• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
im sorry a lot of you cant actually see the images used to compare and contrast just yet. Apparently Era has an issue with embedded images right now, they should be working on fixing that

Actually the images finally work for me that felipepl linked... and dear god, the difference is dramatic, even in Zelda which is below 1080p? Welp, looks like i'm buying this. Really appreciate your making this thread, had no idea such a thing existed.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
No one tried the Seiki cable here? It's a lot cheaper and it's also supposed to add AA to the image and has less than 1ms latency. Only and maybe for some a huge downside is it only supports 30hz@4K. But if you use a 1080p TV with for example a Switch, it would be quite useful. I'm thinking of getting this cable.

Shamefully, I've had the Seiki cable for almost a year but have never gotten around to trying it. I bought it mainly for my PS3, which looks like utter shit on the PC monitor I'm using for my other consoles. I should really dig it out and give it a shot and let people know how well it works (or doesn't).

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How well do these cables work on a PS4 or Switch? Might buy them for the PS3 but Im curious

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
How well do these cables work on a PS4 or Switch? Might buy them for the PS3 but Im curious

Based on impressions, they work their absolute best the worse the in game AA solution is and the lower the resolution your game is. So even 1080p games on PS4 for example can have a good impact if the game you are playing never had AA in the first place like DOA5 or Bloodborne or, had an AA solution that didn't actually cover jaggies good. But last gen games would probably work far better because the AA coverage was usually spotty by default and the resolutions are obviously much lower than 1080p. Same with 6th gen games fed through a HDMI adapter like PS2 and such. As well as PS1 games played on PS2.

Just note that a 4K output signal does not work, it has to be 1080p output or below. the TV itself doesn't matter. So to get any results on Pro or XB1X(although its probably not really necessary for these iterative consoles unless your only playing pro/XB1X unpatched games), you have to lower the system output to 1080p.

Oct 26, 2017
Price of the mcable is keeping me away but the Cinema version is about right at $70. Found a comparison b/w the two at overclockers and the OP seemed to prefer the Cinema version? Wish there weren't more comparisons b/w the two

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Based on impressions, they work their absolute best the worse the in game AA solution is and the lower the resolution your game is. So even 1080p games on ps4 for example can have a good impact if the game you are playing never had AA in the first place like DOA5 or Bloodborne or had an AA solution that didn't actually cover jaggies good.

Just note that a 4K output signal does not work, it has to be 1080p output or below. the TV itself doesn't matter
Yep, DOA 5 LR would be a great one to try it on.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not if your playing Pro patched games at 4K. 4K output signal from the console automatically does not work, you get the same signal as a normal HDMI cable, and even if it did, the actual clarity from the image your already getting would negate the post process SMAA solution

I see, thanks.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. How can a cable increase the picture quality of a digital signal? I was under the impression that HDMI carried an uncompressed (aka lossless) feed consisting of "ones & zeros." And if any of that data is lost, the picture will go blank.
Its a post processing effect that the cable does because it has its own processor in line. It does the same kind of filtering that any graphics device like a game console or a PC could do internally. However, there is a slight cost.This post processing effect slightly blurs the overalls image therefore there is a slight loss in picture quality. Your eyes however have an easier time detecting the stair stepped edges of an aliased image than the small smudged details to the extent that this cable works.

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we'll get more players in the market, offering post processing units that extend beyond HDMI ? Certainly feels like this could extend beyond 1080p?

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Price of the mcable is keeping me away but the Cinema version is about right at $70. Found a comparison b/w the two at overclockers and the OP seemed to prefer the Cinema version? Wish there weren't more comparisons b/w the two
Link? I was looking for something like that but couldn't find anything so just ordered the gaming edition off amazon. Hasn't shipped though so I can still cancel it if the cinema version is a better buy. I just want less jaggies and no 'noticeable' input lag.

EDIT: never mind found it, I still prefer the gaming edition. The cinema version doesn't work as well on jaggies (my main reason for getting it).

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
So how do you actually connect this cable? All my consoles and PC are connected to my surround receiver as inputs. One HDMI output goes to the TV. Where do I connect this HDMI upscale cable? As the output cable from receiver to TV? Or does it needs to be directly connected from console to TV?

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017

It's weird, in his review he states that the gaming edition blurs textures slightly. In all the other comparisons I've seen from people here and elsewhere I haven't seen anyone else complain about that and also noticed in the comparisons that they look sharper afterwards.

But yeah, gaming edition for me. It does much better vs jaggies.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone, first post here - I got the mCable Gaming Edition (and made some comparisons with Switch and PS4 games):

Comparisons:

oVxxSIz.jpg

BpYyQBB.jpg

Switch games:

Generic:
1d2S3AN.jpg

mCable:
7Tkzfdt.jpg

Generic:
XmJEIRk.jpg

mCable:
eK9H1vI.jpg

Generic:
l6lqweX.jpg

mCable:
ILREr8J.jpg

Generic:
m4KHjzm.jpg

mCable:
rIZtDPf.jpg

Generic:
raRnXuG.jpg

mCable:
j4ZMzbd.jpg

Generic:
ITxYAnT.jpg

mCable:
YGCXGyv.jpg

PS4 games (Settings - PS4 Pro / 4K TV set to 1080p. The cable works (as in, a normal HDMI cable) when the system is set to 4K, but no AA is applied):

Driveclub - Generic:
4eCQqYl.jpg

Driveclub - mCable:
cemV59p.jpg

Driveclub - Generic:
TJk2Vqj.jpg

Driveclub - mCable:
TnZKhFa.jpg

Driveclub - Generic:
g3gnhD6.jpg

Driveclub - mCable:
Xr67OMl.jpg

Driveclub - Generic:
gV4wh2w.jpg

Driveclub - mCable:
KbEfOvt.jpg

Alien Isolation - Generic:
QCmajEs.jpg

Alien Isolation - mCable:
raBXw6k.jpg

Bloodborne - Generic:
JFPuFDt.jpg

Bloodborne - mCable:
wIe3Xtc.jpg

Wow, that's... pretty damn noticeable. More than I expected at least.

But that it doesn't also work with 4k/dynamic 4k games greatly reduces the value for me.

Alpolio

Oct 27, 2017
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Its a post processing effect that the cable does because it has its own processor in line. It does the same kind of filtering that any graphics device like a game console or a PC could do internally. However, there is a slight cost.This post processing effect slightly blurs the overalls image therefore there is a slight loss in picture quality. Your eyes however have an easier time detecting the stair stepped edges of an aliased image than the small smudged details to the extent that this cable works.
I get it now. I can also see why it could create input lag -- what you're seeing on the screen is a tick slower than what's happening in the system.

Silentbomber

Oct 27, 2017
I was under the impression that a digital signal is just that, and a fancy cable is not going to improve image quality ?

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd pick up a display port cable that does something like 4-8x msaa in a heartbeat.

felipepl's screenshots seem very promising though, that's actually pretty nuts.

What's the limit to this magic? Can it do.... txaa?

------Watching that linus video on the first page I'm not all that pleased:

The special cable image is on the right
UMugq3h.jpg

hard pass for now

Last edited:

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I get it now. I can also see why it could create input lag -- what you're seeing on the screen is a tick slower than what's happening in the system.
Linus and co reviewed it, measured lag with tools and said they were unable to detect any difference with or without cable. So if there's lag, it's so small it's undetectable even with a tool

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Again, this generally works best for games where the aliasing is noticeable or the res is low(or both), its not really here to add more on top of already properly aliased or high res(beyond 1080p) titles

I just wanna keep saying so so people know in what cases they should try it

Oct 25, 2017
The GF will be buying these for me this Friday for my bday. Cant wait!

Wont touch my Switch again until it comes. Cant wait to see Odyssey on it. And BOTW.

Hope they make a 4K one so I can hook it up to my pro

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
I was under the impression that a digital signal is just that, and a fancy cable is not going to improve image quality ?

It has built in hardware that does post processing on the image. Expensive HDMI cables don't generally improve image quality. This is basically an HDMI cable with post processing hardware built in. Generally to accomplish something like this, you'd need another box or computer that the source signal passed through.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
Wont touch my Switch again until it comes. Cant wait to see Odyssey on it. And BOTW.
Do that, and at times you won't believe Odyssey graphics come from Switch. The aliasing removal, the contrast and color enhancements... Man that must be my 10th post on the subject! Because this thing is so good, yet so unreviewed. I'm in holidays for few days, when I come back I'll post additional comparisons.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
waiting for my mcable gaming edition for the switch

In the meantime' i bought a cheaper Philips UhD upscaling câble that's have the same chip as the mcable cinéma , for 35 bucks. I'll use that one for my psvr

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
I see some value in these, but I don't see why you'd ever want to use this with really high quality source material. Even with low-res content, I don't think I'd want any of the contrast 'enhancing' whatevers provided with one of these - and I'm guessing you can't get the one (the post-process AA) without the other. There are some image doubling modes in madVR (a video renderer for PC players) that do the same kind of thing, and I've seen them make something of a difference with relatively low-res content (playing PS4 / PS3 through MPC-HD on desktop with a capture card in the middle), but somehow I doubt the results from one of these cables would be as impressive or namely more clean.

Cocobani

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So how do you actually connect this cable? All my consoles and PC are connected to my surround receiver as inputs. One HDMI output goes to the TV. Where do I connect this HDMI upscale cable? As the output cable from receiver to TV? Or does it needs to be directly connected from console to TV?
I would like to know this as well, I have the same set up and would like to keep it that way. First post on ResetEra :)

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure someone answered this and the answer was: from receiver to TV

My cable gets in Tuesday. What makes sense to me is Switch -> mCable -> Receiver, 1080p output -> HDMI cable -> 4k TV. I don't trust feeding all my sources through this cable if it's connected Receiver -> mCable -> 4k TV direct.

With that being said, will report back!

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I now have the Philips 4K Technicolor and Sagemcom Grundig Up 200 cables. I'll test both and report back. Hoping they'll be as effective, or close to as effective as the Marseille Gaming but cheaper.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I get my gaming edition mCable today, will be testing thouroughly with Mario Odyssey. Can provide before and after screens if anyone's interested

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
The mCable looks neat but I really can't justify buying a $150 HDMI cable. If it was $50 I would think about it.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Using the mCable as the one going from receiver --> TV is probably best. Doing this will allow everything plugged into the receiver to benefit from the cable, but this may not always be desired: if your PC is putting out a high-enough resolution as is, you may not want the other "enhancements" that the cable applies. I know in my case, I'd only want this cable hooked to the Switch, because my PC is already doing downsampling to my 1080p display.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I can't view the images in this thread for some reason (I thought image posts were fixed?), but I've seen comparisons elsewhere. These cables look like they introduce a strong halo effect due to the sharpening. It doesn't sound like that's a concern of many of those here who use one. I dislike that effect and find it takes away from the accuracy of the image. Am I alone here?

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
I can't view the images in this thread for some reason (I thought image posts were fixed?), but I've seen comparisons elsewhere. These cables look like they introduce a strong halo effect due to the sharpening. It doesn't sound like that's a concern of many of those here who use one. I dislike that effect and find it takes away from the accuracy of the image. Am I alone here?
Please provide images to back up your claim.

I've not seen any halo on images taken using the mCable Gaming Edition.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
You might be able to view the images by right-clicking and opening in a new tab - that's how I was able to see most of the comparisons.

I think that those interested in / happy with the cables feel that the AA effect is much more noticeable / positive than the haloing effect is negative. I'd love to see the results in person, since I agree: if the haloing is distracting, it might not be worth the smoothness.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
I'll post some comparison shots tonight when I get mine. I'm pumped for the added anti-aliasing, less pumped about the darker images losing shadow detail though.

Going to see if it's something I can counter balance with tv brightness setting.

Halo-ing, if it's not too bad I can live with on Switch games. Usually it's hard to detect unless right up on the set. But I'll see what it's really like in person tonight.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with a Switch and a 4K TV who can afford the Marseille gaming cable, should order it NOW.

I've had it for few days and it's unbelievable a cable can do so much:

I'm playing Mario Odyssey with it on a 65' TV, and the image looks insane. This art style without aliasing make Switch games look like they come from CEMU.

This is beyond legit. Mario Kart 8 looks absolutely insane on it. FIFA18 manages to now look decent.

It's like my Switch got a graphic card upgrade. This is exactly how it feels.

I can co-sign all of this. Played Odyssey for most of the day on my 65" 4K Bravia with the mCable and it's just mind blowing. It's not entirely consistent with anti-aliasing but when it works it's like playing a CG movie.

Oh man, this is exactly what I would need it for. Switch games look very jaggy on my 4K (X800D) and I sit really close to the TV to compound the issue.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
If the mCable was a box with an IR remote that could turn the processing on and off, I would buy it in a heartbeat.