• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
We had a convo going at some point but it went AWOL after the kerfuffle, so i wanted to make another one to bring attention to this potentially gamechanging thing for older game consoles using HDMI like PS2.

There seem to be several that i want to see if we can discuss with personal recommendations, usage impressions andwhatnot, and we're not talking snake oil like MONSTER cables, we're talking about a real legitimate claim of image superiority here.

First is the Marseille 6' HDMI Cable 4K/UHD Video Processor,aka the Marseille "Cinema" version runs about 70 bucks

mcable_cinema_box__69549.1495774990.png

mcable_box-650.png

Most notably, also from Marsielle is the "gaming" version of the above "cinema" HDMI cord, this one is supposedly the best one for gaming and even puts post process SMAA on top of the game, but its very expensive, easily over 100 dollars.

mcable_gaming_box__31135.1495774219.png

Out of people who have any one of these, which do you recommend if any to get a better picture out of PS2, PS3 games and such? I know that some cords introduce lag, some don't, what do i need to know

Last edited:

DriftedPlanet

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Linus Tech Tips did a review video of the mCable. It seems to be fairly low latency for a television setup and does noticeably reduce aliasing. Dunno that it's really worth $150 usd though. It might be worth it to console users or those who aren't planning to upgrade their gpus anytime soon.

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Yeah, the gaming oriented Marseille seems most reliable, but i'm wondering if the others are good enough for gaming, and the gaming edition just gives that much better quality, or if there is something fundamentally different where your only going to see improvements with the gaming edition. Would rather avoid such a bite out of my wallet

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super interested in these, but yeah they're super expensive. Also hear that only native resolution gets upgraded, in an era of upscaling and dynamic resolution that sounds like a no go.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'd really like to know more about these as well, considering that I have one and don't know if it's working as intended lol. I'm not exactly sure how to effectively compare the difference in IQ. My current one is connecting my soundbar to my tv, with a normal hdmi connecting the soundbar to the Switch (this is the only way I've found online to get surround to work right with soundbars and the Switch?).

Oh, so if your tv is trying to upscale it might not be functioning properly?

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm super interested in these, but yeah they're super expensive. Also hear that only native resolution gets upgraded, in an era of upscaling and dynamic resolution that sounds like a no go.

I've seen wii games compared that are most def not native res and its a night and day difference, same with some PS3 games...i'm mostly wondering about what it would do to ps2 games fed through a TV

DriftedPlanet

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Upon another viewing of the LTT review I linked, the 70 and ~130 cables definitely improve low res media significantly. Probably worth it for anyone who watches older content on hd+ screens.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bought the Marseille gaming and the Philips one that is the same as the marseille non gaming. Will post both impressions later

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I have the Marseille Gaming cable and it's really impressive. You don't see an improvement with every game but some Switch games benefit tremendously. I just started Mario Odyssey and it's probably the best reason to own it so far which is strange since it's not native res and I thought it wouldn't benefit much. I haven't had a chance to try it with a legacy system yet but when I do I'll post impressions.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I may take the plunge on one of these this year. Also interested to hear impressions.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
There are some good comparison shots for the Marsielle gamer cable in the thread over on the other forum. Seems to do a wonder on Switch games.

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The lack of lag time is seriously impressive for a cable that actually introduces its own AA solution and works better the more aliased and or low resolution the game is

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Hi everyone, first post here - I got the mCable Gaming Edition (and made some comparisons with Switch and PS4 games):

Comparisons:

oVxxSIz.jpg

BpYyQBB.jpg

Switch games:

Generic:
1d2S3AN.jpg

mCable:
7Tkzfdt.jpg

Generic:
XmJEIRk.jpg

mCable:
eK9H1vI.jpg

Generic:
l6lqweX.jpg

mCable:
ILREr8J.jpg

Generic:
m4KHjzm.jpg

mCable:
rIZtDPf.jpg

Generic:
raRnXuG.jpg

mCable:
j4ZMzbd.jpg

Generic:
ITxYAnT.jpg

mCable:
YGCXGyv.jpg

PS4 games (Settings - PS4 Pro / 4K TV set to 1080p. The cable works (as in, a normal HDMI cable) when the system is set to 4K, but no AA is applied):

Driveclub - Generic:
4eCQqYl.jpg

Driveclub - mCable:
cemV59p.jpg

Driveclub - Generic:
TJk2Vqj.jpg

Driveclub - mCable:
TnZKhFa.jpg

Driveclub - Generic:
g3gnhD6.jpg

Driveclub - mCable:
Xr67OMl.jpg

Driveclub - Generic:
gV4wh2w.jpg

Driveclub - mCable:
KbEfOvt.jpg

Alien Isolation - Generic:
QCmajEs.jpg

Alien Isolation - mCable:
raBXw6k.jpg

Bloodborne - Generic:
JFPuFDt.jpg

Bloodborne - mCable:
wIe3Xtc.jpg

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty amazing. Hopefully prices drop... eventually. Or console makers start including it with the system.

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Pretty amazing. Hopefully prices drop... eventually. Or console makers start including it with the system.

lol those prices say no console maker would ever dare. I hear this works great with 6th gen machines on an HDTV, 7th gen machines and even Playstation TV funnily enough. But the higher resolution the game is, the less effect it has because the pixel count is so high, 1080p i think is the cut off point for diminishing returns(and i also think you might not be able to get a signal past 1080p anyways)

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the edges end up looking splotchy, like a messy paint job. Maybe it looks better in motion, but I'm not really impressed by the stills here.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
That bloodborne shot is impressive. But I need images on PS3/PSTV like a previous user mentioned, since that's what I primarily play.

replicantUK

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Hmm...might be tempted for the Switch, but not sure if available in the UK yet. Saying that, importing from The States isn't too difficult.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
So if I understand correctly, setting the PS4 Pro to output 4K at system level makes it just a regular HDMI cable, but set it to 1080p for the results? You would have to set a PS3 to output 720p as well, correct? I gotta say its tempting for PS3 stuff.

Last edited:

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
lol those prices say no console maker would ever dare. I hear this works great with 6th gen machines on an HDTV, 7th gen machines and even Playstation TV funnily enough. But the higher resolution the game is, the less effect it has because the pixel count is so high, 1080p i think is the cut off point for diminishing returns(and i also think you might not be able to get a signal past 1080p anyways)

I don't mean right now, but in 4-5 years. But of course, I don't know the cost to make one of these, or the patents involved. I thought the price was high mainly because there's few suppliers and they could get away with it. And I didn't know about the 1080p thing, so thanks for letting me know. It probably won't be worth it for PS5/XBNext then.

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
we also have reports of obviously non native gaming software working great even on non native resolutions, so it may be a case by case basis

I would love a Digital Foundry article on this.

I wish john was here, he'd probably see what he could do

*EDIT* someone explained it better than me

Last edited:

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So if I understand correctly, setting the PS4 Pro to output 4K at system level makes it just a regular HDMI cable, but set it to 1080p for the results. You would have to set a PS3 to output 720p as well, correct? I gotta say its tempting for PS3 stuff.
No, the reason behind setting the PS4 to 1080p is simply because the cable does nothing to 4K outputs and even for non-Pro games, like Bloodborne, the image is upscaled to 4K if settings are automatic.
PS3 should work regardless of video output settings.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
No, the reason behind setting the PS4 to 1080p is simply because the cable does nothing to 4K outputs and even for non-Pro games, like Bloodborne, the image is upscaled to 4K if settings are automatic.
PS3 should work regardless of video output settings.

Ok I see now, very cool. Would probably help out alot on stuff like Nioh or Nier where performance is the focus. Those already looked good at 1080p60, but the added AA would be much welcomed

OP
OP
Inuhanyou

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
it'll work way better on those games on base PS4 as well because the jaggies are pretty noticeable on nier A at 900p with no AA, and same with Nioh's constantly fluctuating res. Games like DOA5 will also extensively benefit cause that had no AA at all, and you could cut yourself on those edges

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tested the mcable hooked up to a switcher? Like having all your systems hooked up normal HDMI to a switcher then have the mcable be the output cable to the TV.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I was actually thinking about making a thread similar to this one, so I'll just post my question here! Does anyone have experience with Wii HDMI adapters? Some of them have pretty decent reviews and they're cheap enough that I'll bite without hesitation if someone on here can put in a good recommendation. Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
I'm interested in this for my PS3, I've got my PS3 connected to my receiver which goes directly to my TV. So I imagine I'd have to connect the HDMI cable to my receiver going to the TV correct? Doing so would effect everything connected to my receiver inputs I'd imagine. Also would this not work with PS3 games that upscale, like MGS4 for example? Would I need to put my PS3 into 720p for this to work universally?

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the cheap Phillips one and found that it doesn't do much for games at 1080p. It just does some sharpening and changes the colours and contrast a bit. Nothing like the extra AA from the newer expensive Marseille cable. It's mainly for movies as it specifically doesn't do 4k upscaling unless there's a 24/25/30hz signal. Although it says it upscales 480p to 1080p so I might break out the Wii to see how it fares.

BSherrod

Oct 27, 2017
Do people still run PtBi that Durante made for PC to add AA to console games? I wonder how these cables compare to that.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Do people still run PtBi that Durante made for PC to add AA to console games? I wonder how these cables compare to that.

I'm at work now, but I can post some comparisons when I get home.

Does somebody can post some feedback on this method ?

I see that the box costs more than 200€ on Amazon.
Do you need a PC to stay connected ?
How is the input lag ?

You run the input from your console into the BlackMagic card and then output it to the display of your choice through your video card, or potentially the Steam Link. So you have to have your PC in the middle for it to work. I generally get around 1 to 2 ms of additional lag with my GTX 1080 when using the HDMI input as reported by PTBI.

Last edited:

Nocturno

Oct 27, 2017
I hate how often "game changer" is used more as a marketing slogan but this cable really deserves the label (assuming it works as advertised).

Hopefully it drops in price fast. It's a God send for collectors.