• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd like My Life In Gaming and/or DF to look into mCable for old consoles. All my consoles that are 1080p or under goes into a HDMI switcher before the TV. Maybe it would be a cool idea for the mCable to be plugged into the output?

I'm guessing this cable works best with polygonal games. Perhaps my N64 with UltraHDMI, VI De-Blur and AA removing GameShark codes can look even better with a modern AA solution on top of the clean image.

It could go on the end of my GCVideo X.

I'm not aware of an actual good HDMI out method for the Wii, but maybe I can go Wii > Component > Roxio GameCap (or component to HDMI converter) > mCable > TV?

Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I'd like My Life In Gaming and/or DF to look into mCable for old consoles. All my 1080p stuff goes into a HDMI switcher before the TV. Maybe it would be a cool idea for the mCable to be plugged into the output?

There's a digital foundry video on it but they don't try it on old consoles. They do mention lower resolution images see the most benefit though. Probably a bad idea to connect it to your box out due to the limitation of it needing a native res signal to work best though.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Anyone know what is the absolute cheapest capture device to get this http://ptbi.metaclassofnil.com to work for old consoles like ps3, 360? Won'tbe using it to capture any video, just want to apply SMAA to old games. I guess it needs to be able to accept 1080p 60hz + 7.1 pcm audio.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Digital Foundry have done a review of the mCable.

https://youtu.be/ANIlyANoFxI

A summary:

- does help for 1080p or lower resolutions
- No benefits if you are playing at 4k i.e on a One X or Pro
- Barely any additional input lag of 1ms
- Works best on Switch titles
- Is ''expensive" but worth it if you want to sharpen iQ of games where AA is limit
He mentioned for 720p games like dqb, we have to adjust switch resolutions to 720p under the console settings.. what a pain on the arse.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of posts saying how the mCable Gaming Edition really improves Switch games. How does it fare for PS3, or more specifically, PS1/PS2 games on the PS3?

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone tried this with PSVR? Curious if it would improve aliasing used between the PS4 and the processing box.

lilojigsaw

Chicken Chaser
Mar 1, 2018
Anyone tried this with PSVR? Curious if it would improve aliasing used between the PS4 and the processing box.

The link to the eurogame article states it does not. This is a quote from the article "The cable also supports 1080p input at 120Hz, potentially making it a candidate for PSVR, but we found that placing the cable in between the PS4 and the break-out processor box didn't work - and to be fair, asking the mCable to anti-alias the raw lens-warped output of the console would be too challenging anyway."

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most people would benefit more if they set up their TV correctly. At least 90% of "gamer" are not able to do that.

For example its rare to find someone who has not some sort of zoom modus activated on the TV. I recently fixed this by a friend who had always complaint about Switch docked mode "low resness".

At least he managed to activate the TVs game modus (something most people don't know about) but he had not the native sync but a zoom modus activated so the TV cut of 1/3 of the screen and and enlarged the rest. Its the standard mode on most TVs.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The difference on Switch is really noticeable, WOW.
Reminds me of the S-video cable in the SCART days :D

I really want one.

jordn613

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably being daft and lazy, but if I use this with a Switch directly to my new LG B7 OLED, it'll improve the picture quality? In what way(s)? specifically?

Solidus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I'd ever pony up the $100+ these cost, but I was looking at the Gaming Edition mCable on Amazon (you know... for fun) and found this review with photo comparisons: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1VWWBJ8JMFPL0/

The Super Metroid and Ice Climbers comparisons really turned me off, especially since I'd be getting this for my Switch which will have VC at some point in addition to all the pixel-art indie games already on it. I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I use a regular HDMI cable for 16/8-bit games, then plug the mCable in for 3D games. Too much hassle.

I really like the technology though.

Dr_Norimaki

Dec 17, 2017
Has anyone tried the mCable with Yakuza 6 on Ps4? The game has some aliasing problems and maybe this cable makes a difference.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
It's not the gaming one. The gaming cable has red parts. Gold is for the cinema edition. This discount though !

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not the gaming one. The gaming cable has red parts. Gold is for the cinema edition. This discount though !
Hmm, what's the difference?

Edit: Oh only one does post process SMAA.

What are the main benefits to this one, and as the person above said, does it not properly transmit HDR metadata?

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These cables don't make the image better but only change it, for worse or for better lies in the eye of the beholder.

Anyway some post processing functions of modern TVs could do this job equally good.

Guardians

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
I'm streaming with my Nintendo Switch :) So I haveec one HDMI cable that goes into my PC (Elgato HD60 Pro In) and one HDMI cable that goes from my PC (Elgato HD60 Pro Out) to my 4K monitor. Would I need to buy two HDMI mcable now because of my setting, or would be one enough?

Oct 25, 2017
If only smart TV's could allow plugin support.

Would love some CRT shaders and temporal aliasing options.

Anyone know how to hack Bravia's ? lol.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
That's true, but TV makers haven't added post processing AA option. They totally should make that available in their game modes.
That partially defeats the point of game mode, which is to have as few as possible post processing effects to minimize lag. Though these cables show it's possible, I wonder how many TVs actually have the oomph to do so in real time in 4k right now.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not too worried about the 4K HDR cable yet... as I am using this primarily for the Switch

A 4K HDR cable would be great if you're like me with a bunch of stuff connected to a receiver and a single cable going to the TV. By replacing my output cable with one of these I could get the benefit of the cable processing on all my HD components without losing the 4K HDR output from my PS4 Pro and PC.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks.. I'm going to get one.. Is it true about setting it to 1080p for 4k tv and 720p if its a 1080p tv? (I think i said that right)
The idea is you want to change the Switch's native resolution to match the native resolution of the game you are playing

So if the game is 1080p native, set Switch to 1080p

If the game is natively 720p or closer to that, set the Switch to 720p as the cable kicks in with smoothing and enhancing features closer to their native res'

StealthieOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dfw
The idea is you want to change the Switch's native resolution to match the native resolution of the game you are playing

So if the game is 1080p native, set Switch to 1080p

If the game is natively 720p or closer to that, set the Switch to 720p as the cable kicks in with smoothing and enhancing features closer to their native res'

How are you determining the native res of each game?