• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Tomb Raider heads to a new team working on it and this time we get to see another developer's look at HDR.
Nixxes handled the late addition HDR upgrade of Rise of the Tomb Raider and still to this day, one of the best functional examples, offering a capped 4000 nit output and good visible control of max luminance, No wonky contrast adjustments and the option to tweak overall brightness and influence black levels, all using a series of sensible calibration charts.

There are screenshots from the first hour of the game, I don't think I've posted anything intentionally spoiler, however if you want to go in totally cold, then you may not want to look further down.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is certainly no slouch, we have 2 sliders, one to control the peak HDR brightness and another to adjust the brightness.
HDR is this time maxed out at 1500nits , however it is not labeled as such, just set it as per usual (remember to let the screen stew for a little while, some displays take a little while to hit max peak output) - more on this 1500nit limit later.

The good news is here, it's almost impossible to create a poor image.
The below gif is cycling between various different brightness settings. Personally I have left the brightness setting as default.
WLTOs2W.gif

There is also an in-game HDR on/off toggle, something not normally seen in Xbox games, however very common in PS4 games. Unlike games with this option, it does not physically change the HDMI output (and blank out the screen as it changes) it actually clamps the peak brightness at around 400nits (-I need to double check this number). This is the same value we saw the Forza Horizon 4 demo in SDR at, so perhaps this is what we will see in more games moving forwards.

What is particularly great is that no matter where you set the brightness, you will still achieve near black and good levels of low nit shadow. I'd recommend you leave it in the default 50% position on the assumption this is the standard that the game was made to.
Pro-Tip: You can switch the in game slider to SDR, adjust the brightness here and switch it back to HDR and it will work in addition to the HDR brightness setting. This is useful if you are playing in a very light room and are struggling to see as it gives you double the brightness adjustment - However the in game exposure will now be able to clip above the internal limit in places where it normally wouldn't have.

So let's get into it.

Early parts of the game in traditional AAA showoff fashion is set at night time. Not night time in the Rain or Night time with burning fires, but Night time in a Mexican town on Day of the dead. Candles are lit on the Alters generating HDR level light and Neon tube lighting illuminates the bars and states providing another light source

tFvO6wy.jpg

Overall the stand out thing here is not just the HDR, but the incredible PBR lighting and shading and volumetric lighting that is all working in harmony to deliver a real film like presentation.

Interesting the game is using some dynamic colour grading, which is a little more subtle than titles I've seen before. The intensity of the color look up tables driving the grading almost appear to increase and decrease in intensity as you move between areas and as you approach cutscenes.

gsr2oCC.jpg

As we move through this area of the game we see a flatter image tweaking the output to deliver a very carefully controlled filmic image, peak brightness is reduced slightly and blacks appear to be raised slightly. This could either be down to dynamic colour grading or perhaps a light volumetric mist (or an approximation of a haze)

The game's in game camera and photomode simulates a 6 blade aperture camera lens, producing a hexagonal bokeh blur when it is engaged.
qAOxLK9.jpg

Here we can see several different light sources , the Moon and these streetlamps, both output varying degrees of brightness. Note the matt texture wall is reflecting back an appropriate amount of light and the light source that is illuminating the mist appearing as a volume Is not providing a disproportionate amount of light.
This is a really good example of how the HDR itself is not doing the heavy lifting to give these scenes a lifelike look, but the rendering technology and the artful use of lighting and material work throughout the game is what really separates this from other titles.
ORl8IHT.jpg

This is a fairly frequent occasion, the game itself falls broadly within the range of what is doable in SDR, however these small controlled light sources and they way they create realistic looking shading and interact with environments plays a huge part In why the game looks so good.
OgAqyDL.jpg

That's not to say there aren't moment's when the peak brightness is really used for full effect, the sun being a go to spot to validate the in game peak brightness after measuring the slider control
UPfSsPf.png

With some mild supernatural elements too, we also get to see natural looking lighting applied to non-existant objects and materials, giving a juxtaposition of reality and fiction simultaneously.
YicOB6a.png

Everywhere you look, whether it is on the impressive setpieces
WeigXry.jpg

or the in game graphics (yes, this is not from a cutscene), the lighting always remains incredible and the HDR output behaves in exactly as intended.
j3VocnD.png

Coming back to the 1500 nit limit, which is often viewed as a contentious choice by some. Rather than simply let the game run free with a 4000-10000k nit in game output, which we know the developers have either never every seen with their own eyes, here Eidos Montreal have built a game around a real world display.
If you are playing on a display that is close to this you will see how the in game light sources make use of not just this max value, but other values that sit between SDR and 1500nits.

Here we can see 3 different light sources, all producing data of different brightness. Going right back to one issue of HDR content, the white of a piece of paper not being as bright as the white of the sun, we occasionally see games that treat all light sources with the same level of HDR intensity. Shadow of the Tomb Raider has been carefully constructed in such a way that if you have a capable display you will see these differences very clearly and what this helps with is this amazing HDR representation of real world light.

2jsxXTK.png

So all in all, a really really amazing looking game, once of the best of the year and the gen thus far. Shadow of the Tomb Raider is without doubt one of the best examples of HDR you can find , as a perfect example of how when a game is designed and created with HDR in mind, it is a fantastic additive improvement to the visuals of videogames and movies.
Thanks for reading!

caR8Sib.jpg

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The opening blew my mind. This game might have my personal favorite implementation of HDR yet.

AMDfanTO

Nov 8, 2017
Great review, but I wish you were able to test out the Ps4 pro version. The raised black levels and posterisation artefacts are killing the experience for me.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Great analysis as usual EvilBoris . I'm saving my play through for the RTX 20 series cards in the next few weeks. Does PC usually handle HDR output differently than consoles?

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Best looking game I've ever played (PC version). The pristine TAA solution, the amazing HDR implementation and the spectacular use of PBR provide an unbelievable image quality to the game. It almost hurts the gameplay flow since you'll want to stop every 2 minutes to take a gorgeous screenshot.

Fantastic work Eidos Montreal.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Great review, but I wish you were able to test out the Ps4 pro version. The raised black levels and posterisation artefacts are killing the experience for me.
Does the PS4 version even have HDR? The devs were suspiciously avoiding confirmation if it before release.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does the PS4 version even have HDR? The devs were suspiciously avoiding confirmation if it before release.

It does but theres some really off about the game's gamma curve on my tv. It looks extremely dull/washed out unless i turn brightness all the way up in game and add some black correction through the tv.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The IQ in this game is amazing, shame about the performance.

Something I noticed about the HDR in the beginning level, the reflections of the moon are much brighter than the moon itself. What's up with that?

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sounds as though it will be fine for me then. I've yet to have anything look poor in HDR on my Sony 900E. I feel for you KS8000 users. That first year, it was the best set for HDR, but it seems to require very specific settings and tinkering between games.

Good to hear about HDR. Rise really cried out for HDR and it as a shame that it was left out. I don't understand why the devs were intentionally avoiding mention of HDR for PS4 despite proudly discussing it on Xbox. I suspect there is still a lot of Microsoft involvement either on the business or development side (or both).

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I played through the intro of this game thinking "fuck, I bet people with HDR screens are having an even better time". You could tell that it'd look amazing!

Anyone know of any HDR videos of early sections on YouTube? My iPhone X is OLED/HDR and I'd look to see some scenes from Shadow on that screen.

Ohhhht

Oct 29, 2017
Yep, same set. Had a number of people with the same tv mention it in the OT as well. Whatever dynamic color grading its using , it definitely isnt playing ball with the hdr on this tv.
What does? Worst tv for HDR, I've given up on using it full stop. I can never seem to get the brightness right.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
EvilBoris What TV are you using to perform these tests?

This game is a real HDR treat on the X if you have an OLED, with the early part of the game with the candles. The ultra high resolution on X without any checkerboarding, combined with the per-pixel lighting of the OLED means even distant candles light clearly and brightly, giving such an jaw-dropping view as you're walking around. It's truly stunning.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Once again @EvilBoris thank you for your analysis! Haven't had much interest in the reboot trilogy otherwise, but I feel compelled to pick this one up now just to see what the fuss is about visually.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just wait until you make your way further into the game. The HDR starts out solid, as you say, but the team does some remarkable things with it later.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
EvilBoris What TV are you using to perform these tests?

This game is a real HDR treat on the X if you have an OLED, with the early part of the game with the candles. The ultra high resolution on X without any checkerboarding, combined with the per-pixel lighting of the OLED means even distant candles light clearly and brightly, giving such an jaw-dropping view as you're walking around. It's truly stunning.

Once again @EvilBoris thank you for your analysis! Haven't had much interest in the reboot trilogy otherwise, but I feel compelled to pick this one up now just to see what the fuss is about visually.
It's a looked, I've actually been enjoying it in the high framerate mode, the image is very good even at 1080p

I'm playing on a KS8000, although the screenshots and data for these tests come straight from the Xbox, so the TV is irrevelant beyond my own gushing about how great I think it looks (my standard settings are in use here, I've not had any issues with Tomb Raider)

I use game mode
backlight 20, brightness 44 , Contrast 95, colour 50, Smart LED high , Dynamic Contrast off
Colour Warm 2, gamma 0 Color space auto.

The only setting I ever adjust is maybe engaging Dynamic contrast on games that have some issues or if it's a bright day.

I'm sure an OLED gets a great workout due to the way in which the HDR data does manifest it in tiny nooks and crevices of the materials and those things such as candles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Great analysis as usual EvilBoris . I'm saving my play through for the RTX 20 series cards in the next few weeks. Does PC usually handle HDR output differently than consoles?

I'd imagine that the actual values used will be identical, but it might look a little difference as you've got drivers and OS image controls that may be slightly different to the locked down box that is a console

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a looked, I've actually been enjoying it in the high framerate mode, the image is very good even at 1080p

I'm playing on a KS8000, although the screenshots and data for these tests come straight from the Xbox, so the TV is irrevelant beyond my own gushing about how great I think it looks (my standard settings are in use here, I've not had any issues with Tomb Raider)

I use game mode
backlight 20, brightness 44 , Contrast 95, colour 50, Smart LED high , Dynamic Contrast off

The only setting I ever adjust is maybe engaging Dynamic contrast on games that have some issues or if it's a bright day.

I'm sure an OLED gets a great workout due to the way in which the HDR data does manifest it in tiny nooks and crevices of the materials and those things such as candles.

Sorry if you have answered this already but im also on the KS8000 and playing on the X1X, and the luminosity setting confused me. it said that the picture on the screen should be uniformly white so i increased the peak value to max. that was the only way to get a white screen. it was set at half by default.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry if you have answered this already but im also on the KS8000 and playing on the X1X, and the luminosity setting confused me. it said that the picture on the screen should be uniformly white so i increased the peak value to max. that was the only way to get a white screen. it was set at half by default.

You turn it up until it just disappears, , which will be close to the righthand side, the KS8000 can get close to 1300nits and the game's slider maxes at 1500.
There is one issue with this screen and that is that the white area is like a 25% window and even a very premium display can't get that bright on such a large area, so you may still be left with a residual bit of logo.

If that isn't disappearing soon enough, then you have got another setting somewhere that is interfering. It's probably about 90% to the max value on mine.

How it works is that the logo is set at a 10k nit value, you are adjusting the output of the background, eventually a point will occur when you either can't see a different with your eyes or the TV starts to ignore the data, so both the background and the logo appears identical.

Tomb Raider doesn't let you go too far beyond the capability of your display, so the worst that would occur would be a slight bit of clipping on the very brightest sources, which you get a fair chunk of in SDR, so it wouldn't necessarily look bad to your eyes anyway.
There is also the ? next to games not using wide colour gamut anyway, so the brightness isn't helping to resolve any additional colour, rather just varying degrees of white.

Last edited:

taggen86

Mar 3, 2018
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is certainly no slouch, we have 2 sliders, one to control the peak HDR brightness and another to adjust the brightness.

Where do you and other people need to put the HDR luminance slider to remove the picture? I want to know if my pc is set up correctly. I can trigger two HDR modes on pc and I want to know which one is correct. 15 and 21 steps from the left removes the picture depending on the HDR mode.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
While many other games look fine with the settings I have on my Sony 930e now, some scenes in Shadow of Tomb Raider look too bright. The day of the dead festival for example looks a tad too bright for my liking for a nighttime scene and the jungles later on can either look a bit too bright or actually too dark, lol.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Where do you and other people need to put the HDR luminance slider to remove the picture? I want to know if my pc is set up correctly. I can trigget two HDR modes on pc and I want to know which one is correct. 15 and 21 steps from the left removes the picture depending on the HDR mode.

I'll have a look for you, different modes giving you different results makes sense, as various different methods of image processing may effect the way this calibration screen displays.

Plenty of TVs will read the higher value pieces of data and make use of them, so whilst they may not be outputting 1000nits , the calibration screen may suggest that your TV is.

There are a couple of things worth noting, most TV's will display their peak output on an area 5-10% of the area of the display. This screen in tomb raider actually is maybe 25% of the screen, which means that you might not actually be setting your display at the values that match with your TV.

This may be an oversight, or the game may be trying to determine the peak brightness it should be sending for a larger area of the screen and working around that instead.

From a data point of view
15 steps is about 750 nits

21 is almost bang on 1000nits

Oct 27, 2017
What is up with HDR and shadows. I dont think they have gotten it right yet. Shadows always seem too dark. That picture looks horrible IMO.

j3VocnD.png

Oct 26, 2017
One thing....

The day of the dead festival, should that look a little bit darker with HDR disabled? Because it does for me. HDR makes the night look a bit brighter than with SDR.

OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm playing on a PS4 pro. If I may, what settings are you using for your tv ?
It's driving me crazy, I'm playing on SDR right now.

I use game mode

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the few games where I feel I have to play it in HDR. The switching from dark to light areas, especially if they're sunny is a thing to behold. Or in the jungle with parts of the sun breaking through, it adds so much depth to the image.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing on a PS4 pro. If I may, what settings are you using for your tv ?
It's driving me crazy, I'm playing on SDR right now.
I'm playing on PC but also have a PS4 Pro. I'm at work so I'll have to share exactly what settings I am using on both my TV and PS4 Pro when I get home later. It's going to be similar to what Boris posted above. Backlight max (always for HDR) Smart LED High... I think I changed Dynamic Contrast to low but I did this specifically for a game I thought was too dark to see and never changed it back... I set mine to Warm 1 for games, warm 2 for movies. You don't want HDR+ turned on. (Fake HDR)

On your Playstation make sure it's set for YUV2160p.

thedas

Jul 25, 2018
I use game mode
Thanks, I tried that and it still looks very much washed out. It's very weird, I never had issues with hdr in games before. Seems like I'm not the only one too.

thedas

Jul 25, 2018
I'm playing on PC but also have a PS4 Pro. I'm at work so I'll have to share exactly what settings I am using on both my TV and PS4 Pro when I get home later. It's going to be similar to what Boris posted above. Backlight max (always for HDR) Smart LED High... I think I changed Dynamic Contrast to low but I did this specifically for a game I thought was too dark to see and never changed it back... I set mine to Warm 1 for games, warm 2 for movies. You don't want HDR+ turned on. (Fake HDR)

On your Playstation make sure it's set for YUV2160p.
You playing the game on PC is probably the reason why your HDR is working properly. Thank you though

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
This is the one game recently where playing on my non HDR PC monitor I thought "man, I bet the HDR looks real good on my PS4," especially the first couple of areas that just sort of looked washed out. Here's to hoping HDR becomes more of a standard thing on PC monitors outside of 4K

The Freqa

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It does but theres some really off about the game's gamma curve on my tv. It looks extremely dull/washed out unless i turn brightness all the way up in game and add some black correction through the tv.
Im finding this with quite a few games with the PS4 Pro, Just about every game i have tried has a very dull look about it bar GT Sport. Yet when i put Netflix on with something in Dolby Vision or 4k HDR im blown away by the picture. If i turn HDR off on the console the picture is insanely brighter. LG B7 TV

Great post OP

Last edited:
OP
OP
EvilBoris

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Dua said PS4 earlier.
Very odd.

If anybody wants to account share their PS4 purchase temporarily, I'll happily take a look at it and see how it compares on my Pro,see if I can get to the bottom of KS8000 and this game.

In the meanwhile I'm trying to upload some HDR footage from my X

thedas

Jul 25, 2018
I mean, are you on Xbox/PC or PS4?
Ah sorry I'm on PS4 pro.
I just tried that and it looks WAY better now even though my brightness setting on my TV is at 20. I think I'm gonna leave it like that.

thedas

Jul 25, 2018
Very odd.

If anybody wants to account share their PS4 purchase temporarily, I'll happily take a look at it and see how it compares on my Pro,see if I can get to the bottom of KS8000 and this game.

In the meanwhile I'm trying to upload some HDR footage from my X
Ugh the one time I buy a physical copy...