• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
Chernobyl/Simpsons crossover memes were not something I knew I needed but are providing me with great joy

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
There's potential.

c7c2nqsefy231.jpg
haha

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love that nobody actually believes the masks will work. Even the guys who are wearing the lead underwear just leave them dangling around their necks.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When is this thing releasing on iTunes, anyone know?
I haven't watched it yet, I want to grab it there.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
The memes are hilarious, but I feel bad for laughing knowing that Dyatlov also died from radiation poisoning.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how it really all went down with Dyatlov that night. Surely he couldn't have been that much of a disaster. lol

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I can't fucking stand the way Reddit and YouTube watches and discusses shows, movies, or whatever media. They are dens of cynicism, nhilism, and excessive over analysis.

Give me the most obnoxiously sentimental and earnest analysis any day over punchy ironic spicy takes with a superiority complex over compensating for deep insecurities.

I've tried not to be the no fun police but we're discussing it so that's my feelings.

(I don't think you are a bad person for laughing at a meme, to be clear.)

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
The finale was incredible. Honestly I was moved by the final part of Legasov's testimony and the voice over that concluded the show was just perfection.

Hope people take the right lessons from it. (They won't.)

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I can't fucking stand the way Reddit and YouTube watches and discusses shows, movies, or whatever media. They are dens of cynicism, nhilism, and excessive over analysis.

I'm the same, call it a blissful ignorance but I just watch a show to enjoy it, not pick it apart until I ruin it for myself. I lost interest in other people's opinion after Game of Thrones, the shit people spouted was embarrassing.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017

Give me the most obnoxiously sentimental and earnest analysis any day over punchy ironic spicy takes with a superiority complex over compensating for deep insecurities.

I've tried not to be the no fun police but we're discussing it so that's my feelings.

(I don't think you are a bad person for laughing at a meme, to be clear.)
Is era better then? Because if it is I sure as shit don't need to be going to the other two.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I wonder how it really all went down with Dyatlov that night. Surely he couldn't have been that much of a disaster. lol

Dyatlov's version of events shows him to be way more fastidious about safety protocols and calm than other testimonies have painted him. His statement is recorded here, it's an interesting watch.

However, his version is directly contradicted by what Toptunov and Akimov said before they died - technical decisions aside, they separately testified to Dyatlov's rage and pigheadedness when contradicted. His abrasive demeanour prior to the disaster is well documented.

His utter denial of the situation comes mostly from what Fomin and Bbryukhanov said and they had huge incentives to shift blame to him, so that's harder to nail down. In his own version, he said he knew it was bad right away (although not quite how bad.)

The series made the right call going with the version of the other operators. However, they're also fair about Dyatlov's ignorance of the scram button being a detonator instead of a failsafe.

Last edited:

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Is era better then? Because if it is I sure as shit don't need to be going to the other two.
I don't frequent many OTs here either lol, the internet in general is a bit of a post modern ironic hell hole.

I'm also not saying irony has no place, and I'm guilty of over doing it myself. I try to avoid places that relish in it to keep myself in check.

If you are looking for the 101 course level of this stuff just watch this. Keeping in mind it is incredibly hard to walk away from actual nuclear apocalypse with out a hint of cynicism and maybe we shouldn't.

Last edited:

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Confirmed 100% sensationalism by a website that ranks its status as "Unknown."
There's a lot written at link, they discuss the rumor from a lot of different angles. It seems like an urban legend that started right after the accident and persists to this day. I would love to see firmer evidence one way or the other, but it doesn't exist. I find the discussion at that link plenty persuasive however.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
There's a lot written at link, they discuss the rumor from a lot of different angles. It seems like an urban legend that started right after the accident and persists to this day. I would love to see firmer evidence one way or the other, but it doesn't exist. I find the discussion at that link plenty persuasive however.
its odd to me that the show would manage to find out that the 3 water drainers are not actually all dead contrary to popular opinion, but then make something up in its entirety and then double down on it in the end.

fdst1983

Aug 26, 2018
The first two episodes are incredible well shot.... What can I expect from the remaining episodes?

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to watch the finale. Like the rest of the miniseries, it was phenomenal. That final montage was so incredibly harrowing and poignant. This might be the finest miniseries ever created and it stands toe to toe with all of HBO's titans.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
I think my favorite scene in the finale is the moment between the two of then outside the courtoom.....fucking comrade <3

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
When they revealed Khumyuk is a representation of a group of scientists, all my minor complaint about this show is gone. Damn fine effort.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Did they ever give a reason on why they didn't show/mention the elephant's foot?

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this and it was absolutely phenomenal. I don't think I've ever been so tense watching a TV show before.

Radiation is terrifying.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, after this happened, was there serious discussions about banning nuclear reactors?

This might be my favorite TV series ever, i'm so hooked and i'm going down a rabbit hole on google trying to scrape every little crumb of information i can get about the reactor.

vrcsix

Oct 29, 2017
Quick question, after this happened, was there serious discussions about banning nuclear reactors?

Yes. Italy held a series of referendums following the incident and all power plants were subsequently shut down. Sweden had already held a non-binding referendum following the 1979 Harrisburg incident, in which the question was not if but rather how we should phase out nuclear power. So discussions were already taking place - and still are to this day.