount of radiation (I think?) to live (for like 80 days or so)]
Hisashi-Ouchi-Tokaimura-Nuclear-Accident-2.jpg

Its supposed to look like this:

As you can see...the DNA is fragmented beyond any reasonable repair mechanisms (which can repair strand breaks)
I can't imagine the pain and the edema sets in. God damn man.

Oct 25, 2017
In truth there are several events that led up to the meltdown, the part specifically alluded to in the episode regarding the shutdown button, was that the control rods for the reactor were tipped with graphite, which caused the reactor to increase the amount of energy and heat that was released. Basically imagine if you were driving a car and when you hit the break the car actually sped up before it began to slowdown.

There's more to it than that, though who knows how deeply the show will go into it. The combination of the reactor design with the very low power test they were trying to run that evening put the reactor into a very unstable state. The insertion of the graphite tipped control rods ignited an already deteriorating situation.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The make up in this series is straight up nightmare fuel. I'm used to see this shit on Fallout and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but to know it all happened for real just kills you. Basically rotten corpses but still alive, goddamn.
Loved the chief miner character by the way.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn that shit with the wife is rough to watch. Tragically stupid and I feel awful for all of them.

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
I wasn't ready for some of the hospital scenes. Jesus christ, beyond horror. Thank god they spared us the face of the one control worker. Radiation is just unbelievably fucked and scary. This show is dread on another level. I both eagerly anticipate and loath the coming of each new episode.

Edit: "By tomorrow you'll be begging for a bullet" doesn't even begin to describe what is in store for the highly exposed. Fuck.

JackBauer24

Oct 28, 2017
We're going to have a baby.

I wasn't ready for this scene. These poor people didn't know anything about what was in store for them.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
the general population definitely didn't know what was coming but the firefighters wife deserves a Darwin award.

1. don't stay longer than 30 minutes
2. don't touch him
3. fuck well at the very least, don't go behind the plastic for god's sake

it seems that there was enough radiation to screw with her pregnancy - how much radiation were these guys giving off?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The make up in this series is straight up nightmare fuel. I'm used to see this shit on Fallout and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but to know it all happened for real just kills you. Basically rotten corpses but still alive, goddamn.
Loved the chief miner character by the way.
"We've still got our fucking hats on, don't we" or something or other. Love him

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brutal

Fucking brutal

The make up effects on this episode were horrific... Nothing I've ever seen on TV can even compare to this. Not even all that shit Hannibal pulled off. I'm 100% glad they didn't show Akimov's face. We already had a look at Tuptonov and Dyatlov, so I respect that they showed restraint there. Gotta be honest, like some of you guys I was really getting annoyed with Lyudmilla (the wife) constantly ignoring orders and putting herself in danger. Like, incredibly annoyed. But, by the end I kinda understood her actions. She clearly didn't give a fuck about herself. She just wanted to be by her husband's side who she she has shown since ep 1 to be deeply in love with. Of course, she needed to have consideration for the baby, but I kinda understand her feelings.

Another great episode

ardyes

Oct 28, 2017
Oof they do a good job in those burn depictions. Seeing that liquefactive necrosis and that edematous skin is truly something else. Cant imagine the pain - especially since there is no hope cause their very DNA had been destroyed beyond repair.

For those who are interested - this is Hisashi's DNA karyotype [the Japanese Technician who experienced the highest amount of radiation (I think?) to live (for like 80 days or so)]

Its supposed to look like this:

As you can see...the DNA is fragmented beyond any reasonable repair mechanisms (which can repair strand breaks)
I can't imagine the pain and the edema sets in. God damn man.

https://www.unbelievable-facts.com/2016/12/hisashi-ouchi.html
omg nightmare fuel

Last edited by a moderator:

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad I watched this in the morning and not yesterday night. Nightmare fuel.

And yeah, the wife's action were stupid, but I understood her.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
*episode starts*

Me: Wait, why does the rating table have 'nudity' in it?

(...)

Me: Ohhh right.

Other than that brief moment of levity, I was drinking from the fire-hose of dread.