• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
I backed the Indie GoGo for this to use my Wii (and maaybe PS2) on my 4K TV. Should I get a Wii2HDMI to convert the Wii to HDMI or is there a component converter that people would recommend?

I'm not deep in the retro scene, so something cheap and cheerful would be fine.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Just bought the gaming cable. Is it sufficient to replace the output on my 4K HDR receiver to my TV with this or do I need to manage this cable individually per console the annoying manual way and use it only on retro consoles that don't have 4K and HDR?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought the gaming cable. Is it sufficient to replace the output on my 4K HDR receiver to my TV with this or do I need to manage this cable individually per console the annoying manual way and use it only on retro consoles that don't have 4K and HDR?
The cables don't support 4k/60 unless in passthrough mode, and then they don't have any effect on retro systems.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
my Wii is ready for that mClassic goodness

JEl9mFx.jpg

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
The cables don't support 4k/60 unless in passthrough mode, and then they don't have any effect on retro systems.

How do I switch it to passthrough mode? I'm ok with switching it on and off for retro systems if it's not too cumbersome. I just don't want to have to plug and unplug HDMI cables to all the systems in my receiver every time I want to play a game

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
It's an internal mod called "Wii Dual" that adds HDMI and RGB output to your Wii with zero lag as a true digital-to-digital upgrade solution. It's pretty much the same concept as UltraHDMI for the N64 or DCHDMI for the Dreamcast.

That looks really nice... though I'm not likely to tackle that installation. 😅

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
So wait is this good for PS3 forced to 720p? Will it work if the tv is a 4k tv?

Also work for PSVR games using Pro to further help with jaggies?

If so, will buy at least 2 of these.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So wait is this good for PS3 forced to 720p? Will it work if the tv is a 4k tv?

Also work for PSVR games using Pro to further help with jaggies?

If so, will buy at least 2 of these.
For PS3 yes, the mcable would upscale 720p@60Hz to 1080p and mclassic would upscale to 1440p. In both cases it would apply AA and recoloring as well. The 4K TV would do its own upscale as well so the image fits the screen.

The AA/recoloring also works for PSVR which runs 90/120Hz, but the mcable/mclassic has to be fiddled between the output box and the headset (only the regular HDMI cable part).

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
For PS3 yes, the mcable would upscale 720p@60Hz to 1080p and mclassic would upscale to 1440p. In both cases it would apply AA and recoloring as well. The 4K TV would do its own upscale as well so the image fits the screen.

The AA/recoloring also works for PSVR which runs 90/120Hz, but the mcable/mclassic has to be fiddled between the output box and the headset (only the regular HDMI cable part).
Sweet! Thanks for the info!!

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Luckyyyyy ! I'm still waiting mine (Europe) but it got shipped so I should have it tomorrow, maybe.

Very pleased with the results so far. It definitely makes the colors appear "richer" and also noticeably smoothed out aliasing without making the image look weird. Tested on the new Zelda and it looks great! I will do some more testing tonight, but so far I think this is a solid little device!

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone recommend a cheap - but decent - HDMI splitter that does 4K at 60hz? I want to use the Mclassic to connect my Switch, Wii (using Wii2hDMI) and PS3 to my 4K HDR TV.

I was looking at an Amazon basics model but it doesn't do 60hz. It was £16, which was a decent price. Don't want to spend too much more than that.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Got mine in and have been tinkering with it all day and holy shit....this thing does wonders for 480p to 1080p. Gamecube games look so much more colorful and cleaner. WIsh I had a capture card so I could post some screenshots for y'all!

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Nice. I have the "first gen" mClassic (mCable Gaming Edition) and your pic looks like it has better AA than my device is capable of. Can you give Astral Chain a try if you have the game and post some pics here as well?

Will do. I will grab some shots tomorrow. Tried to post a video of Mario Kart but youtube compresses the hell out of the video and it looks junky. oh well. 😢

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Will do. I will grab some shots tomorrow. Tried to post a video of Mario Kart but youtube compresses the hell out of the video and it looks junky. oh well. 😢
Upscaling to 4k and uploading it in that res can help make it less compressed, I would not use 1080p or lower for gaming vids on Youtube.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so just testing a bit and christ. This is noticeably improved from the mcable.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
Meanwhile, Marseille Inc. themselves have now finally tested Astral Chain with the mClassic. Awesome results and important info for games with dynamic resolutions sub 1080p:

Can't wait for my shipping confirmation. What do you guys use to get a HDMI signal from a gamecube. A GCHD MKII etc. is way too expensive and rare. Do you think a simple RGB-Scart to HDMI converter is enough when i use it in conjunction with the mClassic to raise the image quality?

Nov 8, 2017
Can't wait for my shipping confirmation. What do you guys use to get a HDMI signal from a gamecube. A GCHD MKII etc. is way too expensive and rare. Do you think a simple RGB-Scart to HDMI is enough when i use it in conjunction with the mClassic to raise the image quality?

I've got a Retrotink T2X but I only have 576i output to begin with so it's not perfectly ideal.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Just had a Royal Mail email to say a package from Collext will arrive tomorrow. Looks like UK orders are shipping out today. Really looking forward to playing around with this on the Switch, been holding off on a few games waiting for it.

JNH

Oct 27, 2017
France
Just had a Royal Mail email to say a package from Collext will arrive tomorrow. Looks like UK orders are shipping out today. Really looking forward to playing around with this on the Switch, been holding off on a few games waiting for it.
Ah thx ! I was worried to receive any mail, I forgot it's a bit later from UK.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile, Marseille Inc. themselves have now finally tested Astral Chain with the mClassic. Awesome results and important info for games with dynamic resolutions sub 1080p:

Can't wait for my shipping confirmation. What do you guys use to get a HDMI signal from a gamecube. A GCHD MKII etc. is way too expensive and rare. Do you think a simple RGB-Scart to HDMI converter is enough when i use it in conjunction with the mClassic to raise the image quality?

I won't bother switching my switch to 720p on my 4k Tv. I hope it still better than them cable like this. In 1080p

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
It's an internal mod called "Wii Dual" that adds HDMI and RGB output to your Wii with zero lag as a true digital-to-digital upgrade solution. It's pretty much the same concept as UltraHDMI for the N64 or DCHDMI for the Dreamcast.

I seriously considered this mod, but for the look I'm after (which is razor sharp pixels, even on 480i, even if it means more aliasing) after a bunch of research I found that Wii component output going into an OSSC with 4x line doubling achieved exactly what I was hoping for, with the added benefit of also working with my PS2 and original Xbox, all 3 achieving way better image quality than using the Wii U, PS3 60 gig, or 360's backwards compatibility through HDMI. I also love how the Wii outputs Virtual Console games at their original resolutions, so those games also end up looking really good going through my OSSC.

I do really envy the plug and play HDMI simplicity of the Wii Dual, though.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017

Ahhh so thats who the text was off. I cannot wait to try this with my Switch and Wii.

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone recommend a cheap - but decent - HDMI splitter that does 4K at 60hz? I want to use the Mclassic to connect my Switch, Wii (using Wii2hDMI) and PS3 to my 4K HDR TV.

I was looking at an Amazon basics model but it doesn't do 60hz. It was £16, which was a decent price. Don't want to spend too much more than that.

I have this one and it's been good so far:

Portta HDMI switch

Was under £30 when I bought it a couple years ago but has gone up a little since then. You might get lucky finding it cheaper on ebay or something.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Yeah that's weird, they say to set it to output in 720p to get a great upscale to 1440p (on a 1440p screen), but they show Mario Kart 8 which runs in native 1080p, so it would downgrade the image...

And the chart above state that 1080p60 can be upscaled to 1440p60, so why lower the resolution to 720p when most games are 900 to 1080p ?

I hope I won't be disappointed, I bought one, I currently have the mCable Gaming Edition and it's great with the Switch set to 1080p on my 4K TV, maybe this one will output 1440p for the Switch on 4K TVs, too bad it can't upscale to 4K60... (only 1080p24-30 to 4K24-30 is supported).

720p scales 1:1 to 1440p so you won't have additional blur from a non-integer scale. That's most likely the reason why they suggest that. 1:1 scaling from 1080p is 4K and 1440p would be 5K. Seems the device just doesn't have the horsepower to upscale 1080p to 4K efficiently.

The end result might vary. It's already been shown on PC that upscaling from a lower resolution and applying sharpening etc filters on top can have very good results. The problem is that the more pixels you have to work with the better the end result. 720p has such a limited number of pixels that you should see less detail resolved in distant objects compared to 1080p. I tried integer scaling on my PC and 4K TV when Nvidia added the feature and I would still prefer upscaling from a higher resolution because there was a difference in detail resolved despite the non-integer upscale being more blurry.

The biggest issue that I see on the mClassic apart from the lack of 1080p to 4K 60 Hz upscaling is that you cannot adjust its filters. Sometimes it can be good to fine tune them per game as you might have too much sharpening or not enough. While it would add a lot of cost to have say a USB interface for doing this with your phone or laptop or whatever it would make the device more useful.

Last edited:

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

using this for PS4 pro / Xbox oneX / Apple tv

4K 60hz hdr
40e

harmony elite compatible

99534-DE9-9-D17-4-AD1-BF3-A-4936383-E4-E29.jpg

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017

using this for PS4 pro / Xbox oneX / Apple tv

4K 60hz hdr
40e

harmony elite compatible

99534-DE9-9-D17-4-AD1-BF3-A-4936383-E4-E29.jpg
Can vouch for this as well. I'm using the 3 port version which has my PC, PS4 and UHD Bluray player hooked up to it.

Think it cost me like £30 which is above what you said you wanted to spend, but it was worth it. I tried some of the cheaper ones which apparently supported 4k/60/HDR but I just got a bunch of flickering when trying to play stuff on my TV from my PC.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
I'm not sure how I feel about lowering the Switch resolution to 720P for certain games to get that perfect scaling to 1440P. Seems kind of a pain to stay on top of. But out of curiosity I will try it with Astral Chain to see the difference. I will say this though, with Mario Kart, which is 1080P 60 FPS, it cleans up the image really nice and looks amazing on my LG OLED. Zelda, which is 900P? Cleaned up super nice as well. What I'm getting at is I don't think resolution switching will really be an issue for the most part. Maybe if you are super fussy? From my experience so far, just leaving the Switch alone and letting the mClassic do it's thing seems to be just fine.

Oh, and on a side note. I thought it was strange that this device came with no instructions whatsoever. I had to find a Youtube video to answer my questions on setup. Not that big of a deal I guess, but it would have been nice to know what each switch postion on the mClassic did and also if I could use it directly from the Switch dock instead of in my TV. It turns out you can so it worked out.

Some tips with the Switch.

** DO NOT use the HDMI cable that comes with the Switch. Use a higher bandwidth rated cable that can do 1440p or 4k. The Switch HDMI cable is a basic 1080P rated cable.
** The mClassic can be plugged directly into the Switch dock with the dongle accessory that comes with it. Keep in mind that it also needs to be powered with the included micro USB cable. Fortunately the Switch dock has USB ports to accommodate just fine.

Looking forward to seeing your test images! Fun times!!